Home

Cast iron rust removal

Posted By: nvwrangler

Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:01 AM

I just picked up a big cast iron kettle. Like 5 or 10 gallon size. Its heavily rusted and needs cleaning and seasoning. Was thinking of bead blasting the out side and wire wheel to the inside. But could one do the elctltrocis method at least for the inside?

Ill post pics tomorrow of it
Posted By: AJE

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:10 AM

Maybe consider soaking for a couple days in vinegar & then rinsing out with water

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:15 AM

That's a whole bunch of vinegar lol
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:24 AM

You can mix it 50/50 with water, it just takes a little longer. If it’s real bad you may find pin holes all the way through in spots.

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset
You can mix it 50/50 with water, it just takes a little longer. If it’s real bad you may find pin holes all the way through in spots.

I hope not but for 75 bucks i took the chance.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 02:48 AM

In the past I just oiled and threw into a fire dug out of the ash the next day and the rust is gone.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 03:04 AM

Scouring pads and some elbow grease will do the trick.Keep rinsing until the water is clear. Oil it up good and it should be good until you need it next. Small kettle like that shouldn’t take to long to do unless the rust is extremely bad.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 09:31 AM

fire and start over seasoning , it will take a few coat of lard
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 11:05 AM

Electrolysis works well to clean up the interior.
Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 11:08 AM

lye bath in water. let it soak till its clean. lye wont hurt the cast metal
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 11:16 AM

I did a cast iron griddle a few days ago by soaking it in vinegar and it worked good. I did a frying pan in a hot fire and it warped a bit. but that could have been my fault. either way would work for a kettle.

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Knappett
I did a cast iron griddle a few days ago by soaking it in vinegar and it worked good. I did a frying pan in a hot fire and it warped a bit. but that could have been my fault. either way would work for a kettle.

I guess it could possibly crack in a fire if to hot? I have seen several with a crack in the bottom that could be where the came from.

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Knappett

I guess it could possibly crack in a fire if to hot? I have seen several with a crack in the bottom that could be where the came from.?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 01:17 PM

I wire wheeled one recently turned out good

I thought to stop part way through and take a picture , then again after washing and when all reasoned I went a little heavy with the lard so some spots pooled that is what that is in the finished pan

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 03:53 PM

I read about guys who stay away from vinegar and instead use wire wheels and then table salt as a grit and a potato cut in half for basically a sanding block.

I can tell you the smell of rust being soaked off with vinegar makes me gag.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 04:10 PM

I will wash with vinegar after the major rust is off but can't see using gallons of it to soak $$$ and yes it smells a bit.

yup I am that cheap 1.79 a gallon seems a waste
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/14/21 09:28 PM

If you already have it in the blaster why wouldn't you just do the inside too?????!

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/15/21 01:28 AM

Couple of pics. Its 20 inches wide by 12 inches deep should make a pot of beans once cleaned up. Sitting next to a 14 inch dutch oven .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I guess the rust isn't as bad as i thought. Think I'll sand blast it then sand and season.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/16/21 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPPER TOM
lye wont hurt the cast metal
It can be dangerous to work with though.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Cast iron rust removal - 10/16/21 09:47 AM

nice fine !!! lets see it when finishes
© 2024 Trapperman Forums