Home

What a fantastic trapping community we have here

Posted By: foxkidd44

What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 12:28 AM

I know Paul has heard it a gazillion times,,, what he created here has no doubt benefited our trapping community by leaps and bounds. Before other trapping sites existed… trapperman was already sharing the wealth of information which was so badly needed. Lots of beginners were making mistakes , which the antis loved to take advantage of. I find one of the other cool things is that we can actually converse with trappers that we’ve read about, watched videos of,,, etc. lve seen a lot of faces and personalities come and go since I’ve been here( which is a very long time) and hopefully we will have many more. Paul, ty sir. You have done the trapping community proud!!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 12:47 AM

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm merely the caretaker of something that was created by a man by the name of Benny in an effort to "Pass it on".

For the newer members who didn't know how Trapperman came to be, here's the story.

Dad was in Mississippi giving instruction to someone, and I don't recall who it was, perhaps USDA? Anyway, he ran across this fella named Benny who wanted to learn how to trap beavers. He told dad he couldn't afford the instructions, but dad stayed a few extra days anyhow and taught Benny how to trap beavers. Dad gave Benny some traps to get him started too. The traps you see in the headers on these pages are some of the ones dad gave him. When dad was fixing to leave, Benny said he was sorry he couldn't pay for the instructions, but dad simply said, "Pass it on".

After dad passed away, I got a puter that was able to go on the internet. This was in very early 1998. I soon found a trapping site called Otter Creek and found they had a chat room. So, I started going in there most every evening to chat with the regulars. I believe I used the handle Bvr1, but didn't say who I was, because I didn't think it mattered, since no one knew me. After a month or two, Benny, who went by Yup, I believe, was on the chat and asked if I was related to Charles Dobbins. I said yes, I was and that I was his son.

Well, he said that he had a debt to repay. He then laid out this plan for a trapping website for me. He was very adept at doing website graphics and constructing websites. I was hesitant because I wasn't mentally prepared to take this on, since I was dumber than a sack of hammers when it came to computers. He said he'd lead me by the hand and teach me all I needed to know, which he did. He asked what I wanted in a website and we hashed it all out and he said he'd get working on it. He also said it would end up being the premier trapping website on the internet. I had my doubts about me having such a thing, but that didn't deter his efforts.

In a matter of a few days, he sent me a link to Trapperman.com and the first page was a forum, called Trapper Talk. That was a single forum and was not expandable, like forums are today.

When I saw the header come up, I was flabbergasted at how great it looked. Soon he had many of the basic Trapperman pages done, such as Words from the Past, Trapper Tips, the Convention Calendar, the Gallery and Links page.

Then on Otter Creek one night I announced that I had a new website and gave the link. Ever since then, its done nothing but grow.

That folks is how Trapperman.com got started. I'd say Benny "Passed it on" more than a thousand fold. I'm sure dad looks down on this place with pride, and I hope to keep it a place he'd be proud of.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 12:54 AM

Thanks for the info. Been a member before the upgrade in 2006 like a lot of other trappers here. it’s been a great site.
Posted By: nate

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 12:56 AM

That's a very cool story, thanks for sharing that with us.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 01:00 AM

Did Benny ever stay on as a member here.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 01:06 AM

Great story, thanks Paul!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Did Benny ever stay on as a member here.

He drops in occasionally. Here are a few of his posts.

He's a great cook. He was actually on Emeril Live once featuring a burger he came up with.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6900330/speaking-of-great-seafood#Post6900330

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...har-men-dumb-question-for-ya#Post6898622

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6405929/boy-this-stuff-is-delicious#Post6405929
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 03:51 AM

Great story! I've learned soo much and derived a great deal of pleasure from this website. And it has helped me pass the time and get through some tough times recuperating from medical issues. A heartfelt THANKYOU! to Charles Dobbins, Benny and Paul Dobbins!
Posted By: Boco

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 05:01 AM

Best trapping website on the internut.
Posted By: Savell

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Best trapping website on the internut.

.. when’s Canadian bedtime?

.. from what I hear clocks are different in relation to the equator or something
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 09:21 AM

thanks Paul , I learned some thing already today, smile
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 10:29 AM

I concur! Thank you Boss, for providing this daycare center, and taking out the trash when need be. There are some ornery cusses on here.
I've watched Charlie's videos and always liked when he finished making a set he would say "that set is complete." Very meticulous and thorough about what he did.
This is the first place I go while I have morning coffee and the last place I go before turning out the lights.
Thanks to Charles, Paul, and Bennie! And the moderators who act as custodians and clean up the messes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 11:21 AM

Yep Gary, you have to be different to be a trapper. We would all argue that it's a good different grin

Thanks Boss Man for allowing the sand box ornerys to mingle with the sand box sweeties, and 1,000 other salty dogs to jump right in also.
We may toss some sand back and forth but we never aim for the eyes!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Marty

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 11:29 AM

I appreciate being able to be on here...
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 11:35 AM

X2
Posted By: run

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 11:59 AM

Thank you, Mr. Paul Dobbins.
Posted By: gcs

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 02:03 PM

I concur..and the depth of education among the members is outstanding, pretty much ANY question or situation you can come up with will get common sense answers or advice. Doesn't have to be about trapping...
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
I appreciate being able to be on here...

X3
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 02:30 PM

Trapperman is the only social media I do. Thank you Paul and all the people on this site that make it fun to partake of.
Posted By: Actor

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 03:18 PM

Thank you foxkidd44 for the discussion and Paul for your time and due diligence for providing this great site. I have only been a member since 2008, which is pale compared to the number of years I have been trapping. I still find new ideas and techniques every year from those that have been trapping for a much shorter time.

Although, many may know me basically as a muskrat trapper, I have throughout my career trapped every animal that I had an opportunity to trap and was usually pretty successful in doing so. this site is also very helpful for some that have trapped for years, in learning shortcuts and techniques that may be used in other parts of the country.

I believe the most satisfying thing I have gained from this site was the desire to write and publish my book "MUSKRATS". Over the years I have received many comments from those that read and used this book and I hope it will remain in use for years to come. This venture was my way of "Paying Forward" all of the things I have been taught and learned since 1947, when I started trapping.

Garry-
Posted By: GRP

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 03:32 PM

Paul, do you know whereabouts in Mississippi Mr Charles and Benny met to trap beaver? I'm curious.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 03:53 PM

something else I had forgotten to mention earlier..........when we had the live chat room.......I never had to worry about my daughter being on there....I knew she was in good hands..shes a young lady now,,,with babies of her own ...............but she certantinly came up with a fantastic handle.......foxkiddskid..........lol.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: What a fantastic trapping community we have here - 10/14/21 04:17 PM

Some years ago, I ran into Benny who was on another trapping forum. He's a very knowledgeable, interesting person. I think he's the same one Paul mentioned.

After I discovered Trapperman, I saw no reason to look elsewhere. It's like our local Fleet Farm's logo says: "If Fleet Farm doesn't have it, you don't need it."
A lot of good info on Tman from some veteran trappers. A lot of good discussion at times with a wide variety of subjects.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums