Home

Shark fishing question

Posted By: foxkidd44

Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 04:16 PM

Ok gang,, who on here have been shark fishing? One of my bucket list items is to go shark fishing…. My question is this,,, are folks allowed to even keep them?? Most fishing shows I see they turn them loose,,, do certain states have length limits off their coasts?? Just curious
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 04:32 PM

Some you can keep, some must be released. Also dependent on the state. They must be handled correctly as soon as their caught or they aren’t worth keeping.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 04:39 PM

In NC you can keep 1 bonnethead, a sharpnose, finetooth, or blacknose of any size, in addition you can keep 1 of any other species over 54" to the fork, now not sure if this includes great whites and hammers. I beleive sand tigers are tottaly protected.

edit: all I ever saw anyone eat were sharpnose, bonnetheads, spinners and blacktips
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 04:59 PM

If you want to keep one for eating, you can't treat them like normal fish.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
If you want to keep one for eating, you can't treat them like normal fish.

Very true, sharks urinate through their skin, as soon as you decide to keep a shark, cut the tail off, bleed them out, gut them and ice them down, this shuts down the production of urine down, also some soak it in milk before cooking. do not eat lemons or finetooths, their skin is yellow for a reason!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 05:53 PM

If you want a trophy, just get a close length, some quick pics and turn it loose. There are blanks for everything and it would have to be a reproduction on a shark anyway.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 07:03 PM

You can eat makos, threshers, porbeagles, any shark with sort-of a kidney system, including great whites, except whites can't be kept anymore, while you can eat the others after bleeding, gutting and icing, you really don't want to...
The rec fishery is essentially catch and release

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 07:14 PM

Wow, I just got some learning done!! I didn’t know sharks urinate through the skin!! Genuinely appreciate the information guys!!
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 07:49 PM

Yeah they are essentially living fossils, been around for beaucoup millions of years. Been around since before God even invented bones lol.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 07:52 PM

Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 07:55 PM

When I was a kid sharks were concidered the coyotes of the water.....to be killed at every opportunity. I remember guys fishing off the beach in Florida with big rigs with about a mile of heavy duty mono. They used fish for bait that were larger than most every freshwater fish I'd catch in a year. After they winched these fish in they either shot them or clubbed the daylights out of them. Then, after a photo or two (never saw anyone save the meat, ever) those fish had their jaws cut out as a trophy, and they were tossed back in the ocean......or left on the beach to draw a crowd.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 08:46 PM

Fox Kidd, I went out in the Chesapeake Bay cobia fishing with my cousin last month we caught some shark that we kept and he prepared it was really good eating. Eric
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 08:49 PM

Salmon Shark can be eaten here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 09:19 PM

To your original question, yes sharks can eat you ...... In the winter, Hilton head island has a good stock of great whites. And its catch and release.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If its a bucket list thing and you want to catch one of these puppies, let me know and I'll " hook you up " with the right guy.

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
To your original question, yes sharks can eat you ...... In the winter, Hilton head island has a good stock of great whites. And its catch and release.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If its a bucket list thing and you want to catch one of these puppies, let me know and I'll " hook you up " with the right guy.
that’s what I’m talking about!!! What would a boat to go out usually run??
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 09:38 PM

I was invited down to Crystal River Fla to gator hunt and shark fish for a week.

Should have just got back today but couldn't go...

Thank you USA for the STILL closed land border despite Canada opening ours this summer ...
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/10/21 10:09 PM

Here is a price on a boat I’ve gone out of OC Maryland on. 10hr trip $1,325

Attached picture 96AEBDE4-9238-4C43-A642-5F287C9621C9.jpeg
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/11/21 12:41 AM

Have eaten makos and hammerheads.

Used to fish with Capt. Mark.Sampson out of Ocean City, MD..

He knows sharks.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/11/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
I was invited down to Crystal River Fla to gator hunt and shark fish for a week.

Thank you USA for the STILL closed land border despite Canada opening ours this summer ...

Don’t you realize we have Idiots running this country.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/11/21 03:06 AM

Either way, even though you live in IL, take the FL shark fishing course. I think you will find it fascinating.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/11/21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by grisseldog
Originally Posted by Hutchy

Don’t you realize we have Idiots running this country.

I'll see your Biden, and raise you a Trudeau...
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/11/21 11:39 PM

I ate reef shark in philippines and pagi(stingray)didnt much care for either. To me they were kind of musty tasting.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/12/21 12:03 AM

DaveP nailed it. Mark Sampson out of OC is one of the best shark guys around. Believe his boat is called Fish Finder. He is about 20 minutes from me, so if you end up fishing with him , hit me up. I’ll put you on some inshore and small sharks . But he is set up for the real deal.

John
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Shark fishing question - 10/12/21 12:44 AM

I was in Alabama around Gulf Shores on vacation thus summer. I was casting spoons in the surf catching lady fish mostly with the occasional bluefish. A couple rednecks next to me were bait fishing. We noticed what looked like a black tip shark cruising in the breakers. The one guy really wanted to try to catch it, so i gave him a ladyfish and and he rigged up with a wire leader and the biggest hook he had. He tossed it out in the breakers and was hooked up on that shark within 30 seconds. The only game warden I've ever seen while surf fishing materialized within a minute. In full voice he yelled out "cut your line or get a ticket!". Ol boy cut it loose immediatly. He said it is illegal to shark fish from the public swim beach. FYI
© 2024 Trapperman Forums