Home

Coon hunting for the first time

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Coon hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 12:31 AM

Out with my buddy tonight trying to coon hunt grin Trying to make a lil video out of it
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chukar

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 12:48 AM

In for the hunt Wolfdog91!
I've been a lurker following your posts since day 1.
You have come along way sir, and I am proud to be able to follow your hunt.
Go get'em!
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 12:57 AM

Wolf dog what kind of dogs does he have ? If you want to get a coonhound we just had a litter of walker puppies hit the ground last Thursday.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 12:58 AM

Never mind I zoomed in looks like Black and Tans .

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 01:09 AM

And we're off
[Linked Image]
Posted By: old243

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 01:09 AM

I love those , bawl mouthed black and tans. When they tune up on coon, you can sure tell, when they hit the tree, nice music. Followed a few good ones. old243

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 01:49 AM

Off to the next drop
[Linked Image]

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 03:45 AM

First two drops where a bust buuuut the nights still young
[Linked Image]

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 05:30 AM

Last two drops where hits grin fist had up chopping through friggen Vietnam for ten minutes
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But trees where too thick so couldn't get a eyeshines and a shot so load up again go up the road and of course hanging off the tailgate going 55 down dirt roads crazy
Last drop took a little longer but after about 12minthey trees again about 150yd in. Nott too bad this time honestly
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Actually managed to shoot this time aaaaannnnd my buddy missed tired but where ever honestly was really happy to just tree ,fun deal whole way round
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 09:48 AM

Coon hunting in a tee-shirt!?!?!?
I know your in Mississippi, but dang! If I tried that, I would either freeze to death or bleed out from all the thorns/brambles!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 12:10 PM

This sure brings back memories! Thanks for the ride along, Wolfie.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 01:40 PM

Awesome Wolfie
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ditchdiver
Coon hunting in a tee-shirt!?!?!?
I know your in Mississippi, but dang! If I tried that, I would either freeze to death or bleed out from all the thorns/brambles!

Come on down in the summer when the kittens get mobile. Fun running in 80 degree heat.
Posted By: old243

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 02:20 PM

Thanks Wolfie, brings back good memories. Your buddy must work his dogs a lot. A lot of training goes into keeping them that tight to the tree. A bit of fur in their mouth, doesn't hurt either. Hope you go again . old243
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 04:28 PM

Hey wolfie , hope you had fun. Brings back memories of my younger days. Over the years I had 8 good dogs when I was young and a few that were not so good. Had around 4 or 6 at once. Lots of mouths to feed. But I used them almost every night during season. Also ran a couple of coonhounds on coyotes during the weekend in the winter. I would hunt half the night. Heavy rain.... storms..... floods... even snow and cold never stopped me in my younger and more foolish days. And when you were cold, wet, and dead dog tired and just wanted to go home..... that's when the last dog to come in to load would hit a fresh track and be off on a 2 or 3 mile chase. By the time I got home after that I swore I would never go coon hunting with dogs again. Course when darkness came around the next nite I was off with my dogs hunting coon. Now 30 and 40 years later I can still hear my old dogs bawling down in the timber .... at the same time visions in my mind of a full moon shining thru the tree tops... and I still feel the tug on my overalls by my young son saying "lets go get em dad ". My dogs are long gone having suffered the fate that we all will someday. However every once in a while my yard dog will be barking and I'll step out side and hear someone else out hunting in the timber with dogs. Usually I'll jump in my truck and drive closer and just park and get out and listen to their dogs singing a tune of "HERE HE IS....I GOT HIM TREED" . Life outdoors... WOW.... it's worth living for !
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 07:39 PM

My Daddy started me following a red cur dog when I was but 6-8 yrs old.
Only tree dog in the area, friends and family would come every sat evening to run pups with it.
I have had a soft spot for a good tree hound every since.
Bluetick out of Dave Deans Hammer #4 , and Walker from Gold Creek Mondo.
Hunting 6 nights a week and working 40 hrs. in a auto manufacturing plant.
In my younger years.

At my age I'm down to a lil squirrel dog that trees anything that climbs , and bays things that don't.

Careful Wolfie you will have a yard full of dog coops before you know it.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 09:01 PM

I miss that ! Great pictures and story.
Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 09:13 PM

Excellent pictures lad. I folliw a few guys on youtube that do this type of hunting. It looks like exciting stuff
Posted By: Ant Grit

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/24/21 11:07 PM

Brings back great memories, thanks wolfie!
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/25/21 12:31 AM

Come on up to IN and we will take you hunting. Won’t be no mebbe trees and Black and Tans. Will be coons and Walkers.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/25/21 12:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Dog hunting for the first time - 10/25/21 01:01 PM

I have never been. One of the onlt dog hunting in my arra i hwve not done. Maybe someday.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums