Home

Trap Thieves

Posted By: Yooper1978

Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 10:33 PM

So, two checks and 5 traps gone. Every trap that is gone was on a drag. I put them on a drag so the animals would be hidden. At every set that was taken were human tracks. This is my first time dealing with trap thieves. What do you do to reduce stolen traps? I want to put the traps where the animals walk!! This is all on public land over a 40 mile line.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 10:48 PM

Report every time it happens. Might do no good for getting your traps back but will get authorities watching maybe. Unfortunately there is no way to stop trap thieves. Trail cameras on trails might help you figure out who is doing it.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 10:51 PM

Bird hunters, bow huntrers or bear hunters... who else is in the woods this time of the year?
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 10:51 PM

Slide them on a 1/8 cable into cover, ditches, etc.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 11:12 PM

As stated earlier,,,report those thefts,,, they may not find the thieves.. but there’s always the potential that your trap may wind up in an illegal situation with your name on it. Report thefts to cover your butt
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/17/21 11:18 PM

Make some obvious sets, show up early, hide yourself, and take care of business when the thief shows up.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 12:23 AM

Had to deal with this myself last season on a farm where I have trapped 45+ years and NEVER lost a trap. My plan is to place a trail cam along the 2 track that leads to where my sets are located. Trouble is I do not know anything about trail cams!!!!!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 09:48 AM

set them up [thieves] put a set back close to where one was stolen ,and put up lots of trail camera's , and let the DNR know what your doing , catch them
Posted By: K52

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 12:00 PM

"
Originally Posted by grumley701
Bird hunters, bow huntrers or bear hunters... who else is in the woods this time of the year?

Trappers. Hate to say it but some of your fellow trappers are thieves, and they know what to look for.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by K52
"
Originally Posted by grumley701

Trappers. Hate to say it but some of your fellow trappers are thieves, and they know what to look for.

Unfortunately, this is many times the case! Camoflage your trail cams well!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:10 PM

I lost a few .A catch circle and blood no catch or trap and once they left the trap but took the coon I guess dukes were not worth stealing to that thief.

I just traped a new area. Now I only trap on my farm and a neighbor and not had a problem yet.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:12 PM

Try to set trail cams for license plates too and don[t blab all over what you are doing or that there is a problem in order to not alert the thief.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:18 PM

I lost 4 grand in traps a

nd stakes from my garage. Painful.
Posted By: story

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:40 PM

If possible take small ladder and place trail cams up high. Very few people look up for them. Caught my neighbor who burned my deer blind down this way.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:47 PM

Man, when I was young my mentors always taught me good woodsmanship and reapect for others. Code was you never messed with someone else's trot lines, bank lines, or their traps.
Some never got the lesson of course.
I keep an old smashed to crap #2 long nails to wall of my first area. A constant reminder of what others can do. For awhile I was having traps stolen. Then I switched to cross staking and earth anchors, whatever I could afford. They started just stealing the catch and if they couldn't steal the trap too they destroyed it. Catch circle, blood, shell casings,, wasn't hard to figure out the animal losses. But a catch circle full of boot prints was easy to see the crime scene.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 01:53 PM

As others stated first move report it to the wardens. Tell them you'll set up cams. The warden's might set up cams for you.
2nd make those sets again add cameras.
If you have noticeable flagging get rid of it.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 05:34 PM

I always stamp my trap frames with identifying numbers and symbols in the event of stolen traps. Makes for easy identification (when you know where to look) and prosecution.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by story
If possible take small ladder and place trail cams up high. Very few people look up for them. Caught my neighbor who burned my deer blind down this way.

This right here you get pictures and that increases the chance to catch the jerks.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Make some obvious sets, show up early, hide yourself, and take care of business when the thief shows up.

X2
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 10:23 PM

Don't make sets they can see.Late 70s early 80s (good fur money and everyone and their brother was in the woods trapping or thieving) I learned to make sets ONLY the critter would find.
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Trap Thieves - 10/18/21 11:29 PM

Most people who are into this are familiar with the Area. Start recording vehicle plates and vehicle descriptions along the roads and speak with neighbours, farmers in the Area and you may be surprise with the results...you likely have seen the vehicle before or may already know the person involved. The only problem with public lands is the number of hunters, trappers and or dog walkers frequenting the Area.

Most trappers know what to look for but not the same can be said for most hunters. Your local CO`s may actually know something about it...they may already be working the area without your knowledge...if this guy is into stealing traps he may also be removing treestands and other things... his picture may already have been recorded on a trail cam... When search warrants are executed, officers are always looking for other things and if you have reported the theft and that your name tag or markings are still on these traps they may be recovered at some point... These guys are always come back full circle..because they like stealing stuff and they don't stop overnight...

Confronting people in the bush may not end well...

Just my opinion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums