Home

Lights for tracking.

Posted By: backroadsarcher

Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:22 AM

Was lucky last night and harvested a doe with my bow. While we were tracking it my son was using his cell phone as a flash light and I was using my maglight. His phone light showed the blood so much better. Do they make a light that shines like that. Much better for someone with aging eye sight.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:34 AM

Probably the sharp white light of the phone flashlight. The maglite with its standard bulb probably gave a yellowish hue. I'm thinking something with an LED bulb would be like the phone light. Might try a portable shoplight, or a light that clips on a hat bill. My Dad has a rechargeable LED spotlight on a side by side for rounding up cows.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:35 AM

That's Awesome. I've used Primos blood tracking light before and found it to be not useful

I'll have to try my phones light.

Thanks
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:38 AM

yes and you may already own the colman lantern that works very well

here is a list of blood tracking lights

https://www.torchspot.com/the-best-blood-tracking-lights/
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:45 AM

If trying to find small drops of blood my buddy uses a small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and sprays the area, even tiny bits of blood bubble to a white foam that is easy to see. Works great if it rained a bit or a heavy dew dropped before you start tracking.

Thank me later. Lol

As for a light I like a bright modern high lumin L.E.D head lamp
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:47 AM

First of all congrats on getting your deer! Like GREENCOUNTYPETE said, a Colman lantern always worked the best for us. When I used to bowhunt years ago, someone always carried one along just for that reason. I think it is a softer light that makes the blood stand out. At times it seemed easier to find the trail by lantern than it was in the daylight.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 12:56 AM

I have heard about the Coleman lantern before. This area would have very hard to use one. Waist high grass and many blow down trees. Tough area to carry one in.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 01:00 AM

I converted my mini mag light over to led. It cost around 10 bucks.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lights for tracking. - 11/03/21 01:06 AM

for just about everything I like these , I admit I have't blood tracked in the dark in a while but these would be my go-to light currently

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...+Headlamps&qid=1635901508&sr=8-2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums