Home

Any fellow horders here?

Posted By: foxkidd44

Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 09:58 PM

So, I guess, apparently , that if you bust your rear by putting in a garden, tending it, and then canning your harvest along with the fish you caught and other various meat,,,, you are a hoarder. Did anyone else know this? I always thought that was being prepared. So sick and tired of the if you have it, then you have to give it to me mantra that is running rampant
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 09:59 PM

There is a story behind this … Do tell

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
There is a story behind this … Do tell

Apparently folks are being classified as hoarders now because you have food at home while the shelves in the stores are bare… heard a news bite on the way home from work about it,,,,
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:08 PM

They're calling you a hoarder to feel better about themselves doing nothing to help themselves. Laugh it off. I had a BIL that was always wanting me to make him jerky, summer sausage, trail bologna. He had people working for him so he had money and would pay for the material. Finally I told him to come over and we would make the sausage together. Never heard from him again. He didn't want to put any effort into it. I'm guessing that's the same thing you're dealing with.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:08 PM

Tis the season. It is hoarding season I guess. I hope to fill the freezer with wild game and fish that I harvest. Yep so I guess I am one also. Plus my wife always calls me one but I guess that's another story. grin

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:14 PM

So at what point did I cross the line? When I filled the 18 cf with antelope and cow elk? how about the second 18cf with pork, fish, and tri tips? Or was it when I filled the 7 cf with home made sausage and whole chicken? Then there are the 2 freezers with fridges that have veggies and frozen leftovers, Ya that has to be when it happened LOL

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:20 PM

I'd feel about as bad as you do. Maybe less. laugh

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:21 PM

Ya can't help those that won't help themselves.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:22 PM

So at what point did I cross the line? When I filled the 18 cf with antelope and cow elk? how about the second 18cf with pork, fish, and tri tips? Or was it when I filled the 7 cf with home made sausage and whole chicken? Then there are the 2 freezers with fridges that have veggies and frozen leftovers, Ya that has to be when it happened LOL

Shame on you,, all those vegetables!!
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:26 PM

Sounds like modern version of "The Little Red Hen".

Silver lining is some folks are about to get a lesson in the importance of self reliance.......the hard way. Maybe that way the lesson will sink in?

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:27 PM

Maybe its the 4 packs of Costco TP in the conex box LOL
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:30 PM

Not just food, When I see something I use regularly on sale/marked down etc, I tend to buy a bunch of it. That's why in this time of TP shortages, I have several cases of the stuff in the basement, along with a case or 2 of hand soap, BBQ sauce, Ammo and components, etc.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:37 PM

Anyone wanna trade a roll of TP for a .22 LR cartridge? I'm outta TP so I have to shower every time I go poo. laugh
Posted By: SJA

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 10:50 PM

The Ants & the Grasshopper Story.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Anyone wanna trade a roll of TP for a .22 LR cartridge? I'm outta TP so I have to shower every time I go poo. laugh

ill trade ya 1 square single ply
Posted By: rex123

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:27 PM

If you just by brown underware you don't have to worry about toilet paper.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by SJA

Spot on correct
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by SJA

That is quite different than the meaning of the term "hoarders" . Your quote is preparation for survival. I despise JUNK, uncleanliness and clutter ....but totally agree with organized forward momentum in prepared life . grin
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Originally Posted by SJA

That is quite different than the meaning of the term "hoarders" . Your quote is preparation for survival. I despise JUNK, uncleanliness and clutter ....but totally agree with organized forward momentum in prepared life . grin

AAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!!!!
Posted By: SJA

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Originally Posted by SJA

Yes Sharon, I know the difference between the two. "My quote" pertains to being smart enough to store necessary goods, not unnecessary "stuff" :-)
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/20/21 11:56 PM

2 years ago it was obvious I would not run out of food, ammo, or toilet paper and everyone acted like I was some sort of a crackpot.

Now look at me shine!
whistle
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:01 AM

Well foxkid and others, I guess I've been a hoarder my entire adult life. With the garden and the hunting seasons, the firewood gathering, and the mushrooming, I tend to put up the cornucopia of food while the gettin's good. If that makes me a hoarder, then so be it I guess. Can't imagine operating life in any other way.

Jack
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:03 AM

I am a hoarder at any definition......save all my good stuff, cause I may need it later......annnnnnnnd I stock-up!

Any more I usually just do the "pickup" thing at Walmart, cause I HATE going in the store shopping. Well, I had to go in earlier this week on account of they won't let me buy the OTC asthma Rx I use except in person. It has epinephrine in it and I just may be cooking up meth. Even have to show my Drivers license. Anyway, I get that stuff, and figure to also buy some TP and paper towels because if you do the "pickup" thing you are limited to only a few rolls of each. In person you can buy a case if you want to. I bought a case of TP (24 of the 60 cent 4 packs....where else can you get TP for 15 cents a roll?). I also got a case (30 ct,) of their cheapo 50 cent paper towels. Honestly, you should have seen the looks a couple folks gave me! Being, even on a good day, a big somewhat grumpy looking redneck, they didn't say a thing to me. On another note, my frugal mother, God rest her soul, would have been proud that I got such a good deal.
Posted By: charles

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:08 AM

What good is a freezer if it ain’t full of fish, game, and garden veggies. What good is a pantry without jars of home canned products. I worry if mine is half empty.

Now hoarding ammo is for real. Some people deprive others of access of even small amounts of ammo. I don’t consider reloading to be hoarding though. It is a hobbie.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:11 AM

yep, a hoarder. I have 4 freezers full, 3 lifetimes of ammo and reloading supplies, lots of t-paper, lots of Dobbins Lures and the list goes on. Can't seem to find any Lysol spray though. Sarge
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:12 AM

I hope you have a back up generator.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

I hope you have a back up generator.

Yep propane fired hard lined to a 500 gallon tank for the house. And mom has a tesla solar system if i need to run things over to her place
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 12:35 AM

Putting some food up is no different than saving a little extra money. I dont understand people who do neither. Seems like most folks do both or nothing though.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

ill trade ya 1 square single ply

Nope!...........I know what I got here.
Whomever invented single ply TP.........I'd like to shake his hand.........

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I am a hoarder at any definition......save all my good stuff, cause I may need it later......annnnnnnnd I stock-up!

Any more I usually just do the "pickup" thing at Walmart, cause I HATE going in the store shopping. Well, I had to go in earlier this week on account of they won't let me buy the OTC asthma Rx I use except in person. It has epinephrine in it and I just may be cooking up meth. Even have to show my Drivers license. Anyway, I get that stuff, and figure to also buy some TP and paper towels because if you do the "pickup" thing you are limited to only a few rolls of each. In person you can buy a case if you want to. I bought a case of TP (24 of the 60 cent 4 packs....where else can you get TP for 15 cents a roll?). I also got a case (30 ct,) of their cheapo 50 cent paper towels. Honestly, you should have seen the looks a couple folks gave me! Being, even on a good day, a big somewhat grumpy looking redneck, they didn't say a thing to me. On another note, my frugal mother, God rest her soul, would have been proud that I got such a good deal.

Dang it! It's 68 cents here for that same 4 pack!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:22 AM

I think it's great if the grocery store shelves go bare. Hunger is a great motivator; that might wake people up.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
yep, a hoarder. I have 4 freezers full, 3 lifetimes of ammo and reloading supplies, lots of t-paper, lots of Dobbins Lure and the list goes on. Can't seem to find any Lysol spray though. Sarge

Stocking up on the Dobbins Lure is always smart.... grin
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
I think it's great if the grocery store shelves go bare. Hunger is a great motivator; that might wake people up.

x2. as long as we put a wall around the cities to keep them in.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:48 AM

I bought my boys another 3k .22 cal pellets today and more arrows.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:55 AM

A while back, there 5 or 6 of us sitting around shooting the bull when the topic cam up about how high was getting. They kind of went around the table with their agreement and complaints laced throughout. Finally they looked at me and told them, hey in a few weeks I hopefully will be able to supply any of you that would like enough meat for several meals. Well, they all got really excited and was making out their lists. Their was another guy standing off to the side, and he was chuckling like crazy. On of the guys at the table asked him what was so funny. Once he was able to regain his composure, he said, you didn't ask him what kind of meat it was...

They all set there with a puzzled look on their faces, and one got up enough courage to ask me what kind of meat it was...

I said... well... there will be muskrats, raccoon, possum, squirrel, and if lucky maybe a rabbit and a groundhog. Well a couple of the city boys turned green and everyone else got up and left the table.

Oh well... what can I say? I guess they weren't as hungry as they thought.

Garry-
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by rex123
If you just by brown underware you don't have to worry about toilet paper.

sick
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:57 AM

I try to live by two rules: The Golden Rule and the Boy Scout Rule.

There is a season and a reason for everything. The Good Lord gives us seasons of bounty for a reason. It is our obligation to choose our time wisely. Chancey
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 01:58 AM

I have been referred to as a Prepper in the past, which I took to mean that I was prepared for tough times. Hoarder seems to imply keeping much more that needed to get by.
When I found canning jar lids in a store earlier this summer I bought six boxes of a dozen and left the rest for others, rather than buying all that were available.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 02:00 AM

I plead 'The Fifth'. whistle

On another note, ya can't buy a "fifth" any more, but 1.75 liters are available, I got a couple of those, just in case. grin

Charlie
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 02:27 AM

Well...Given what I have heard may be coming regarding food prices...I just bought a buttload of pork cheap. The store had 10 lb. pork butt roasts for .99 per pound so I bought 4 of them this weekend. Then I was there again today and took a little cruise through the meat department and found a bin of pork sirloin roasts for .75 per pound! They are beautiful! Not many left so I picked out the 7 biggest ones.

Today when I saw the .75/pound roasts I placed myself and my cart in blocking formation while I called my wife. Got the go-ahead and loaded up.

So yes, I am a hoarder, but I will not be a hungry hoarder. My wife is a great cook and she makes them all sorts of ways including pork roast, gravy and potatoes or noodles, pulled barbecue pork, cold pork sandwiches on homemade hard rolls, etc. We get a bunch of meals off each one. My son is good with his smoker and so will get a couple of the sirloins to do.

Life...with a freezer full of pork...is good!

Moosetrot
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 04:59 AM

being prepared is bad

your lack of planning must constitute some others emergency so that you don't get any ideas about living without big brother helping you.

mostly helping you out of your tax dollars

after all you are making people feel bad about their lack of preparation , skill and productivity.

you don't want to make others feel bad do you

and you know home canned food will kill you you couldn't possibly get it right without a factory and inspectors.

Posted By: nightlife

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by waggler

No they will just blame Trump

Originally Posted by Actor
A while back, there 5 or 6 of us sitting around shooting the bull when the topic cam up about how high was getting. They kind of went around the table with their agreement and complaints laced throughout. Finally they looked at me and told them, hey in a few weeks I hopefully will be able to supply any of you that would like enough meat for several meals. Well, they all got really excited and was making out their lists. Their was another guy standing off to the side, and he was chuckling like crazy. On of the guys at the table asked him what was so funny. Once he was able to regain his composure, he said, you didn't ask him what kind of meat it was...

They all set there with a puzzled look on their faces, and one got up enough courage to ask me what kind of meat it was...

I said... well... there will be muskrats, raccoon, possum, squirrel, and if lucky maybe a rabbit and a groundhog. Well a couple of the city boys turned green and everyone else got up and left the table.

Oh well... what can I say? I guess they weren't as hungry as they thought.

Garry-

Give them time, I truly doubt any of them have really been hungry, but then again I know people that would probably starve to death amidst plenty through sheer ignorance of simply knowing how to do more the open a can or box or what food looks like before it hit the store shelf
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 08:51 AM

Then again I went to Venezuela back in the late 80 and life there was good lots of fat happy well off people, but now just because of who they put in power people are fighting over garbage

Yep bet if I had asked any of those down there at that time they would have laughed at my ignorance or po pooed my question and it could happen here, and I think it’s what the hard left want, if you can’t make everyone equally rich make them all equally poor, it’s a lot easy
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 10:59 AM

My wife accuses me of being a hoarder often. This time of year before trapping season my garage looks like a hoarder lives here.
Kidding aside, nothing wrong with protecting your family a little and being prepared.
Sams club is a place a buy a lot of stuff in bulk. Lots of stuff at decent prices.
Basement is full of jars of canned tomatoes, apples you name it. We put up a lot from our garden.. Freezers are full. I always get two propane bottles for the grill, not just one. Need a backup, right?
Several five gallon gas cans in garage are full too. Dont like running out and sometimes it can save a life if we have gas to share with a neighbor so they can get to town if someone is hurt and they ran their vehicle too low on fuel.
Probably just how I was all my life. Got lots of cans of nuts, bolts, etc. Saved me a ton of trips to hardware store.
Might even have a good supply of ammo, who knows.
Jim grin
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 02:29 PM

Funny, 2 years ago when I was canning, my in-laws were asking why I put up so much, saying just go to the store. You would think, coming from Communist Poland they would understand the necessity of putting up excess for lean times. Now, they have seen and been around long enough they keep saying "we are coming to your house when SHTF." Trying not to rely on freezers as much, my wife bought me a pressure canner and we started canning meat and meals. I shoot for 200 quart jars of produce annually. Combine that with what we freeze, or store in the barn we are set pretty good going into winter. That can go a long way with garden vegetables, rice, beans, and some fresh meat. I don't consider it hoarding, I consider it living responsibly and providing for my family.

Watching the news, it would appear there is going to be a meat, turkey shortage going into the winter. We have become quite proficient at raising "meal sized" animals on the homestead. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 rabbits and 200-300 chickens a year, and recently started raising ducks and occasionally turkeys. It's nice knowing we have meals running around the farm that don't need to be frozen or canned.

We try to have a backup plan for everything, not really hoarding in my opinion. I use a lot of lids and jars, so I buy them by the case when I can get them. I have several bee hives so instead of buying sugar 5# at a time, we buy multiple 25# bags. My wife makes all our own bread, rolls, and buns so we buy flour in bulk bags too. I don't wait until I'm out to replenish it either. My potatoes didn't do that well this year, but I have a bumper crop of turnips-a good alternative when young. But I'll be buying potatoes (in bulk if I can find it) and storing for winter.

We save a lot of scraps too. Scrap metal, washers/bolts, wood, etc has all come in handy. I know I can't keep it all, and just as soon as I get rid of something I need it (such is life). Just recently, I use some scrap wood and tin to make a new pop door for my 2nd chicken coop when the old one broke. Kept me from having to run 40 minutes one way into town to get supplies. The red bailing twine is a favorite of mine on the homestead. it can be used to lash things together, tie down tarps, tie up tomatoes/peppers, mend net and fence, hobble critters, etc. I have a hook in the barn with 100's of yards of bailing twine that gets cut from straw and hay bails.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 02:55 PM

Further evidence that country boys CAN survive! Will be the last one's standing when SHTF.

For those who are not aware, you can buy bulk canning lids from some Amish stores. A sleeve of regular lids is about 10 or 12 dozen. Wide mouth about half that many, but what they had for that may have been re-packaged. All ours worked as well as Ball or Kerr branded.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Further evidence that country boys CAN survive! Will be the last one's standing when SHTF.

For those who are not aware, you can buy bulk canning lids from some Amish stores. A sleeve of regular lids is about 10 or 12 dozen. Wide mouth about half that many, but what they had for that may have been re-packaged. All ours worked as well as Ball or Kerr branded.

These lids, from what I've been hearing, are currently the best lids around.

https://www.dutchmansstore.com/product/superb-regular-mouth-canning-lids-bulk-pack-of-60-usa-made
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 05:10 PM

I put the stop to jerky requests by saying bring me a deer and I will be happy to make you jerky.
The wife and I are wondering about another freezer now also.
Filled up with vegetables, fish, bear, turkey etc.
Deer season is just getting going good now also.
Good luck to all.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 05:23 PM

[Linked Image]
It’s getting crazy gang.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 06:03 PM

My guess is whoever it is at FB responsible for this has never been out of sight of the bright lights of the big city......and will be SOL when the time comes. Karma.

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 06:13 PM

Nothing surprises me anymore Foxxkidd

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 06:14 PM

Don't try to catch rainwater off your roof or catch some in a pond! Highly illegal in several states.
I imagine a tax on sunshine isn't too far out of their realm.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 06:17 PM

Facebook? Nope don't do it
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/21/21 08:09 PM

I guess you can call me a horder or any thing else! I know, my family and friends and neighbors will be well fed!! You never know what’s going to happen in the future.
Posted By: cmj

Re: Any fellow horders here? - 10/22/21 01:55 AM

Yeah, Im a hoarder. We can everything. I started my own business and its seasonal. I could go 3 months in the winter with little work. So my wife started canning and it snowballed.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums