Home

Tom Sawyer.

Posted By: Boco

Tom Sawyer. - 10/19/21 09:12 PM

How many here grew up like Tom Sawyer when they were kids?
I sort of grew up like Tom Sawyer.Always outside often in the bush or on the river or at the lake looking for an adventure with various buddys.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/19/21 09:19 PM

I did. Listen for the horn on mom and dads car. Usually had about 30 minutes to make it home before she came looking and you didn’t want that. Fishing, hunting, plinking, and camping. Good days

Went to sleep in a dandy snow cave when I was 10 or so. Woke up to 3-4 pickups driving pastures and creeks honking. That was bad times when she got ahold of me sick
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/19/21 09:30 PM

Only Tom Sawyer I knew of was from Rush...

sh
Lyrics
A modern day warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride
Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
His reserve, a quiet defense
Riding out the day's events
The river
And what you say about his company
Is what you say about society
Catch the mist, catch the myth
Catch the mystery, catch the drift
The world is, the world is
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his skies are wide
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the space he invades
He gets by on you
No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is
Catch the witness, catch the wit
Catch the spirit, catch the spit
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his eyes are wide
Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade
He gets right on to the friction of the day
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Only Tom Sawyer I knew of was from Rush...

sh
Lyrics
A modern day warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride
Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
His reserve, a quiet defense
Riding out the day's events
The river
Catch the mist, catch the myth
Catch the mystery, catch the drift
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his skies are wide
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the space he invades
He gets by on you
No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is
Catch the witness, catch the wit
Catch the spirit, catch the spit
Love and life are deep
Maybe as his eyes are wide
Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade
He gets right on to the friction of the day

That about sums it up!
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 12:40 AM

Didn't Tom Sawyer get cancelled?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 12:41 AM

At 15 I bought an aluminum canoe. I worked on the farm every day but I had Saturday and Sunday off in the Summer. Me and a buddy spent half the summer exploring. At 16, we would load up the canoe in my dad's pickup and head out to go camping for the weekend. No cell phones, no GPS, no way to get in touch with Mom or Dad. We would leave Friday afternoon and get back home Sunday afternoon. We had a general idea where we were going but if there was an emergency it would have taken a lot of people a long time to find us. They let us go. Not many parents today would do that today.

Always had a wrist rocket with us. Ate a few squirrels over the campfire - missed a lot more than we got.

It was a good experience that more kids should have now. Solving your own problems, finding your way when you're lost, fixing what's broke with whatever you have on hand...all good life skills to have.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 12:57 AM

I did too Boco, Beaver Creek and big Grove of trees by the farm. Where my hang out areas
Shooting rabbits and trapping muskrats .

Even use to shoot rats for the grain elevator an got free feed for rabbits
and chicken's.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 01:10 AM

Came up on a livestock farm with great parents and grandparents who encouraged all my endeavors. I was granted a freedom seldom seen or heard of anymore. We were young barbarians. Only things off limits were robins and livestock. I was given carte blanche with guns, ammo, traps, farm truck, horses, and Levi Garrett. I made good grades and didn’t cause too much trouble so they just turned me loose. We made a raft once similar to Huck and Toms except not really. Never mind you could just wade across any creek within 10 miles of the farm. It was terribly built and became a competition to see who could throw who off first. I had two good pals to run with and we made the most of it.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 03:47 PM

Yep grew up along the Mississippi river.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 03:56 PM

Yep, when chores was done i was gone to creeks, rivers as far as i could walk and get back home before dark. When i bought my first bicycle i was in heaven as i reached farther into the woods and rivers and lake Michigan cattail swamps where Duck Creek emptied in. Fished and my catch was hung on steer handle bars peddling back home sometimes ten miles one way. Heck it was nothing it was fun.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 03:57 PM

Grew up between the north and south branch of the Muskoka river.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 04:46 PM

Yup spent a lot of time outside and in the woods as it was safer there than being at home. Tom had it pretty easy in my book.

Bryce
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 05:48 PM

Yep. I even put a book down the back of my pants when I knew I had a spanking coming. It didn't work out for me as well as it did for Tom.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 08:45 PM

Always outside, the woods and creeks were home.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 10:37 PM

When I wasn't working on the farm..hunting,fishing trapping and staying in the woods was my escape.Good times.Also,,my brother in law says I Tom Sawyer him all the time.(and I do) smile He will come over to have a glass of wine with me and I will be fiddling with something or another.I will purposely fiddle longer than need be till he says,,,LET ME DO THAT,,you go pour us some wine!! HAhahaaaaaa smile
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/20/21 10:53 PM

Here you go Boco

Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 03:13 AM

My childhood has so much like Tom Sawyer, that when I was forced to read Huck Finn (which I didn't) and then was forced to do an oral book report in front of the class, I just went on and on about the real adventures that I had been on. The teacher never interrupted me and let me finish.
She did however call my mother in for a parent/teacher conference and started the conversation with, "Your son is not retarded, however..."
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 01:10 PM

My friends and I were always on the go. Lived just off a lake and only a few blocks from the St. Croix river. A few miles away we had the trout stream. We hunted or fished most days and when we weren't we were hiking somewhere. Hopping the train to somewhere all the time. Heck we used the train to get out of town to good pheasant hunting areas. We canoed the St. Croix River from start to finish twice. We also spent a month in the Boundary Waters without one adult when I was 15. Good times for sure and I can honestly say I miss them and would go back in a second.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 01:25 PM

I did
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 07:13 PM

I grew up one block off the Mississippi river. My dad was in the wholesale minnow business. I always had all the minnows I wanted. Hardly a day went by that I wasn't fishing walleyes down by the river from shore with two of my friends. I would bring the minnows. The other two guys would sneak smokes from their dad's pack of cigarettes.

Once, one of the guys snuck a Harvester cigar from his dad. We took turns puffing on that ole stogie. Eventually, we all three ended up with the "Green Apple Two-step"!

Now, every time I drive by there, it makes me sad to see that whole area built up with houses.

Those were some of the best days of my life!
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 07:49 PM

I grew up in the woods and on the water!! I stayed with a poison ivy rash! Lol I hate to say it, but, I never went to my home comings or proms, in high school. I always had something to catch or hunt!!
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/21/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
I grew up in the woods and on the water!! I stayed with a poison ivy rash! Lol I hate to say it, but, I never went to my home comings or proms, in high school. I always had something to catch or hunt!!

As did I Gator Foot! Always had knew I'd have more fun in the woods.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Tom Sawyer. - 10/22/21 12:07 AM

Boco,
The only reason l clicked on this post was because I wanted to hear Tom Sawyer by Rush.
Thank you AntiGov and SNIPERB.

I like the song way better than the book.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums