Home

Foundation/ wall fix on cabin?updated fix

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Foundation/ wall fix on cabin?updated fix - 10/03/21 11:15 PM

So I’m in the process of purchasing a property that is in
Pretty good shape except the one side of the cabin is built into the dirt about
4 feet and the wall is pushing in a bit and dirt has made its way into the wall
And the floor has a dip to it. There is no concrete or or pillars that I have found on this side that I have found
What would be your advice for a fix.? I’ll post a couple pics so you can see what I’ll be dealing with. Thanks

Attached picture D20F33CC-A957-4131-9065-12ECB49B0942.jpeg
Attached picture 1B35BD59-7A89-4ACC-B5BE-752F2C2D6F79.jpeg
Attached picture 27B91C91-3B06-49DB-AAB1-99BB186BEFF8.jpeg
Attached picture 62F2B532-8852-4BCD-B74B-C95B25641482.jpeg
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:35 AM

If that's wood below grade, I'd plan to tear it down and build new. I think there's going to be a lot of damage and when it's done, you'll still have wood below grade.

If it's sitting on the ground (and not in the ground), jack the whole thing up 18" and put it on concrete footings and piers. I'd want to get it off the ground. Not sure how this is framed but I'm going to bet there is a lot of rot that you can't see.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:39 AM

x2
Posted By: cotton

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:40 AM

x3
Posted By: white17

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:53 AM

Yeah I was going to say raise it 4 feet but I agree you most likely have rotten floor joists, sole plates, and probably a few wall studs rotted on the bottom ends.

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:54 AM

Tearing it down isn’t a option for me and with the grandfathered clause due to how close it is to the water.
So I have to fix it. I was thinking of getting a mini backhoe and digging around the two sides so I can see what
I’m dealing with a little better. The place is around 70 years old and lasted this long under ground surprisingly.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 12:56 AM

Most cabins up north are built on timber laying on the ground, depending on when they were orginaly built. You may have a problem with carpenter ants, and if you do almost guarentee your timbers are all chewed to crap. Like maintence guy said "jack it up if you can get under it and put in pillars and new timber, and do a good inspection. You will have to do a cost projection, to see if it even justified or tear it down. The thing with cabins you don't know what half-brained idea the person came up with that built it.
70 years old more than likely just timbers on the ground.

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Tearing it down isn’t a option for me and with the grandfathered clause due to how close it is to the water.
So I have to fix it. I was thinking of getting a mini backhoe and digging around the two sides so I can see what
I’m dealing with a little better. The place is around 70 years old and lasted this long under ground surprisingly.

That sounds like a place to start then. Get that dirt away so you can jack it up and replace the bad stuff.

No idea what sort of permitting you may need to do but I'll tell you a true story from many years ago that you MIGHT consider.

My late father in law owned an island in Daytona Beach. There was a recreation hall on the island that he wanted to tear down and rebuild . City wouldn't give him a permit EXCEPT to remodel the building.

Being a structural engineer and a devious guy who hated government, he built a completely new building inside the old one....BUT connected to one existing wall.

Then we tore down the old shell. The city didn't like it but he complied with the letter of the permit laugh
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 03:31 PM

Need to dig around it. Create a swale if possible and replace the rot.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 03:40 PM

I inherited a cabin my great uncle built in the 1930s that was sinking into the ground. I took a weeks vacation and jacked it up, tore out the flooring, the sills and any rotted 2 X 4s that needed attention. It was a chore but I got it done. Came out great. It was right on the water and grandfathered in like yours.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 03:51 PM

Loose dirt subsidence requires excavation and tamping, draining, and shoring up. It’s not too hard to do, not even that time consuming. But it has to be done right, or you’ll be back where you started in a few years.
Have you considered gutting the structure down to the framing, pouring a concrete floor, and adding some pillars or other retaining devices that will provide support?
Is there a nearby source of clean or screened aggregate?

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:24 PM

The front and one side of the cabin has concrete pillars and
Treated posts under it. However this side I don’t believe is going to
Have that because I think the front was done when a small addition was
Put onto it, maybe it does but has been under that dirt and water coming off the hill drains
Right into it the way the landscape is. As soon as I’m able I’m go into divert the rainwater and dig out
Around three feet around it and see if there is any kind of supports or if it was just built on the dirt..
if I pull up the sub floor I may get a better idea of what’s under there. The other downfall is that it’s the side
Of the cabin with the well and septic. Could be a can of worms to tackle it this fall.

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:31 PM

Hopefully the well and septic are well spaced shocked
Posted By: bass10

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:31 PM

Looks like some sweat equity but will be well worth it to me. I usually tackle stuff like this when I shouldn't, ha. Good luck!
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:32 PM

It looks like a job for the Maine Cabin Masters!

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:38 PM

White, they are also grandfathered in because they are close lol
I will most definitely get the water tested tho

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 05:41 PM

White, they are also grandfathered in because they are close lol
I will most definitely get the water tested tho

Good idea. It could literally be a can of worms LOL !
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 06:15 PM

Since you can't tear it down and have to fix it...can you fix it by replacing the bottom 24" with concrete block? Saw cut all the way around the cabin cutting off the bottom 2 feet. Set the top aside. If footings and a foundation wall are an option - do that. If not, build 3 courses of concrete block to replace the rotted bottoms of the wall.

Since you won't have any footing for the block to sit on, the block will quickly shift and come apart. So, use bond beam block for all three courses and grout solid with concrete and rebar.

Nail a sole plate to the bottom of the wall and set the top down on your concrete block. Build a nice little shelf for nick-knacks where the block is wider than the walls.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 07:36 PM

Any wood you replace with ground contact needs to be pressure treated or rot proof like Cedar/Osage Orange.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 07:44 PM

I wonder if you can tear down 2 or even 3 of the walls and it would only be a remodel.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 08:03 PM

Helped remodel a lake home where we jacked up the roof, poured new slab,rebuilt all the walls one at a time,set the roof back on, then replaced the roof. Owner got a completely new lakehome on a lot where he couldn't tear down and build new because of setback requirements.

I'd jack it up and rebuild those walls, foundations. Either block or treated lumber.
Posted By: oh trap

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 10/04/21 08:50 PM

have no clue to help but kill some time and watch maine cabin masters.. they fix old run down cabins/camps like yours

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? Update pics - 10/04/21 10:08 PM

I will have to check that. Maybe get some tips from it. Thanks
Guys

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 06/28/22 12:20 AM

We dug out around the foundation jacked up the ceiling tore out floor poured a footing and
Put in a block wall, will repeat that on the one half of the gable end.

Attached picture 61AE3E66-527C-4428-B75E-8931E6E4A740.jpeg
Attached picture 2C1E1E32-26E9-45CC-9C0A-CED72F33C381.jpeg
Attached picture 0B96763A-D42C-4FE3-8082-B72690581667.jpeg
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 06/28/22 01:03 AM

looking good keep posting
Posted By: Osky

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 06/28/22 01:33 AM

They don’t sell ICF’s over there?

Looking good.

Osky

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin? - 06/28/22 02:45 PM

I didn’t look into those osky, maybe I should have lol

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin?updated fix - 06/29/22 05:15 PM

All closed in, need to wrap it and start on the inside.

Attached picture 5146B48B-3627-4538-8D9C-0637BAA6D866.jpeg
Posted By: Boco

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin?updated fix - 06/29/22 05:28 PM

Well done.Thats a big job on a camp.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Foundation/ wall fix on cabin?updated fix - 06/29/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by white17

That sounds like a place to start then. Get that dirt away so you can jack it up and replace the bad stuff.

No idea what sort of permitting you may need to do but I'll tell you a true story from many years ago that you MIGHT consider.

My late father in law owned an island in Daytona Beach. There was a recreation hall on the island that he wanted to tear down and rebuild . City wouldn't give him a permit EXCEPT to remodel the building.

Being a structural engineer and a devious guy who hated government, he built a completely new building inside the old one....BUT connected to one existing wall.

Then we tore down the old shell. The city didn't like it but he complied with the letter of the permit laugh

I've heard of doing this by building the new structure on the OUTSIDE of the old, so you can still use the old structure till it's done.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums