Home

OH NO.... !! UP DATE!! (at bottom of comments))

Posted By: Actor

OH NO.... !! UP DATE!! (at bottom of comments)) - 10/19/21 01:52 AM

Well, there I was this afternoon, sitting watching Death Valley Days on the tube... WHEN... BANG...! CRASH...! On my front porch and door.. I was sitting about 6 feet away and first it scared the Be Jesus out of me and I was at the front door in one big leap. I open the inside door to find the aluminum lower panel of screen door smash in. Out the door onto the porch, shouting, "who the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)"? About that time 3 teenage boys jumped out the hedges and took off up the street. 10 years ago I would have went after them, but these old legs and body no longer will cooperate. I yelled at them and watched them run off.

I went in the house and called the police and they arrived about 10 minutes later. I gave them their descriptions and direction of travel, but that is all I could manage. That got me to thinking... in early May of this year some broke the knob and lock off of the same door. Last year someone broke out the window glass panel in the same door. Last week I had a window in the rear of the house broken by someone.

Man I have know idea who these heathens are. I am sure I haven't done anything to them... so they just must be evil little

Okay, I guess I need to get some kind of doorbell/camera gadgets. I tried to look up how to connect them and that type of info and I guess my mental agility is rapidly leaving me because I couldn't comprehend. Of course, not sure if I could afford them, but only need something that gives me a good quality photo and sound. Has anyone had any experience with these gadgets? I need some good advice please.

Here is the door... I think the first sound I heard was one of them jumping onto the porch and the crash was when they kicked the panel in.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Garry-

Posted By: Boco

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 01:57 AM

Thats some serious damage Garry-I'd load up the shotgun.
They aint coming in to kiss you goodnight.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:20 AM

Wow, that's terrible! I think boco offers good advice for this. I do have a ring doorbell and love it. I believe I got it on sale for $169 at best buy. It runs on a rechargeable battery and seems to last 2-3 months on a charge. Only dies after you leave for vacation for me so far . You have to have wifi available and I can watch it on my cellphone whenever I want. It alerts me to anybody that pulls in my drive or approaches the house. I can have a conversation with the person outside of my door while watching them. You can also get cameras or other devices to put on the back door or shed or whatever that is networked with the doorbell. I really like it and money well spent for us. If you don't have decent internet it will likely not work well..
Posted By: adam m

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:23 AM

Dang that stinks. I'm glad you're ok.

Yes plenty of experience since my robbery.
Ring doesn't anyways record. Sometimes it records late. Has a monthly fee. Has both hardwired and wireless versions. Battery life fluctuates, takes 8 hours to charge or you can connect a solar panel charger to it.
Google Nest has both wireless and hardwired. Constantly recorded late. Short battery life, teachers 4 hours to charge. Has a free 3 hour long history or pay per month for unlimited storage.
Blink is wireless forget how long it takes to charge. I didn't like the mount for them you screw the mount in then push in like a Lego.
I haven't tried Argo but looks good.
Eufy is new on the market and haven't tried them. The cheapest of the surveillance systems.

You can always use a cell trail cam if your with Verizon or at&t.

Note:
I had a ring doorbell prior to the robbery. The guy parked in front of the camera and the camera didn't record or alert. Since then I've noticed Ring "goes to sleep" at night. I have watched cars people and animals walk in front at night and the Ring doesn't capture it.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:33 AM

Get a trail cam (easier, I think) put it high, and inconspicuous on video mode!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:42 AM

Slightly off topic , but my girlfriend's condo assn recently replaced all the storm doors on all the condo units. They got some real beefy units , can't remember the brand but would hold up to a bit of attack with a baseball bat. Nice stuff , very tough but light and normal looking and not ugly.

Worth looking into instead of repairing that weak door.
Posted By: warrior

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:43 AM

Reolink has some good reviews. Don't have any cameras here, yet, but I think I would look at those based on what my reading shows.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:47 AM

We have the blink cam mentioned above, it is pointed across driveway at side door and sends to wife's phone, I would give it a good review. Good luck sir, stay locked and loaded.

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 02:53 AM

Noteworthy, my neighbors Google nest did capture the robbery at my house and the picture was good.
With his and the ones I tried they captured people already halfway in the driveway at his house.

One thing you'll have to play with on each of these systems is the sensitivity and the notifications your phone gets. Sometimes it's overwhelming and your phone doesn't stop all day.

Most of the systems I mentioned have monthly fees. Eufy doesn't.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 03:32 AM

Those wireless door bell deals can be spendy and since you already said reading up on them didn't make much sense to you (all this newfangled technology!) I agree with Yukon John's idea on a trail camera. You can get still photos or videos. Most don't have sound but I bet some do maybe? But do you really even need sound? With pics and/or videos you'd at least have something to give to the cops.

My guess is they're trying to rob you. Make a bunch of noise doing it to see if you're home or not. Makes my blood boil.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 03:36 AM

Trail cameras and motion lights would be my suggestions for your situation. You can build boxes for the cameras that look like bird houses or any number of things.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 03:41 AM

Amazon has some 39 dollar cams that are awesome
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 03:50 AM

maybe something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-...REC-_-pipsem-_-100572753-_-202098336-_-N

for the new door

cut a some plexy glass to fit into it from the inside for the winter and make up a screen for it in the summer be able to get a lot of ventilation but have a locked door at the same time
Posted By: Cragar

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
maybe something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-...REC-_-pipsem-_-100572753-_-202098336-_-N

for the new door

cut a some plexy glass to fit into it from the inside for the winter and make up a screen for it in the summer be able to get a lot of ventilation but have a locked door at the same time

Lexan (polycarbonate) is MUCH better than plexy glass. It is semi bullet proof , used for safety glasses and riot shields. Way worth the higher cost for security.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

And there ya go
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by Yukon John

And there ya go

x2,,,garry sounds like they got it in for you for some reason. Did u have words?
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 10:19 AM

We have the Ring our town had a 100$ off coupon to all the residents. works pretty good but battery life isn't super long. I went to Best Buy and bought a hard wired 6 camera with a DVR box. Think i paid around $550 I have all sides of the house covered. It records for a month at a time then rerecords over its self..
Posted By: Mark K

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

for the new door

Lexan (polycarbonate) is MUCH better than plexy glass. It is semi bullet proof , used for safety glasses and riot shields. Way worth the higher cost for security.

Not semi bullet proof. The layer that goes in between the layers is what makes the units semi bullet resistant. Worked at a place that made them. worked with the stuff from time to time.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 10:52 AM

I believe 3M sells a window film to make windows bulletproof. Finding it has been difficult in recent years for some reason....
Posted By: Miley

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 11:18 AM

If you have a hard wired outdoor floodlight ,you can replace it with a Ring floodlight. It has motion sensors and will notify you on your smartphone when it is activated. Shoots a 180 degree beam . Great product!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
We have the Ring our town had a 100$ off coupon to all the residents. works pretty good but battery life isn't super long. I went to Best Buy and bought a hard wired 6 camera with a DVR box. Think i paid around $550 I have all sides of the house covered. It records for a month at a time then rerecords over its self..

What I did as well and well worth the cost and effort to put up, it sounds like they are escalating, take it very seriously, for some reasons they have targeted you maybe for no other reason then you looked at one of them funny sometime or other or for no other reason then they just don’t like how you look, whatever the reason make your preparations now and keep alert, if you don’t have a gun get one and keep it loaded and handy hopefully you won’t need it but nowadays you never know

Don’t depend on the police most are great people but in most such cases can do little till your either in the hospital or dead and then it’s to late for you

If you don’t know how take a look on YouTube and find out how to harden you house against break ins, some things such as replacing the short screws in lock plates and hinges with longer ones are simple and there are others just as simple that if nothing else can give you time to be ready if they decide to come after you, a lot of people don’t like to think about that but take it seriously the warning signs are already there, so take precautions, hopefully it all comes to nothing and blows over but if it don’t you will be ready when it all goes south
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 11:59 AM

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...Security-Window-Film-Roll-36-x-25-25-Mil
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 12:13 PM

Police are basically to write speeding tickets and do paperwork after the fact when a crime is committed.
Posted By: randy r

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 12:19 PM

Keep a shotgun loaded and scare them to death.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 12:25 PM

That's some serious damage. I wouldn't say on here what I'd do. But some good advice above

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 04:32 PM

Several ask if I had words with the perps... No, I can't ever recall ever seeing them alone having words with them.

I did go to PD and get a copy of the report... and it happened earlier than I thought. I called it in at about 4:00 pm, and it had happened probably, 5 mins or so before that. I called 911 and they told me I needed to call the non emergency number.

I have been canvassing the neighborhood to see if anyone has security cameras. I found 2. So, when the appropriate people get home they will have them check their cameras. I almost felt like I was back in uniform again, only a WHOLE lot older.

Garry-

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 08:33 PM

Well, my canvassing paid off and I have received one video of the punks running away from my house when I was yelling at them. Although, none of their faces show clearly, there is enough evidence visible in conjunction with my witnessing them running away to be substantial. I also was able to see them changing direction of travel to be able to scope out the area in the future to be able to possibly spot them.

I was able to find a couple more homes with video cameras, and home they can come up with additional videos. The one I am hoping for is the house 2 doors before they got to my house. They should possibly be together and show features, as it is closer to the street. I was gong to post the video on here, but unable to post an .mp4.

Have found out I have to replace the entire door, because the lower panels can't be replaced like the glass panels. Cost... way to much... about $500.00.

My investigation is still on going.

Garry-
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 08:54 PM

I hope You find Them
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:16 PM

Maybe a false panel with a 330 behind fastened down good or a heavy drag.
Posted By: Boco

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bfflobo
Maybe a false panel with a 330 behind fastened down good or a heavy drag.

Great suggestion.maybe camoed with a bag of parsley or a roll of bills on the trigger.
Then when you catch him,put the death ray on him.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:27 PM

$500 for a screen door? That's crazy
Posted By: BigBob

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:28 PM

Could be they're just checking to see if your home before they break in. Next time play 'possum to see what they're up to.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 09:56 PM

I've cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and put behind a kicked out panel like that and done a decent fix on it.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 11:18 PM

Lots of luck sorting this all out.

one thing ABOUT IT is those Al panel on the bottom of the doors make some good funnels for sub-mergent traps.

so the perps were small enough to climb under the knocked out panel so if they get caught make sure you get to their court dates and demand restitution for your damages.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/19/21 11:28 PM

One thing on trail cams you want the ones that automatically download the pictures to a phone or computer so you get a picture of the people before they steal the camera, a friend had his destroyed but luckily it uploaded the pictures before the baseball bat hit it.
Posted By: jk

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/20/21 01:10 AM

Be safe and good luck with this, it can go south fast......jk

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 01:27 AM

Well... Digging out my LEO experience and a little commons sense, I was able to locate the perps. After viewing the video a number of times, I decided the perps more than likely lived within several blocks of me. So the next thing was, I had already calculated their ages between 12 and 15. I needed to find out where they went to school. My best estimate happened to be the Jr. high school that I attended, many, many, many years ago. I went to the school with it in mind that the school couldn't give me their name and addresses, but they could verify if they recognized them.

I was able to get in and talk to the principal and he was very accommodating. I told him of the incident and that the one person, I felt could be easily identified. I told him that I figured their ages should be within the range of those at his school. I let him view the video... I watched his face and could tell he recognized the one person. He called his secretary in and they both knew immediately the one perp. She said she couldn't identify the other 2, but pretty sure she knew who they were.

She pulled their records and lived about a block away from me... the one we all could recognize lived I think she said 2 houses away and they were as I had figured... brothers. The youngest was 12 and the oldest was 15 and was still in their school because he had failed at least one year.

I thanked them and I gave them my business card with my trapping info on it. The principal told me as a young man he use to trap and the greatest catch of his life was when he caught a read fox. He was from Newcomerstown, Ohio, for you other Ohio boys.

So, after leaving the school I went back to Police Department and filed an additional report. I gave them several still photos from Google Earth showing the complete layout, photos of the perps line of travel and ask the officer get in touch with me.

After reviewing the video and replaying everything in my mind... I am sure it was more than a prank or an act of vandalism. If it was vandalism they would have kick the door and got out of there. They didn't... they hid in the bushes. This make me believe it either and attempted B & E, or Home Invasion, both being a felony, not a misdemeanor. I have told the PD that if the parents will pay complete restitution for the door to be replaced including installation cost... I will not press charges. If they will not willingly pay, then I will press charges. Plain and simple.

I felt pretty good about myself being able to unravel it. The PD said originally there was no way of telling who the perps were. Those videos don't lie. Not bad for a washed up old has been law enforcement officer.

Garry-
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 01:34 AM

Way to go, Garry! You still got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 01:40 AM

Besides the new door get them to mow your lawn and trim the hedge for a year. That will give you time to get to know them and you just might turn them around! They might just be young enough to do that!

In the 60's I had a high school buddy was with the LAPD in the Pico division. He would take delinquent kids to the High Sierras on back packing trips. Hands down they didn't know that side to life.Kids need alternatives!

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Besides the new door get them to mow your lawn and trim the hedge for a year. That will give you time to get to know them and you just might turn them around! They might just be young enough to do that!

In the 60's I had a high school buddy was with the LAPD in the Pico division. He would take delinquent kids to the High Sierras on back packing trips. Hands down they didn't know that side to life.Kids need alternatives!

I thought about that... then I thought about the liability if they would get injured using a piece of my equipment. I would hate to lose my house and they would possibly resentful for having to pay for the door.

Garry-
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 01:42 PM

Glad you found them. Trapping skills don't hurt hunting crooks either.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 02:03 PM

Good work Actor!
My niece and her husband are doing the foster parenting thing with two Guatemalan kids. They went to the farm......played in the creek, went canoeing in the pond, rode in a combine, tractor etc. They never knew that side of life existed. Somehow both parents got deported but kids stayed. Obviously there are all kinds of immigration/deportation laws overlooked on a daily basis.

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 03:45 PM

Good job
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: OH NO.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/21/21 04:47 PM

Good job Actor!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums