Home

Canvas Tent Repair

Posted By: Pike River

Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 02:20 PM

My father inlaw just gave me his old mil-surp canvas wall tent. The thing is at least 50 years old.

I layed it out in the yard to let it air out and noticed that this is a decent tear from the front corner, going up about 12 inches, close to the vertical seem. it also goes back about 4 inches. The rip is a typical L shape. Everything I've read this morning refers to patching it but I don't think patching is going to be the ticket here.

Any do's and don't I should be considering? I have carpet thread. Will that be strong enough?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 02:49 PM

Patching is definitely the way to go. Take it to an upholstery shop and have it fixed properly, They will have the correct thread size and material to reinforce the tear.. smile

I have a machine, but you are a little too far away for me to be able to help. frown

Charlie
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 03:04 PM

If you want to got the DIY route, get yourself a Speedy Stitcher and some canvas of the right thickness.

The speedy stitcher comes with waxed thread and some different style needle inserts.
I fix things like that with my machine, but the Speedy stitcher is a good tool to have for field repair or the DIY er.

Here is a clip of how to use one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6OatKzjeD0
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 03:13 PM

good canvas and a commercial sewing machine patch that right up , the patch bridges the tear and gets you fresh material to bite into that isn't right at the edge of the tear.

lots of stitching with that patch will tie it all together
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 05:32 PM

If you are broke and can't afford to fix it right, try the DIY.

If you are just cheap, take it to the pro any way and get it done right.
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 05:56 PM

i have used canvas scraps and 3M super 77 adhesive to repair house holes in an old wall tent, worked great. its like contact cement, goes on both surfaces.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 05:57 PM

That heavy military canvas takes stitching real well. Buy a repair kit.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 07:11 PM

Maybe find a Tent and Awning Co.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Canvas Tent Repair - 10/15/21 08:13 PM

I called a sail place who referred me to a smaller sail place that can handle it. The next time I'm in town he'll stitch it up. Said would probably cost about $45.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums