Home

Being the "young guy"

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 02:15 PM

O boy don't you love it ? Idk I'd anyone else has ever been there but I'm the youngest guys in a few different groups online and real world and it's always......a test... To say the least. At least for the "fun stuff". Work is different though even then
Posted By: Tim H.

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 02:23 PM

How do you mean? I've always been the youngest of the crew on boats I've worked on, but I'm getting to the point I'm sure somebody younger will take my place soon, which will be a weird feeling. I've never had a rough time of it though.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 02:58 PM

I always associated with folks older than I was. I liked what they had to say and share without all the BS I saw in kids my own age.

There are good people and jerks of all ages.

Pete
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 03:02 PM

I understand completely Wolfdog.
I was youngest by 10 years at my old deer camp... which meant most chores and dragging deer fell to me LOL
Also, everyone wanted to prove that their "life experience" trumped any real, specific qualifications or training you may have on any given subject. The goal often seemed to prove that you could not possibly be better informed on any topic simply due to the fact that you were young.
That's not to say some of it wasn't true... sometimes being young makes one impetuous and prone to thinking you cannot be taught anything and I was guilty of that at times.
The key is to always be respectful and firmly remind them that you expect the same... your respect is earned no different than theirs. Anyone who has become wise as well as old would understand about the two way street there. Some will continue to act like 13 year old boys in a d*ck measuring competition until the day they die and you'll be better off if you learn to recognize them and give them less of your energy. There is much to be learned from older folks...and it's impossible to measure the value of what they can teach you if you listen to the right ones.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 03:02 PM

You”ll be the old wise guy before long. Most your age don’t know anything and don’t want to learn more than the bare minimum to get by.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 03:22 PM

I used to be the "young guy" now most of the time I am the "old guy"
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 03:29 PM

Well if you don't put your age in your profile or post pictures of yourself how do they know how old you are?

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
Also, everyone wanted to prove that their "life experience" trumped any real, specific qualifications or training you may have on any given subject. The goal often seemed to prove that you could not possibly be better informed on any topic simply due to the fact that you were young.

This this this. When it come to fun stuff I like to thinker and experiment it's how my brain is wired. Most if the older guys I'm in these circles with don't like that to say the very least and most of them will make is a mission to knock the idea out of my head. It won't work because ABCD and I'll counter we'll have you ever tried XYZ because it seems to me it could work if you did 567 instead of 123. 9/10 times I'm genuinely just curious ( ask anyone who's met me I ask ALOT of questions) Then almost like clock work the whole "I've been doing this since before you where born " comes up with a quote of their life experience. Alot of times my questions are view as insulting it seems. I'm been told " just do what some tells you and stop trying to rethink the wheel " more times then I can count. But that's the fun for me.And Lord forbid I'm actually right about something. It will be picked over to find every flaw or just tossed out as a fluke. I don't care most of the time but gets old.
Currently me and bullet casting are like this. I've been told the best groups I'd get with my gun and cast would be 4" @50yd best group to date is 1.3"@50 all my groups where under 3.5". I've had people tell me no no that was just a fluke no way that's possible I tried so many times I'm so much more experienced ect. But when I say I'm doing this in a manner they never did then it's tired well you get it.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
I used to be the "young guy" now most of the time I am the "old guy"

Same as me. I'm mostly the old guy. Not so sure if that "wise" old guy pertains, though.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 05:09 PM

Be happy to be the young guy not the old guy. Getting old isnt so great in many ways.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 05:47 PM

Now imagine if you were good looking, the problems that comes with that! Lol!! grin
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 06:05 PM

Ohhh to be young once again. Cherish what you have; questions and all from old geezers. They've been there done that attitude is just a natural progression of aging. They would trade anything in the world to be you.

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Now imagine if you were good looking, the problems that comes with that! Lol!! grin

Lol J.P.!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 06:27 PM

I use to be the young guy. I still don't feel old only 36 but seems all the guys we hire are 21 to 26. So I listen to all there I going to do this and that but one thing that young people all have in common and I was guilty also when I was that age is they don't listen to anything you say. I am sure you have great ideas wolfdog but what I have learned over the years is what works for me might not work for you. I like to listen to all ideas then do what works for me and not tell anyone any different.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 10:06 PM

Youth is wasted on the young. smile
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/21/21 10:15 PM

That's why I prefer to be alone!
Like the others have said. Enjoy being young as long as you can!! The alternative ain't good other than the all the lonely women.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Youth is wasted on the young. smile

Getting old is not for the weak
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 11:11 AM

I can't work with other people, I've read to many coonman threads. Lol
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 11:14 AM

Wolfy, I never see you as the young guy.
Passion for life, what you do, serving our country, ain't nothing about you or what you do, ever, but all the good stuff to be so proud of.

grin
Posted By: run

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Wolfy, I never see you as the young guy.
Passion for life, what you do, serving our country, ain't nothing about you or what you do, ever, but all the good stuff to be so proud of.

grin

I agree.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 11:40 AM

Wolfdog91, some of us are older than you so we've had to put up with a world full of REALLY PRIDEFUL people, men & women, for longer than you.
I enjoy your posts as they are ground level reality reads and you seem to "work with people" or at least want to at times.

Well, here's the deal.
You're explaining what some of us have shook our heads at a longer time than you is all...
and that's just the way of this world.

Some folk are prideful and that's about all they have. They argue that of course, saying they're right on point.
Their pride. It nourishes them. Feeds them. Sustains them though thick and thin. It's their shield against people, especially like you, who are not as prideful. In reality pride is their very best friend.
Pride is boastful so they're better than you.
Pride is jealous so what they have is better than what you have.
Pride is selfish so what's theirs is not yours.

All of us have pride in us.
Some people just get real good at swinging their pride hammer better and more often is all.

Welcome to the rest of this life brother!
Smile and wave sir.
Smile and wave.
Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 12:36 PM

Had the same situation a life time ago Now the tables have turned. I enjoy listening and learning from the younger generation. The most important thing I've learned is to listen. That is of course with the do do meter cranked up.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 12:47 PM

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,is not of the father,but is of the world. wink
Posted By: run

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/22/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,is not of the father,but is of the world. wink

Well stated.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/23/21 02:24 AM

The old guys ain't always right.

The young guys tend to think the older guys are never right.

Contribute what you can; but, give credit to whom it is due.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/23/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Had the same situation a life time ago Now the tables have turned. I enjoy listening and learning from the younger generation. The most important thing I've learned is to listen. That is of course with the do do meter cranked up.

Good plan. A fella once told me that you don't learn a thing by talking.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/23/21 02:48 AM

I used to be the young guy , well sometimes I still am

now I work with people who were in diapers when I started working there and now they have kids in diapers

I worked with the one girls grandmother who retired last year

so I have been seeing her come visit Grandma since her dad was hauling her in the car seat to visit grandma and now she has one in a car seat

even given that I am often still the youngest volunteer at many gun club events , it is kinda sad

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by slydogx

This this this. When it come to fun stuff I like to thinker and experiment it's how my brain is wired. Most if the older guys I'm in these circles with don't like that to say the very least and most of them will make is a mission to knock the idea out of my head. It won't work because ABCD and I'll counter we'll have you ever tried XYZ because it seems to me it could work if you did 567 instead of 123. 9/10 times I'm genuinely just curious ( ask anyone who's met me I ask ALOT of questions) Then almost like clock work the whole "I've been doing this since before you where born " comes up with a quote of their life experience. Alot of times my questions are view as insulting it seems. I'm been told " just do what some tells you and stop trying to rethink the wheel " more times then I can count. But that's the fun for me.And Lord forbid I'm actually right about something. It will be picked over to find every flaw or just tossed out as a fluke. I don't care most of the time but gets old.
Currently me and bullet casting are like this. I've been told the best groups I'd get with my gun and cast would be 4" @50yd best group to date is 1.3"@50 all my groups where under 3.5". I've had people tell me no no that was just a fluke no way that's possible I tried so many times I'm so much more experienced ect. But when I say I'm doing this in a manner they never did then it's tired well you get it.

I gotta say: The young guy studies all the available information, comes to a conclusion that works; and claims he is some kind of genius.... I doubt it very much. Think of where that information base came from! Sorry, wolfie, you need to think of where your info came from.

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 12:29 AM

We all tend to suffer from the illusion of original thought grin

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 12:37 AM

Now when did I ever claim to be a genius?

Your taking what I'm saying out of context

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 01:52 AM

Now when did I ever claim to be a genius? ....
I guess we are getting a bit closer to being on the same page. You do come up with some great innovations. Too bad you never give credit for your inspirations.

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 01:55 AM

My comment was aimed at the gent from MN>>>> Wolfdog91, not you.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Now when did I ever claim to be a genius? ....
I guess we are getting a bit closer to being on the same page. You do come up with some great innovations. Too bad you never give credit for your inspirations.

Since when exactly? Ask me where one of my ideas came from and I'll gladly tell you where I got the idea from. If it's something I've actually came up with on my own however it's a complete different deal
Like with my casting series videos I constantly mentioned other casters and reloaders. I don't mention alot of stuff because I've learned people will toss something out because it's related to a person's name.

Re: Being the "young guy" - 10/24/21 05:48 PM

post away wolfie!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums