Home

UFC in Church

Posted By: waggler

UFC in Church - 11/07/21 09:27 PM

Just thought I would throw this question out there to church goers of any denomination.

A favorite youth group activity in our church is getting together to watch a particularly important UFC fight.
Guys and girls both seem to enjoy it.

I don't have a problem with it. Just curious how this would go-over in other churches.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 09:37 PM

I don't think it would fly in our church. I run our teen youth program. I probably won't get the teens together watch two men intentionally injure each other. Maybe I'm soft.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 09:54 PM

Hormone raging teens dont need to see who carries the "round 2" sign
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 10:03 PM

Teens I don’t see the issue. Younger, I guess maybe some parents may. My kids have watched since 6 or 7.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 10:18 PM

That's pg compared to a modern music video. Commercials on tv anymore are horrible
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 11:17 PM

Lots of f bombs from the winners on pay per view
Posted By: warrior

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 11:20 PM

Nope
Posted By: Vinke

Re: UFC in Church - 11/07/21 11:24 PM

There is always one or two fights in our church about politics or preaching
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 01:17 AM

Boxing is mentioned in the bible.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 01:29 AM

How is it any different then watching boxing, wrestling or football?

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 01:38 AM

Now that I think about it, and remember back a few years when I posted a picture taken at our church picnic,
I guess it might explain things a little.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chancey

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Just thought I would throw this question out there to church goers of any denomination.

A favorite youth group activity in our church is getting together to watch a particularly important UFC fight.
Guys and girls both seem to enjoy it.

I don't have a problem with it. Just curious how this would go-over in other churches.

I watch UFC, and enjoy it. With that said, itt does not belong in Church.

I am the worst kind of sinner though.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 02:14 AM

This world and our churches are screwed.

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 02:33 AM

Just to clarify; they aren't watching this in the church building itself.
Not that a particular building is more holy than another building.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 02:37 AM

There is more culture in the church than church in our post-Christian culture.

Rather than wade into the questions of God, life, Scripture, and important things young people repeatedly say they want to hear about, many youth ministers are focused on the numbers, so they creatively dream up any number of 21st century events to entice young persons to attend.
This would be another.
It rarely bears spiritual fruit.

Can't imagine the early followers (and they weren't perfect mind you) suggesting, "Hey, y'all wanna head on over to the Coliseum and get together and hang out this weekend?"

Blessings,
Mark

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 02:54 AM

^^^^^^^^

Interesting subject; culture in the church/church in the culture.

It has intrigued me that the church I have been going to the past three years or so doesn't even think about numbers, or programs designed to attract more numbers. I think programs can be a big hinderance, the attendees of a church that focuses numbers often seem to rely on a particular person or program to do the job. I find it fascinating that the youth run the youth program at my church, most of them take a very active role in putting the program together. They even conduct the worship service on the last Sunday of every month.
BTW, over 50% of the attendees at my church are under the age of 24 or so.

Most of us tend to view things of faith and the practice of our faith from our cultural view. Of course there are some things that are just plain wrong and sinful in any culture; I'm not trying to justify sin.

I've learned that some things that I was raised to raise my eyebrows to are merely things that are foreign to my cultural upbringing.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 03:00 AM

Half naked girls
The audience cussing
Drinking? I don’t know if they let the people there drink
It’s not the place for a church group
I know most will disagree, because these things go on in most homes.
Just my opinion, and it was free.

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 03:05 AM

Maybe you guys have seen UFC events that I haven't. But the event I watched last night I saw no "half naked girls" at all. I don't even remember if there were any girls except the one fight that featured a woman from China versus a woman form the USA (she won). Didn't see any drinking.
There were about five fights. Just pointing out my observations.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 07:29 AM

As long as the teens know the way to Heaven, what's the problem? There are worst temptations other places as well.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 11:32 AM

Just remember your church is just like mine- it is a man made institution and run by men meaning they might get it wrong as often as they get something right.

That being said the Church I go to would probably never do this.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 11:37 AM

I think it's horrible. They should be playing video games where they blow people's brains out at close range!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: UFC in Church - 11/08/21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^^^

Interesting subject; culture in the church/church in the culture.

It has intrigued me that the church I have been going to the past three years or so doesn't even think about numbers, or programs designed to attract more numbers. I think programs can be a big hinderance, the attendees of a church that focuses numbers often seem to rely on a particular person or program to do the job. I find it fascinating that the youth run the youth program at my church, most of them take a very active role in putting the program together. They even conduct the worship service on the last Sunday of every month.
BTW, over 50% of the attendees at my church are under the age of 24 or so.

Most of us tend to view things of faith and the practice of our faith from our cultural view. Of course there are some things that are just plain wrong and sinful in any culture; I'm not trying to justify sin.

I've learned that some things that I was raised to raise my eyebrows to are merely things that are foreign to my cultural upbringing.

Good points waggler, and yes, there are many young folks, the next generation of believers that are worthy. I school with many who are quite young and I smile often as I listen to them speak of what is and isn't important to them. Many are turned off as we say, by cultural immorality going on everywhere. I wonder, "Is this the remnant?" We need as many as God will gather IMO.
That said, the integration of different cultures of the faith is called ethnodoxology and it is very cool, whereby different cultures are respected for how each worships God and are encouraged to worship alongside each other, just like they will be some day in the heavenly multitudes.

I can't see how this activity would be anything else than a cultural norm injected into the Bride of Christ, and as an elder I would ask wonder why? What's the fruit to be expected?

Blessings,
Mark

© 2024 Trapperman Forums