Posted By: larrywaugh

Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:07 PM

What say you? I say no.
Posted By: corky

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:10 PM

No
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:12 PM

I pee out of my tree stand and watch John Carson and Rodney Dangerfield reruns on the tablet
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:18 PM

No

WS
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:52 PM

Not unless they see you doing it !!
Posted By: charles

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 07:56 PM

Years ago a fellow bow hunter was sitting in the same tree that his feeder was hung from. He had to pee and when he did the deer assumed they were hearing corn fall to the ground. Deer far right to the tree.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 08:19 PM

Deer in general no. Now mature deer in high pressure areas yeah I think anything out of the ordinary puts pressured deer on high alert.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:07 PM

I have been peeing in scrapes for 30 years and I regularly pee out of the tree stand, deer like to lick it up. Maybe it's the mountain dew I drink.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:18 PM

I believe most deer interact with humans at some part of their territory. Impossible to flee from every whiff. As long as scent isn't where it doesn't belong. A busted stick underfoot, the zip-zip of brush on fabric, and a six foot figure on a ridge will put them to flight though.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:19 PM

Fred Trost and his human urine testing program for Michigan Outdoors made him quite the sensation.
His next show cost him the entire production show ,including video equipment.

Was interesting to watch.
And he encouraged home taping of it.
Posted By: run

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:26 PM

No.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:35 PM

Good for me to see this thread. I hunt out of ladder stands and have used bottles for pee. I am an older guy and when the urge hits, I need to go now! In the colder...I repeat colder weather I have found that while fumbling through my layers of clothes I sometimes wind up with as much pee on me as in the bottle.

I think from now on I am just going to let if fly to the ground, although catheterization my also be a viable option.

Moosetrot grin
Posted By: headache73

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 09:46 PM

I think a lot of things folks think are deer hunting "rules" are kinda ridiculous. I used to be hooked on hunting shows and magazines, had to buy the latest and greatest gear and worry about scent control. After 30 years of observing wildlife and a whole bunch of close encounters, I wear whatever and just pay attention to the wind, kind of..... I pee wherever the mood strikes, so to speak grin that being said, I think some deer are just nervous, and anything out of the ordinary will turn em inside out
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Good for me to see this thread. I hunt out of ladder stands and have used bottles for pee. I am an older guy and when the urge hits, I need to go now! In the colder...I repeat colder weather I have found that while fumbling through my layers of clothes I sometimes wind up with as much pee on me as in the bottle.

I think from now on I am just going to let if fly to the ground, although catheterization my also be a viable option.

Moosetrot grin

Just wear a diaper.
Posted By: corky

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot grin

Keep the thong dry.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 10:17 PM

Only 196.454in bucks an bigger can scare from human urine. laugh
Posted By: Marathon

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 10:18 PM

I think it's just the opposite.
Posted By: Owen

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 10:28 PM

No but grated up Irish Spring soap scattered around your buddies deer stand works wonders.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/22/21 11:31 PM

Do what all predators do hunt the wind and you can smell like a trash can and have success. I’ll pee from my stand and fill my tags every season and not with young dumb deer.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 01:42 AM

Almost 3 decades ago, I was in a hunting club
Two of my friends didn’t like one of the members
They knew where one of his lock on tree stands was
They wud go to it and pee, it was the best stand the guy had, killed most of his deer out of it.
My two friends never figured it out.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 02:01 AM

Nope.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 02:23 AM

I'll urinate in every scrape I come across.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 02:46 AM

I was in a rest area the other day....peed and walked out. Another guy said "MY mother taught me to wash my hands after going to the bathroom!" I told him "Well MY mother taught me not to pizz on myself."
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 04:56 AM

Try peeing on a beaver's caster mound. They will pile a mountain on top of it.
Deer don't have any idea what we smell like on the inside.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 08:07 AM

Urine is an attraction,. No
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 09:26 AM

Can they tell if you’re a predator by smelling it? If so, what are they smelling in it that tells them that?
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I have been peeing in scrapes for 30 years and I regularly pee out of the tree stand, deer like to lick it up. Maybe it's the mountain dew I drink.

Are you a diabetic?
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 10:05 AM

Hobbies I used to stop eating meat, stopped drinking everything but water for the archery season.
I don't do that anymore. But I still pee in a bottle when on stand. I only hunt mature bucks though.

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog
I only hunt mature bucks though.

Kind of hard to find here where there is a hunter every 10 acres.

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 11:14 AM

Savell has some monsters in his back yard.. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I was in a rest area the other day....peed and walked out. Another guy said "MY mother taught me to wash my hands after going to the bathroom!" I told him "Well MY mother taught me not to pizz on myself."

I had a guy say sorta the same thing to me many moons ago and I smiled and said, "kiss your mom. She raised you right." grin
He was a little guy at a I-35 rest stop or I might not have said that in that moment.

I always figure there are many more germies on those handles than on my ******.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 11:19 AM

We have Savell deer here too. lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 11:21 AM

Yup.........most men wash that area extra good in the shower. Lather...rinse...repeat...
Posted By: Posco

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 01:08 PM

I mentioned using synthetic urine mixed with my own. Here it is. I read about doing this twenty years and have used it off and on ever since. I'll be using it in about a week. It works. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
I mentioned using synthetic urine mixed with my own. Here it is. I read about doing this twenty years and have used it off and on ever since. I'll be using it in about a week. It works. [Linked Image]

How many older age class deer have you killed while using that stuff?

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

None, yet. They've been two and a half and three and a half year old eight pointers so far. The guy who turned me on to it lives in Ohio. He and his crew have taken several large bucks using it. Right place, right time.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

None, yet. They've been two and a half and three and a half year old eight pointers so far. The guy who turned me on to it lives in Ohio. He and his crew have taken several large bucks using it. Right place, right time.

I would venture to guess right place, right time had more to do with it than the mixture.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 05:59 PM

nope but my deer smacks me upside the head when I pee on the toilet seat.
grin
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 06:01 PM

I believe deer are constantly smelling urine from different critters. I doubt they even know or care what human pee smells like.

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot

I would venture to guess right place, right time had more to do with it than the mixture.

He sets up so the odor drifts toward the deer as do I. It works. I'm on vacation the first week of November, I'll let you know how it works out.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/23/21 06:21 PM

Best to have'm dead before they can sniff it.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Does human urine scare deer? - 10/24/21 02:00 AM

When I hunt, I don't want deer to linger. I want them to just pass by enuff time to evaluate if I wanna shoot.
I've pizzed outta my stand many times over the years and had deer come to the base of my tree.
I don't like that. Every second they hang around is another second they can peg me.
Depends on my stands but I try to carry a Gatorade bottle with. (It's got a BIG hole) grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums