Home

Plumbers—Input Needed

Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 01:13 PM

I have a well for my water source.

I’ve had a small leak at a copper pipe connection for a few weeks. Just a drop every minute or so. A few days ago, when I went to use the hot water at the sink, it sputtered for a few seconds and then started flowing fine. Now, every time I turn hot water on in the house somewhere it sputters. I had a friend come over yesterday to fix the leak and I assumed since there was a leak that air got in the line and that was causing the sputtering.

The problem is still happening though. When he fixed the leak I did go out to my well and cut off the water. Then I opened up all the faucets in the house and let it drain.

Any idea on what is happening and how I can fix this?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 01:17 PM

it can take a few days for air in the lines to get out

worth a try to go turn on all the faucets and let them run hot and cold mix for 15 minutes
Posted By: k snow

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 01:19 PM

Years ago we had a similar issue, turns out it was the bladder in the pressure tank leaking.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

it can take a few days for air in the lines to get out

worth a try to go turn on all the faucets and let them run hot and cold mix for 15 minutes

X2
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 02:14 PM

yep air go to the farthest away faucet let it run. could be air bladder but your tank may not have one.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 02:23 PM

when the air bladder in the pressure tank leaks you often notice the pump kick in and out a lot more than normal you can check how much air pressure it has with a tire gauge on many and check again in a few days with no water running and the pump just kicked off it should be the same or very close.

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 10:13 PM

Let the shower run on hot for 20 plus minutes. Still having the issue.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 10:52 PM

Could be a cracked pipe or fitting in the well on the pump. Especially if the pipe or fittings are pvc.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/12/21 11:15 PM

Your leak to have air in your plumbing would have to be suction side of pump, between pump and well point. A leak on the pressure side causes a puddle or wet spot somewhere. Or like other have said a bad bladder in the pressure tank. Once air in bladder is gone, pump will kick on as soon as water is turned on.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 12:55 AM

My well did that after a long summer of irrigation around me. Couple years of drought required a new deeper well. I had water at 100 foot until the irrigation pumps came on, then it dropped to 190.

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 01:16 AM

Why would it do this with hot water only and not cold?
Posted By: old243

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 01:48 AM

If you have an electric hot water heater. I would guess that you have a short in an element, Still heats some, but slower. Also hard on power usage. Could have started with a shot of lightning. . Have seen this a few times, repairing water heaters. Shut your water heater off for a while and see if you still get air. . old243

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 02:54 PM

Now my hot water is losing heat. Just warm water now.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 03:57 PM

When your buddy worked on the pipe leak did the hot water heater get shout off? I would guess the water was drained before he fixed the leak. Sound like a burned out element to me if it is an electric hot water heater.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
When your buddy worked on the pipe leak did the hot water heater get shout off? I would guess the water was drained before he fixed the leak. Sound like a burned out element to me if it is an electric hot water heater.

There is no such thing as a hot water heater. We heat the cold water.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
When your buddy worked on the pipe leak did the water heater get shout off? I would guess the water was drained before he fixed the leak. Sound like a burned out element to me if it is an electric water heater.

Fixed it for you haha.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Plumbers—Input Needed - 10/13/21 09:44 PM

Sounds like the top element is shot If you only have warm water. To remove air from the water heater I always just pop the relief valve while filling.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums