Home

Looks like a rough coon market again

Posted By: red mt

Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 10:55 PM

Peska, and few others 2-4$ iowa coon.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:03 PM

This isn't anything new Ken, sad isn't it. I personally, don't think its going to improve for many years if it ever does. Considering the higher costs to produce them, the price is even lower than last year, when people said it can't get worse.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:09 PM

I might trap 1 to have a hat made.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:10 PM

Probably not the year to sell early.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:15 PM

Still paying about same as rats here, and there are a ton of coon around this area. Going to trap them hard to help pay for gas while coyote trapping. I am waiting until Thanksgiving to start.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:47 PM

I just looked at my dp’s today and had a thought about setting a couple for fun, since the last few years the only thing I’ve trapped has been beavers for adc work, most through the ice, I had the thought that it might be fun to catch something dry and on flat ground. crazy

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
This isn't anything new Ken, sad isn't it. I personally, don't think its going to improve for many years if it ever does. Considering the higher costs to produce them, the price is even lower than last year, when people said it can't get worse.

Yes it is a sad state of affairs.
I think I would have the wife throw white jelly beans in the snow bank for entertainment
in stead wow sorry guys.
But here one for you .
In montana you look at the fur market as this it's about the amount of buyers you see or hear from
,,, when they ain't calling she is going to be tough year.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/02/21 11:59 PM

Blame the retail market fur usage every other retail market is recording record years make a guy scratch his head.
Posted By: ack

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:03 AM

Just wait. Oil is gonna go through the roof. Possibly could raise the fur market.
At least that's what I am hoping for since I have a pile of mink to unload.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:08 AM

Lots of them here, and lots of disease going around. They need to be thinned out badly. I find plenty of dead ones along creek banks, obviously died of disease.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by red mt

I think they are going to end up better than that. Not a ton better, but some.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:34 AM

No trapper should supply good fur at that price for someone else to make obscene profit on.
FHA has said the coon and mink markets are the two stagnating..

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:36 AM

Obscene profit? Do tell.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:38 AM

Do you now what finished goods go for?You wanna supply it-have at er.175% and 125% manufacture and retail profits respectively.
The primary producer takes it in the rear.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:38 AM

I just set a coon set for the neighbor who is having problems with them. This the only reason I would do this. If I catch any the fur will be donated to the state trapping org. for they're tanned fur project.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Do you now what finished goods go for?You wanna supply it-have at er.175% and 125% manufacture and retail profits respectively.

True. There is a large gap between producer and retail product.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

True. There is a large gap between producer and retail product.

Yes much more than the profit quoted when you add costs.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 01:15 AM

Im gonna buy a new truck with my coin this year. Prolly need about 20,000 of them.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Im gonna buy a new truck with my coin this year. Prolly need about 20,000 of them.

At least lol
Sound like our coyotes is next in line . We Will See
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:15 AM

On the OSTA Facebook page, one of the Ohio fur buyers is offering up to $2.00 each for carcass coons that weigh a minimum of 14 pounds. Dry, they are offering up to $7.00 each.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456132764517105/posts/2422977134499315/

At $4.04 a gallon for diesel, trapping can put you in the hole very quickly.

Keith
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:18 AM

Ohio has a very poor quality coon
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:20 AM

Ohio has a very poor quality coon
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by red mt

I think they are going to end up better than that. Not a ton better, but some.

Agreed, yes on green skin coon, good ones maybe $4 average I guess, but finish ones a little more , guess $5-$8 average on good collection finish coon but unknown, FHA sell private treaty real cheap , to keep from go belly up is scary the idea ship them

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:53 AM

Agreed, yes on green skin coon, good ones maybe $4 average I guess, but finish ones a little more , guess $5-$8 average on good collection finish coon but unknown, FHA sell private treaty real cheap , to keep from go belly up is scary the idea ship them [/quote]

Where did you hear that nonsense,lol.FHA is expanding their facility.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 10:20 AM

No trapper should supply good fur at that price for someone else to make obscene profit on.

At every step in the journey from field to fashion, value is added to the raw fur.

The fur buyers act of simply putting 30, 40, 50 thousand pelts in one location creates value.

The person who catches that fur is free to add as much value to that pelt as he wishes. Then he can reap those obscene profits. There's no barrier to entry.

It's just like displaying one's torrential ignorance on a message board. Your free to put your ignorance on blast for the whole world to see. If there were obscene profits in ignorance we'd have a billionaire's club.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 10:45 AM

If you can get $2 for carcass coon, that will be a deal. $2 skinned would be more likely.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 11:22 AM

Stop selling to fur market and find a taxidermist. $5 in round minimum, I know that isn't much better but how many get tossed because you don't want to deal with it?
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 11:33 AM

like last year...im trapping for fun......and tanning to make things.....................ive trapped when markets are great..............and when they havnt been so great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats how ive maintained ALOT of my permissions over the past 30 years............I don't cut and run when prices tank.......................there are some individuals who actually are mad at me..........saying im hogging all the trapping ground around.......................and I tell them.......how much permission did you lose because you quit?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 12:29 PM

Population has to be controlled, I'm just doing it another way.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:09 PM

Could you go into better detail on how to make these obscene profits on fur?
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:14 PM

Kind of like what the custom cabinet maker gets for his product compared to what the wood cutter gets for his log.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:30 PM

X2 Wolfer

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B

At every step in the journey from field to fashion, value is added to the raw fur.

The fur buyers act of simply putting 30, 40, 50 thousand pelts in one location creates value.

The person who catches that fur is free to add as much value to that pelt as he wishes. Then he can reap those obscene profits. There's no barrier to entry.

It's just like displaying one's torrential ignorance on a message board. Your free to put your ignorance on blast for the whole world to see. If there were obscene profits in ignorance we'd have a billionaire's club.

No the manufacturing and retail profits above and beyond the value added by costs is oscene.
We had access to a $50,000 feasability study done on the entire fur industry a few years ago and this was highlighted.(still have the hard copy).

So you are the ignoramus.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

Could you go into better detail on how to make these obscene profits on fur?

Yes I could.Dont forget we are taling profit here,after costs,in both manufacture and retail.(Cost being harvesting,tanning,etc)
I make the best on putting ruffs on hoods-everything from shawls,koolatucks and parkas.Many ruffs can be made from a skin the size of a lynx or coyote,and wolf is even better,but I keep those for mitt ruffs,as most are a bit coarse for a womans hood trim.Ruffs are quick and easy to sew
The easiest money besides fur headbands as far as minimal work and maximum profit.

A good example of obscene profit is on the higher end fur.
Recently lynx cat jackets in russia sold for $50,000 usd.Although the initial cost of skins is higher it doesnt cost any more to tan,repair,,block, cut,sew and finish a garment from these skins than it does any other.Profits are YUGE.

Its not an issue since the trapper is being compensated good for his work,however a 4 dollar coon wont do that.But the guy that manufactures and retails the 4 dollar coon article is making very good money.

I spoke with a friend of mine from montreal who is a garment maker.he had some very nice wild mink coats for sale-and they were moving good -simple matching and construction-not labour intensive like a fully let out coat,but very nice.A good price tag,under 3000 dollars.
He told me the skins in that coat were bought for $2 dollars each and said his profits were as good as the higher end stuff because of the extremely low price of the raw skins.
I told him I will never supply him a wild mink for that price,he just laughed and said I cant blame you but there are plenty available.

We are responsible for what we get as trappers for our own raw fur.
Raw fur dealers are only one step up from the producer and have never made the obscene profits that manufacture and retailers make.Much smaller percentage.

Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 07:02 PM

I would think if they are making obscene profits they would at least pay us production prices so we could fool ourselves into thinking we are making money and get them more product LOL. Wheres Dirt at when ya need him?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 07:09 PM

The bright spot is FHA is predicting only 10 million ranched furs, down from over 100 million not long ago. If we can avoid sending fur while they're not needed the market for wild fur might come back.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 07:13 PM

I posted this once before.
I know of a trapper who sold some of his fur locally. He got a decent price for his rats. His other fur not so much.
But, when it came to coon the buyer didn't want them at all. He asked the buyer to low-ball him a price. He had about 30 fleshed, stretched, dried hides. The buyer offered him $1 per coon.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
like last year...im trapping for fun......and tanning to make things.....................ive trapped when markets are great..............and when they havnt been so great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats how ive maintained ALOT of my permissions over the past 30 years............I don't cut and run when prices tank.......................there are some individuals who actually are mad at me..........saying im hogging all the trapping ground around.......................and I tell them.......how much permission did you lose because you quit?

This where I am at with trapping. Keep good relations with the land owners who grant us permission. Whether it is trapping pocket gophers or fur.

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Stop selling to fur market and find a taxidermist. $5 in round minimum, I know that isn't much better but how many get tossed because you don't want to deal with it?

And a taxidermist is going to buy how many?

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I would think if they are making obscene profits they would at least pay us production prices so we could fool ourselves into thinking we are making money and get them more product LOL. Wheres Dirt at when ya need him?

I see you havent met many fur manufacturers.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/03/21 11:22 PM

Yes I could.Dont forget we are taling profit here,after costs,in both manufacture and retail.(Cost being harvesting,tanning,etc)
I make the best on putting ruffs on hoods-everything from shawls,koolatucks and parkas.Many ruffs can be made from a skin the size of a lynx or coyote,and wolf is even better,but I keep those for mitt ruffs,as most are a bit coarse for a womans hood trim.Ruffs are quick and easy to sew
The easiest money besides fur headbands as far as minimal work and maximum profit.

A good example of obscene profit is on the higher end fur.
Recently lynx cat jackets in russia sold for $50,000 usd.Although the initial cost of skins is higher it doesnt cost any more to tan,repair,,block, cut,sew and finish a garment from these skins than it does any other.Profits are YUGE.

Its not an issue since the trapper is being compensated good for his work,however a 4 dollar coon wont do that.But the guy that manufactures and retails the 4 dollar coon article is making very good money.

I spoke with a friend of mine from montreal who is a garment maker.he had some very nice wild mink coats for sale-and they were moving good -simple matching and construction-not labour intensive like a fully let out coat,but very nice.A good price tag,under 3000 dollars.
He told me the skins in that coat were bought for $2 dollars each and said his profits were as good as the higher end stuff because of the extremely low price of the raw skins.
I told him I will never supply him a wild mink for that price,he just laughed and said I cant blame you but there are plenty available.

We are responsible for what we get as trappers for our own raw fur.
Raw fur dealers are only one step up from the producer and have never made the obscene profits that manufacture and retailers make.Much smaller percentage.

[/quote]

Good write up Boco!

Chris
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Looks like a rough coon market again - 11/04/21 02:30 AM

GROENY ROCKS!?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums