Home

Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling

Posted By: AJE

Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 05:26 AM

I saw some for sale at Fleet Farm the other day. I had never seen them before, nor have I heard of anyone using them. I'm referring to those little calls that turkey hunters often put in their mouth. I gag on those type of calls & have yet to figure out to make them make noise, so I didn't buy them. Maybe some of you use them, or might consider trying 1. I'm not sure if they make 'em for bobcat.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 11:49 AM

You’ll get no help from me. I’m a proud gagger too. Hate the dang things
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 01:57 PM

I've used them before. For me, not enough volume in using them
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 02:21 PM

I have used diaphragms for predator hunting here in Wisconsin for decades. They are really my go-to call. In the types of terrain I hunt, I really do not need the volume that might be required in the plains, etc. In fact I avoid it.

I use turkey diaphragms and have not yet tried the ones intended for predators. When using a diaphragm there is no hand movement and I can call right through my facemask. With a little practice you can get a huge variety of prey sounds while using them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 02:30 PM

You blow hard enough on about any mouth call it becomes a predator call really, try trimming one down or try a youth size one for a good fit. You get accustomed to them after using them for a while. You learn to make your sounds then hold it in your teeth or lips until you need to call again.

It’s not just the blowing but the tongue and jaw movement go along with that.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 05:51 PM

Pogo used to get amazing sounds using them in competition at the National trappers.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 05:59 PM

Yrs ago I just used turkey calls but have since bought some that are for predator hunting. As mentioned take scissors to them if they are to wide. Hands free and very natural sounding. Takes some getting used to. They work
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/07/21 08:21 PM

I've called in a few while turkey hunting squealing with the call I had in my mouth at the time.
Posted By: johral

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/11/21 03:18 AM

Check out MFK on YouTube. Tory can make some amazing call sequences with his diaphragms.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Reed diaphragm mouth calls for coyote calling - 11/11/21 03:38 AM

I used em for years turkey hunting. Ain't got enough air anymore to use them. I gave all my hand calls for predators to my youngest boy, I'm all electronic now
© 2024 Trapperman Forums