Home

Coyote in a Cat Cubby?!

Posted By: Trap828

Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 04:52 PM

Had a two day dry spell but pulled up to a coyote in a cat cubby this morning….strange?!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: adam m

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 04:56 PM

I like when that happens because it's not common for me. Happens, but not frequent
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 05:20 PM

Thats clearly a coyote cubby. laugh
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 06:35 PM

I remember you posting this set the other day as one of your experimental sets. Well, here's your results LOL
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 07:18 PM

Nice double !

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Nice double !

Yeah I just wish it would have a big spotted up Tom cat! But I’ll take it.

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I remember you posting this set the other day as one of your experimental sets. Well, here's your results LOL

I caught several coyotes last year using milligans cat-man-do which I had on this set. That may have had something to do with it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 08:46 PM

Mo, no, no, you can't catch a coyote in a big flashy set like that, haven't you been reading here? Maybe some day you'll learn. laugh
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 09:26 PM

He wasn't going anywhere. You must had some good smelling stuff in there. Good job, get them any way you can.

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/05/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
He wasn't going anywhere. You must had some good smelling stuff in there. Good job, get them any way you can.

Man I made this set with the intention of catching a bobcat so I set and exposed trap and blocked it down pretty heavy and came out about two feet and buried one for insurance. I used a bone and feathers as a visual attractant, sheeps wool holding a little MB Hiawatha Valley, and with a little cat-man-do and feline fox smeared on the bone.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 02:37 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 03:48 AM

That’s awesome. Every day is an adventure on the trapline.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 04:11 AM

He wanted to sleep in the tee pee. And earn a feather.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trap828
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

Man I made this set with the intention of catching a bobcat so I set and exposed trap and blocked it down pretty heavy and came out about two feet and buried one for insurance. I used a bone and feathers as a visual attractant, sheeps wool holding a little MB Hiawatha Valley, and with a little cat-man-do and feline fox smeared on the bone.

Yep catching incidentals like a coyote is not a bad thing. Especially when they might bring you more money than a cat. I have caught cats in coyote sets out in the middle of a 80 acre field. You never know what's going to happen in the outdoors. That coyote just was having a bad day for sure.
Posted By: merganser

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 12:56 PM

I once caught a coyote in a 330 in a cubby set baited with a beaver carcass. Just never know.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 01:18 PM

I'm gonna state the obvious here. Just because you use a lure or urine from one species, is no guarentee that you are just gonna catch that animal, as you just found out. The other thing here is, why are you trying to catch a cat this early? Most trappers don't even set cat sets till at least December but after the first of the year they are much better. The big spotted up tom you were after, may have spots, but will be flat as a pancake! Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help you out here! Good luck, but catch em when they are prime!
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by merganser
I once caught a coyote in a 330 in a cubby set baited with a beaver carcass. Just never know.

About a few dozen years ago, a couple of the first coyotes I knew of caught in our part of North Iowa, were caught in a 220 set in the mouth of a culvert set fore coon.

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
I'm gonna state the obvious here. Just because you use a lure or urine from one species, is no guarentee that you are just gonna catch that animal, as you just found out. The other thing here is, why are you trying to catch a cat this early? Most trappers don't even set cat sets till at least December but after the first of the year they are much better. The big spotted up tom you were after, may have spots, but will be flat as a pancake! Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help you out here! Good luck, but catch em when they are prime!

I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this but I’m more of a predator control trapper than a fur taker. Coyotes and bobcats alike in my area don’t bring squat anyways. But I’m sure the fawns this spring and the young turkeys and grouse next summer will thank me! Different strokes for different folks…

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/06/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this but I’m more of a predator control trapper than a fur taker. Coyotes and bobcats alike in my area don’t bring squat anyways. But I’m sure the fawns this spring and the young turkeys and grouse next summer will thank me! Different strokes for different folks…

Understand, but when you said something about a big spotted tom, I thought you were after the fur. I totally get predator control, but thought if you were inexperienced enough to be trapping for fur now, you might need some guidence! Have fun!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/07/21 12:53 AM

Yes and if it is for predator control shouldn't you wish for a milk stained female ?

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/07/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Yes and if it is for predator control shouldn't you wish for a milk stained female ?

I guess from now on I’ll have to be a little more careful on the phrases I use when posting or responding. Sorry to everyone that got offended by my big ole Tom cat remark….i take it back.

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/07/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

I guess from now on I’ll have to be a little more careful on the phrases I use when posting or responding. Sorry to everyone that got offended by my big ole Tom cat remark….i take it back.

Bud, you didn't offend anyone! I can only speak for myself, but with a low number of posts, I wasn't sure if I was talking to a kid or not, and just was trying to help you out is you were setting to catch fur this early! It is all good, so you need not take anything back. I try to help and encourage people that need it, but you can't tell who your talking to with a written message! Happy trappin!

Re: Coyote in a Cat Cubby?! - 11/07/21 01:29 AM

Ok, ok, gotcha!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums