Home

Anyone carve rocks?

Posted By: ~ADC~

Anyone carve rocks? - 10/08/21 08:22 PM

I do a little messing around grinding folks names into field stones, nothing bigger than I can haul around, but mostly just for gifts. I'm far from professional and my equipment isn't either. Just curious if anyone else dabbles in it???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/08/21 09:07 PM

Looks great to me. Good job, ADC.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/08/21 10:29 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/08/21 10:34 PM

Carved a few pipes out of soapstone.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/08/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
[Linked Image]

Hahahaaaa.Shawshank.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:01 AM

Looks good. I have a stone I want to do the same thing to. What kind of tools did you use?
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
[Linked Image]

Hahahaaaa.Shawshank.

Lol, Yep, one of the best ever!
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:18 AM

Yes what kind of tools do you use?
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:26 AM

Looks good Jamie, if you want it cleaner you'll need a plotter cutter. Nice work.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:36 AM

Sandblast is easier.
Tip, put address # on separate stone because they change.
Yes I've carved.

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by saskbone
Looks good. I have a stone I want to do the same thing to. What kind of tools did you use?

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker

I just have an electric 1/4" die grinder with cheap grinder bits from Harbor Freight and Amazon, and use a garden hose to keep them wet so as to not burn up the bits too fast. Like I said definitely not a professional set up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Craig S.

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Coincidence that its open to the book of Exodus ?? oh man that’s pretty good never noticed that! Lol

To get back on point - I had an uncle who made a marker stone with family name for their front yard. He went to a monument company and had a stencil made. It was a plastic rubber with just the letters you want Etched in the stone cut out . You lay the stencil on the stone and hit it with a sandblaster and some type of aggravate Until you get the desired depth to the letters...It turned out very well. I don’t know what he paid for the stencil and you would have to have a sandblaster and air compressors... your way is definitely a lot more simple and low tech .I like that -now I’m half tempted to try it.
Posted By: possum63

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by saskbone

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker

I just have an electric 1/4" die grinder with cheap grinder bits from Harbor Freight and Amazon, and use a garden hose to keep them wet so as to not burn up the bits too fast. Like I said definitely not a professional set up.

[Linked Image]

That pictures hurts my ears. Lol. 1/4" die grinder on rock has to be one of the worst.

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 03:31 PM

Actually P63, it's not. I suppose because it's wet. It is a lot louder on metal.

I bought a cheap air powered grinder to try, if my air compressor will keep up, it should be a little safer than electric with the hose running on it. LOL
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 06:42 PM

Just chisel the date in a stone on the jobs I do.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Anyone carve rocks? - 10/09/21 06:53 PM

Nice stone work, ridge runner.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums