Home

ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help

Posted By: dinorocks

ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 03:36 PM

I'm preparing a 2-3 week primitive trapping trip to the ADKs area in early November, specifically in E.J. Dailey's old stomping grounds! I'll be camping out in a recently bought a 10x12' Panther Primitive canvas wall tent and will be using a newly purchased Cylinder stove to keep things toast and warm (I hope). I have a couple old bottles of E.J. Dailey's lure (fox gland and coyote/wolf) I wanted to use on some of my sets (I'm also going to use some of his sets described in his past books/articles). I wanted to ask if anyone had any old stock Dailey lures I could buy to use on my trip (again I have fox and coyote lure but looking for some other lures...I'm targeting all species). Thanks!

I will be keeping a daily log and documenting the trip with photos and videos...my friend told me he would put a video together which I'll share with the group (he recently made a video of one of my recent primitive archery hunts...see link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFEojjH3TE

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks!
Dino
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 04:05 PM

I don't have any lure for you but it sounds like an awesome adventure you're going on. Look forward to seeing your posts about it!
Posted By: hippie

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 05:37 PM

Sounds like a great idea and I wish you success!!!!!

I was on a hunt in Manitoba where we stayed a week in tents. It was a memorable hunt.
Posted By: Steve D

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 06:58 PM

Sounds like a great trip. Wish I was going with ya. Checked my inventory and have no Dailey's frown. Hope you have a great trip. The Adirondacks are a special place.
Great Video.
Good Luck !!!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 07:35 PM

Hope you have a fantastic trip can't wait to see the video.
Posted By: jk

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 07:53 PM

Dont forget to get your martin permit!! They are there. Just make a lot of sets with a lot of bait.......jk
Posted By: IdahoRoger

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 08:30 PM

Burn the new off of that stove before you heat your tent with it!!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 08:44 PM

Have fun,sounds like a good trip.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 09:30 PM

It oughta be a lot of fun. Enjoy. I did a little water trapping trip in 2013 in St. Lawrence County. I hope the weather cooperates for you.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 10:49 PM

Sounds like a great trapping trip, Just hope for a late freeze up. A lot more Coyotes than Fox in those areas than when E. J. trapped. Good luck

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 11:07 PM

Thanks! Trying to whittle down to the bare essentials…not much room in my truck…that’s my biggest challenge. I’ve packed and unpacked my Jeep multiple times already…think I have now!

And yes, I pre-burnt my new stove and pipes…learned that lesson already!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squash

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/25/21 11:22 PM

Good luck. You will need a bunch of firewood to stay warm. I don’t now what part of the Adks’s you’ll be trapping in. . Make sure you have your fisher and Marten permits. Marten trapping will be a bit tougher this year due to a heavy beechnut crop.

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 12:23 AM

I have wood scouted out and have the paperwork I need…I’m going to be in the northeast section and just outside the park. Not sure if that area is out of the Martin range but they are on my bucket list and I’m going to try…along with an otter! How do the beach nuts effect the Martin trapping? (I have never set for Martin).

Thanks
Posted By: cmcf

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 01:09 AM

I would be interested to knowledge about that as well .
Posted By: Squash

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 10:19 AM

I’m by no means a expert at Marten trapping but I have caught them in the ADKs. All I know that during the 2019 season there was a heavy beechnut crop and there were only 20 Marten caught in the state that year. 2018 no beechnuts, there were 200 Marten taken in the Adks. Seasoned ADK Marten Trappers told me when heavy beechnut crop Marten spend time on the beech ridges eating beechnuts and also that’s where all the squirrels, chipmunks and mice are too. And they do not come to the trap bait well.

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 10:45 AM

Thanks for the explanation Squash!
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 11:36 AM

you are going to use alot of water for 2 to 3 weeks, twice what you think you will need. I suggest you think less trapping and more about staying warm and dry. How to dry your clothes, socks and boots: (Hygene and bathroom) also meals that will allow you to function/operate effectively. The old wilderness trappers and their writers spent more time on the survival aspect of the adventure that the trapping. You will burn more calories than you realize, You are looking at a wet fall, your fire wood will be wet. The ground will be damp and wet. Extra water proof tarps will save save you alot of grief.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure. I have done it Arizona/New Mexico and New York.

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 10/26/21 05:50 PM

Henpecked1, all very good points!

I have trapped this area for the last 15 years (except last year), always around Veterans Day. The weather at this time can be all over the place (the crispy days with blue skies make up for the slushy and rainy weather). This trip is multi-purposed...primitive camping, trapping, fly fishing, and a little hunting with my flintlock and selfbow (with stone point)., I will be setting up my camp on a water source and have a very good source of hardwood for my fires that I have pre-scouted. Regarding clothing, I wear all wool, right down to my loincloth and long underwear, and have a couple Hudson Bay wool blankets for bedding...and with my new stove (and its 5-gallon water heater), I should be able to get everything dried out if (when) needed and be able to wash myself with warm water (many times in the past I needed to break the ice on the St. Lawrence River or ponds to bathe). Regarding food, I consider myself a gourmet camp cook and looking forward to whipping up some nice meals (I never leave home without my cast iron!). I plan to use the beaver and muskrat as main ingrediencies in my recipes (I have all my meals pretty much planned out).

It's it hard to believe how the fur trappers of yester-year survived in the wilderness...carrying all their gear (heavy beaver traps, chain, and all)...no hip boots, and no easy outlet for help if needed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 11/27/21 12:27 PM

My friend put a nice video together of my recent trip using some of the photos I sent him. I pasted the link below if you were interested to view it. Cannot wait to go again next year!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rVaacZZ6Uc
Posted By: newfox1

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 11/27/21 12:55 PM

Thanks for sharing Dino, I used to see you and your son on the new York forum years ago, now he's in college, time fly's.

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 11/27/21 01:09 PM

Thanks! Time appears to go by faster the older I get! I was just looking at some photos from some of the early trips my son and I took up north…seems like a lifetime ago! I’m very happy/grateful to have had/made the opportunities to spend time in the woods with my son. We went fishing recently and he drove…I guess there are some perks with him getting older!
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: ADK trapping trip planned...looking for help - 11/28/21 11:25 PM

Cool video.. A little more video of your camp, trap sets and critters would be a nice addition..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums