Home

Shooter? Doesn't matter now...

Posted By: Fireplug

Shooter? Doesn't matter now... - 10/16/21 02:24 PM

Got this guy on my hunting property. Problem is, my 12 year old son gets to hunt this year, and has to be with me at all times. Do I take / not take the boy to this guy's area as it may possibly ruin my son forever? I hunt for meat, but won't hesitate to take a big buck if he pops up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 02:32 PM

That would be quite a first deer!
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 02:33 PM

Shoot em!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 02:40 PM

I don’t know if I wouldn’t.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

He would never top it. But let him go for it. smile
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

I agree, let him shoot it. And be sure to post pics here once he does.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 03:09 PM

That isnt a problem. Put the kid on that deer!
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 03:33 PM

Let him shoot it...
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 03:41 PM

heck yeah
Posted By: hippie

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 03:45 PM

Let him at it would be my approach. He might never top it, but I doubt he'll stop hunting because he shot it.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 04:10 PM

Let him. If he gets it, you'll both have smiles forever
Posted By: garart

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Let him at it would be my approach. He might never top it, but I doubt he'll stop hunting because he shot it.

This above! The largest deer I ever shot (body size & rack) was my first buck (1973) at 15 years old. That never slowed my enthusiasm for deer hunting, in fact it probably stoked it! Let him have a shot at it.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 06:30 PM

I’m not far from you, there’s more big bucks around. He’ll top it someday, let him at it!
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 06:55 PM

Let your kid pick the spots he wants to go and go with him to those spots. Personally the kids I see that get and stay into hunting are allowed to succeed or fail on their own.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 07:12 PM

Make sure he understands that it could well be a "Once in a Lifetime" Deer, and he may never top it, but he has many years of good hunting to come.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 07:47 PM

We learned our lesson last year. I decided to let the boys hunt a big buck we had on camera. The neighbor several miles away got him. We decided after that "we" all hunt a buck if it's really big.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 08:48 PM

Let him wack him a great way to get a young man excited about hunting .
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 08:51 PM

Judging by how his rack has gone down he is smart and you probly won't see him in the daylight. Better let anyone that sees him shoot it.

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
We learned our lesson last year. I decided to let the boys hunt a big buck we had on camera. The neighbor several miles away got him. We decided after that "we" all hunt a buck if it's really big.

You the one had the giant beside the feeder and wondered if you should put up a blind?

Re: Shooter? - 10/16/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

You the one had the giant beside the feeder and wondered if you should put up a blind?

Yes but we already had a blind in there. I thought the deer might b 160 until after shooting mine then got more and better pics and realized it was closer to 180 [Linked Image]

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:00 AM

Well, we had " the talk " and he's on board. If the buck shows up and is in range, he can shoot. I've worked hard to get him in the proper mindset of a clean shot is the goal, no matter what the animal. He'll be ready.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:37 AM

He’s got back straps don’t he?! BOOM!!!!

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fireplug
Well, we had " the talk " and he's on board. If the buck shows up and is in range, he can shoot. I've worked hard to get him in the proper mindset of a clean shot is the goal, no matter what the animal. He'll be ready.

Not saying he won't but everyone thinks they are ready going into it. Some stay calm and some lose some of their composer in the excitement. My youngest is rock solid in the moment and my oldest is like me and can get a little amped up. Personally I hope I always get a little bit of adrenaline shot when the moment is about to happen. That's what I live for but it's took a lot of practice to control it. You can preach and teach all you want and adrenaline can make you forget everything you just thought about 60 seconds ago and there isn't anything you can do about it until you have experienced it sometimes.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 02:00 AM

Let him shoot it. That deer probably won’t be much over 100. Looks like he’s on the downhill slide and needs an arrow or bullet.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 02:28 AM

Yep, let the arrow fly.

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 11:42 AM

The day that my heartbeat doesn't jump a little bit seeing even a small doe is the day I stop hunting.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Judging by how his rack has gone down he is smart and you probly won't see him in the daylight. Better let anyone that sees him shoot it.

This is what I was thinking. I've got all kinds of pics of nice deer that I never even saw while hunting. I wouldn't let the thought of this deer stepping out ruin his chances to take another deer for his first, but if he walks out, absolutely shoot him!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:20 PM

Did you hear what he scored after the neighbor got him?

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matt28

Did you hear what he scored after the neighbor got him?

Neighbor doesn't know much about scores, he said net 165. He had 7"of deduction just on the brow tine which would put him at 172 . Judging from all the pics we had of him his tines on one side were all a bit longer than the other side so I'm guessing him to gross high 170s or low 180s.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 10:51 PM

Quantity over quality for youth.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Shooter? - 10/17/21 11:07 PM

Take him hunting. Who knows if you'll even see that deer. Go have fun and have him shoot what HE wants. If shooting a buck with big antlers "ruins" him I guess hunting isn't going to be his thing. Most of all go out and enjoy the time in the woods and don't put emphasis on big antlers. It should be the whole experience of hunting and time with family
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Shooter? - 10/18/21 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

He very easily could. That is a nice deer, but NY has much better.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Shooter? - 10/18/21 02:24 PM

If it were on our farm it would be on the hit list. No sag in the back yet so most likely about 3 1/2 yr old. I would want those genetics out of equation.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Shooter? - 10/18/21 03:21 PM

Older deer poor genetics I can't think of a reason not to shoot him.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Shooter? - 10/18/21 04:18 PM

Older buck.
He's done.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Shooter? - 10/18/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher
Think of it as meat with antlers attached.

^^^^ This

Re: Shooter? - 11/23/21 11:59 PM

Well, the big one didn't make an appearance on opening day. But, the kid made a nice shot on this heavy-bodied (I know cause I dragged it 200 yards to where I could get the tractor with a bucket to it), 7 point. A little far back but took out both lungs and the diaphram. Very proud dad.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:13 AM

Congratulations to the lad! I'm certain that will be a tasty addition to the family pantry.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:20 AM

Good eating there, is he blind in one eye?
Posted By: jk

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:21 AM

Tell him good job and nice shot......jk
Posted By: eric space

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:33 AM

Nice deer, congrats to him.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 01:13 AM

Good shootin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
That isnt a problem. Put the kid on that deer!

Absolutely take him

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Good eating there, is he blind in one eye?

No, used the flash on the camera.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:17 PM

Tell im congrats. Nice first deer. Do a skull mount with him at the least.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 12:29 PM

Good job
Should eat good

Blind in the left eye or reflection? (I should have read all the replies wink )
Posted By: adam m

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 02:13 PM

Congrats
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Shooter? - 11/24/21 10:38 PM

Likely the get of that big bruiser!

Re: Shooter? - 11/25/21 01:23 AM

Great first deer . Memories for ever
© 2024 Trapperman Forums