Home

Fur fish an game turn market report

Posted By: coonman220

Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 07:36 PM

Is it accurate ? Didn't sound good especially on coon, say a few late season sales on clear big jumbos from good sections may bring a little interest , also say it not worth pay to have processed , I think rats about same as well as mink , I understand that cost has went up 5 times the amount to ship to China, an I think that the shippers are be pass on lot that cost with low fur prices, it be alright to know how much coon go be worth bfore set out lots traps, inflation an cost gas very bad, wouldn't mind it so much but limted time off from work an lot scrafficies, an lot hrs spent along with job trapping, just try decide how much coon trapping to do, maybe not so much at first an leave bunch connibears out for rat an mink mostly, low prices an cost gas an not have lot spare time is what get me, there were negative reports on prices of pt sales at FHA , that clear out most coon an very best sold for $10 pre commission, not sure if that true, on best coon hard to believe
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 07:40 PM

The answer is probably trap less and work more. It makes more sense. Have you ever thought about moving to Oklahoma?

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 07:46 PM

What do at work now is more enough for me, tired all time, what in Oklahoma ? No I never move there
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 07:49 PM

Dave, Just like your work conditions and problems, nothing will probably change with the fur market either. You have control on your job and working conditions. But...we are all at the mercy of the fur market.

Missed you at Beaman yesterday.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:24 PM

Coonman-just go trap as usual-someone will make money on your fur.Gotta do our part to keep the market from collapsing altogether.

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:32 PM

Busy on weekends from now on, things to do before trapping starts, usally leaves always wait come down real good till first week trap season, lot trees an leaves blow around town an lots raking, maybe better prices in country if the rumor about sell most coon pt at FHA at very cheap prices , or maybe a little better later sales on coon, more of a chance that rats well advance an mink a little, because covid I understand that price of freight to China has gone up 5-6 times of what it was with pre covid times, I am sure the producers are pay lot that with low prices
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:33 PM

Big question will be, how much gas will it cost you to catch x number of coon?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:50 PM

Keep in mind that, due to publication deadlines, the FFG market report is written about 8-10 weeks before publication. So the current article was probably written in July. Situations can change.

If you have issues with how far out that article is written, take it up with the editor at FFG. He sets the deadlines.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:51 PM

The FFG fur market report always seems to me to be overly optimistic. If FFG says that the market is going to suck, it must REALLY be going to suck.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
The FFG fur market report always seems to me to be overly optimistic. If FFG says that the market is going to suck, it must REALLY be going to suck.

It's not in their best interest for trappers to take up golf instead.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 09:17 PM

The only true market value is when you sell them be it fur harvesters or private dealer. Everything is killing the market tariffs, high fuel prices, low fur values and an economy world wide that sucks. The tariffs with China killed us with the last administration also the anti fur movement as always. The only way to make money now especially on coon is damage control and I doubt the market is coming back anytime soon Dave.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 09:26 PM

Screw China.

Figure out how to make money with fur different ways.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 09:38 PM

Another take on this....if you are going to fur trap....don’t set two traps per property....Blitz Trap It! Then pull after say a week.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 10:03 PM

I personally like the fur report in the trappers world. The report in the trapper and predator caller, now just called the trapper, is almost worthless!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 10:09 PM

With natural gas and propane prices getting sky high, there may be a market for a coon hide yet. Be cheaper to buy a coat than to pay your heating bill.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 10:27 PM

Screw trapping. I just go to state conventions and renew my membership every year. I refuse to have someone else make money off my sweat and toil.

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
I personally like the fur report in the trappers world. The report in the trapper and predator caller, now just called the trapper, is almost worthless!

Who writes the fur market reports?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 10:43 PM

Each publication contracts with a “fur market expert” to write their reports.

At one point in time, John Epler wrote for one of the magazines.

Gary Schroeder, Moscow Hide & Fur, writes for FFG

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 11:04 PM

China is only market for coon an lot other stuff is it

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Each publication contracts with a “fur market expert” to write their reports.

At one point in time, John Epler wrote for one of the magazines.

Gary Schroeder, Moscow Hide & Fur, writes for FFG

Jim Gibb writes one here for the Canadian Trapper Magazine.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 11:44 PM

Trapper's World is Keith Winkler.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/11/21 11:55 PM

Trapper's World is Keith Winkler.

John Epler did that one before he retired two years ago.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
What do at work now is more enough for me, tired all time, what in Oklahoma ? No I never move there

You might like it here. If you did move, I would hook you up with a bunch of farmers. I have more to trap than my sons and I can realistically cover in the 6 weeks I trap.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever

Who writes the fur market reports?

Keith winkler writes the fur report for trappers world.

Serge Lariviere writes the report for the trapper, formerly the trapper and predator caller.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 12:11 AM

Dave time to move on to coyotes. Come to Kansas were you can catch 20 or 30 $120 coyotes a day. Coon market in the past. A month or two trapping here you can probably take rest of year off. Maybe write a biography with your extra time. Good money in selling books too.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 01:15 AM

Mike Wilhite writes the report for Trappers Post.

I can't say for sure what the exact price of coon will be no one can. What I can say for sure is it will be below production costs.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 01:21 AM

..as far as turn market goes...I imagine it’ll be another down- turn
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 03:00 AM

Is it accurate ? ...I understand that cost has went up 5 times the amount to ship to China

This is false.

The cost to get a container from China to the US has increased on this scale (depending on your flexibility with dates). But to get a container from the US to China has not changed much.

Current Cost Estimate -
Shanghai to New York - $6060
New York to Shanghai - $608
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 03:42 AM

As long as I continue to get a $10 average for ‘rats, I’ll be happy.
Posted By: martyd

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 04:23 AM

Coonman the key to trapping coons in large numbers this year is that you need to find a market for the meat.
You need to clean the carcass really good and plastic bag every coon separate in clear plastic bag. 1 coon per bag. Leave the feet on them for identification purpose for the buyer. If you have a big freezer fill it up. It might hold 50 cleaned raccoon carcass. Then find a state that allows the sale of the meat. You should average 5.00 or 6.00 per raccoon carcass when you sale them in bulk. Just have to find the state that allows it. Not sure how many raccoons you catch a year but let’s say 200 you might get 1000.00 for the carcass. That will pay a lot of trapping expenses. MD
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Coonman-just go trap as usual-someone will make money on your fur.Gotta do our part to keep the market from collapsing altogether.

Your darn tootin', lol, just be a cog in the wheel.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Screw China.

Figure out how to make money with fur different ways.

X2
Posted By: K52

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by martyd
Coonman the key to trapping coons in large numbers this year is that you need to find a market for the meat.
You need to clean the carcass really good and plastic bag every coon separate in clear plastic bag. 1 coon per bag. Leave the feet on them for identification purpose for the buyer. If you have a big freezer fill it up. It might hold 50 cleaned raccoon carcass. Then find a state that allows the sale of the meat. You should average 5.00 or 6.00 per raccoon carcass when you sale them in bulk. Just have to find the state that allows it. Not sure how many raccoons you catch a year but let’s say 200 you might get 1000.00 for the carcass. That will pay a lot of trapping expenses. MD

This won’t work, the target demographic for these sales isn’t on Coonman’s favorite people’s list.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/12/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by K52

This won’t work, the target demographic for these sales isn’t on Coonman’s favorite people’s list.

And what if those people have a Pandora account?

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 07:55 PM

Dont know of any markets, also how transport lots carcases an keep frozen outstate , my pickup don't pull trailer if did rent one even, an then to keep frozen, burn up profits in trip to sell if did, but more freezers an bags, I have heard possible laws with fed an meat or something that possibly broken when do this, not sure on that, I would if knew any markets around here but really hard find, if u did around here, maybe $1.50 a carcass
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 08:27 PM

Yup
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 08:29 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 10:27 PM

The meat market Is even drying up. The old folks are dying off and younguns are all Into fast food.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
The answer is probably trap less and work more. It makes more sense. Have you ever thought about moving to Oklahoma?

What did we do to deserve that ?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/13/21 11:53 PM

I think technically in PA your not even allowed to sell a coon swizzle stick........Yea, good ole PA.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/14/21 02:48 AM

I ain't any more broke now than I was when I first started trappin'.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/14/21 02:50 AM

Me also Gary

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/14/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
The meat market Is even drying up. The old folks are dying off and younguns are all Into fast food.

Mink are very fast.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/14/21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted by Badger23

What did we do to deserve that ?

Well with all those Klansmen he'll fit right in.

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/14/21 07:51 PM

Surprised even very many smaller buyers like posted , not good business for most buyers to be in, someone like groenwold or just very few big buyers could survive the times
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Fur fish an game turn market report - 10/15/21 03:18 AM

Why don't you apply for the part time police officers job in the town of Epworth?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums