Home

Coyotes getting out

Posted By: MarkReid77

Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 02:49 PM

I’ve got a question for you seasoned guys about coyotes getting out of traps. How often do you guys have a coyote to get away. In the last month I’ve had 2 get out, one out of a MB 550 close Jaw and one out of an offset. That puts my average of about 2 out of twelve which I feel is unacceptable. I haven’t found any toenails in the traps so I’m not sure if that was the problem. Any thoughts of what I’m doing wrong??
Posted By: TC1

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 02:54 PM

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but are you 100% sure that it was indeed a coyote in the trap? With most any trap brand, a pad caught coyote is not getting away if swiveled and staked properly. Around here, deer cause most of my headaches. Keep on working, things will improve.

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:01 PM

Thanks! I’m not 100 percent certain. I can’t figure out how to post a picture of the trap and maybe somebody could help identify the hair
Posted By: Coyote Chaser

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:18 PM

Possible that they smell something scent wise on your traps and there rolling on your set causing them to fire
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Chaser
Possible that they smell something scent wise on your traps and there rolling on your set causing them to fire

This or perhaps your bait is causing them to roll. Maybe put out a few cameras to find out what's happening.
Posted By: nate

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:25 PM

Pan tension to light, maybe. Good strong springs hopefully.
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:27 PM

even a toe caught coyote should be there when you arrive but dont mess around taking pics or they will be gone most of my snapped traps have either been from deer or from coyotes rolling(doesnt happen often) another issue is to much dirt over trap (frozen or muddy)causing slow firing
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by k9-hunter
even a toe caught coyote should be there when you arrive but dont mess around taking pics or they will be gone most of my snapped traps have either been from deer or from coyotes rolling(doesnt happen often) another issue is to much dirt over trap (frozen or muddy)causing slow firing

I have a trail cam pic of a nice buck stepping on a #3 and setting it off. He jumped very high as you can imagine!

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 04:03 PM

New MB 550’s so I don’t think it’s the traps. I leaning towards deer as both sets have been on a grown up fence line between two hay fields so I can’t see any tracks. Plus it’s gotten dry here in Mississippi. As I look back, both sets were baited with a pretty strong castor lure for curiosity so I’m thinking it’s deer being curious.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 04:12 PM

Have you ruled out deer?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 04:25 PM

. My guess would be deer or rolling. Had a snare set for beaver i found straightened out with the end stop pulled off. Figured it was a badly built snair untill the guy showed me his method of crimping. After that i decided a deer steped in the loop even with a jump stick and pulled it apart.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MarkReid77
I’ve got a question for you seasoned guys about coyotes getting out of traps. How often do you guys have a coyote to get away. In the last month I’ve had 2 get out, one out of a MB 550 close Jaw and one out of an offset. That puts my average of about 2 out of twelve which I feel is unacceptable. I haven’t found any toenails in the traps so I’m not sure if that was the problem. Any thoughts of what I’m doing wrong??

Miss has a big bodied coyote, I wouldn't rule out pullout especially if you're in buck shot soil with wet condition. The first year i trapped miss my partner and I experienced this with our regular 4 coiled and ofset trapps, if you don't have stop shocks, springs on your traps this helps if your using pan covers . They will almost always leave a tooth mark in the pan cover. Don't forget to look for what left tracks at your set. Hope this may help.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 04:55 PM

When I found a trap tripped and pulled out to the end of the chain I usually attributed it to a deer. Dug up and set aside either tripped or not I figured a coon (not many foxes to be had where I was trapping).
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 05:01 PM

Any catch circle?
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MarkReid77
New MB 550’s so I don’t think it’s the traps. I leaning towards deer as both sets have been on a grown up fence line between two hay fields so I can’t see any tracks. Plus it’s gotten dry here in Mississippi. As I look back, both sets were baited with a pretty strong castor lure for curiosity so I’m thinking it’s deer being curious.

well I guess that rules out mudy conditions. Carry-on and think about all the good advise thrown at ya .
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 05:31 PM

I assume its live market? Using a mb550 but if just killing might go up a size use more pan tension help things out
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 08:39 PM

Around here if the chain is pulled out all the way in a straight line it is most likely deer.
Look for a fight circle and chain twisted and tangled may be a coon or ?.
The MB 550 is one heck of a trap and after a large pile of coyotes I have not had a pullout in one.
Roy
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 10:46 PM

Everybody that said deer or deer or even deer unless its cattle
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/26/21 11:42 PM

If you wax your traps, you can look at the jaw face and plainly see what happened. A foot will leave a smudge in the wax, where it pulled out. A deer will leave a like smudge, but on the back jaw, will have two distinct lines where the hoof marked the wax. If a coyote is in a trap for more than, say an hour, there is almost always a well defined mark between the jaws. It's not too hard to tell whats going on at the set, if you know what to look for.

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/27/21 01:47 AM

No real catch circle but it did fight a little while. There was some grass wrapped in the chain

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/27/21 01:49 AM

Actually I’m not selling them, just trying to lower the population
Posted By: krazytrapr

Re: Coyotes getting out - 10/27/21 03:09 PM

i had a racoon pull out of one of my mb550s last year sometimes coons make a mess and it looks like a yote was there but there wasnt one there
© 2024 Trapperman Forums