Home

Cut a tree down

Posted By: Pawnee

Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 10:29 PM

Full of bats. If I see 1 or 2 bats a year I feel lucky. They were roosting in a hollow branch about 20 feet off the ground. One got smashed when it fell but I was able to move 6 of the little dudes to a new tree. I’m sure some of you guys see them daily, but they are a rare site out here.

Attached picture FEA90F16-EACD-4213-99A4-F5BBA9494BBA.jpeg
Attached picture 25FF05FB-C8A8-4299-A1C1-64694A53CE29.jpeg
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 10:46 PM

Cool. Don't get the Covid from them. Lol!!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 10:50 PM

Here a lot are in houses especially in town, at least you did the right thing and moved them to another tree so they stand a chance to survive.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 11:16 PM

My son and I have wanted to build a bat house for years...too bad I'm lazy, lol. Very beneficial to our ecosystem!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 11:18 PM

Here in the northeast brown bats have declined 95%. White nose syndrome has decimated the species. I have read a few articles that said the trend may be reversing but I'll never live long enough to see them back at their previous levels. My barn use to support bats and I even had bat houses I built and put up. The shutters on my house always had them. Think I saw one bat this year. The amount of insects they use to eat now eat me!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/17/21 11:39 PM

Bats in trees would be great as opposed to bats in an attic and urine stains on the ceilings below.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:13 AM

I cut a log one time and cut a baby bird in half. Never did see mom, and it didn't matter as they were too small to survive at that point. I fed the other one to my snake.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:42 AM

Creepy like things. I dont mind seeing them-at a distance. This summer i was fishin at the dam in town while the sun was setting, the sky was pink. If i couldve captured a photo detailed enough to count them, i wouldnt doubt there were 200+ against that pink sky. Skeeters aint been bad at all here this year, has been dry tho.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 01:26 AM

as Turtledale mentioned, bats in the northeast are in serious trouble, due to white nose syndrome.

horrible wildlife disease with long lasting consequences.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 01:30 AM

Dinner.....bat soup.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 03:31 AM

I watch a couple of them every evening at dusk buzzing around the boat chasing bugs. I like them
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 11:59 AM

Good job Batman!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Bats in trees would be great as opposed to bats in an attic and urine stains on the ceilings below.

Or Histoplasmosis is an infection caused by breathing in spores of a fungus often found in bird and bat droppings. The infection is most commonly spread when these spores are inhaled after taking to the air, such as during demolition or cleanup
As bad as Cancer

Just Google it. Birds are just as beneficial at eating skeeters and don't carry the diseases bats do.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
as Turtledale mentioned, bats in the northeast are in serious trouble, due to white nose syndrome.

horrible wildlife disease with long lasting consequences.

I’ve never heard of white nose syndrome. Going to have to do some research. Thanks
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Good job Batman!

Blessings,
Mark

Your such a joker.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Cut a tree down - 10/18/21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Leftlane

Or Histoplasmosis is an infection caused by breathing in spores of a fungus often found in bird and bat droppings. The infection is most commonly spread when these spores are inhaled after taking to the air, such as during demolition or cleanup
As bad as Cancer

Just Google it. Birds are just as beneficial at eating skeeters and don't carry the diseases bats do.

My father in law is blind because of that. And he is lucky most of the time it affects lungs and death results

About 6 years ago I was driving into work at night with the windows down when I heard a snack and almost simultaneously something hit me in the side of the head. At work I noticed a red spot and scratch on my head but forgot about it. The next morning after work getting back into my truck at the filling station I saw a dead brown bat in the floor beside the he seat. It hit the mirror and stun into the truck hitting my head ace ended up in the floor. Mystery solved.

I had one flying around in the house 3 nights last year. I caught it flipping a towel up and it got tangled up like in a net and I then released it outside each time.

I was thinking about building bar boxes but A. I'm limited on time and B. We have several sink holes with cracks and small caves I don't think they would get used.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums