Home

Nebraska otters.

Posted By: Mocular

Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 07:02 AM

So come November first season will be open for otters in Nebraska and closes three days after the 75th otter is tagged. limit 1. So I think I will try my luck at trying to snag an otter off three potential rivers. I really don’t know anything about otter trapping and most of what I’ve read about focuses on cross overs and smaller channels. Most of the river ground we’ve got is wide shallow rivers with a few little backwaters where the channel used to flow. Anyone have some insight on how to fill by bag? I’m wondering just how quick this season is going to be.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 10:33 AM

Any crossovers at bends in these rivers?
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 10:36 AM

See if you can find an otter toilet and set footholds where they are getting out of the water.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 10:39 AM

I've never seen an otter here, and don't know if is recognize sign of an otter if I saw it. But it'd sure be a cool critter to catch.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 10:49 AM

If those backwaters have fish,crawfish,etc. those otters visit there. Any sand bars in these rivers?
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 01:41 PM

Go beaver trap with body grips. If there’s any around you’ll catch your limit lol
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 02:20 PM

I like my coni triggers on the bottom they are pretty agile but still need to kick their feet to swim.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 02:33 PM

I bet that season will only last a couple days.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 05:08 PM

DO NOT gang set crossovers if your limit is one otter! I’ve caught as many as four otter on a single crossover in a single check!
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/16/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
Any crossovers at bends in these rivers?

Not much for bends in the river, there may be a few on the one I have the least amount of access to.
Originally Posted by J Staton
If those backwaters have fish,crawfish,etc. those otters visit there. Any sand bars in these rivers?

There are sand bars but most of them come and go pretty quickly.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Nebraska otters. - 10/17/21 12:20 AM

My best otter set has been beaver castor mound set with backbreaker and a foothold on a drowner, especially after the otter season closes and beaver season is still open the Dnr has gotten quite a few from me then.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums