Home

Lost blue Heron

Posted By: Spade

Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 12:26 PM

Wife tried to go out couple days ago, and this was on the front porch, every time she would open the door it would start clacking it's beak. Man they are loud when they do that.

Attached picture HERON_Moment.jpg
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 12:49 PM

My friend had one hanging around like that. He threw a blanket over it and moved it a few miles away.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 01:01 PM

We have a lot around here. They like to "fish" in my pond. I sic the dogs on them whenever I see them.

I just returned from a job by a large lake in northern NJ. We had one hanging out on the island I was staying on. Every time I'd go out to fish or otherwise disturb it, it would flap off making a raucous, very disturbed sounding call.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 02:33 PM

A few years ago, I had my bait basket in the lake with about 2 dozen sucker minnows. I forgot to close the lid and a heron cleaned them out.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 02:41 PM

Watch that beak/spear if you grab one..Healthy ones are pretty skittish, but sick or injured you can usually catch, and they still put up a fight...
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 07:08 PM

We have one hanging around. I saw it by the garage apple tree 2 days ago and in the hedge row last week. Mowing the lawn Saturday, he was in the field next to my neighbor.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 07:28 PM

Indians would make a pipe stem out of the leg bone
Posted By: MJM

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 07:31 PM

I wonder if they taste just like fish with enough tarter sauce on them?
Posted By: eric space

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 07:38 PM

They do not just eat fish and frogs. Around here they stand out in the hayfields and eat meadow voles and mice. Also are death on chipmunks. Snapping turtles get a few of them. Multiple snappers can eat a whole bird but the one that eats the head will poop out the bill. Couple of times I have had heron bills in the bottom of my snapping turtle transport barrels.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 07:58 PM

From its appearance, going of its humped up posture and fluffed up feathers, that blue heron does not have long to live.

Keith
Posted By: Tray

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/05/21 09:57 PM

Kinda a cool bird in breeding plumage, photographed this one in Florida eating a eel.

Attached picture 1333C7A1-919C-43D6-9949-829833602808.jpeg
Attached picture 00CEA4D8-43A4-4CFC-BC5F-25DF44E9BBDD.jpeg
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 06:23 AM

Funniest thing I ever witnessed was Jerry releasing one from a foothold.

Their necks REALLY .Are long.. It beat the crap out of him with his wings.

Jerry was duckin. He fiinally got his head penned down with his foot and released it

You shoulda seen the stream.of crap he let fly

I nearly wet my pants laughing
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 11:50 AM

An obviously sick egret took up residence by the main house at the farm this spring. Despite efforts to help it, including a deputy game warden taking it away, it died. West Nile, poison, snake bite? Never got an answer
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 02:25 PM

Be careful if you handle one, l had one knock the lens out of my glasses on a rescue. Could have lost an eye. No good deed goes un punished!
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by PAlltheway
An obviously sick egret took up residence by the main house at the farm this spring. Despite efforts to help it, including a deputy game warden taking it away, it died. West Nile, poison, snake bite? Never got an answer

Lead poisoning?, seems to be the leading cause of death in these parts.
Posted By: run

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by eric space
They do not just eat fish and frogs. Around here they stand out in the hayfields and eat meadow voles and mice. Also are death on chipmunks. Snapping turtles get a few of them. Multiple snappers can eat a whole bird but the one that eats the head will poop out the bill. Couple of times I have had heron bills in the bottom of my snapping turtle transport barrels.

X2.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 03:45 PM

I wish they weren't endangered! If they weren't, I'd shoot every one of the dang things! mad
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
I wish they weren't endangered! If they weren't, I'd shoot every one of the dang things! mad

Great Blue Herons are common over a huge range. They are not endangered at all. They are protected by the Migratory Bird Act, that needs to be changed, so that it does not overly protect common nuisance birds like comorants, hawks and owls.

Keith
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 03:58 PM

I haven't yet tangled with one but my lone good dead involving a pelican left me feeling punished. He had tangled in some bank lines and became I am stupid I assumed he would appreciate me setting him free but not so much.

I eventually got 're done but the 5 mins it took looked like a pay per view MMA match with the referee taking his lunch break. Those birds fight dirty so don't trust them.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/06/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Funniest thing I ever witnessed was Jerry releasing one from a foothold.
Their necks REALLY .Are long.. It beat the crap out of him with his wings.
Jerry was duckin. He fiinally got his head penned down with his foot and released it
You shoulda seen the stream.of crap he let fly
I nearly wet my pants laughing

I posted before I read this and I will vouch for Jerry- it looks easy headed in but by the time you get one turned lose you wish you had stuck it in an oven bag and roasted it for an hour!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/07/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tray
Kinda a cool bird in breeding plumage, photographed this one in Florida eating a eel.

That there is an amphiuma. Its a type of salamander with very tiny legs with only 2 or 3 toes on them.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Lost blue Heron - 10/07/21 02:10 AM

my neighbor has one that comes into his yard every morning no water around just stands and stares or walks the lawn
© 2024 Trapperman Forums