Home

Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow

Posted By: strike2x

Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 12:58 AM

Coyote opens tomorrow. Finally. Who else has truck loaded for morning? [Linked Image]
Posted By: ottertrapper

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 01:15 AM

Good luck! Not me they need to prime up some more before I pound some steel. Have fun out there
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 01:31 AM

So pretty up there and land isn't expensive. I wish the deer hunting was better, I'd buy some land.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 01:48 AM

All packed up, and ready. Got all of my trap beds pre dug.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 01:50 AM

Too early for land fur.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 01:58 AM

I am setting up a couple farms and selling to a taxidermist who is ok with the fur right now. I have a nuisance permit but can't sell anything taken under that permit so I waited til opening day.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Too early for land fur.

What is your recommendation on when land fur will be prime enough?

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 02:04 AM

Not sure for your area but I would start around nov 10 for canines.
Marten around nov 1.Cats end of Nov.
This if you are selling into the raw fur market.
Posted By: garart

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 02:15 AM

Not sure for your area but I would start around nov 10 for canines.
Marten around nov 1.Cats end of Nov.
This if you are selling into the raw fur market.

This is right on for the U.P. of michigan, not so sure about those areas 60-70+ miles below the bridge.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 02:26 AM

Most years I start coyote on 11/1 and they are just starting to become saleable and I have to be careful fleshing because of the pulling of hair roots. Strike2X is about 60 miles north of me as the crow flys. Our firearm deer season runs from 11/15-11/30 so I’m pulled during that period. This year has signs of being a strange year so I’m looking at a 12/1 start rather than a 12/1 reset as I normally would.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 02:30 AM

Loading up the truck and camper tomorrow and heading up north Saturday to so some scouting for a few days. Farmers are still in the field, cattle are still in the pastures, deer hunters really don't want me out in the woods and I really don't care to be out there with them either. I plan on waiting a few more weeks until deer season is about over and then will go back up and see if I can thin the coyotes out somewhat then. Will knock on a few doors and see about getting a few more places to trap this fall.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Loading up the truck and camper tomorrow and heading up north Saturday to so some scouting for a few days. Farmers are still in the field, cattle are still in the pastures, deer hunters really don't want me out in the woods and I really don't care to be out there with them either. I plan on waiting a few more weeks until deer season is about over and then will go back up and see if I can thin the coyotes out somewhat then. Will knock on a few doors and see about getting a few more places to trap this fall.

While scouting you might want to introduce yourself to the hunters.They can give you some info on fur in the area occasionally and you may be able to utilize their gutpiles to set up some productive jackpots.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 05:24 PM

I start Nov 1
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 07:21 PM

Beaver and muskrat is open today up here.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/15/21 09:08 PM

HTC having beaver program again lots of them went out beaver hunting today.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 12:02 AM

I was out all day mostly scouting new ground. I did make a few sets to see how well they will work. Found much great sign. I am going to run a few traps now and fill in the line starting November 1st. Did a lot of trail walking and note taking. Will be a big help later on. I didn't even step foot on my usual ground. I already know what is there.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 12:34 AM

Quick question for coyote trappers. Have you ever found coyote scat that looked like mostly apple skins or apple skins and grass. I found 2 piles of scat on opposite sides of a 2 track with coyote tracks in each lane. One pile of scat on each side. Figured a pair of coyote must have found an apple tree and ate some apples and a bit of grass. ( I know it wasn't from a deer hunters stand since baiting is illegal In the lower.) I know coyote will eat apples but never found scat like this. I am sure it was coyote since it was very fresh,like hours old, and tracks also same.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 12:50 AM

Yup, I set a line. Felt good.
Posted By: ottertrapper

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Quick question for coyote trappers. Have you ever found coyote scat that looked like mostly apple skins or apple skins and grass. I found 2 piles of scat on opposite sides of a 2 track with coyote tracks in each lane. One pile of scat on each side. Figured a pair of coyote must have found an apple tree and ate some apples and a bit of grass. ( I know it wasn't from a deer hunters stand since baiting is illegal In the lower.) I know coyote will eat apples but never found scat like this. I am sure it was coyote since it was very fresh,like hours old, and tracks also same.

Oh yes coyotes never pass up an easy free meal they love apples so when apples are abundant pretty common to see their turds like that.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 02:57 AM

good luck guys. I'm starting in November if it get cold enough.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 09:56 AM

I have about 60 dirt hole out but no traps till about the 25 of oct , lots of sign and with these cold nights its hard not to set !!, good luck guys smile

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 03:22 PM

[Linked Image]
First night catch, small and week fur. Let it go and pulling sets for couple weeks.
Posted By: garart

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 04:25 PM

Nice looking pup 2x, you'll get him again when the time is right. Barnes will be happy to pay you more for a heavier furred coyote.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by garart
Nice looking pup 2x, you'll get him again when the time is right. Barnes will be happy to pay you more for a heavier furred coyote.

X2

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Seldom
Originally Posted by garart

X2

Did I mention that was a disco dirt hole set. Worked awesome. 2 thumbs up Seldom

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 08:34 PM

Did I mention that was a disco dirt hole set. Worked awesome. 2 thumbs up Seldom

Super! I'm at a time of my life that I very much enjoy passing along something that is a value to me and will prove itself by being a value to other trappers.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 08:35 PM

Too early for land fur.

Boco, Give up on that idea! The season is open, they MUST BE PRIME! Most trappers have no idea that early season flatter coyotes will be worth a lot less this year, meaning less than half of last year. For the raw fur market of course. Time would be better spent preparing for a month from today. Even if there is frost or snow on the ground.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/16/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Too early for land fur.

Boco, Give up on that idea! The season is open, they MUST BE PRIME! Most trappers have no idea that early season flatter coyotes will be worth a lot less this year, meaning less than half of last year. For the raw fur market of course. Time would be better spent preparing for a month from today. Even if there is frost or snow on the ground.

The problem I see is that everyone just assumes the only market for trapped goods is the raw fur market. I do sell to the fur market but also to a couple of taxidermist that pay way better on most stuff than raw fur would. Trappers need to think outside the box they are in and they could make a little more money for their efforts. Without both markets I would not be able to afford trapping. I have learned a lot here on Trapped Man and respect BOCOs opinion. Just because season is open doesn't make fur ready, it just makes it legal to take and market however one chooses. Don't take this wrong, I am just responding to what you said in a polite manor. Thank you for listening to my response.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 12:07 AM

If you scroll down a couple posts from the one in the quote you will see that I specified raw fur market.
No problem catching early or even late fur as long as you have someplace to move it for good returns.
Currently the raw fur market is not the place for that fur.
I know the op did not specify where he was selling it,but I just commented in case some trappers may think they will get a return for their effort on the raw fur market from early fur.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 12:32 AM

I appreciate all you posts BOCO. I get a lot of information and inspiration here on Tman. Much from you. I am not a seasoned trapper, just an older guy trying to study and hone my skills at something that is becoming a lost art. You sir are an inspiration. There are many others here that are also. Thanks to them all also.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 03:11 PM

Thanks a bunch Stike 2x Glad to contribute whenever I can.
I also learn a lot here on T-man from a lot of members.
Great group here from all corners of N America.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 03:22 PM

[Linked Image]
First night catch, small and week fur. Let it go and pulling sets for couple weeks.

That would get me kicked of most ranches here!
Posted By: Duckie1

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 10:20 PM

To early for me, they usually seem ok around the first week of November here. It has been pretty warm the past few weeks, horses are just starting to put on winter hair seems like they are running a few weeks behind. I'll wait.

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/17/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
[Linked Image]

That would get me kicked of most ranches here!

State land. Nobody to kick me off.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Northern Lower Michigan opener tomorrow - 10/18/21 12:35 AM

Most guys lose money trapping anyhow. It doesn't matter if it's early fur or late fur.

Might as well enjoy it when they choose.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums