Home

Our deer herd will suffer !!

Posted By: jbyrd63

Our deer herd will suffer !! - 11/11/21 02:19 PM

Based on the idiots running our herd management our deer are doomed The new press release yesterday it will be bad! First our state is broken up into 4 zones. Different bag limits for each. Zone one is unlimited deer with only 1 buck state wide. BUT this year you can kill each zones limit !
1. is unlimited no change
2. one buck and up to 4 does
3 One buck and 2 does
4 One buck 1 doe.
So a hunter can zone hop and legally kill 7 deer in the zones with low deer population. This is what happens when you hire a woman straight out of college from georgia that doesn't understand the difference in habitat.
She's in charge of herd management. When ask about this on the annual call in show she said people aren't seeing deer in the fields because they are back in the woods. But this isn't georgia the back of the woods is the front of another farm . Sign of the times. Educated fools in charge.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:21 PM

That's what every yocal says about every game, and fish agency.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Based on the idiots running our herd management our deer are doomed The new press realesse yesterday it will be bad.

Also:

I shot 17 deer last year.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:25 PM

how long is the season ?

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B
Based on the idiots running our herd management our deer are doomed The new press realesse yesterday it will be bad.

Also:

That was over 3 year learn to comprehend. IN ZONE ONE crop damage tags part of the lease agreement to hunt there. Could have killed them all legaly in that zone. It's the other counties that deer population is down is where it will crash.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:31 PM

16 days statewide
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:32 PM

Your season's only 15 days? lol.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:34 PM

Your deer ought to be fine. We have about a 75 day gun season. Limit of 8 deer. Our population isn't coming down. They increased the deer limit this year along the TN border to be 13 deer.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B

Also:

Marty you must work for CNN Love the way you cut and pasted that comment that I shot 17 deer last year ! My post said they processed 17 deer for me I DIDN'T say I shot them . My son killed 5-6 of those I TOOK THEM TO BUTCHER TO GIVE TO NEEDY . You understand that !!! or I type too fast.
OVER 3 years period of time
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:35 PM

Everyone’s a deer biologist for a few weeks every year don’t you know they said when I lived in MI. LOL

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Your deer ought to be fine. We have about a 75 day gun season. Limit of 8 deer. Our population isn't coming down. They increased the deer limit this year along the TN border to be 13 deer.

Yes but your habitat is WAYYY different . Western Ky will be fine low human population and grain feilds out the wazoo. It has been unlimited there for years . It's central and eastern ky that will suffer. With beef sky high deer are doomed lol.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:38 PM

they seem to keep giving piles of tags here but we have 2 things slowing down the actual harvest

we have 2 major things slowing down the actual harvest here

time , hours in the day are limited and a short 9 day season

sanctuary , it doesn't take deer very long to figure out where they don't get shot at , one year I was hunting across the road from a church , the pastor pulled in and slammed his car door and 10 deer got up from under the pines next to the parsonage and ran , the wrong direction for me but they were there
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:47 PM

I'm not sure why some people always focus on the worst possible scenario and are absolutely certain that's exactly what will happen. Fact is, almost no one zone hops. People have their normal hunting areas and that's where they go. No one is traveling all over the state so they can shoot more does.
I would suggest using a little common sense, but I'd be wasting my breath.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:48 PM

I remember up in Kansas some county along US 36 got so sick of deer / car collisions that the county prosecutor announced publicly that anyone caught poaching faced some ridiculously small fine like say 20 bucks or something along those lines.

The entire country gasp and commented how the deer population was doomed so I watched the number of tags issued by the state in that unit expecting them to tumble the next 3 to 5 years but they never did.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:52 PM

Really sounds like a great opportunity to pack the freezer with venison.

When the grocery stores are out of food, then is the time to worry about the deer herds. IMO
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
I remember up in Kansas some county along US 36 got so sick of deer / car collisions that the county prosecutor announced publicly that anyone caught poaching faced some ridiculously small fine like say 20 bucks or something along those lines.

The entire country gasp and commented how the deer population was doomed so I watched the number of tags issued by the state in that unit expecting them to tumble the next 3 to 5 years but they never did.

X2. Your goats will be fine. Looks like a great way for ky to get ontop of buck/doe ratio.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
I'm not sure why some people always focus on the worst possible scenario and are absolutely certain that's exactly what will happen. Fact is, almost no one zone hops. People have their normal hunting areas and that's where they go. No one is traveling all over the state so they can shoot more does.

Lol you ever leave your small world ? The areas that have low bag limits people come to the other zones In droves Like buckeyes to the lake!
They just find a spot and hunt forget permission! Shoot anything that walks

Now they will come to zone 3 shoot there limit then keep traveling west until season ends
I’ll post some pics of caravans coming thru on Friday
The main highway from eastern ky goes thru my town
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Everyone’s a deer biologist for a few weeks every year don’t you know they said when I lived in MI. LOL

Few truer words can be spoken!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:07 PM

I think it would be great if deer went extinct. No more antler hunting knot heads to contend with. Could probably get permission to hunt most anywhere again. 99% less fur and trap theft too.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:07 PM

Wait I thought the Kansas deer population got wiped out ten years ago when they let all the nonresidents in.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:09 PM

I do when one or both of the kids tag out in one zone. I will even cross the river to KY.

I always have zone hoped. Esp when I was the only ine doing the shooting. May not be common but i know several that do. We eat a lot of deer the kids prefer it to beef.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:09 PM

LOL!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:11 PM

Calm down jbyrd......you wont even notice a difference in deer numbers.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:11 PM

Based on the idiots running our herd management our deer are doomed The new press release yesterday it will be bad! First our state is broken up into 4 zones. Different bag limits for each. Zone one is unlimited deer with only 1 buck state wide. BUT this year you can kill each zones limit !
1. is unlimited no change
2. one buck and up to 4 does
3 One buck and 2 does
4 One buck 1 doe.
So a hunter can zone hop and legally kill 7 deer in the zones with low deer population. This is what happens when you hire a woman straight out of college from georgia that doesn't understand the difference in habitat.
She's in charge of herd management. When ask about this on the annual call in show she said people aren't seeing deer in the fields because they are back in the woods. But this isn't georgia the back of the woods is the front of another farm . Sign of the times. Educated fools in charge.
[Linked Image]

Have you asked the game n fish if they would be interested having you show them the correct way to do things?

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Unless I turn my boys loose down there again. 😎 kidding they only shot one between the two of them in ky youth weekend. That was in an unlimited zone. Saw 16 other out of state youth hunters that weekend on that wma.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Wait I thought the Kansas deer population got wiped out ten years ago when they let all the nonresidents in.

Not hardly. Made populations worse. They lease 1000s of acres in hopes to kill one buck.. feed 1000s of lbs of corn an can't figure out why 34 does show everyday but not the big boy.
Posted By: run

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:19 PM

I wish someone would reduce the deer population in my part of Virginia.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:30 PM

It's okay jbyrd, we have plenty....Just point that electric bicycle west and it will be a blood-bath, Lol......C'mon over, we'll trash talk the big 10 and score some venison.....SEC!.. SEC!..SEC! grin

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:30 PM

Just a guess but they might be trying to reduce the deer numbers to avoid the deer die offs going around the country over the last several year it seems to be spreading more now. Just a thought.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:34 PM

I bet if you look at the percentage of hunters that legally kill more than 2 deer in the state its barely in the double digits. Wefe had tbe county by county limit thing for several years in Ohio with little issue. Might dee spikes in kills due to economic reasons.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:36 PM

It's the people that pull the trigger. They don't have to fill all of their tags. If they do, they're the idiots to blame. It's called conservation, not kill everything you're allowed to.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 03:36 PM

How do you know what anybody is doing in other states really with the different hunting styles in other states. You crack me up you always have the only answer your good at interrupting threads with some bogus logic that misses the point often. My favorite one you complaining about a conversation you say are people complaining about. LOL
Posted By: Marty

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 04:05 PM

Everything that involves government, local, state or federal, is now totally run by political considerations....the good of the people, state, local municipality, county is not really considered...government now see's itself as the master not the servant and it is a very bad situation.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 04:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDlpETyqweE
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 04:25 PM

They wont kill all the deer in Kentucky I promise

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 04:50 PM

I remember when shooting any doe was a sin many years ago they had people blocking the Bridge going from the lower side of MI to the UP they tried to stop people with any doe tags from coming up. Even as a kid it sounded crazy to me now culling the does in a common practice in management areas.

I don’t see the plans to stop the outbreaks working that I ever heard of yet but them maybe it would be worse if they did nothing it’s tough to say. The EHD is enhanced when the deer have limited water and gather in wet areas so who really knows.
Posted By: sako22

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 04:58 PM

Tell those zone hoppers to come up here and hunt! Deer are thicker than hair on a dogs back around here and you can't drive the roads without worry of hitting one. I've got plenty of .22 mag ammo and a good light to fill the tags! lol.. ( kidding of course on the .22 mag and light)
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:05 PM

A few things…

Jbyrd, didn’t you just inherit a bunch of land and post pics of some decent bucks on trail cam? You got nothing to lose now!

People all over keep saying thank a farmer. Well, those farmers hate deer and might just convince the dnr to up the bag limits on deer to limit their losses from those deer eating their crops. 80 deer in a field every night has gotta really hit them in their final harvest.

Last but not least, this is my opinion, I hate hearing and seeing people shoot a bunch of Doe’s then donate them to some food shelter. That must be an American thing cause I’ve never heard of it here.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:24 PM

Deer are pretty resilient so they should be ok. It might make it harder to kill 17 a year but that’s ok to.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
A few things…

Jbyrd, didn’t you just inherit a bunch of land and post pics of some decent bucks on trail cam? You got nothing to lose now!

People all over keep saying thank a farmer. Well, those farmers hate deer and might just convince the dnr to up the bag limits on deer to limit their losses from those deer eating their crops. 80 deer in a field every night has gotta really hit them in their final harvest.

Last but not least, this is my opinion, I hate hearing and seeing people shoot a bunch of Doe’s then donate them to some food shelter. That must be an American thing cause I’ve never heard of it here.

X2 Why kill does when you are worried about the deer herd numbers just to donate, there are plenty of government food handouts to feed the hungry. Just an excuse to shoot more deer... IMHO.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:52 PM

Just because people can shoot a certain number of deer doesn't mean they will. Most people will never shoot a larger number of does than they can use and most people won't use more than a few deer a year.

Keith
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
Originally Posted by BernieB.

Not hardly. Made populations worse. They lease 1000s of acres in hopes to kill one buck.. feed 1000s of lbs of corn an can't figure out why 34 does show everyday but not the big boy.

I'll second that. Ks couldn't control its deer population now if it wanted because of leasing and limited access.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 05:59 PM

As to this part, there are groups here that will cover the costs to have donated venison processed. Unless you have a lot of freezer space, you can only keep so much deer meat in the freezer. If you are overrun or helping a farmer that is overrun with deer, this is a good way to do so. We are suffering in many areas with guys looking for just trophy bucks which doesn't exactly help farmers. Farmers around here are starting to realize that lease moneh isn't offsetting the damage from deer and opening land back up to hunt
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:14 PM

A few things…

Thats a pretty broad statement, agriculture does not “ hate “ the native wildlife, well here at least. Most private landowners will do a pretty good job at management of domestic animals, crops, and wildlife. Most land owners hunt, or have family that does, if they dont hunt, most will give permission for someone to harvest deer, elk, antelope, prairie dogs,coyotes, or anything that is affecting there livelihood. If you make a living in ag, you go in knowing there will be some loss to crops and grassland from wildlife, if you dont its going to be a rough living. Do they all do it right, no, do all hunters do it right, no. Every year we set a number of deer that we will harvest, depending on the year and populations on our property, same thing the state does but we have control of how many deer are taken off our place legally with permits. Your statement is not wrong JP, some do complain to Game and Fish, but there are plenty that practice good management of resources also. And you last statement, I very much agree with, if your gonna shoot it, eat it…my neighbor shoots deer just to feed it to his cats and dogs!!!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:21 PM

Before your herd will be "wiped" out, these things will happen.......

The herd will be reduced and then land owners will post and not allow hunting.
People will group together and lease lots of other ground.
Private land owners will hunt public lands (for does) that are already over hunted by people displaced by the two sentences above because they don't want to shoot "their" does.
Hunting camps will disappear.
And finally, the herd will rebound on all but the over hunted public grounds.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:34 PM

cheapest degree in the world is the Wildlife Biologist Degree that you get free, with the purchase of a hunting license...
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:40 PM

You just bought your own land so why would the deer be wiped out. Are you one of those guys that has to fill every tag just because you have them?

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Unless I turn my boys loose down there again. 😎 kidding they only shot one between the two of them in ky youth weekend. That was in an unlimited zone. Saw 16 other out of state youth hunters that weekend on that wma.

You are proving my point !!!! Didn't see any because so many people flocked in there and killed them all LOL......

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
You just bought your own land so why would the deer be wiped out. Are you one of those guys that has to fill every tag just because you have them?

Not worried about "my little" spot . But yes My little spot I have 1 buck tag so yea I'll try my best to fill it. I have 1 doe tag for this zone and NO it won't be filled in this zone.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
It's okay jbyrd, we have plenty....Just point that electric bicycle west and it will be a blood-bath, Lol......C'mon over, we'll trash talk the big 10 and score some venison.....SEC!.. SEC!..SEC! grin

Don't tempt me I need around 7 does for needy families! Got plenty of ammo and if the God lord is willing plenty of time.
Posted By: Hunter53

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:46 PM

In Nebraska the rifle season is only 9 days. I would love to have 15 days!

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BraskaYoter

And you last statement, I very much agree with, if your gonna shoot it, eat it…my neighbor shoots deer just to feed it to his cats and dogs!!!

I guess I don't see the difference in shooting a deer to eat to save money on groceries, versus shooting a deer for your dogs to eat to save money on groceries?

Originally Posted by sako22
Tell those zone hoppers to come up here and hunt! Deer are thicker than hair on a dogs back around here and you can't drive the roads without worry of hitting one. I've got plenty of .22 mag ammo and a good light to fill the tags! lol.. ( kidding of course on the .22 mag and light)

If they kill one there aren't you in the CWD zone? Have to butcher it there. Once again western KY .

Originally Posted by Hunter53

In Nebraska the rifle season is only 9 days. I would love to have 15 days!

As a trapper foremost, I would also love to have a 15 day season versus the 75+ day gun deer season we have here.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:53 PM

The guy that has the corn lease were we had crop tags was amazed that here were I live you can only shoot 1 doe and a buck. The herd numbers are DRASTICAY different from one side of the state to the other. Terrain / ag/population are the main factors. PLUS 2 years in a row of wide spread blue tongue hurt the eastern co's.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 06:53 PM

Easy now it looks like a 1.5 hour drive or a little more but if i had axcess to nice location i may take you up on that.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 07:01 PM

A few things…

Inherit land ? LOL LOL I wish !! Wrote a check for 70,000 for 35 acres. SO NO and NO

FOR THOSE THAT CAN'T follow or refuse to take time to read the entire comment. THE STATE is divided into 4 zones. THE zone 1 and 2 can't and won't be killed off. ZONES 3 and 4 are the ones I'm talking about. I live in zone 3. I have hunted for over 30 years in zones 1or 2. THATS were the extra doe tags and food donations I gave came from. Zones 3 and 4 ,THAT is were the herds will suffer ! The orange army will roll out of every hill and holler in eastern KY stopping in the first co that lets you shoot does with a firearm. Here

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin

cheapest degree in the world is the Wildlife Biologist Degree that you get free, with the purchase of a hunting license...

The reason is the new biologist 90% have never hunted . Won't ever hunt. Spend 95% of their time in a office or a meeting. Never listen to people out in the field. Hunters know what they see OR not seeing.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 09:33 PM

How do you know what anybody is doing in other states really with the different hunting styles in other states. You crack me up you always have the only answer your good at interrupting threads with some bogus logic that misses the point often. My favorite one you complaining about a conversation you say are people complaining about. LOL

What are you even babbling about? How many replies will it take you until you make some sort of sense and get even a little on topic? At first I assumed you quoted the wrong person, but now it seems you’re just trying to be a di&$ for no reason.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 09:58 PM

It’s a constant it’s not hard to see, you just don’t get it never will.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
they seem to keep giving piles of tags here but we have 2 things slowing down the actual harvest

we have 2 major things slowing down the actual harvest here

time , hours in the day are limited and a short 9 day season

sanctuary , it doesn't take deer very long to figure out where they don't get shot at , one year I was hunting across the road from a church , the pastor pulled in and slammed his car door and 10 deer got up from under the pines next to the parsonage and ran , the wrong direction for me but they were there

You made them mis Services?

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Easy now it looks like a 1.5 hour drive or a little more but if i had axcess to nice location i may take you up on that.

The main problem with my area is finding places to hunt that aren't leased up. And the people who have the farms leased don't harvest many if any does at all usually

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:24 PM

If they kill one there aren't you in the CWD zone? Have to butcher it there. Once again western KY .

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:26 PM

I am nowhere near the CWD zone. I am an hour or so north of lexington.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:31 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but for years Alabama basically had a two deer a day, one buck one does or two does over the entire course of the season, all versions. Figured it up one time and you could legally kill over 200 deer a year.
You would think they would've wiped out the deer herd but nothing of the sort as the average Bubba is still the average Bubba and only killed his few over the course of all seasons. And those with the ability to kill more were already QDM and selective.
What was learned with the brown it's down regs was your average buck killed was 1.5-2.5 so the state now has season bag limits and antler restrictions on bucks.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:53 PM

Yeah, hunters with actual boots on the ground and decades of observation data don’t know anything, you need that college degree.
Just hire the Wildlife Biologists from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation, and your deer herd will be fine. ROFLMAO

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:57 PM

oringinal posted by M Magis

What are you even babbling about? How many replies will it take you until you make some sort of sense and get even a little on topic? At first I assumed you quoted the wrong person, but now it seems you’re just trying to be a di&$ for no reason.

Magis don't be so hard on yourself. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

Yeah, hunters with actual boots on the ground and decades of observation data don’t know anything, you need that college degree.
Just hire the Wildlife Biologists from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation, and your deer herd will be fine. ROFLMAO

I have MANY times heard from the "boots on the ground" brigade that 'I've been hunting the Miller property for forty years, and we USED to see 30-40 deer every day of the season. now, we're lucky to see three all season"...

how do the "boots on the ground" explain that? Mismanagement.

how does a real biologist explain that?

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/11/21 11:09 PM

I am nowhere near the CWD zone. I am an hour or so north of lexington.

My bad had to look up where you're at . I am thinking about fulton Co.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 12:03 AM

The next step is township by township zones or just plane hyper surveillance state, theres never going to be a perfect management system unless you can high fence large properties where you can control who and what is on the property. Unless you own several hundred acres minimum, however we you manage a property, it can be undone by your neighbors.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin

I have MANY times heard from the "boots on the ground" brigade that 'I've been hunting the Miller property for forty years, and we USED to see 30-40 deer every day of the season. now, we're lucky to see three all season"...

how do the "boots on the ground" explain that? Mismanagement.

how does a real biologist explain that?

Global warming?

No seriously, my first look would be habitat change. Five buck says forty years ago the Miller property was fresh clear cut or early successional and is now mature timber or some other change that often passes unnoticed by the brigade.

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 12:40 AM

A lot to that boots on the ground thing and Departments very from state to state or even areas in the same states may be run differently. A lot of people have good input and go to the meeting to share the knowledge to be helpful. I heard a lot of nonsense from many hunters also mostly based on lack of success or hunting by a different method.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 01:14 AM

thing to remember about wildlife agencies is they get most of their money from deer hunters in many states. they dont want to see sport hunting end.
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Squash

Exactly. Leave it to the morons with a college education and government officials to tell us rural country folks how to manage the wildlife and all will saved. Anyone that thinks the government knows best is a special kind of stupid.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Our deer herd will be wiped out !! - 11/12/21 02:15 AM

Our Deer season starts in early October and closes mid February.
We have a 3 buck limit, ( Very few abide by this) But you can shoot all the does you want ( 1 per day ) thru out the season.
We are still over run with does.
Not seeing deer in the green fields, could be caused by an abundance of acorns.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums