Home

Opinions on Traps

Posted By: Scott Griess

Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 01:31 AM

I’d just like to see what you guys think of #3 Blake & Lamb double long spring for cats and coyotes ?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 01:33 AM

If you have loose soils they are a good trap if your good at bedding long springs they are a good strong trap just more work to bury them is all.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 01:54 AM

I don't trap cats but I wouldn't hesitate to target coyotes with a #3 long, one of my favorite traps to set in the snow for blind sets. Like Law Dog said takes some excavating to plant em in the dirt but when they fire they lock up great. Also I just feel like a "real" trapper of old with a couple of 'em over my shoulder walking through the woods in the winter lol.
Posted By: banchee

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 02:03 AM

what jerry said blake and lambs are a stout trap i would not hesitate to use them for cats or coyotes and under ice beaver pole sets front foot catch, make sure they are properly swiveled of course ,you can buy those #3 blake and lambs buy the truck load at conventions banchee

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 02:06 AM

They work.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 02:10 AM

I do like my old 3s.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DWC

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 03:01 AM

Are you guys using the stock pans for coyotes?
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 03:08 AM

Hard to beat !

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Are you guys using the stock pans for coyotes?

I put the adjustable ones on it improves the whole process.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 12:17 PM

They’re my favorite cat trap.

Strong springs and soft malleable jaws make “releasing” lions a lot easier.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Opinions on Traps - 10/28/21 12:30 PM

DWC, yes...stock pans. Most of mine i have upgraded the chains and added swivels, some I haven't yet. Eventually i will on all of them. I use them for coyotes and cats. Nice big pan and target area. Love breaking one open over my knee to set them too...so much easier to set than stout springed coils.
All of the pans and dogs have been adjusted to a short, crisp throw so when the go they fire immediately with no pan creep or travel.

I have both Victor's and Blake and Lambs. My Victor's are from the "good" years they made them. Thicker jaws and stout springs. Some years vic 3s were not as good, not all vic 3 longs were made alike.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Squeeze the eye of the dog to take out some of the slop movement. File the end of the dog square with slight bevel. File the end notch on pan to a short crisp throw and slight undercut so it matches the end of dog. Pans on mine travel less than 1/8" before firing, almost no creep.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums