Posted By: Getting There

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 12:58 PM

I process all the game I shoot.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 12:58 PM

I do. Grew up doing it.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:02 PM

Only deer that ive shot that I didn't process myself was my first buck which went to a local processor and taxidermist.
Posted By: corky

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I do. Grew up doing it.

Same here. Most locals do. Most weekenders don't.
Posted By: adam m

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I do. Grew up doing it.

X2
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:09 PM

Yup I do all my own.. That way I get all the cuts I like..
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:10 PM

Yep, I like knowing how it was handled.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:10 PM

Can't afford not too. So expensive here I'd have about same amount in it as if I just went and bought beef at store
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:25 PM

I do .
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Can't afford not too. So expensive here I'd have about same amount in it as if I just went and bought beef at store

10-4 on that. Specially when you start getting jerky and bologna and sausage and such made up.
Posted By: otterdog

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:42 PM

I do!!!
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:44 PM

Yep...growing up my grandpa was retired and his side business was deer processing. He stayed very very busy running 4 walk in coolers. Been cutting up deer since I was old enough to hold the knife
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:46 PM

Yes, Wont have it any other way, especially if my family and I are going to eat it.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:51 PM

Yep
Posted By: bigboy

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 01:54 PM

Since I prefer to do my own killing it only makes sense that I do my own butchering as well. You know you're getting your meat cut and packaged how you want it, not some co-mingled meat from a rutty buck or one that's been gut shot by the slug army.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:00 PM

Yes been doing it for years.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:00 PM

We process all of our game including deer and bear. Used to take deer in for cutting until the early 80's when I worked in a commercial meat cutter and saw what went on with the deer there.

One year (95) I killed a buck on the opener and had to head to Stuttgart, Arkansas to compete in the World Duck Calling Championship so I took my deer to a cutter that touted that he had a system that guaranteed you got your own deer back. Before I took it in I cut out the inside tenderloins. When I picked it up, there in the box was a package marked "Inside Tenderloins". Never again as I am extremely picky about how my game (food) is handled.

Moosetrot
Posted By: EdP

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:04 PM

I'm not much of a meat cutter but do the best I can and have always done my own. Nothing special, just cuts and some ground. I cut and the wife grinds and wraps.
Posted By: k snow

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:06 PM

Always have and always will.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:14 PM

Yes , we didn't when I was a kid my dad had to be back to work Monday after opening weekend and he didn't get a deer that often nor was it that much to have it done.

once I started shooting deer I learned how.

we have it well set up now bought a nice grinder about 15 years ago after messing with small grinders

grinder is by far the most expensive piece but a good one lasts a long time and does a lot of deer
Posted By: learch

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:25 PM

Process two deer a year and grind all the burger by hand. I’m no expert but enjoy the process.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:31 PM

Process about all the meat we eat here. Done 3 beef steers, helped teach a kid to butcher his own hog. Every thing from coturnix quail, meat rabbits and chickens, turkies, deer etc it is a part of living with out depending..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:35 PM

Yup butcher and fillet all my game
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:37 PM

I do. I was raised mostly by my grandparents and he did his own deer. I did also hunt with my dad and he always did and still does take his to a processer. I could just never justify the cost. Over the years I've collected things to make the job easier, like an electric meat grinder, sausage stuffer, food sealer, etc.

But other than keeping the prime cuts for steaks, I mostly can my deer. I just cut it all up in cubes and throw it in a quart jar, add a beef bouillon cube and fill it with water, then process. It's so versatile done up that way. The water and bouillon make a broth that just needs thickened into gravy. Can use it for stew, "beef" tips, stroganoff, potpies, just deer and gravy... or drain the broth and use the meat to add to to chili, make fajitas or steak sandwiches, bbq deer, whatever.
Posted By: hippie

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:39 PM

All I ever knew was........you shoot it, you finish it. No matter the critter.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I do. I was raised mostly by my grandparents and he did his own deer. I did also hunt with my dad and he always did and still does take his to a processer. I could just never justify the cost. Over the years I've collected things to make the job easier, like an electric meat grinder, sausage stuffer, food sealer, etc.

But other than keeping the prime cuts for steaks, I mostly can my deer. I just cut it all up in cubes and throw it in a quart jar, add a beef bouillon cube and fill it with water, then process. It's so versatile done up that way. The water and bouillon make a broth that just needs thickened into gravy. Can use it for stew, "beef" tips, stroganoff, potpies, just deer and gravy... or drain the broth and use the meat to add to to chili, make fajitas or steak sandwiches, bbq deer, whatever.

I started canning meat a year ago. Great way to process it. Makes a lot of cuts better and great for storage. And like you mentioned can be used a lot of ways. Very convenient to prepare a meal with also.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:42 PM

My All Purpose Boy and I always do our own. We are too picky not to. It is so dang expensive here (right around $100!) that it's like Yes Sir said above.....you'll have near "store-bought" price into it if you pay to have it cut and packaged. I have, because of time restraints, had 4 big game animals cut up by a "professional" butcher....one elk that I had already skinned and mostly deboned already, two skinned and quartered, and trimmed pronghorns, and one doe whitetail. The elk butchers screwed up my burger and also some meat for canning. The pronghorns were barely edible and the Wyoming butcher had only saved about 1/2 of the edible meat I would have. He was shut down by the state that very fall because of sanitation issues. He also lost (??!!) the head/cape of my bro-in-laws pronghorn. The doe whitetail was done by a neighbor that butchered deer. He was a very meticulous guy, so I trusted him.....plus he did them all one at a time so you goy only your own meat back.

When I was a kid there just weren't any deer processers around here, everybody did their own. Now 90% of even the rural folks pay the job done.

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I started canning meat a year ago. Great way to process it. Makes a lot of cuts better and great for storage. And like you mentioned can be used a lot of ways. Very convenient to prepare a meal with also.

Deer butchering is usually a 3 day process for me. It could be done in one or two but I'm lazy lol. The first day I skin and quarter the deer and put it in a cooler of ice. The next day I bone it, chop it up, and at that point package and freeze any steaks I'm planning to keep. The rest goes into the fridge or back into the cooler. The third day I can up all the cut up meat OR grind it into burger or sausage. I usually don't do BOTH from one deer. A deer is either a burger/sausage deer, or a canning deer.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:51 PM

Have for years, my dad taught me and I have taught my son. Only thing I don't do is smoking whole hind quarters, our local butcher shop does that for me.

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Have for years, my dad taught me and I have taught my son. Only thing I don't do is smoking whole hind quarters, our local butcher shop does that for me.

What do you do with the smoked hind quarters? Are they just smoked, or cured and smoked like ham?
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 03:03 PM

Since high school. But take the trimmings in to get cheese garlic summer sausage.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 03:05 PM

I do. I make sausages, jerky, meat sticks, as well as regular cuts on everything we hunt.

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I do. I make sausages, jerky, meat sticks, as well as regular cuts on everything we hunt.

Do you a mix for your deer sticks, or your own recipe?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 04:27 PM

I do most of my own but occasionally take something into town to have jerky or cured hams made up.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 04:35 PM

I've always processed my own. I'm picky with what goes in my freezer. Also, my wife (who fishes, hunts and traps) and I had a prenuptual agrrement. She had to change all the diapers and I have to clean and process all the critters. She was done in a couple years - thirty six years later I'm still going. LOL
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 07:48 PM

I am kinda picky about how my meat is processed so I do everything myself and don’t trust to many others to take the care into it as I do.
Posted By: gcs

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 07:56 PM

I've always butchered our own , showed the son and nephews how to also..It ain't rocket science
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: How many process - 10/13/21 08:46 PM

Have for 50 yrs,,deer hogs,beef ,etc.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 12:54 AM

My son and I do our deer , hogs and small game
To expensive, abt 100.00 bucks for deer around here and never know whose meat your getting.
We take good care of our game right from the shot, some meat in the past , when I did use a processor, the meat was terrible.
No problems now.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 01:44 AM

I do. Was raised that way. Satisfying to fill your freezer with meat you killed and cut up. Especially during these crazy times! Keep the pantry and freezers full.
Posted By: AJE

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:12 AM

I always do. I get the best clean cut of lean meat that way, for less $.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:36 AM

It’s way too easy and rewarding to not.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:46 AM

We do ours. I used to take one in every now and then. Mainly on a Sunday evening hunt during bow when it's 80° and I had to work early the next morning.

But now I'm so much faster I just skin, quarter, and put on ice in a cooler. It can stay on ice quite a while tell I get time to package.

Edit to add . I grew up with single mom and had to learn everything on my own about hunting and field dressing from books, magazines, and rented VHS tapes. Add a lot of trial and error.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:51 AM

Always. I'm to picky to take it anywhere
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 03:08 AM

Yep. Everything always have
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 10:59 AM

Yes
Posted By: curtisd

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 11:12 AM

Yes.

Have been for years.
Between me, my son, and grandkids we do a lot of deer. Last year 22. This year probably around 30.
Posted By: Tim64

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 11:21 AM

yes and I would think most trappers that handle the animals we do would fall in the yes category.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 12:36 PM

Growing up my old man never butchered his own. So of course that's the way i started when out on my own. About 10 years ago i got fed up with paying and being disappointed with results. Got really particular how i wanted my deer so self taught myself to do it. Takes me a long time but i always get max yield and done exactly how i want it.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 12:45 PM

I do mine.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 12:50 PM

Deer I do, bear I bring in.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 01:42 PM

Yep...I do. Cube nearly every cut and vacuum seal in family-sized packages.

Cant afford processors.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:08 PM

Butcher and steak our own. Entering the jerky, sausage stage this year.
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 02:27 PM

Do all our game, pigs, lambs, and poultry. Make our own sausage.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: How many process - 10/14/21 06:11 PM

My boys and I do 3-5 deer every year.
Got to do a bear this year to. That was a little different but turned out good.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums