Home

Do I really want a 350 Legend?

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 12:57 AM

I believe I want one.

The dang ammo is reasonable and more importantly available.

What say you who have or do own one?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:02 AM

"I believe I want one."
Enough said right there!
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:05 AM

If you are wanting it in an AR or other semi auto platform then carry on. If you are getting it in a bolt gun and arent trying to stick to straight wall cartridges then i say there are plenty of other better calibers for that rifle. If straight wall isnt an issue then 458 socom is the superior big bore Ar caliber in my opinion.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
"I believe I want one."
Enough said right there!

Well I'm kind of obsessing seems a good deer and bear round under 150yds
Posted By: BryanOney

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:06 AM

They are way better than the shotguns with slugs we had to use here for years in Ohio. They are way more accurate and have much better range than slugs. Way less recoil than the .444 and 45/70 that are also legal in Ohio. Blood trails have not been the greatest on the 4 deer I have shot with the 350 Legend. Having said that all 4 deer fell within sight because I could place the bullet so well with the pinpoint accuracy of the round. All of my shots were 80 yards or less. Bryan
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:08 AM

I had one and it shot very well. Never got a chance to use it on deer, decided to go a different route but I have zero doubt it would of been a great round, based upon all the other guys using them in Iowa for deer. They say it's really like cheating its so easy.

Slap this on your AR, pick up a couple magazines and a scope and your in business! Easy.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ca...-16-twist-carbine-12-handguard-scg2.html
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:09 AM

Im in the same boat. But it head spaces off the case mouth and shoots .355 bullets not .357 or .358.

I think I would be better off buying a 357 max barrel from mgm for my encore. So naturally i do neither. Looks like a nice effective deer round though.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I believe I want one.

are you in a strait wall only zone ?

if yes buy one

if no maybe still buy one but maybe buy a 308 also or first

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I believe I want one.

are you in a strait wall only zone ?

if yes buy one

if no maybe still buy one but maybe buy a 308 also or first

I am not in a S wall zone. But dang the Ammo is her and reasonable , ballistics seem fine . And I haven t bought a firearm since my .375 H&H in 2017. I've got the itch.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:25 AM

350 Legend is the only ammo I see reliably here.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by BryanOney
They are way better than the shotguns with slugs we had to use here for years in Ohio. They are way more accurate and have much better range than slugs. Way less recoil than the .444 and 45/70 that are also legal in Ohio. Blood trails have not been the greatest on the 4 deer I have shot with the 350 Legend. Having said that all 4 deer fell within sight because I could place the bullet so well with the pinpoint accuracy of the round. All of my shots were 80 yards or less. Bryan

welcome to rifle shot deer they just don't blood trail like shotgun shot deer , we had a discussion about that a couple years ago here

I like me a semi auto , they give me a hard time. what is it WWIII over there? , nope just shot it to the ground now I hate chasing deer got the last one 3 times in about 3-4 inches

I had one go down like a ton of bricks with a 12ga , she never bled a drop and got right back up and ran off , I think I probably missed and it was her reaction to roll .
she was a good ways off for a 12ga foster slug and I had just gotten out of the truck and had one round in the gun only.

a 1/4 or 3/8 hole just doesn't leak as well as a 5/8 or 3/4

but you just can't control where those slugs pattern past 100 so you might think it looks like 100 and it is 120 and slugs are going all around the target but not hitting it

the sabot slugs in the rifled barrel are much better but at 2.50 a round. a rifle cartridge you can reload for and get the pin point accuracy would be nicer

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:35 AM

Do you have an AR 15 Scott? You can swap out the complete upper in just seconds, 2 pins and done and all you need is a 350 magazine.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:37 AM

if you don't have an AR , you need one of those and then a 350 upper

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:37 AM

I shoot deer in the upper scapula, they fold

I lose 2lbs of shoulder meat but hey. Deer drop, blood trails, nah

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:41 AM

if you don't have an AR , you need one of those and then a 350 upper

X2
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:55 AM

Every Walmart in the country has ammo!
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:59 AM

Apparently you're not schooled on a Savage 220 20ga slug gun .

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

I know Right!

But the WSM ammo used to be that way but the U.S.A. hunters never bought in and now you can't find it.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:07 AM

Buy a bunch of ammo first, then figure gun part out later.
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:10 AM

Bought a Savage Axis II in 350 for my son. Shoots like a dream, almost no recoil, and it seems like a great under 150 yd. round.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fireplug
Bought a Savage Axis II in 350 for my son. Shoots like a dream, almost no recoil, and it seems like a great under 150 yd. round.

Thx
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:04 AM

I know Right!

But the WSM ammo used to be that way but the U.S.A. hunters never bought in and now you can't find it.

This is exactly right.
As for Walmart having it in stock. Their inventory is computer controlled, if an item is not sold in a timely manor the computer cuts way back on the reorder. If it is slow to move again it could be dropped. Maximum utilization of
shelf space. Our store wasn’t selling enough mens boots and the computer reduced the entire department by 2/3
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 10:57 AM

Only ammo at our Walmart is 7.62 ammo
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 11:19 AM

I know Right!

I saw WSM ammo at Walmart here in Fla. yesterday.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 12:32 PM

As a self proclaimed gun looney, I'll admit, the caliber does nothing for me. When it came out, I took it as a mini 450 Bushmaster. Which I am only luke warm on. But that's just me. I'm into older and weirder calibers.

If I remember right, it has a slight speed and energy edge on the 30-30, which has put a lot of deer on the ground. So for inside 150-200 yds, if it dunks your donut and you can stock up on a pile of ammo when you buy it, I say go for it.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axe Camp
As a self proclaimed gun looney, I'll admit, the caliber does nothing for me. When it came out, I took it as a mini 450 Bushmaster. Which I am only luke warm on. But that's just me. I'm into older and weirder calibers.

If I remember right, it has a slight speed and energy edge on the 30-30, which has put a lot of deer on the ground. So for inside 150-200 yds, if it dunks your donut and you can stock up on a pile of ammo when you buy it, I say go for it.

Well I'm going on a road trip [funeral] to another State...I'll be looking at a cpl shops.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 12:47 PM

Well I'm going on a road trip [funeral] to another State...I'll be looking at a cpl shops.

Here in MI, especially the southern half of the lower, you have to push through the 450 and 350s to get to anything else on the racks.

Seriously went to a gun show a few weeks ago and I bet half the rifles there were those 2 calibers.

Those 2 cartridges were game changers for the straight wall areas.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:39 PM

welcome to rifle shot deer they just don't blood trail like shotgun shot deer , we had a discussion about that a couple years ago here

I like me a semi auto , they give me a hard time. what is it WWIII over there? , nope just shot it to the ground now I hate chasing deer got the last one 3 times in about 3-4 inches

I had one go down like a ton of bricks with a 12ga , she never bled a drop and got right back up and ran off , I think I probably missed and it was her reaction to roll .
she was a good ways off for a 12ga foster slug and I had just gotten out of the truck and had one round in the gun only.

a 1/4 or 3/8 hole just doesn't leak as well as a 5/8 or 3/4

but you just can't control where those slugs pattern past 100 so you might think it looks like 100 and it is 120 and slugs are going all around the target but not hitting it

the sabot slugs in the rifled barrel are much better but at 2.50 a round. a rifle cartridge you can reload for and get the pin point accuracy would be nicer

Shot deer with both Rifle and shotgun. Never noticed any lack in blood trails between the 2. Shoot em right with the right round and the blood trail is a moot point. But in the event that you need to track the latter still holds true.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:46 PM

Not ours
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:48 PM

I need to look it up and compare it to a 35 Remington. My Ex FIL had one and I used it one season. It was in a lever action of course and I loved it. As far as handling deer, it performed well even on big Kansas whitetails. It didn't drop them in their tracks like the .257s I usually use but they were always down inside of 50 yards and the blood trail looked like you had drilled a 1/4 hole in the bottom of a gallon paint can (you'd have had to been blind to not recover your deer).

Also- no recoil so a good round for a youngin or other beginner. If the caliber you are asking about is similar to what I describe I can think of worse things to spend money on.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:49 PM

I have a savage axis in 350 legend and love it. My hunting here is limited to under 150 yards. Usually under 70 yards. It puts down deer just fine
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 01:53 PM

Scott, I looked it up and here is what I found. The 350 Legend should be ample for black bear and white tail yet easy on the recoil and expenses. I know you have a small army of grandkids- it might be a good rifle for their first hunting season.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/5/17/head-to-head-350-legend-vs-35-remington/
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:22 PM

The way things are going, you will need a 5.56 and a 308 in the future. On the upside at that point ammo will be dimly available in those two calibers. Wich reminds me that I should get a 308 and should not have sold the one I had.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:49 PM

the 350 started out with lighter bullets a few years ago 125s and 147 , it didn't take very long for some companies to figure out 150s and 170s

I hear good things about the 170gr bullets and see they have 180s out now also

there were not many bullets well suited to the 350 legend when it came out but the industry has quickly made several 150-180 gr bullets to fit the 350.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Scott, I looked it up and here is what I found. The 350 Legend should be ample for black bear and white tail yet easy on the recoil and expenses. I know you have a small army of grandkids- it might be a good rifle for their first hunting season.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/5/17/head-to-head-350-legend-vs-35-remington/

I thought of that with 10 years old Emma just taking her first deer with one of my .243s

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:54 PM

Not interested in the AR 15 upper in .350 then?

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 02:57 PM

I have an AR

But I've found out I'm old school bolt anyways...

I'd buy one in a lever ,Quick but they're not made

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:00 PM

I have an AR

The one I linked you is side charging, you could pretend. lol
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:03 PM

I think I'd rather have a 35 Whelen if I were going to hunt bear.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:07 PM

I have an AR

I'd buy one in a lever ,Quick but they're not made

Then get a 30-30 ... it will do anything the 350 can and in a lever action.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:11 PM

I got a 350 for Iowa straight wall use. very accurate Savage, only shot one deer so far, it went about 20 feet, shot right behind the shoulder. Essentially no recoil.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:12 PM

Never buy a tirty tirty

I'd quit hunting first.....

The 30 30 ammo, 308, naught 6 isn't sitting on the shelves this year like the 350 legend is....staring at me

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 03:14 PM

Here's for Scuba grin
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 04:12 PM

Never buy a tirty tirty

I'd quit hunting first.....

The 30 30 ammo, 308, naught 6 isn't sitting on the shelves this year like the 350 legend is....staring at me

Maybe there is a reason for this. Lol
350 legend is a low preformer in about all categories compared to other hunting calibers

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 04:20 PM

Admit it 330 You just cant stand the recoil of a 30-30 grin

But to be honest, I could not have explained the virtues of the 30-30 any better than your video. Facts is facts

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/02/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Admit it 330 You just cant stand the recoil of a 30-30 grin

But to be honest, I could not have explained the virtues of the 30-30 any better than your video. Facts is facts

I think my .375 H&H pushes a mite more than the tirty grin

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/03/21 04:20 PM

Oh it would if ya used anything other than those trail boss loads laugh
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/03/21 04:24 PM

One in a revolver would be nice for that one.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/03/21 04:25 PM

350 legend that is

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/04/21 01:31 AM

I handled the Savage Axis 350 Legend today ...Almost bought it but need to pay off Taxidermy first

Kinda obsessed though. Would be a nice compact Black bear rifle
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/04/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pirogue

Apparently you're not schooled on a Savage 220 20ga slug gun .

And the earlier made H&R Ultra Slug guns, I think 150 yds with mine and hornady sst's wouldnt be an issue. 200 probably wouldnt either but I dont have a reason to try.

Heard those 220s are beasts, my buddies dad has one but I havent seen it in action yet. His previous gun was a 20 gauge ultra slug gun and he could clover leaf slugs at 100 yards with it.

Re: Do I really want a 350 Legend? - 11/04/21 02:25 AM

I was at farm and fleet tonight , they had boxes of the 145gr FMJ for 15 dollars each 20 rounds

had 20-30 boxes I couldn't see if they were 2 or 3 deep in the case

not hunting ammo but a good source of brass for as cheap as your likely to find anything

there are slug guns that can shoot , I am running some of the WInchester 20ga dual bonds and they do well on deer , they are 2.50 to 3 dollars a round which means very little practice happens

if you can get practice under a buck a round you start to be able to practice more

we also shoot a fair number of running deer and sometimes they drop in a hole just as the trigger breaks so a follow up shot is nice , a quick one , my pump slug gone gets that well , but nothing does follow up like shooting off the reset on an AR.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums