Home

school me on crossbows/accessories

Posted By: white marlin

school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 09:31 AM

thinking about one for next year...

eastern whitetails, primarily. black bear if one shows up. rarely, elk.

I believe in buying reliable QUALITY, first. simple is betterer.

which crossbow, which broadheads, etc. ?

I don't know ANYTHING about them.

Thanks!
Posted By: midlander

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 09:48 AM

Lots of opinions out there on this, Ill just say TenPoint is the cadillac with a great track record for customer service if you ever need it. Excaliber makes good units also, but very wide when trying to maneuver in trees and ground blinds. Im not even going to touch the broadhead question...Lol
Good luck on whatever you decide
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 10:42 AM

If your looking for good quality and simplicity then Excalibur should be your first choice. They are one of the few (maybe only) makes that you can change out your own string on due to the simplicity of the recurved limbs. I've had my Exocet 200 about ten years and it is completely reliable and durable.

The one drawback might be, as midlander mentioned, the limbs are wider than those on compound crossbows.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 11:01 AM

My buddies high dollar 10 point crossbow came apart twice now- stay away.Ravin is a good choice but for some reason our local shop is steering buyers away.The Excalibur that is basically a double shooter looks like something I may need to own.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 11:05 AM

I and my grandsons have taken many deer with our Barnett Raptors, zero problems. We use Grim Reaper or NAP spitfire broad heads. I am sure opinions will vary.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 11:08 AM

My TenPoint is incredibly accurate.. never had a problem ..
Sure puts venison in the freezer ..
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 11:53 AM

I had a cheap Barnett. It shot well. It broke because an error on my part. Wasn't out much money since I bought it used. Have a Stryker. It is junk. Bought a new Wicked Ridge (made by Ten point) this year at the suggestion of the local archery shop. Made in USA, they said few problems and great customers service.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 12:04 PM

I've been liking my TenPoint accudraw. The only issue I have with it is if you need to do a quick follow up shot, its hard to do quickly. Then again, my old horton 200# draw wasnt much easier.

As for broadheads, personally I dont see the need to run mechanicals on a crossbrow. Plus I got tired of fighting with the collars and O-rings.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 12:09 PM

Any set up for deer will work for black bear. Not being brand specific, cut on contact heads are better all around heads than anything else.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 12:11 PM

I will say that the faster speeds of a crossbow does make Brodhead selection a bit more critical. Been tempted to switch to mechanicals but just can't bring myself to it. Slick Trick 100 grain standard 1" is what I shot out of mine
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 12:14 PM

Get the new double barrel crossbow!! Don’t remember who makes it
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 02:45 PM

Excalibur all the way.
Simple and fast enough.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Get the new double barrel crossbow!! Don’t remember who makes it

Excalibur
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 06:20 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023233269?pid=306726

This one here looks ok. smile
Posted By: headache73

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 06:24 PM

I've got a Mission. No cocking aid necessary, fast and accurate but it was expensive. Worth every penny, though
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 07:50 PM

I was an archery tech for a bit and have shot a ton of crossbows and worked on about every brand out there. Ten Point (and Wicked Ridge) are great crossbows and the company has excellent customer service. Ravin also was good to work with. If you are looking for a solid no frills, deer hunting crossbow the Wicked Ridge line would be where I would start. Barnett has some lower dollar bows, but they are harder to dial in, have more super cheap plastic parts, and tend to wear out strings and cables quicker than other crossbows I have worked with.

I think the most expensive crossbow in the Wicked Ridge lineup is the NXT-400 which is a super narrow $1,000 bow all the way down to the bare bones Blackhawk 360 at $400. There are several models that fall between the two.

My next crossbow (upgrading from a 20+ year old Horton) will most likely be a Wicked Ridge M-370 which is a narrow draw crossbow which is easier to shoot from inside a box blind.

Even though there are a few crossbows on the market (Ravins, Missions, and some Ten Points) that will hold a great group at 100 yards, the flight time of the bolt is still forever long and the actual useful range of a crossbow for hunting is realistically 50 yards and less.

I prefer fixed blade broadheads out of a crossbow.
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 10:18 PM

Mission SubLite 1 here. When drawing it will cam over so you are pulling alot less weight. They are expensive, mine was about $1,200.00 but for me is something I can do without a crank (old and weak here plus short so cocking most of them I couldn't do lol). One thing not to pay attention to is the 100 yard range alot are advertising. Look at the drop at 100 yards, is upwards of 100" believe the shop owner said, reason why guys come in thinking it's like a gun so just aim and shoot and you get the animal at any distance. Whatever broadhead you shoot (I prefer fixed blades) make sure to sight in with them. Most broadheads claim they'll fly same spot as a field point (or say flies like a field point so guys assume they' hit same spot). I usually find the ones I've shot are 2" left and 4" high difference. I'm trying the QAD Exodus 100 gr. this year and it is the first one I've tried over the years that flew almost the same spot. Something else is guys figure need more speed. Usually find more breakage with higher speed crossbows at the shop (I'm a 330 fps. guy). American made for me. Getting tons of crossbows in now that are Chinese made and "just as good" most guys say. Cheap is what I tend to find when repairing them (I know there are exceptions but this is my opinion). Alot of broken limbs, cams, etc. with these and parts take forever with them it seems. Agree with the TenPoint (and Wicked Ridge...made by same company) is one of the better ones made and I'd definetly go this route if I hadn't got my Mission. Plant is about 2 hours away and have gone down a few times to have crossbows fixed...this is for the shop and not something normal. Beware of some of the models if going the ebay, etc. route. Have guys bringing in Parker crossbows for repair but problem is they went out of business about 6+ years ago I believe and parts aren't available unless can find them again like ebay, etc. Similarly Horton too went out of business. TenPoint purchased the "name" so they could come out with a Horton line and it's design but they are NOT the original Horton company so warrenty doesn't transfer over.
I believe you'll find any crossbow suitable for whitetail will also be suitable for bear and elk.
Just keep researching and when get one practice. Make sure to use the proper bolt (nocks are different for some companys and if wrong ones are used can blow up the crossbow) and lube the rail often.
Posted By: cmj

Re: school me on crossbows/accessories - 11/04/21 11:56 PM

My son has a wicked ridge 360. He is 9 years old and can hold it up and shoot. Its very light, not as wide as some others. Only thing I dont like is the orange cables! Black magic marker on them cover it up. Its made in the USA too. It came with expandable broadheads, I hate them. Put them in the quiver and they open up. I let my dad shoot it and he went out and bought one too. If you are anywhere near bowhunters superstore in wellsville pa they have a bunch of different bows and a range to shoot them at.
Remember most crossbows only shoot the brand of bolts that came with the bow.
U need to wax the cables and there is a lube for the rail where the string rides.
My friend has an excaliber recurve. When the string gets stretched out it flies off while you shoot. So u have to replace them before that.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums