Home

Old TexasDance Hall

Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Old TexasDance Hall - 10/15/21 10:54 PM

Long closed but still standing, barely. I would have thought it would have been restored by now. Cherry Springs Tavern. 16 miles north of Fredericksburg, Texas.
The original tavern was built by Herman Lehmann who was captured by the Apaches as a young boy and was traded to and became the adopted son of Quanah Parker. He was returned to his family after Parker went in to Fort Sill.

In October of 1955 I saw a traveling show of the Louisiana Hayride in this building.. Paid $1.50 for a ticket.

The performers that night were:

Marty Robbins
Porter Wagoner
Johnny Cash
Elvis Presley
Wanda Jackson

[Linked Image]
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/15/21 11:01 PM

Neat history CH. I hope it does get restored before it's to late.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/15/21 11:01 PM

The good ones die hard!!
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:49 AM

Interesting
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:50 AM

Cool
Posted By: Savell

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 02:34 AM

Good story Mr. Cedar.... and nice hall ... it’ll be an ev charging station for Yankees and Californians before long I’m afraid
Posted By: Boco

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 02:50 AM

Yep Savell,go over there and put a match to it before the yankees take it over.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:29 PM

There are still a few of the old time dance halls still in operation like Gruene and Coupland but I am sure we have lost some good ones along the way.

Lukenback doesn't seem like much of a town until a popular band plays and then there are people everywhere
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:47 PM

I would think watching Wanda Jackson live while in her prime would scar a young man for life.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:52 PM

That’s cool! Could you go inside?
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 01:52 PM

Don't remember where it took place, but in the Ken Burns PBS series on Country Music was mention that when he was only 14 years old, Willie Nelson rented one of those dance halls and booked Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys to play it. Needed a piano, which dance hall didn't have, so drove a pickup somewhere to go get one. Age 14?
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

The original tavern was built by Herman Lehmann who was captured by the Apaches as a young boy and was traded to and became the adopted son of Quanah Parker. He was returned to his family after Parker went in to Fort Sill.

I thought I remember reading that Hermann Lehmann became a hermit/recluse after being returned. Difficult time reintegrating back into society after all the good times living with the Indians? Must be mistaking him for someone else.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 09:09 PM

Herman built a teepee beside his family's house when he came back with them and he stayed out in the hills a lot but I don't think he could be called a recluse.
He put on a show at local and surrounding county fairs where he sold tickets for people to watch him kill a wild steer or bull with a lance or bow and arrow from horseback.
He traveled between his place at Loyal Valley and Oklahoma to visit with members of his "Indian family" on a pretty regular basis.
He also liked to show off his skills with the bow and arrow, knife and slingshot when he could draw a crowd.

I have not read any books about Herman but I knew his niece Esther and her stories about him. She was only about 8 or 9 years old when he died but she remembered him and said most of her stories about him came from her Mom & Dad and other family members.
She passed away 5 or 6 years ago and was about 95 or so when she died.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Old TexasDance Hall - 10/16/21 10:47 PM

Sounds like an interesting guy and I will have to read up on him
© 2024 Trapperman Forums