Home

Never knew gsp’s would be this fun

Posted By: Muddyrat

Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:20 PM

Training this young man has been a treat . He is a pointing and retrieving machine . Turned 4 months two weeks ago . Here’s some pictures of him pointing pigeons the other night [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SJA

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:24 PM

Nice lookin' pup :-) Look into joining DelMarVa Navhda Club. :-)
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:26 PM

Yeah he is a sharp lookin pup. Just think what he can do next fall.

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:29 PM

He could hunt now if he's gun broke. :-)
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:32 PM

Out of all my bird dogs mostly English setters and gap my short hairs were my favorite. They were not my trial dogs or my field champs but they were my best wild bird dogs and the ones I enjoyed the most.

I made a mistake and sold my female gsp to help pay for a well bread setter to breed with my 4x field champ stud. I ended up ahead financially but still regret selling that dog.

Nice looking pup. Enjoy him.

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 02:41 PM

Thanks guys . Last week we did gun intro with pigeons flushing did not phase him one bit with the starter pistol. Did it again the other night standing right over top of him with no issues . I’m going to give him a couple more months thinking around January I might hunt over top of him just don’t want to rush it to soon
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 05:41 PM

Which is a better hunting dog a male or a female?
Posted By: headache73

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 11:03 PM

If we had any quail around here, I'd get another bird dog. I miss it, but there's not enough birds to keep a dog around. That's a beautiful pup you've got

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by trapper4002
Which is a better hunting dog a male or a female?

That's purely a personal decision. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/20/21 11:23 PM

I agree sja I have trained two female retriever and have help with males also . Both of which have turned out to be great dogs.
Posted By: Deerkiller

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 01:07 PM

Timber is a hunting mechanic! He is also mildly retarted.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 01:31 PM

I had both male and female GSP. Both equally as good but the male was a little more hard-headed. I could tell by the females' eyes if she was locked onto one bird or a covey. Her eyes would move around if it was a covey, locked in one spot if it was a single bird. She was a beaut.
Posted By: K52

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by headache73
If we had any quail around here, I'd get another bird dog. I miss it, but there's not enough birds to keep a dog around. That's a beautiful pup you've got

X2

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by headache73

You don't hunt any other bird species? Pheasants, dove, or waterfowl? GSPs are very versatile dogs. We don't have any quail or pheasants around here either anymore so I use mine for waterfowl and dove. :-)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: headache73

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 06:04 PM

No, I don't hunt any other birds. I can't hit any of them, but I love watching a good bird dog work. We don't have pheasants around here, and never got into doves
Posted By: Osky

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/21/21 07:47 PM

My last GSP was a machine. He was taught to swim early and after that he was an ice breaking machine. Whatever scent he was put on he didn’t quit. The only “reluctance” he had was bears. He’d give me the darndest look but if I set him on the track he never quit it nor broke away from me.
Fantastic dogs.
To the OP remember they are big runners, hard to reign them in tight like a good lab when in the field. Let em run, the nose does the job and the dog will learn to hold the bird and point until you get there.

Osky
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Never knew gsp’s would be this fun - 10/22/21 01:48 AM

There is a GSP on my lap right now. Kinda big for a lap dog, but like Deerkiller's dog, mine is also mildly retarded. grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums