Posted By: Coon Duke

Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 07:05 PM

That have been driven over?
Posted By: TC1

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 07:35 PM

Buy MB’s! Lol, get out the popcorn boys! whistle
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 07:35 PM

I don't even buy 550's so no help here sorry. But I would think if its totally smashed just replace it and use what you can for parts later.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 07:45 PM

If Coon Duke can't fix it, it can't be fixed.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 08:04 PM

I fix my 550s all the time. The only thing i cant fix is broken metal or bushhogged traps. I prefer the 550 because i can unbolt the trap and get it apart and beat everything back straight and it bolts right backs together. Ive bent many jaws back and only had one crack. Ive fixed my traps hundreds of times by now. Tractors aim for my sets and old men old driving around get em all the time. If the traps i used were welded together i would have dozens by now that would be garbage instead i think ive lost one trap from unfixable stuff.

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 08:12 PM

I fix them too. But it takes me 10 times longer than a conventional trap. I am inexperienced in putting them back together as well.

I am betting 99 percent of trappers do not attempt to fix them.
Posted By: bbrennan

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 08:49 PM

I have pretty good luck fixing them!
Posted By: Mac

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Coon Duke
I fix them too. But it takes me 10 times longer than a conventional trap. I am inexperienced in putting them back together as well.

Todd,
I am slowly fixing every one I have. By selling them and replacing them. I will have more for sell soon. I have watched a lot of your videos.
If you have trouble tinkering them, just imagine the average guy.

I like a trap that can be adjusted with out bending the dog or filing it. Etc. Etc.

Mac
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Coon Duke

I think you underestimate the "cheapskatedness" of your average trapper. laugh I've even see them spend lots of time fixing traps that weren't even good when they were new.
Posted By: Butcher

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 10:49 PM

I,ve fixed all my mine
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Buy MB’s! Lol, get out the popcorn boys! whistle

This, I had a couple ran over just reset and go. One I had to re-level pan.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/26/21 11:49 PM

I have fixed all mine, except the one I hit with a lawn mower! Had six sterlings in a field one time, farmer said he was done in there. Two days later he spread manure, yep, got five out of the six. Fixed every one!

Jayme, are you talking bout me? lol
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 12:00 AM

Having never owned one, I’ve never had to repair one. I’ve repaired dozens, maybe hundreds of run over Northwoods 1.75’s and Bridger # 2’s. I’m guessing the 550s are made of much thicker, sturdier steel and that’s what makes them much more difficult to work on?

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Having never owned one, I’ve never had to repair one. I’ve repaired dozens, maybe hundreds of run over Northwoods 1.75’s and Bridger # 2’s. I’m guessing the 550s are made of much thicker, sturdier steel and that’s what makes them much more difficult to work on?

I find them harder to get back into “spec” than traditional traps. I also don’t enjoy putting them back together.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 12:45 AM

I have only had a few run over but I took them apart and fixed them. I have even re-shaped the cast jaws and have not had one break yet.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 02:33 AM

They seem pretty easy to work on.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 07:09 PM

I have to refurbish a few every year it seems. They do take time to dismantle and reassemble but I do it. I am cheap also. I can usually fix and bend the frame and such but always buy new jaws to have on hand. Did a coyote job last fall I had a young fella hit a few with a rock dog piece of machinery that were in an area that was supposed to be off limits for any work to be done on a pond dam. Oh well., Guess he didn't get that info.
Posted By: jk

Re: Does anyone fix 550s? - 10/27/21 08:19 PM

If Coon Duke can't fix it, it can't be fixed. X 2.......jk
© 2024 Trapperman Forums