Home

new diabetic , what are your recipes

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 05:56 PM

been diagnosed 14 days now type 2 , doc says I have been diabetic for a while last blood work was in 2014. I actually was going to get my blood thinner renewed for another year and they ordered a physical.
oddly the doc put me on thinners after a blood clot in 2020
proving hind sight is 2020 and everything done in 2020 was basically wrong.

I had cut way back on sugar the last several years to control my acid reflux , sugar equaled acid for me , now it is gone as are bread , pasta , potatoes , chips , rice , beer has had to go also

I need to move more also every day , so easy for me to get up , grab coffee (was already on no sugar in coffee now limit milk in coffee also) head to my office and start working take lunch then get off work and make dinner sometimes back to work for a while in the evening or oncall.
weekends I am much more active. I need to add more activity to each day not work all day Saturday on chores.

milk was actually a issue , 11-12g of sugar per 8oz and I would have 1-2 quarts with each meal

I have a meter and watch my numbers now and have been controlling them fairly well with just diet and exercise they have me on metformin also
I hate pills , being on pharmaceuticals , the blood thinners also but heredity tells me those are necessary.

what do you make for suppers

I have made

stir fries with no rice
pot roast no potatoes
lamb Rattatuellie (stewed vegetables)
pork chops and vegatable
cheese burger no bun on lettuce , with mayo and hot sauce
lettuce sandwiches , lettuce lunch meat cheese hot seasoning
brats , cabbage , carrots , onions
taco salad big bowl lots of lettuce , chicken or beef , avacodo , salsa , red peppers , sour cream
chicken parcelade no potatoes chicken with garlic and parsley
baked chicken with vegetable
steak
stir fry with tomato gravy
tomato basil soup with Italian sausage

for snacks when I am moving more an apple , nuts , summer sausage , cheese

looking for more ideas

some things I have on my mind are chili , beef vegetable soup.

what do you eat when out , like at restaurants
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 06:04 PM

You are basically going low carb. Search archives here and on line low carb meals. I started low carb August 7th lost 40 lbs since then. Wife is 5'1' and lost 17, battles thyroid issue. If you need help or support do not hesitate to contact any of us on here. Patrice has amazing meals. Some fruits are really not good check it out. The wife and I are committing a life time change. Good luck.
Posted By: white17

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 08:17 PM

Good book is Protein Power.......author is Eades.............many thanks to Patrice.

I'm not diabetic but it sure helped my blood pressure.

Might try your vegetables raw rather than cooking them. Cooking reduces the fiber. Fiber reduces carbs.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 09:01 PM

thanks for the book tip

the wife is also doing this with me
Posted By: Boco

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 09:11 PM

Fish.
Posted By: Deer Lane

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 09:43 PM

My wife was diagnosed 5 years ago type 2. Runs in her family. Her readings was 700’s. She was on Metformin and her readings started coming down, so did her weight. We both started to be very careful on what we ate. Reading labels, taking classes at the hospital on how to eat. She lost 50 lbs in a year. The doctor took her of the metformin to see how her blood sugar would do. She has never been on any other drugs. She is no longer considered to be diabetic. Still no sugar, very low carbs. A1C checked. It’s been super good. 105-118. So you can change your health. Hang in there.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 09:57 PM

It is tough being diabetic. Had check-up today and A1c was 7.6 up from 7.3 three months ago. Doc said oatmeal is ok for breakfast. No breads and such. Ice cream not too much. I like Coke but he said Coke Zero is ok, not ones with sugar. Type 2 can be managed with diet and exercise. Doc said A1c under 7 is what we want. Bad management of the disease could lead to type 1.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 10:13 PM

Check ruled.me for receipts

On YouTube check

ken DBerryMD
Ketofocus
Jason fung
Dr. Eric berg

Good luck with it
Posted By: rex123

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 10:39 PM

I am diabetic bad management won't lead to type 1. 2 different types. Type 1 you are born with.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 10:52 PM

Just had Drs checkup A1c had dropped to 6.1 from diabetic type 2 to pre-diabetes. Fish and lots of salads for this fat boy.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/08/21 10:59 PM

Rule no 1 - if it tastes good , spit it out
Posted By: Badger23

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 12:24 AM

Do you have a locker over that way that uses natural casings? I found one by me and there's a big difference in my opinion. I know you shoot a few deer a year so get some snack sticks made in different flavors like pepperjack, hot, regular and teryaki if you like that. Buy block cheese and cut it up. If you like cottage cheese that's low carb.
In case you didn't know cool whip or generic whipped topping is low carb for your sweet kick.
Get low carb tortillas, Aldi's is about the cheapest I've found.
If you like shrimp cook it in butter and add some seasoning or make skewers. I got a bunch of individually packaged cod in 5 oz packs from piggly wiggly earlier this year. My wife got different recipes and one she uses often is a cajun cod one with that seasoning.

GCP when you get this way again to Grant county you need to stop at Haubers meats in Dickeyville. That place has the best sticks I've ever had and you can buy them individually in their case. They use natural casings. I heard their ring bologna is real good too.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 12:39 AM

GCP: soups, Chilli, Boiled dinner- ham, cabbage, carrots, onion, Beef vegetable - all low carb veggies - zuchinni etc, Chicken Vegetable, Split pea and ham - but peas are a little higher in carbs, Ham and navy bean soup, Beer Cheese soup - low carb beer or now no beer, Chicken Taco soup.

This is so awesome: Venison in creme sauce, Fry the thin sliced venison, then make heavy creme - mushrooms, pickles, onion, dill pickles little butter and petite tomatoes. Incredible tastes,

Heavy Whipping creme chocolate peanut butter smoothie. Use stevia and almost no carbs great cheat item, can even make it as a parfait type if you wish
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 01:32 AM

Once you've tried a bunch of cheap sweeteners and decide life isn't worth living because they all suck, try monkfruit. It's more expensive but tastes just like sugar.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 01:37 AM

Watch the carrots some can contain a lot of sugar, my uncle type 1 and is skinny as a rail and he still drinks bourbon every night he went to one of those monitors and said it was the best thing he ever did, so I hope the best for you the medicine and testing equipment have come so far since my great grandmother had it and it took her life in the end.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 01:38 AM

Eat real food.
Posted By: SJA

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 01:41 AM

Ask your Dr. about taking apple cider vinegar . . . you may be surprised.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 02:10 AM

Diabetic for years due to other prescribed drugs. Seems ridiculous to take drugs to counter the affects of other drugs.

Talk honestly with your doctor and your nutritionist about what does and doesn't work for you (and your life partner if they participate with you).

Carbs and sugars aren't always bad depending of the type. Rice is the worst for me. Potato salad with broasted chicken thigh actually lowers my numbers after an hour, go figure. Oat and multi-grain breads seem to yield lower spikes. Simple sugars (honey) are better than processed sugars found in most box foods. Cinnamon may help lower numbers by speeding up metabolism along with 'warm/hot spices if you like those.

Going out ... eat things that you like and make sense to you, just in smaller portions. Limit alcohol intake. Protein salads, legumes, proteins, light carbs. If you're not liking your food, life style changes won't work for ya.

Proteins are going to be your friend ... slower metabolic uptake and will keep you fuller over a longer period of time. A full diet of rabbit food didn't work for me, but we are all different. Modifying life style, has the greatest affect on diabetes; drugs provide short term modification of numbers with side effects. Metfromin ER (Glucophage XR ... there are four types ranging in price from same as metformin to insane) may help with some of the side effects. Walmart/Good RX has the best pricing, better than most insurances.

Best of luck!

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
GCP: soups, Chilli, Boiled dinner- ham, cabbage, carrots, onion, Beef vegetable - all low carb veggies - zuchinni etc, Chicken Vegetable, Split pea and ham - but peas are a little higher in carbs, Ham and navy bean soup, Beer Cheese soup - low carb beer or now no beer, Chicken Taco soup.

This is so awesome: Venison in creme sauce, Fry the thin sliced venison, then make heavy creme - mushrooms, pickles, onion, dill pickles little butter and petite tomatoes. Incredible tastes,

Heavy Whipping creme chocolate peanut butter smoothie. Use stevia and almost no carbs great cheat item, can even make it as a parfait type if you wish

tha sounds very good

we do a fair number of soups and stews already

I like pickles and they seem to be all good for a snack

wife is on board

we were out tonight I took her to a knitting thing there was a grocery across the street her knitting thing had food , I found a mustard with no sugar and a roast beef with no sugar , pack of romaine lettuce , a pear and some cheese made a lettuce sandwich with my new mustard it was good and surprisingly filling , tested when I got home an hour after eating 143

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Eat real food.

absolutely , if it takes 30 processes and 9 chemicals it isn't food it is a science experiment
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 05:46 AM

Pete... the most important thing you said was "wife is on board".

This will be the key to,your success. You have to be a team!

56 years here!

God Bless!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 06:54 AM

The food pyramid the government has told us to eat was bad information. Thats why 70-80 % of Americans are becoming insulin resistant. (prediabetic)

I am thin 6' 2" 190lb and always figured I could eat anything I wanted and its true ,I didnt get fat just a inch or two around the midsection even though I exercise. Its a fatty nonalcoholic liver I find out..

I had to get a tooth pulled in the Philippines couple years ago, it broke biting down on a BB eating a goose at home before I left. They would not pull my tooth because I was informed I had high blood pressure. I came home pulled it myself (didn't bleed to death). I had the headaches associated with High blood pressure and generally crappy feeling, (they gave me meds I didnt take them.) so just recently I watched some youtube videos' on the Keto diet that said it will lower your blood pressure too. Lots of success stories in the comment section, folks losing lots of weight on the diet.

I didnt need to lose weight but figured why not try it . So just a month ago I started no sugar very low carb no fruit only berries, no bread, no rice, no potatoes, no flour no grains and vegetable oil or soy. after a month I lost about 10 bs and never felt better. No more headaches, foggy brain. Not tired after I eat. My joint pain all but went away. I had patches of eczema for years no medication would help, cleared right up.

I also do fasting. I dont eat my first meal until about 4:30 and then again before bed.

I am sticking with the diet for now the benefits have been awesome.

You dont have to go without really just have to change ingredients. I use almond flour and coconut flour and monk fruit sugar and make cakes and anything else I want low carb.

I learned to make my own chocolate I could not give that up. so I have Reases peanut butter cups now too .

You can eat all the good fat you want, cheese butter, olive oil, coconut oil, whipped cream butter, eggs are good, all you want. stay away from dairy if you have prostate issues ,that will help that.

Grass fed meat and dairy is said to be best. I eat moose and that's grass fed, and free range my own eggs. Fish ,especially wild caught salmon is very good for you.

Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in lemon water before dinner, its proven to temporarily lower insulin spikes after eating.

Salt your food to taste. Humans need salt just like animals. A new study involving 26 countries observed the salt intake. The lowest heart disease was the countries that ate 4- 5 teaspoons of salt per day.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 10:21 AM

prediabetic, for years , cut out potatoes' ,and [a1c] drop to 5. lows it been in years, never ate many carb's , but cut back on the few I ate, I always exercise now I do more , drop 30 pounds since January, life is good smile
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 10:47 AM

balance physical work with food intake. Lots of water. is what works with me. Sent with prayer.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 10:57 AM

My chemo side effect im taking for my luekemia well it drove up my blood glucose so I had to make diet changes fast. Mediterranean diet cookbooks are a big part of our meal plans. Lots of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish. Grill or bake, or roast but dont fry.
Exercise a lot too. Got my glucose back too under 100 most days. I do stick my finger and test daily.
I shop at Trader Joe's a lot. Many of their breads are low carb no sugar added. They have a no sugar peanut butter too. I get to have toast and peanut butter again with this stuff.
Eggs are great, cheeses, try almond milk unsweetened in your coffee it works.
Chickpeas are good.
Found some non-sugar cured beef jerky too.
Just got to hunt for stuff and watch labels.
I still enjoy a baked potato now and then. Small red or two with no fixens. I'm down 30 lbs since March.
I also started running again. Got a half marathon in 15 days...my 26th one. Cant wait, feels good to be back at it and I will be 56 in February.
You got this.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
My chemo side effect im taking for my luekemia well it drove up my blood glucose so I had to make diet changes fast. Mediterranean diet cookbooks are a big part of our meal plans. Lots of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish. Grill or bake, or roast but dont fry.
Exercise a lot too. Got my glucose back too under 100 most days. I do stick my finger and test daily.
I shop at Trader Joe's a lot. Many of their breads are low carb no sugar added. They have a no sugar peanut butter too. I get to have toast and peanut butter again with this stuff.
Eggs are great, cheeses, try almond milk unsweetened in your coffee it works.
Chickpeas are good.
Found some non-sugar cured beef jerky too.
Just got to hunt for stuff and watch labels.
I still enjoy a baked potato now and then. Small red or two with no fixens. I'm down 30 lbs since March.
I also started running again. Got a half marathon in 15 days...my 26th one. Cant wait, feels good to be back at it and I will be 56 in February.
You got this.

grin

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 11:11 AM

And you really have to watch where they sneak a lot of sugar at us. Ketchup is full of it. So are most cure meats like ham and bacon.
Pay attention to labels, watch what you eat when you got out especially.

West River Rogue...how you doing, man? grin

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 11:23 AM

Im alive and kicking doing the dad thing daily. Waiting the rest of the crops to come off . Gonna take son out today for an outing. The quiet times of life. grin

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 12:50 PM

There are tons of low carb items on the market today. A few I can think of that are very good are the entire line of G Hughes sauces, marinades and condiments, Lewis Keto bread and buns, and Extreme Wellness tortillas.

I agree with people that said you're basically going to be eating a low carb lifestyle. I see a lot saying to do Keto. Keto is basically eating less than 20 net carbs a day. It's hard to follow, but after a while you DO feel better. However, there ARE some precautions, so I highly recommend researching the downsides of Keto before starting it. If you're doing Keto you'll probably need to take some supplements like magnesium and potassium because Keto causes the electrolytes in your body to drop. You WILL need a fiber supplement unless you eat a lot of leafy green vegetables. When you cut out things like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc., you're cutting out all of your sources of fiber except those that come from veggies. I did Keto for a while, and not knowing better, didn't take a Fiber supplement. I also don't eat hardly any veggies, and no leafy green ones. I ended up in the hospital for a week+ with a torn intestine due to it. So, millions of people do Keto, and it can and does work, but please read up on it a bit before jumping in.

I imagine your insurance would cover a few meetings with a Nutritionist, and that would be the best bet for finding out what way of eating is best for you.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 02:15 PM

Hardest to give up was beer and about any alcohol for that matter. Low carb beer still uses tons of sugar for fermentation to feed the yeast.
Posted By: run

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 04:30 PM

Green county Pete , sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wish you good luck dealing with diabetes.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 04:38 PM

We found keto to stringent for us. We do a low carb, cut out refined flours totally.
We have little cheats that don't seem to hurt our weight loss. Eat salads and veggies.
I personally find the Atkins bars and shakes helpful. Many time do coffee then water
In the morning, Atkins shakes and nuts for lunch and one meal a day at day supper.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 08:19 PM

Stay away from Metformin.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/09/21 09:24 PM

It would help many if there was truth in food labels that disguise sugar in other ways. Like "no added sugar" but instead corn syrup is used. Corn syrup is cheaper and has a higher sugar content than pure sugar, that's why its used in soft drinks. When reading lables look for words ending in "ose". Those are substitutes that basically mean sugar. Look for foods with low numbers on the glycemic index, the lower the number, the slower the sugar is released into your body. Like others have mentioned, fiber is important. Its hard to get the recommended daily amount of fiber, but do your best. Metamucil or generic, power can be added to any beverage without effecting the taste. Some people like protein bars with high fiber like Quest bars. They aren't the cheapest but they have a lot of flavors and taste great. Watch Amazon for sales on 12 pack, a lot of time they are half price. Also, dark chocolate is considered healthy, the higher the percent the better it is for you, id go no less than 80 or 85%. Eaten with coffee will cut out the bitter taste. After getting accustomed to dark chocolate, you will find regular chocolate to be way to sweet for your liking. Aldies has good 85% chocolate for a reasonable price. I'm not diabetic, but I started to eat healthier about 5 yrs ago and decided sugar is no good for our bodies. Its hard to avoid it in our culture but I try to control the unnecessary amount if possible. Another thing, Gatorade zero hits the spot if your looking for a refreshing drink. I have a friend who is a Dr, he says zero has all of the same stuff the regular Gatorade has without the added sugar. For snack foods, unsalted peanuts contain unsaturated fat vs saturated fat which is your enemy. Most kinds of nuts are healthy, but peanuts are more pocket book friendly. Exercise when possible, best of luck.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
Just had Drs checkup A1c had dropped to 6.1 from diabetic type 2 to pre-diabetes. Fish and lots of salads for this fat boy.

Way to go Steve you can't do much better than that!
Posted By: white17

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Seems ridiculous to take drugs to counter the affects of other drugs.

GCP: You haven't mentioned this but it just occurred to me that it MIGHT apply in your case.

There is evidence that shows that statin drugs sometimes interfere with insulin. The statin can cause your body to become less sensitive to insulin and therefore more vulnerable to diabetes.

Anyway.........if you do take statins, your doc or docs, all need to know that. They need to decide whether the benefit from the statin is greater than the potential side effect.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 06:17 PM

no I am not on statins

I am on xarelto and a quick search shows people saying they had been under control type 2 diabetics and when they started on xarelto the numbers spiked

I am finding that I can be 120 ish at bed time having been 3 hours post meal , then take my xarelto and wake up 160-170 having eaten nothing it may be late morning having eaten nothing before I start to come back down , then lunch and dinner are having very little effect on my sugar numbers
Posted By: Pike River

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 07:32 PM

Try walking for an hour in the morning before breakfast and after dinner. Keep a good pace until you reach 4 mph. I use that time to listen to podcasts or audio books.
Posted By: run

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 08:18 PM

Good idea, Pike River.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/10/21 08:29 PM

Do not eat anything white!

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/12/21 01:20 AM

Greencountypete, got a fun, once-and-awhile treat for you.
Got both at Walmart and will make you feel like you are eating a real desert like you used to eat before diabetes.
Make the brownies as directed. When still warm out of the oven spoon some into a bowl and then put a couple cold scoops of this Rebel frozen ice cream on top. It's sugar free too, seriously.
Didn't move my glucose numbers much at all and was amazing!
[Linked Image]

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/12/21 02:02 AM

thanks for the suggestions

I will have to look into the brownies

they seem like they might fall under not real food but then again if it covers a craving It might do

I have gumbo soup/stew on the stove right now , can't call it real gumbo it didn't start with a roux and this one has no flour at all it might be a little thin but should taste good.

for lunch I had a taco salad , chicken breast cut up into nice pieces thin so it cooked fast , with a leek and yellow pepper , seasoned that .
a bed of shredded lettuce , a couple tomatoes and an avocado
it was good and it was fast to make made and ate in 30 minutes

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/12/21 04:03 AM

Try using almond flour to make your roux.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/12/21 11:25 AM

I remembered a few more I forgot to list the other day. Riced cauliflower, is a great option for regular rice, virtually no carbs. It can be used in place of potatoes with gravy or in soups, hot dishes, etc. Also low carb, high fiber tortilla shells are a much better option than regular flower tortilla shells. There is no taste difference when used as soft shell tacos, or on a sandwich wrap. In place of regular milk, almond milk to me tastes better and doesn't have the carb content. If you have a Aldies grocery store nearby, they sell 1/2 gallons of almond milk cheaper than regular milk. Everywhere else its more $$.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes - 10/12/21 01:30 PM

the gumbo turned out very good it cooked down thick enough I didn't even miss the flour to thicken the gravy. gumbo with no rice is a little weird but good stuff so just ate it with no rice

I have also been trying taking my xarelto at different times of the day

I think I can say the xarelto definitely elevates the blood sugar I can't get below about 138 untill I am nearly 20 hours out form having taken it.

I had move my schedule to take the xarelto yesterday morning after testing dispite having gone to be with blood sugar in the 120s or below I would always wake up about 150-180 I always took my Xarelto right before bed

last night having moved the xarelto to yesterday morning I could not get get below 140 till 7pm and having taken a walk even what I was eating wasn't hardly changing the numbers more than the expected accuracy of the test strips
this morning having gone to be at 138 woke up 118 that is a first.

calling the doctor today to see what we can do about a different blood thinner or maybe just going to asprin for a while.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums