Home

Listen to your Doc?

Posted By: Law Dog

Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:06 AM

I see Cuz Roy is not listening to his Doc either. LOL I went to see my PA who I really like and respect I call her a Warrior. Seen her for a physical last week. We talked a bit got my hands some X-rays for trigger finger and they drew my blood.

A couple days later a helper calls me and says my PA said I need to come in and get a insulin shot and start on a statin. Never been on meds I was not having any issues/ problems I feel fine. Thought about it and said I’ll change my diet and get back to you in 3 months. PA called back not happy, she said I need to see the Doc this week.

Sat down with the Doc told him about my lousy diet and my plans to change my diet and to retest in 3 months before I jump into shots for the rest of my life. He understood and set me up for a 8 week review he knew I did my research so he liked that.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:08 AM

I hope that works for you so you can avoid the shots!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:10 AM

Hope you get it figured out. I had the same talk after I finally went for my blood pressure. 180/110 if I remember right. Going back in a couple weeks been running 130/90
Posted By: EdP

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:10 AM

Add exercise to the diet improvement and you will have a much better chance of a good result, but you have to make it a lifestyle change or you will be right back to where you are. Good luck.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
Add exercise to the diet improvement and you will have a much better chance of a good result, but you have to make it a lifestyle change or you will be right back to where you are. Good luck.

I have been good it sucks so far. LOL We have been ordering candy from Nuts.com big mistake so the problem is pretty clear but I like candy. My blood pressure was good so go figure on that.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:22 AM

If you're taking your BP at home I recommend doing it 3 times in a row...it will almost certainly come down each time.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:37 AM

well I am on the Metformin and eating no sugar end of September the Dr walked in said well your diabetic and you have been for a while they thought I was at 300 for about 3 months or longer

watching my numbers every day now

Walmart has rely-on meters the test strips are 100 for 17.88 , the strips my insurance will pay for cost more and the insurance will only cover enough to test about onece a day or as the nurse said 3 times every 3 days

I just buy my own strips and test as needed to figure out how each food effects me

no sugar ,no bread , no potatoes , no rice , no pasta , no chips

snack food is mostly nuts , cheese , sausage

besides a very little bit of Fair life lactose free milk it has 1/2 the carbs of regular milk , I have that milk in my coffee each morning 1 or 2 coffees about 3 ounces in each coffee. it is water and unsweetened tea if I am out the gas stations have the unsweetened tea

sometimes you just want a beverage with some flavor that is cold and wet

bring any snacks with you when you go out because finding things when your out is really hard

a lettuce wrap sandwich with some mustard watch the lunch meat for how many carbs

dinner tonight is stir fry , no rice , PF chang brand makes a 1g of carb Korean hot sauce I mix that with some 0 carb Mayo for a sauce
carrots , chicken , napa cabage , red and yellow pepper , onion , mushrooms

my blood pressure was very good and my cholesterol looked decent.

the dietitian was talking possible statin , so we will see
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Nope. Just start digging a hole for me. That ain't living.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:11 AM

Choices are slim and about impossible out here in places it’s going to suck but I gotta do it. Eggs are OK so between them cereal and oatmeal breakfast is covered. I could eat chicken several times a week no problem but snacks I’m working on.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Nope. Just start digging a hole for me. That ain't living.

Well I am not going to lie I considered it for a minute. Then I decided I should give it a serious try before I made any decisions in haste

Then I decided I could enjoy life in other ways

I took every Thursday afternoon off during pheasant season and I go chase pheasants with my Neighbor who is also diabetic and my son.

I have also signed up for a USPSA match this weekend.

SO if I can't eat or drink I am going to shoot sh*t

we got 3 birds this afternoon saw 10+ we lost count I almost ran out of shells a good problem to have I should have brought more but since I had used all of 1 all season so far the one I didn't bring down I blew the tail off and we chased that rooster all over the place last time I flushed it was after dark and had to just watch it fly off.

I am a couple pounds from the lightest I have been in 20 years , not eating much Sucks but not hunting sucks more.

on the up side , steak and pork chops fit into my diet very well.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Choices are slim and about impossible out here in places it’s going to suck but I gotta do it. Eggs are OK so between them cereal and oatmeal breakfast is covered. I could eat chicken several times a week no problem but snacks I’m working on.

almonds make a decent snack , as does Johnsonville summer sausage

I really like apples local orchard but I have to keep it to 1 maybe 2 a day took me a little while to realize that.

eating out we hit a gyro place and I asked for the Gyro with no pita and added a salad that actually worked very well

the other place I ate out was a Chinese restaurant I ordered the platter of Moo goo guy pan they use just a little potato starch to thicken the gravy and that didn't effect me.

my daughter was breading and frying chicken the other day I tried a piece , the very minimal breading didn't seem to increase my numbers much so I am trying FIsh Fry next week no fries and no catsup.

Mayo and hot sauce or mustard are the Catsup replacement.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:37 AM

Our local stores have rotisserie or baked chicken that’s a silver lining for me.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:30 AM

Welcome to the club, Jerry and Pete! I'm surprised they wanted to go straight to insulin with you Jerry. I was in my late fortys when I found out I was diabetic, and been on pills ever since. I'll be 75 in Jan, and every year that goes by, it gets harder to control. Watch your carbs on everything you eat. It's a battle, and once in awhile, you just gotta let your guard down, but make sure it's only for a day, cause otherwise, it's like starting over again!

Pete, watch those apples. I love them too, but only eat a half one day and the other half the next. Two apples in one day would have me three hundred all day! All fruit is full of sugar, sucrose.....but still sugar! Berrys are a good choice, blueberries, raspberries, strawberrys are all better than the stone fruits or apples or pears!
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:33 AM

Pete check out G Hughes ketchup. Tastes like regular to me and only 1g carb and 5 calories

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:48 AM

I’m picky eater so maybe that’s a good thing so eating the same foods that I like is what I already do during the week and I don’t do grease or fat my gut won’t take it. I’ll get it figured out just digging through the info to figure out what’s real as sugar has many names. I will minimize the fake sweeteners just need to read the labels. Found a sweetener that makes the coffee work just using it for that only now.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 08:20 AM

They make fake sugar called Erythritol taste and looks just like sugar. I been using that and make my own chocolate candy bars and also make cake in the microwave in two minutes using almond and coconut flour nuts and berries.

You can eat alot of the same foods if you change ingredients. Fat is your friend to keep your system working. Need good fat like olive oil and coconut oil and butter. Dont count calories count carbs.

Stay away from grains, Vegetable oil/seed oils, and sugar and you will be much better off. That includes fruit is full of sugar. Eat it only in season.

Eat avocado's, cabbage, cheese, nuts, green leafy vegies, grass fed dairy and meat, pasture raised eggs and chicken, and wild caught seafood.

You have a chance to reverse it if you want too.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 08:33 AM

A question for you guys trying to stay low carb;

Do you notice that at about 8 in the evening you get a really strong craving for something like donuts and find yourself heading to the grocery store?

I was doing low carbs sometime back and noticed that craving. About the same time I was reading a book that put forward the idea that maybe alcoholism is merely carb addiction along with a mind altering side
-affect that a lot of people desire.

I'm still wondering about that idea.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 08:40 AM

That usually means your fat starved. Eat some cheese or avocado or nuts or healthy chocolate, or full fat milk.

Yes beer is crazy high in carbs especially IPA and your body would be addicted to that amount, or used to getting it anyway.

You pretty much have to give up packaged foods. Most have sugar, or vegetable oil or flour. Cook your own food its better anyway. Just a little longer prep time.

I should also mention intermittent fasting. Its a good idea to skip a meal a day and try to have a 14 or more hour stretch you don't eat. So its two meals a day, (no snacking). I found the best way for me is to simply skip break fast after sleeping, and lunch if I am not working.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 10:42 AM

I found out that cutting out potatoes', used to have them at, just about every meal , and walking when trapping season is done is all I needed , a1c is as low as it's every been , smile
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 11:47 AM

I stopped all those filling carbs 5 months ago and lost 30 pounds,also dropped A1c to 6.1 pre diabetic status from 6.4. Checked sugar this morning is 94. Low sugar is good for leukemia. Cancers feed off sugar. My oncologist just keeps shaking his head. Take what they tell you with a grain of salt and do your research. 11.5 yrs with leukemia and no chemo yet!!!
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 01:22 PM

There goes the Ice Cream, Yogurt, Maple syrup, FRUITCAKE, DOUGHNUTS..

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
There goes the Ice Cream, Yogurt, Maple syrup, FRUITCAKE, DOUGHNUTS..

Yep, ya gotta decide which side of the grass you want to be! lol
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:23 PM

maple syrup I was told if pure is broken down by diabetics because it is either " alfa or beta" and one can be broken down the other accumulates in the system.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:35 PM

There is too much information on the interweb. I fear!lol
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 02:36 PM

well I am on the Metformin and eating no sugar end of September the Dr walked in said well your diabetic and you have been for a while they thought I was at 300 for about 3 months or longer

Walmart has rely-on meters the test strips are 100 for 17.88 , the strips my insurance will pay for cost more and the insurance will only cover enough to test about onece a day or as the nurse said 3 times every 3 days

I just buy my own strips and test as needed to figure out how each food effects me

besides a very little bit of Fair life lactose free milk it has 1/2 the carbs of regular milk , I have that milk in my coffee each morning 1 or 2 coffees about 3 ounces in each coffee. it is water and unsweetened tea if I am out the gas stations have the unsweetened tea

bring any snacks with you when you go out because finding things when your out is really hard

a lettuce wrap sandwich with some mustard watch the lunch meat for how many carbs

dinner tonight is stir fry , no rice , PF chang brand makes a 1g of carb Korean hot sauce I mix that with some 0 carb Mayo for a sauce

Look into the Keto diet. It's what you need to beat these things. I went on it five or six years ago and a couple of weeks ago my doctor asked me why did someone diagnose me as a diabetic. I told him I didn't know. Then said he'd get that removed from my medical records.

You'll find if you go Keto your numbers will drop dramatically and you'll have some great food to eat as well.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

Been doing a lot of web surfing lots of information and tricky names for sugar with statements like “diabetic friendly” it’s surprising what we eat everyday and don’t look at the label. Never had to this before but it’s all new to me.

The kicker is my A1c was 11 super high that’s why my PA freaked out but my diet of Heath bars, cupcakes, caramels and donuts caught up with me. I told the Doc it was easier to take a box of donuts on the trap line and unwrap them to keep them fresh, looks like it’s sandwich time now. I have not had any raw sugar since I talked with the Doc but not diving into the sweetener route until I finish my research.

Thanks for the input it’s appreciated.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 03:49 PM

I came across the maple syrup before the internut craze started.
There is one thing about it you sure have to know the Kreb cycle of sugar breakdown backwards and forwards

it is unscruplus maple producers that bump their finished product with sugar to finish it off and put it on the market. Health Canada has a test lab in Winnipeg here and they run the samples all the time. Problem is by the time they go to close guys down they change the production line labelling.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:20 PM

My God jerry 11 a1c? wew....you didnt notice sugar in eyes or any telltale things? pee alot? sandwiches wont help much unless keto bread or wraps etc. You can eat alot of chicken,fish although i know you said youre not much on fish. No breaded foods. Its not really all that bad,just a lifestyle change. Also lots of things have sugar of 1 sort or another.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:23 PM

Lots of places want your email address to get your information some will give you free products to get your email probably so they can sell it over and over. Any place that does that is not a place I would trust if they pull stuff like that I just move on.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:31 PM

All bread has to be whole grain they said, it’s not that bad the same with cereal whole grain only and the Doc was not wild about that. He was pro eggs that surprised me but I like eggs and raise chickens so that works. We buy lean pork that we get butchered so we are covered there plus I don’t do fat never could.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 04:46 PM

Stevia sweetener is the best way to go. It is all natural, from the namesake plant derived. It is the only natural sweetener that won’t spike blood sugar and 0 calories.

I recommend Sweet Leaf. This company enhances the taste with natural flavors, such as chocolate , vanilla cream, hazelnut, etc.

The other natural sweetener is Agave Nectar....much like honey in its consistency, it also doesn't make the spike in blood sugar levels, but unlike stevia, it needs to be taken in moderation.

The worst on the planet are artificial sweeteners, such as high fructose corn syrup, Splenda, and all the rest. They all do horrible things to the body, the fake ingredients are as poison in the body. Never even touch them, even in good health. Look closely at ingredients in boxed or packaged foods, fruit drinks, and many other drinks. Usually they are listed high in the beginning, but then other fake sugars are added too, on down ...they even double up on some of them.

I use Sweet Leaf Stevia in anything I want, including plain water if I want to flavor it with lemon juice or AVC. Actually, AVC in water with Stevia makes for a decent hydration drink that is totally good for you.

Low carb eating is a good way to detox and cleanse the system , getting BP, insulin levels, and others to where they need to be. Many people, after reaching their goal , can carefully have days of eating carbs again, but only in strict moderation.

The best thread on here is the low carb eating , with tons of great dishes shown, that Patrice began . It was just recently back up here , has gone downstream now, but still retrievable . I highly recommend reviewing that thread.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 05:25 PM

Stevia is what I use for my coffee less then a small pack a day it’s very sweet. My gums hurt the first few days I used it no issues now might of been from the sugar cut off not sure. For being in this condition they say I’m in I feel good even better after cutting the sugar off but never had any real serious issues for some reason.

Did have watery eyes but that was right after getting new glasses and it only came about when looking up close the bottom lens seemed very narrow when I got them. It’s also the hardest part of the lenses to keep clean too.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 06:05 PM

Jerry, I have never heard of problems like that with using it.

Could have been the temp of the drink.

Stevia is the safest known sweetener ever, 0 calories , 0 carbs. It is a bit of a different "sweet" taste , especially to those who are only used to cane sugar , etc., but with the natural flavors that Sweet Leaf puts in theirs, it makes it great. Used in coffee, it is wonderful , with the flavors adding to it like creamers do, but all natural.

Abby would have approved wink

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 06:13 PM

All bread has to be whole grain they said, it’s not that bad the same with cereal whole grain only and the Doc was not wild about that. He was pro eggs that surprised me but I like eggs and raise chickens so that works. We buy lean pork that we get butchered so we are covered there plus I don’t do fat never could.

No bread no cereal. Full of carbs. Especially whole grain its full of lectins too.

Maple syrup is crazy high crabs,

Don't buy prepared diet foods. Cook real food.

Look into Eurtithritol for sweetener it looks and taste just like sugar, its made out of monk fruit.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mac McAtee

Look into the Keto diet. It's what you need to beat these things. I went on it five or six years ago and a couple of weeks ago my doctor asked me why did someone diagnose me as a diabetic. I told him I didn't know. Then said he'd get that removed from my medical records.

You'll find if you go Keto your numbers will drop dramatically and you'll have some great food to eat as well.

been there a bout a month and a half . most days I think I could drop the Metroformin and control my numbers about 120 with nothing but diet. lost 16 pounds also since the last week of September

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

No bread no cereal. Full of carbs. Especially whole grain its full of lectins too.

Maple syrup is crazy high crabs,

Don't buy prepared diet foods. Cook real food.

Look into Eurtithritol for sweetener it looks and taste just like sugar, its made out of monk fruit.

I caught my dietician in that lie about whole grains , got her to look up the best bread she could find whole grain , then compare with plain white bread

not a big difference if you keep the serving weight the same

21gr of total carbs
the 100% whole wheat https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brownber...rR2ga71Z4hoCAjAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

the cheapest white bread 14gr total carbs because the weight per serving is less aka slice it thinner or get more air in it makes no difference both are too many carbs
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-White-Round-Top-Bread-Loaf-20-oz-22-Count/10315355

there is some truth to if your carb has enough fiber it takes longer for that to get into your blood , so you see less spike in sugar but you still have the same number of carbs over the day

almonds being an example of this 6g of carbs but they are dense and make you feel full and take longer to get those 6 carbs into your blood

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 06:53 PM

These last post are very solid info. Beware of the info you get, it isn't always spot on, and peoples opinions vary....even doctors. About four or five years ago, I went on the low carb diet, to try and control BS. I lasted a year and a half, of eating 12-15 carbs a day. My sugars were all over the chart, be perfect for a few days and then be 130-250 a few days. Never could figure it out. I lost weight, some I couldn't afford to lose! Went from 175 lbs to 160 during that time, with still erratic BS's. So I modified it back to eating some carbs, and put five pounds back on, and feel better. BS is still kinda erratic, but my last A1C was 7.4, which the doc was happy with. I was 131 awhile ago, before I ate lunch. I still eat kinda keto'ish, but not like they recommend. Eat lots of nuts, almonds and peanuts, good fats in them, and eat more fat than I used to anytime in my life, and my cholesterol is lower! Lots of low carb veggies, with butter and some seasoning, watch the carbs on veggies, there are a lot that have quite a lot of carbs. About live on protien, but it's better than the dirt bath! If I cheat, it is a very small portion, like a half spoon of ice cream or a half of small cookie, but only do that on special occasions! Good luck Jerry, and it is now just what you gotta do if you want to trap for any number of years!

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 07:02 PM

your stress level absolutely changes blood sugar also

in one week I went form a month of sub 130 bs , son dropped out of college and I was in budget negotiation issues I I was eating the same as I had been for a month in some cases same meal each night of the week almost ,I could go to bed at 130 3 hours after having eaten and wake up 160

you liver can make bs when your stressed
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 07:09 PM

Our ancestors never had sugar, spuds, rice, wheat or for that matter most veggies. They were hunter gatherers and farming did not come of age until about 10-15K years ago, so we have genetically not had a lot of time to change how our systems utilize or dispose of foods that were not part of our long term evolutionary journey. So if they could live w/o those tasty items to live I feel I can as well. I work hard to keep my blood sugar in balance as I raise a lot of veggies to eat and many of those are not part of a low carb diet. By raising a lot of my own food I can eliminate the sugar and the sodium which is common in many food items. When I make my own salsa I don't put any salt in at all. I use quite a bit of maple syrup as a sweetner, Sure fructose is not a health food but I can use less and get a good flavor as well.

Bryce

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 07:23 PM

The Doc claimed that to much protein was bad for the brain and fruits and veggies helped the brain to function properly he said high protein diets cause Brain function issues.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 08:16 PM

The Doc claimed that to much protein was bad for the brain and fruits and veggies helped the brain to function properly he said high protein diets cause Brain function issues.

welcome to stir fry

1 1/2 pounds of chicken to a gallon bucket of chopped vegetables

turnups are fairly low carb

cabbage is fairly good we do a 5 pack of brats and a small head of cabbage or a 1/4 head of a larger cabbage. in a small dutch oven , it cooks with salt ,and pepper and turns out nice

zuchini , onion , cabage , red and green peppers , mushrooms , chicken or cubed pork maybe a turnip , carrots ,
you get quick with a knife for all the Veg you will be dicing

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 09:47 PM

Good stuff there, Pete ! A good fast way to get them all in the meal.

But, as the hired killer in Croc Dundee said in his thick Aussie accent..." There's a quicker way..."

When I'm on the go or just busy, this potent power drink mix will keep you going and has much much more powerful veggie supplements than a person could ever get from looking and buying the produce.

I have liked and taken Dr. Schulze's Super Food, and many others of his products for some decades, along with other sources. What is good about Schulze is that his mixtures, supplements and tinctures are made very powerful, all natural ingredients, no sugars, no pesticides , no junk. And they are priced reasonably compared to others. All made in the right cold pressed process and stored in quality brown tinted glass jars.

The ingredients alone tell the viewer that this level of affective nutrition could never be easily accumulated in the raw forms, mush less ingested in a regular fashion to build over some time, good health and energy.

Two spoons full a day in water and stevia and I'm good to go. Others mix in juice or make smoothies with it. Comes as tablets or as a powder .

If you don't eat what you should, or have time, this is the ticket. Even if you do, this is a wonderful way to get the things the body thrives on that is not had in regular produce purchasing. It is a good filler, too, if you are eating less on certain days.

Nothing but good things to say for this .
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 09:57 PM

Cauliflower will never be rice... But enough cheese and pepper and it's tolerable.

Sweet tea is the devil to give up... You can't replace sweet tea with hot and spicy to make it better.

Mike

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/12/21 10:05 PM

Tried brown rice that was like eating cardboard, the Smuckers jelly was not bad I’ll need to read that label again. LOL

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 07:29 AM

Read all label's and take the carbs and minus - the fiber to get the true net carbs.

They make a Keto bread. Its made with the same ingredient's as regular bread except they added plant fiber to make it 0 net carbs. Taste just like normal bread.

The glycemic index measures how fast a carb is turned into sugar in your body and the top of the list for the fastest is rice, then potatoes and bread ,pasta. So adding fiber to your meal slows down the absorption rate. So eat salad with every meal Will help.

Also drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before meals it slows absorption too. Add a lemon slice and mix it with water to make it taste better. Drink lemon juice too.

Many reading this thread are in the same boat as you or will be as they age. If you look down and see a belly you most likely have a fatty liver. We can eat anything we want when we are young but it catches up to you in the form of abdominal fat. I am the same and thought I could eat anything and I did. I don't get fat, just becoming insulin resistant.

After dropping sugar and carbs I went from 195 to 175 in two months. I was not trying to lose weight and still eat until I am stuffed. My blood pressure went down. My eczema went away. All my joint pain I thought was arthritis went away and I can pee like a 12 year old boy again. My head is clear , much better mood.

Giving up some foods sucks but many good alternatives to some. Get almond flour and coconut flour and learn to make your own cakes and cookies cream cheese pie etc.

Have to give up fruit though or eat it in small amounts only in season. Its full of sugar. You can eat grapefruit and lemons and avocados every day. Berries are ok in small amounts.

You can have pizza just not the crust. Put the topping on a bed of lettuce leaves after its cooked and taste pretty good. Hamburgers the same way, other sandwiches too.

Eat plenty of eggs they are good for you. Salmon, shrimp, oysters, tuna, sardines pretty much all fish eat as much as you want.

Good cheeses not velveta or anything with vegetable oil. Grass fed if possible, Sheep and goat too. Drink whole milk. Low fat milk has added sugar.

Eat nuts, but not too many cashews or peanuts. Peanuts are full of omega 6 its a inflammatory. Get 100% peanut peanut butter, most has added sugar and vegetable oil, dump out the extra peanut oil, or better yet is almond butter.

Dont forget to salt your food to taste. I use pink Himalayan salt. Its a ancient deposit of salt in Pakistan that was formed before we created pollutants. Sea salt is full of plastic particulates.

Yes I have become a snob lol

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 11:57 AM

Read all label's and take the carbs and minus - the fiber to get the true net carbs.

They make a Keto bread. Its made with the same ingredient's as regular bread except they added plant fiber to make it 0 net carbs. Taste just like normal bread.

The glycemic index measures how fast a carb is turned into sugar in your body and the top of the list for the fastest is rice, then potatoes and bread ,pasta. So adding fiber to your meal slows down the absorption rate. So eat salad with every meal Will help.

Also drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before meals it slows absorption too. Add a lemon slice and mix it with water to make it taste better. Drink lemon juice too.

Many reading this thread are in the same boat as you or will be as they age. If you look down and see a belly you most likely have a fatty liver. We can eat anything we want when we are young but it catches up to you in the form of abdominal fat. I am the same and thought I could eat anything and I did. I don't get fat, just becoming insulin resistant.

After dropping sugar and carbs I went from 195 to 175 in two months. I was not trying to lose weight and still eat until I am stuffed. My blood pressure went down. My eczema went away. All my joint pain I thought was arthritis went away and I can pee like a 12 year old boy again. My head is clear , much better mood.

Giving up some foods sucks but many good alternatives to some. Get almond flour and coconut flour and learn to make your own cakes and cookies cream cheese pie etc.

Have to give up fruit though or eat it in small amounts only in season. Its full of sugar. You can eat grapefruit and lemons and avocados every day. Berries are ok in small amounts.

You can have pizza just not the crust. Put the topping on a bed of lettuce leaves after its cooked and taste pretty good. Hamburgers the same way, other sandwiches too.

Eat plenty of eggs they are good for you. Salmon, shrimp, oysters, tuna, sardines pretty much all fish eat as much as you want.

Good cheeses not velveta or anything with vegetable oil. Grass fed if possible, Sheep and goat too. Drink whole milk. Low fat milk has added sugar.

Eat nuts, but not too many cashews or peanuts. Peanuts are full of omega 6 its a inflammatory. Get 100% peanut peanut butter, most has added sugar and vegetable oil, dump out the extra peanut oil, or better yet is almond butter.

Dont forget to salt your food to taste. I use pink Himalayan salt. Its a ancient deposit of salt in Pakistan that was formed before we created pollutants. Sea salt is full of plastic particulates.

Yes I have become a snob lol

Good info Jeff!!!

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 02:05 PM

Thanks men for clearing up a lot of things for me it’s a learning experience for sure searching the web runs you in circles and more towards advertisements rather then answering many questions. Like the milk sugar issue lots of tricky problems to look out for. I read that the reduced fat peanut butter adds more salt to it so reading labels matter.

I told the wife we need to research items at home or we will be standing in Wally World for most of the day reading labels.

Thanks Again for the info.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 02:33 PM

There is a website that I have gone to a lot. Called Diabetes Daily. Lots of good info, some applicable, some not! But overall, it is very good.

I agree with just about everything Yukonjeff talked about.....except one. That is milk. Anything that ends in ose is sugar....lactose in low fat or whole is still loaded with sugars. I went to almond milk, non sweetened years ago when it first came out, and recommend it.

Oh Jerry, back when I waas diagnosed, they sent me and my wife to diabetes education. I would recommend that you do that. It spells out what kind of portions that you should be eating, and gets the newbe aquatinted with your new found life style. Insurance should pay for it. I remember thinking I was gonna starve to death! I'm still here! lol

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 02:56 PM

Once we figure out where we are at level wise I will go to a nutritionist then the Doc brought that up just no clue what my real levels will be after I eat right for 8 weeks and will see what happens.

I plan to bring a list of what I like out of my choices now and will see how many they nix.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/13/21 07:29 PM

Welcome to the club, Jerry and Pete! I'm surprised they wanted to go straight to insulin with you Jerry. I was in my late fortys when I found out I was diabetic, and been on pills ever since. I'll be 75 in Jan, and every year that goes by, it gets harder to control. Watch your carbs on everything you eat. It's a battle, and once in awhile, you just gotta let your guard down, but make sure it's only for a day, cause otherwise, it's like starting over again!

Pete, watch those apples. I love them too, but only eat a half one day and the other half the next. Two apples in one day would have me three hundred all day! All fruit is full of sugar, sucrose.....but still sugar! Berrys are a good choice, blueberries, raspberries, strawberrys are all better than the stone fruits or apples or pears!

Studies have shown that new type 2 dm when started on insulin and metformin together have a better chance of being able to be controlled on metformin alone later than those who are started on metformin only. Who knows why?

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/14/21 02:55 PM

My reason for not getting the shots right away was one I felt good, my diet was stupid and I can change that over time to have a base to work off of rather then working on a problem from the extreme end to the base. I’d rather do it naturally then get stuck on medicines I might not really need, I’ll take the meds if I have to I just want to be smart about it is all.

My PA who I really like seemed a bit knee jerked motivated at first but she’s looking out for me I appreciate that. The Doc was a bit more reserved and willing to work on the base start plan with no judgements. I thought 3 months he said 8 weeks to recheck my level so I will do that no problem.

I’ve not had a grain of sugar going on 3 weeks now, been light headed over the weekend more and more but nothing extreme eating helps that.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/15/21 09:28 PM

since Ketchup is basically all sugar , I have been experimenting with low carb options for flavor without carbs

found worcestshire sauce and a couple shakes of crystals hot sauce

1tps of worcetishire sauce is 1g and the crystals is 0g

a serving of A-1 is 17g where I can finish a steak in probably 1.5g with the worcetshire and crystals hot sauce

also thinking about fish this Friday found some tartar sauce at <1g

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/15/21 09:41 PM

No problem it’s more about choices for me rather then if your not sure of the direction your heading and things might make it worse. My stand is my poor choices in eating might spark a poor medical response based on unreal levels that can be changed.

After the 8 week cleansing I’ll do what they recommend with the next levels come out. The Doc agreed to the waiting before acting on useless test results that could do more harm then good.

I think hearing from anybody that has any impact on their medical outcome so no problem here.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/15/21 09:46 PM

It’s tricky because time after time the food advertised as good in several ways has a bad side they don’t talk about you need look at the labels and it’s high in salt, bad fats or sugars but they try to hide those facts.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/15/21 11:49 PM

Advertising in the smallest labels sells. Put it in such small print nobody over 50 can read it, been my point over and over again.

Your sugar with-draw symptoms take 6-8 weeks to break.
So I wish you best of luck.

There is probably a 12 Steps like the AA have.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/16/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Advertising in the smallest labels sells. Put it in such small print nobody over 50 can read it, been my point over and over again.

Your sugar with-draw symptoms take 6-8 weeks to break.
So I wish you best of luck.

There is probably a 12 Steps like the AA have.

Stevia plant sweetener is good not bitter like the old stuff was. I’m trying Monk Fruit sweetener tonight not as sweet will see how it sit tonight. Coffee, tea and ice water is all I’m drinking now.

Thanks

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/16/21 07:42 AM

Don't worry about salt and fat. Don't count calories. Count carbs and sugar. You need to eat fat, a lot of good fat on a low carb diet, and every animal needs salt. Salt your food to taste.

Eat as much as you want during a meal, then stop eating. Don't starve yourself. Skip one meal a day if you can.

Being low carb and low sugar means mostly cooking your own food. Most packaged foods are not as good, and labels can be misleading. You are really not on a diet , your just changing ingredients and what you eat.

Carbs hold water and when you lose the carbs the weight will melt off without trying or starving, you will become healthy again when your blood sugar is back to normal.

I could not give up chocolate and cake so learned how to make a healthy version it. It taste just as good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 02:57 PM

It’s been a few weeks of no raw sugar, sweets or added salt, overall I feel better less fatigue but buzzed at times like the top of my head fell asleep. LOL That’s about the extent of it really no major issues aside from the light headed issue that’s minor I’m still going about my day taking care of the chickens and the boiler full for heat, I can switch back to furnace anytime if needed.

Did the 4H ethics kid class over the weekend it took a bit to get the one hand setters on the trap right with the buzz on but it went fine after that, the next class is in the garden in 2 weeks making sets. Will work on the wood pile today and see what that brings so I know what a workload will bring after a long day before I put my trap line out. I want to see if the fuel to work is a issue with the limited intake going on now.

New diet is not bad the Doc said eggs are fine within reason and sausage or bacon but sparingly, oatmeal whole grain cereal plain Cheerios with whole grain breads work for breakfast. Lunch is the tricky meal a meat sandwich with lettuce and tomato or “toast” cracker with sugar free jelly or peanut butter at times with fruit 3X a day. A banana in my cereal works as a sweetener for the plain Cheerios well. Dinner is about the same just with sweet potatoes In place of white or red ones.

Will what this brings.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 04:04 PM

Your pancreas is still adjusting to the change.
It will take that whole 6-8 weeks so the best of luck.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 07:00 PM

A simple walk for a mile or so every or every other day helps immensly for keeping BS under control. When I'm trapping and skinning, I don't walk, but the rest of the time I try to.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 07:27 PM

I would change doctors. Bananas are full if carbs and sugar, so is fruit. you should eat none if you have blood sugar problems.. So are grains of all types including cheerios. I would lose the sweet potatoes too. Only once in awhile.

Good luck.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 08:52 PM

I would change doctors. Bananas are full if carbs and sugar, so is fruit. you should eat none if you have blood sugar problems.. So are grains of all types including cheerios. I would lose the sweet potatoes too. Only once in awhile.

Good luck.

So tree bark only? LOL J /K

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/22/21 11:41 PM

If you eat any of those things Jerry, Just eat very small portions. A ripe banana is just about pur sucrose! A piece, like a third wouuld be much better, a whole one, never! Sweet taters are much better than irish taters, but once again.....small portions.

I know bud, when you first start into this, it is a PITA! But I have known a lot of guys that didn't take care of it right, and most are toes up in the ground now. I wish I had doubled down harder when I first found out, but it's very easy to get lax about it. Wish you nothing but the best, Jerry!

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/23/21 12:37 AM

Ya it’s a pain lots of options out there lots of info but without a base to start from its a crap shoot now. I lost 20 pounds last trapping season that never came back this summer so the weight is good along with the blood pressure even with the lousy eating habits. Spent weeks looking for something good to eat that I might like but lots of games in the diet, keto, gluten free circle that have one bad thing or another in them.

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/23/21 01:22 AM

Yes, exactly. I have to eat gluten free, because I have celiac disease. Makes it worse on the diabetes, cause all the flours and ingredients for gluten free are sweeter with more carbs. Taste good, but not too good for you.....smaller portions! grin
Posted By: waggler

Re: Listen to your Doc? - 11/23/21 01:35 AM

I will not listen to my doctor anymore; not since I learned from him that he is taking his orders from the Governor (My Dr. can't grant medical exemptions regardless of the facts). He has had his medical license threatened if he does what he thinks best. Apparently the Governor knows my medical situation better than my Dr..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums