Home

Deer hunters: Meat or Mount?

Posted By: HayDay

Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 12:55 PM

Me? I'm a meat hunter. Fat yearling does for the freezer and hopefully, a bit less crop damage. Content to let the big guy walk on so he can "frolic in the meadow".

So wondering.......how the average breaks down. How many go for the mount and how many for the meat?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 12:57 PM

Both , some are on the Wall ....the hunt is the Prize and the meat a given.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:02 PM

I get a short time to hunt and more than enough tags , whatever I see within reason.

I don't like wasting time on little ones they take as much time as the big ones and you get very little meat

other than that meat , if 2 are next to each other and one has antlers I would probably shoot that one they also tend to a be a little heavier
Posted By: Posco

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:10 PM

The state issues antlerless permits by lottery for the county I'm in. Not many deer. Scrapes and rubs still get me as excited as when I was a kid. Big antlers keep me out there in the cold and rain
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:12 PM

Meat, but if a nice buck happens by it can be mounted. Small bucks get a pass.

But I don't shoot deer much any more. I just take the kids and let them do all the shooting. As they get older and we hunt national and state forest that may change when the goals is to fill the truck but it won't bee as fun as watching the kids success in person.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:14 PM

It’s almost $50 for a tag here. The tag is good for a Buck or a Doe. So if you shoot a fawn, small Doe, big Doe, small Buck, or big Buck it still costs the same but the amount of meat you get is totally different. I can’t justify putting a $50 tag on a fawn and calling it a season.

So I try my best for a big buck. Big antlers and lots of meat.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Meat, but if a nice buck happens by it can be mounted. Small bucks get a pass.

X2
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:53 PM

I hunt for meat. Just like selling a high end bobcat pelt I got no qualms selling antlers either. I have several times. If I know a salable buck is around where I am hunting I kill it for the meat and the money.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 01:57 PM

Eyes it dies
Brown its down
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
It’s almost $50 for a tag here. The tag is good for a Buck or a Doe. So if you shoot a fawn, small Doe, big Doe, small Buck, or big Buck it still costs the same but the amount of meat you get is totally different. I can’t justify putting a $50 tag on a fawn and calling it a season.

Crazy! Here we get 8 deer for $20.

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:26 PM

I primarily hunt for meat. I don't put in any effort to hunt a big buck. BUT if one walks under me, I'll shoot it.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:34 PM

Here we have to draw a tag. So it is a one deer deal for rifle hunting, and you may not get a tag for several years. I don't feel there is enough meat on one deer to get excited about. I maybe would get more excited about meat hunting if you could fill a freezer.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:35 PM

Meat always, if a decent buck, no mounts ever, just do a simple rack mount and hang up on the wall.

Bryce
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:40 PM

I get 6 tags, license is free, because I'm old. Two bucks and four antlerless. Definitely like getting the meat. I haven't been in a long time, but am planning on going with my son this year.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:47 PM

Brown It's down. I have never had a deer head mounted.
Posted By: kseric

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 02:55 PM

Both
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 03:18 PM

Meat
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 03:18 PM

Meats meat so brown is down. If they happen to be wearing antlers....fine. I only have one 11 point euro mount on the wall but have killed more really nice bucks. Their skulls or racks are out in the garage someplace.

Moosetrot
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 03:25 PM

Mounts are expensive except for euro mounts... Can do those for less than 20 bucks
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 03:35 PM

Used to hunt mule deer for meat, until I spoiled the wife on an elk, now I hunt antlers on deer, because she won't eat deer ! I do miss the jerky though !

I have a life time permit for one mule deer a year as well, so I trophy hunt mule deer and mix up areas every year looking !
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 03:39 PM

All grocery shopping for me. Any where from 6 to 12 (multiple states) as needed. No small animals. Big does mostly but on occasion a nice “grandeous” buck.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 04:06 PM

meat
Posted By: Squash

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 04:08 PM

Both, I have shot 6 bucks that have dressed over 200lbs , one in Northwestern Ontario that dressed 260lbs. All of them were good eating.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 04:10 PM

I throw the racks in a box, dust collectors.

Ill take a 1-1/2 yo over older ones anyday.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 04:11 PM

Both
We try and get 5 deer for the family each year.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 04:29 PM

Bowhunting I hunt the buck I am after and will wait on it until the end of season. I can take a doe if I need it in the back yard about any day of the week.

Gun again I will wait the first few days for that buck that I am after. If it doesn't show then I will take a lone or barren doe from the farm property.

I've only eaten tag soup once in 32 years
Posted By: gcs

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 05:44 PM

Never once waited, or tried to focus on a big one, I always had limited time in the woods, first one that showed up gets it, same with the second and so on till tags were filled. I have taken a few "nicer" bucks, but they made the mistake of showing themselves... I have a pile of antlers outside, most get chewed up by squirrels, could care less, lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 07:15 PM

Shoot a doe for meat sometimes, but always on the lookout for big boy, small bucks I just watch.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Meat always, if a decent buck, no mounts ever, just do a simple rack mount and hang up on the wall.

Bryce

same here.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 07:41 PM

Meat. But I do like the look of a rack on a wood plaque. Not a fan of shoulder mounts. Even the only 140 class buck I'll probably ever shoot is on a Walmart plaque at the cabin lol. Last year and this one The Boy says he'll fill the freezer and thats fine with me.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 07:51 PM

Gotta be a monster to get mounted. Most go on the barn
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 08:07 PM

Strictly a meat hunter, but I always keep the rack, have several spikes and button bucks on the cabin wall, just the skull plate, no taxidermy!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 08:08 PM

I really enjoy venison stew and venison chili and they both taste better with the meat than the horns.

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 08:53 PM

I would have been hunting these if I'd been around in 1900.
[Linked Image]

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher
The antlers on my wall to relive the experience will outlast the meat by a long shot.

Yep. Most of the time I drill a couple small holes to run tie wire through and hang them on the wall of my porch. Some go on plaques.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 09:37 PM

Both I hunt for the meat. I usually get a antler less tag to fill the freezer and keep my normal tag for a mature buck. It has been quite a few years since I have taken a buck.

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 09:41 PM

Looks like a shooter to me, lol.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 09:44 PM

I hunt mature bucks for the challenge. I keep the freezer full of beef. If I shot the first deer I saw I wouldn't get much hunting in.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 09:51 PM

Meat. I'll shoot over a pile of big bucks to hit a 1.5 year old doe.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 09:59 PM

2 bucks per season here and 3 does a day ( yes, per day..) so meat is never a problem and we eat venison year round. I’ll usually be picky during the rut and go for head gear and then fill the rest of the freezers with does.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/06/21 11:26 PM

I rarely shoot a buck because I’m always waiting for a bigger one lol. Typically hunt 3 states
And have ate a lot of tag soup. But eat a lot of doe meat!!
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Paying 50 bucks to shoot one deer is outrageous, I’m glad we just buy a hunting license and can kill 3 bucks and unlimited does. Ticks me off that only 3 bucks now, use to be unlimited, a buck and a doe a day.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 01:09 AM

I kill five does a year and put them all up. Make everything into hamburger meat except the backstraps and tenderloins.
That doesn't mean I don't like to hunt though, I really enjoy watching and seeing big bucks. Chancey
Posted By: Savell

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher
The antlers on my wall to relive the experience will outlast the meat by a long shot.

Yep. Most of the time I drill a couple small holes to run tie wire through and hang them on the wall of my porch. Some go on plaques.

[Linked Image]

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

[Linked Image]

Stallion! You remind me a lot of myself. Carry on.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 01:54 AM

That's an awesome haul anywhere Savell, but particularly in your neck of the woods! Chancey
Posted By: Savell

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 02:04 AM

... had access to some good trinity River bottom ground for awhile is all lol
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 02:07 AM

I'm patient. Passed up a 120 plus class at 50 yards tonight. Looking for something bigger on this particular property. Sarge
Posted By: DavidInMT

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 02:27 AM

Meat
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 02:31 AM

meat. can't eat them antlers!
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 02:37 AM

We usually put 6-8 deer a year in the freezer, my 9 and 11yr old boys will kill 4-5 a year now so I spend my time looking for mature bucks. Deer hunting is my favorite hobby and I would be tagged out first week if I just filled my tags. I pass on a lot of bucks throughout the season and some years I don't get one but I always enjoy the hunt. I've been fortunate to take some really big bucks and hopefully have more to come. This is the buck I'm chasing this year [Linked Image]
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 03:16 AM

Never pass on the first day what you would take on the last day. Makes for an awful short season some years though.

Owl
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 03:37 AM

Meat first, can't eat horns
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 05:55 AM

[Linked Image]

Here’s my trophy room. I have 3 and I like keeping them full.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Deer hunters: Meat or Mount? - 10/07/21 08:29 AM

meat but if a nice one wake out , well i would shoot it , never mounted a deer yet, smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums