Home

What draws you to..

Posted By: BuckMink

What draws you to.. - 11/07/21 11:44 PM

trapping over hunting or do you pursue both equally?
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 12:14 AM

I, like many here, love both. Hunting is a sport you can do whenever you have time and an open season. When you set traps it is a committment to tend and check them regularly. But if you love trapping it is not a job, it is a true pleasure. I think I lean a little toward trapping.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 12:32 AM

I think mainly it's you're always doing something. Plus there's generally no bag limits in trapping.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 12:46 AM

Trapping is just another method of hunting.I dont consider there to be a distinction between trapping/hunting.The goal is to bag the animal.In most cases trapping is just a more efficient way of hunting.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 01:38 AM

I think, I like trapping a little more than hunting. Because, you are more in tune with what’s going on, with a multitude of animals, other than going after one speeches.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 01:48 AM

Land availability.......
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Land availability.......

Yessir you nailed it! Round here if you wanna hunt you bettuh have money. One can trap though, if you sweet talk a landowner into letting you trap after the first of the year!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 03:24 AM

Since I started trapping more, I do hunt less. I enjoy the time in the field, water and marshes trapping and the exercise is really beneficial for me. I do miss the grouse hunting I used to do, but still do some. Also less rabbit hunting. Deer hunting about the same, but most days of the hunting season during the mid days I am putting up fur. My two gardens also take time away from the late September hunting as well.

Bryce
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 03:45 AM

It’s just a passion
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 04:12 AM

I prefer hunting becuse the only thing I trap I eat is beaver. Also i have freezers full of fur im probably going to throw out. It takes me to long to try to get it put up and even then i am not sure its correct. I dont think i will wast the time skinning anything and just toss it in the dead pit. So hunting is more usefull to me. I love trapping but would prefer to have someone that i could pay to put up my fur.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 06:42 AM

Trapping makes up 90% and hunting coyotes 10%. In the past it was 50% trapping and 50% hunting a number of critters.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 10:04 AM

I love being in the woods , I trap way more than I hunt , I still like to hunt , but I would choose trapping if I could only do one
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 11:00 AM

I was either in the duck blind everyday of the season after school and years later moved to bow hunting, when I took up actively trapping, I can say it consumed me to the point this year a group of friends ragged me hard enough to pick up my bow again. And I did, my 1st sit in the tree reminded me what I had been missing, but on the other hand our trapping doesn't start until November 15th, so only time will tell.😁
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 12:36 PM

I still like trapping. Been at it more than 40 years. I like the previous comment about land access.
Everybody hunts or fishes around here. Trapping got me more land access than I ever have asking to hunt or maybe fish a pond.
I also had several of my landowners tell me how much fun they have tagging along to run traps. One told me of all the folks that have stopped to ask if they could hunt or fish his land, I was the ONLY one that ever asked him if he wanted to go along.
I have always enjoyed the time spent checking traps with my boys. Often there was a friend of theirs, or two, in the truck with us also. Alway take a kid when you can.
I enjoy the walking, the quiet time alone, and being close to the sign reading. Going late at night or early in AM to check around work and school schedules is a grind. Once the traps are out it is a daily commitment...something hunting or fishing didn't have. I could always choose not to go a day or two when hunting or fishing, but traps have to be checked daily here. Every day. Rain or shine, wind, snow, cold, whatever. Every day.
Ive seen more things on the line I can never experience hunting or fishing. So many memories.
Will never forget one of the most active December meteor showers a few years back. I ran my coyote traps at 3:00AM so I could be back in time to get boys ready for school and get myself to work. The sky was clear and it was loaded with bright long-burning meteors. I stood in a mowed hay field, shut my headlight off, and in the absolute darkness around me just stood in awe at the light show overhead. Coyote were singing across the area all around me. I collected 4 nice dogs that night and smiled the whole way home. Very cool check for sure.
I also always seem to be able to take a couple notches off my belt line every trapping season. Its a good workout.
And, nothing more satisfying than a good load of well handled fur and the run to the buyer at the end.
Yep, I prefer trapping.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 01:57 PM

I always trapped more than hunt. I haven't hunted for about 45 years. I suppose it was because I had much more success trapping.

What does 😁 mean?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

What does 😁 mean?

most likely an emoji the board doesnt recognize
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 02:23 PM

I pursue both, I flip a switch depending on the season
Posted By: curtisd

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 02:36 PM

I would hate to choose between the 2. Been hunting every since I could carry a gun.
Been trapping 12 years and love it.
I enjoy trapping a little more but would hate to stop hunting.

Land availability to me is no problem. I have thousands of acres of private property that I can trap.
I tell my friends about things I see trapping and they wish they could see that. Tel them they could ride along.
I tell them I leave an hour before daylight every morning no matter the weather. Nobody ever shows up.
Our rifle deer season opens Saturday and trapping season Monday. I’m going to be busy this week getting ready for both.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: What draws you to.. - 11/08/21 11:47 PM

yep sorry it was a mojo error.. really enjoy these type of conversations. keep them coming! I dont trap or hunt like i use to do to family obligations currently... The other part is the time to put up the fur but its still a joy for me regardless of how little I do.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums