Home

Best beaver trap for ?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:18 AM

Figured this could actually be constructive with all the beaver experts we got smile so for the following situations ( pick on ore alot) in your opinion what's the best beaver trap and why ?

For :
1. Setting with driving rods
2.Setting with downer wires
3.Setting in rocky water
4. Setting in deep mud
5.setting in deep water
6. Setting with long chain for downing
7.setting with long chain for live catches
8.setting castor mounds
9. Setting (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) breaks
10.blind setting
11. Size restricted states
12. Anything goes states
13. under ice sets
14. Trapping out of a boat
15. Walking in
16. Out of the box trap
17. Trap good for tinkering
Posted By: warrior

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:20 AM

CDR

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
CDR

Is it bad I saw this coming from a mile away grin question though , have you tried the clones that wild life control supplies is making ?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:22 AM

Out of a boat...snares. Though you might hit a Jaws scenario as you might need a bigger boat as you can easily set way too many snares and catch more beaver than a barge can haul on certain rivers, especially in the south.

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Out of a boat...snares. Though you might hit a Jaws scenario as you might need a bigger boat as you can easily set way too many snares and catch more beaver than a barge can haul on certain rivers, especially in the south.

Favorite snare set up for out of the boat ?
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Figured this could actually be constructive with all the beaver experts we got smile so for the following situations ( pick on ore alot) in your opinion what's the best beaver trap and why ?

For :
3.Setting in rocky water
4. Setting in deep mud
5.setting in deep water
8.setting castor mounds
10.blind setting
12. Anything goes states
13. under ice sets
15. Walking in
16. Out of the box trap

I'd say it would do most of those. I've seen old school sets with foot hold under the ice.

Just realized people that this is a different post. So I'd say NO BS but apparently what do I know

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:25 AM

Actually, anything involving a river...snares. Ive lost too many CDRs and 330s to run anything but snares if a rain hits upstream that I wasnt aware of and floods me out downstream.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:25 AM

Not yet and technically they are not clones as Alan bought the design. These are the third iteration of the CDR.

The original, sold and made for WCS then bought by WCS during that time, now these. The second model had a few issues of fit and finish.

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
CDR

I'm well aware that the majority of the people on here like CDR and MB750 based on previous posts I've dug up.

I've been around on here for around 10 years thru my father's account so I'm far from new

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

Favorite snare set up for out of the boat ?

premade snare supports w/ 48"snare to a 10-ft extension
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:31 AM

Hmmm...I don't care to engage in debates

It's a Ford
Chevy
Dodge thing....
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

It's a Ford
Chevy
Dodge thing....

X2 with this. All traps and snares have there place. When I set for spring beaver I feel like a traveling trap dealer. Just a thought to ponder.

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

It's a Ford
Chevy
Dodge thing....

Can be good if made in a constructive way though

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 330 Belisle

For :
3.Setting in rocky water
4. Setting in deep mud
5.setting in deep water
8.setting castor mounds
10.blind setting
12. Anything goes states
13. under ice sets
15. Walking in
16. Out of the box trap

I'd say it would do most of those. I've seen old school sets with foot hold under the ice.

Just realized people that this is a different post. So I'd say NO BS but apparently what do I know

Well was hoping all the folk jumping on you would come over here and be a Lil constructive buuuuuttt, meh these type of there's never seem to go too far anymore
Posted By: J Staton

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 02:42 AM

No. 15 would also be snares. You can carry a lot of snares in a backpack.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 03:15 AM

I take 99% or more of my beaver with 330's open water and underice.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I take 99% or more of my beaver with 330's open water and underice.

Yep 330 here. For the most part.

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by 330 Belisle
[quote=Wolfdog91]Figured this could actually be constructive with all the beaver experts we

Well was hoping all the folk jumping on you would come over here and be a Lil constructive buuuuuttt, meh these type of there's never seem to go too far anymore

It crossed my mind that's what you were doing

Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 04:49 AM

I'll chime In.
I would never use a beaver foot hold trap that I couldn't set without the use of setters. My go to beaver foot hold trap would be the MB750. I can set them by hand and I can do It while standing In the water.

But like Boco mentioned most of my beaver are caught In 330s. And I can still set them by hand,but a setter does make It easier.

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'll chime In.
I would never use a beaver foot hold trap that I couldn't set without the use of setters. My go to beaver foot hold trap would be the MB750. I can set them by hand and I can do It while standing In the water.

But like Boco mentioned most of my beaver are caught In 330s. And I can still set them by hand,but a setter does make It easier.

I agree I only have two foothold that I currently run but but I do love MB'S I don't run a huge Line only a dozen or twice traps. I much prefer the 330's and 280's
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 12:23 PM

I’ve caught several beaver in #4 double longs, 330’s, 280’s, 1 1/2 longs, #2 coils and longs, #5 longs and TS-85’s. The 1.5’s and 2’s were not set for beaver but happened to catch them. I’d say I like 330’s the best. Quick and easy, can set them by hand. I like TS-85’s because they are easy to set by hand but I’ve had damaged hides from them. #5 long I won’t use anymore because I have trouble getting them open after a catch. I guess my go to traps for beaver are the 330 and #4 double longspring.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 01:35 PM

I've got 330s, some big double long springs, and even a few CDRs and I notice the older I get the heavier they feel Wolfie.

Snares on the other hand move up and down the high bank creeks purdy daggum easily and I want to get more proficient with them
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 02:11 PM

Snares are not legal unless fully submerged here. I confirmed with MNR that this means 100% underwater...which means (water is usually muddy/zero visibility) that they would really only be functionally blind sets... not ideal here in most situations.

I use a lot of Duke #4 CS on rebar drowners to keep costs down if theft becomes an issue. A lot of my beaver trapping is nuisance work and as much as I try to be ninja like when setting and checking, there is always a chance that a yoga pants peta person on a paddle board or kayak will spot and mess with my equipment. This is the same reason that I avoid 330's unless I am confident that no "civilians" will poke at them LOL

So, this is a good discussion I guess, but I use a mix of conibear, CS and LS traps and it largely depends on what I happen to have in the milk crate in the truck at the time LOL. In my eyes, a #5 DLS, a #4 DLS or a #4 CS... Duke, Bridger or otherwise all function equally in terms of putting cuffs on beavers and sending them to Davey Jones' locker and only require a bit of tweeking to the trap bed, approach fencing or etc.

Disclaimer - I have trapped fewer than 100 beaver in my career (but that number is going up rather quickly) and much of that trapping has been nuisance work. Take the above for what it's worth.
Posted By: JSfab

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 09:43 PM

What happened to the best beaver trap thread? I wrote a lengthy reply to it but when I went to post it apparently it was no longer in existence.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/06/21 09:56 PM

Thread appears to have been axed. Somebody must've gotten out of line

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/07/21 12:55 AM

You I made this thread in hopes of......eh never mind them days are long gone.....

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/07/21 01:54 AM

You I made this thread in hopes of......eh never mind them days are long gone.....

Sorry
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/07/21 02:05 AM

If I can not catch them with Duke 330's or snares, forget it.
Not buying $35 foot traps for $10 beaver.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Best beaver trap for ? - 10/08/21 08:34 PM

If I could only have one type total, it would be quality snares. Not just any snares, but snares made by someone that really takes pride in their product and cares enough about their product that they build it right or it doesn't make it out of the shop. Snares are just too versatile. Next would be Belisle 330s for several reasons, the most important reason being their safeties.

If you're asking about footholds, I use MB750s. It's what I use, and I have no complaints. If I had to deal with size restrictions, I would use MB650s that have been modified to be closed jaw. If I could buy factory closed jaw 650s for beaver (actually closed jaw, not just modified to be closed jaw), I would have already ordered them.

I have no experience using other large beaver footholds such as the CDR, TS-85, No B.S., etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use them, I just haven't bought any. I liked MB750s enough to keep ordering them when I wanted more.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums