Home

Coyote Prices

Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 06:59 PM

Has anyone heard of what buyers are paying for western heavies? I've heard that some buyers out west here aren't going out anymore?
Posted By: danvee

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 07:05 PM

Sold some early stuff for $35 bucks was told the heavies might bring $80 tops but had to be silky, pale and clear white belly very few will make that cut.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 09:00 PM

I spoke to a buyer that I worked in a fur room with, and he said that the grade would be much harder than it has been, color and texture were going to matter. He said there was a demand for good color heavy coyotes. He said they have all the semi's and brown course they want. The main man pushing the coyote market, has 200,000 tanned and only wants the best at this time. What most people don't under stand is no matter who bought the coyotes in the US or Canada the most ended up in the same place and he is backing off on the lower end. Canada Goose has been a nonplayer for a couple years. From what I have seen of them most the SD coyotes will not make the heavy grade this year.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 09:09 PM

Coyotes that graded semi+ last year will certainly be graded semi heavy this year. The grade will be tougher so hitting it later than normal will be wise this year. If the northern states get some snow that will help the color, with a little time to bleach the fur out. Less than fully prime fur will make producer and buyer unhappy. Good fully prime northern paler coyotes will still find plenty of willing buyers.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 09:12 PM

Don't think it's going to be good, some not even going on the road and buying.
Think the boom days are over.

Some agent's have been told not to receive any on their account.

Hope I'm wrong.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 10:15 PM

it costs about 50-60 cents a mile to drive a 4wd pickup. if I catch ten e ks coyotes one will be worth skinning. I am not going to drive very far

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 10:23 PM

250,000 miles one is wore out.

50,000 purchase price
tags for ten years 4 grand
6 sets of tires 5 grand
10 years of insurance is 10 grand
miscellaneous repairs 2 grand
gas is about 14000 gallons. at 250 a gallon thats 35000.
adds up to 106 thousand dollars (roughly) to drive 250,000 miles.

or 42 cents a mile. As you can see thats a very conservative estimate

P.S. I forgot to add in periodic maintenance like plugs, oil changes belts and at least one battery
Posted By: Boco

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

50,000 purchase price
6 sets of tires 5 grand

P.S. I forgot to add in periodic maintenance like plugs, oil changes belts and at least one battery

Yes but all those costs and many more besides are deducted from your profits for income tax purposes and many can be carried over into the good years to reduce your tax liability when the money is rolling in..

You gotta think and operate like Trump and the big boys-a loss on paper now and again can put large amounts of money in your pocket.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:25 PM

Just because part of your income is tax exempt doesn't change the fact that those costs are real.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:34 PM

Triple AAA's vehicle cost of operation chart is available to members. It says the average 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup truck to own, insure, maintain, depreciate, and fuel up costs 75.39 cents per mile to operate today, based on someone who drives 20K a year. More for those that drive fewer miles, less for those who drive more than that (but not much less). Most folks don't calculate the real cost of operation.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:42 PM

A large portion of the costs associated with running a small buisness will be incurred whether you run the buisness or not.
Just one small example is if you use part of your personal property and vehicles for buisness use.Many of your bills incurred will be deductable(pro-rated of course to reflect the portion for buisness use.
For example if half your home floorspace is dedicated to fur work year round half of all your costs associated with your home are deductable from your buisness profits,and can be carried over in years of loss to at least bring your liability to zero in years of large profits.
Good accounting(all legally allowed) can keep you in new equipment at very low actual costs also if you know when to roll over old equipment and how much to depreciate in balance with profits.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:49 PM

This will upset some people but sell for cash, pay in cash.
“Cash is King”

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/24/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
This will upset some people but sell for cash, pay in cash.
“Cash is King”

That works for the small timer but if you are making big bucks you need to take every advantage offered to small buisness operators.
Dont know about in the US but here the gov't bends over backwards to encourage small buisnesses to suceed and keep their earnings.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 12:21 AM

When I worked for a paycheck we had several business going, syrup, fish, firewood, fur and depredation. Kept a lot of money that the Govt. wanted me to give them.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 12:30 AM

I want to hear more about when the big money is rolling in…..we are talking wild fur right?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
A large portion of the costs associated with running a small buisness will be incurred whether you run the buisness or not.
Just one small example is if you use part of your personal property and vehicles for buisness use.Many of your bills incurred will be deductable(pro-rated of course to reflect the portion for buisness use.
For example if half your home floorspace is dedicated to fur work year round half of all your costs associated with your home are deductable from your buisness profits,and can be carried over in years of loss to at least bring your liability to zero in years of large profits.
Good accounting(all legally allowed) can keep you in new equipment at very low actual costs also if you know when to roll over old equipment and how much to depreciate in balance with profits.

Stick to putting up fur, you seem to be excellent at that!
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
I spoke to a buyer that I worked in a fur room with, and he said that the grade would be much harder than it has been, color and texture were going to matter. He said there was a demand for good color heavy coyotes. He said they have all the semi's and brown course they want. The main man pushing the coyote market, has 200,000 tanned and only wants the best at this time. What most people don't under stand is no matter who bought the coyotes in the US or Canada the most ended up in the same place and he is backing off on the lower end. Canada Goose has been a nonplayer for a couple years. From what I have seen of them most the SD coyotes will not make the heavy grade this year.

Who/what company is the "main man" pushing the yote market?
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by crosspatch
Originally Posted by MJM

That's good question ,,,, it does matter whom it is he does not live here and with 200k still to be sold she is going to be a speculation market. ( unless they are cheap) unwanted.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:22 AM

FHA will tell the story in the end this year [Linked Image]
That's the grade gents nothing other than these will make the grade imo

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

Stick to putting up fur, you seem to be excellent at that!

Well I know small buisness tax as well as fur put up,been doing both for the same amount of time.
Commercial trapping is under the same tax code here as commercial fishing.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:29 AM

The story with the 21-22 Season joke is;

What does a coyote say;
ruff - ruff
Now it is going to be;
rough, rough

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by red mt

Those are some dandy looking pelts, similar in look to the clear pale arctic wolves.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 05:14 AM

It's going to be a rough year for those wishing to make big dollars, though one might get by if they find a few alternate buyers who don't really look at pelts in the same vein as the large buyers do.

Much the same as buying a rifle or shot gun, instead of doing the buying your doing the selling !
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by crosspatch
Originally Posted by MJM

TTT - who is the "main man"? GFW?
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I want to hear more about when the big money is rolling in…..we are talking wild fur right?

I was told there would be obscene profits.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B

I was told there would be obscene profits.

Not for trappers you didnt.
Even in the best years trappers dont make nearly the profit markup that manufacturers and retailers do.

If you have been in the trapping game long enough you know the fluctuations are cyclical.Why you need good tax accounting to carry you over the lean years and minimize your tax liability in the boom years and all the in between.

There is a lot of time and effort that needs to be spent to maintain a trapline and protect your investments so you are not playing catch up when fur prices spike.By neglecting your annual line matenance you are kicking necessary work down the road that becomes overwhelming after a few years.

A developed and maintained trapline is a valuable asset to be protected if you want to get anything for it when you retire.-Just like any other buisness.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 05:31 PM

I don't believe many coyote trappers are going to sell their well maintained lines when they retire in America. I could be wrong?
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 06:20 PM

all my coyotes are "certified and traceable" i am expecting averages well over 150 grin
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur
all my coyotes are "certified and traceable" i am expecting averages well over 150 grin

In today's market, it's all about the decimal point.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Originally Posted by wallfur

In today's market, it's all about the decimal point.
......haha i left that out on purpose! that post was for boco nonsense rhetoric over the last 3 or 4 years

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 09:27 PM

Very important the C+T to the modern consumer.
Look what happened to your coyote market when Goose couldnt get trappers to sign on.
You guys sure screwed yourself on that deal.

FHA is all in with FURMARK.Check their website you will find out how critical C+T is to the industry.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I don't believe many coyote trappers are going to sell their well maintained lines when they retire in America. I could be wrong?

Not good to be a one trick pony if your in the game long term.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:00 PM

Look what happened to your coyote market when Goose couldnt get trappers to sign on.

FHA is all in with FURMARK.Check their website you will find out how critical C+T is to the industry.

Stick to your beaver bud.

Whole heck of a lot more going on right now than Canada gooses stupid feel good program not gaining traction.

But keep telling yourself that’s “the problem”.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:09 PM

Need to quit putting these on his pizza

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:21 PM

Boco has the answer to every pwobwem in America. You can bank on it. You just need good accounting and maintenance so you can sell your line for a profit.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Boco has the answer to every pwobwem in America. You can bank on it. You just need good accounting and maintenance so you can sell your line for a profit.

Wasn't the value of his line the carryover losses? Not profits. confused
Posted By: WBG

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:31 PM

Obscene profit, lol, correct.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:50 PM

Beaucoup walking eagle

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/25/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane

Stick to your beaver bud.

Whole heck of a lot more going on right now than Canada gooses stupid feel good program not gaining traction.

But keep telling yourself that’s “the problem”.

Hope you do good on your coyotes.
Beaver and marten here.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 12:09 AM

Boco,

How does selling the fur line work? Like transferring a lease or permit with years remaining? And, not to get personal, but what is the range of value? Generally.

I am curious how it works.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 12:46 AM

You sell the improvements not the land.Cabins trails portages and any equipment if you dont need it for a new line.The more work and upkeep you do on the line and the more developed it is with trails and marten boxes etc the more it is worth.Of course the size of the line and past harvest records also come into play.A lot of traplines are passed on within a family.I bought a nice little line close to town a few years back as a primary line for my son and a seconday line for myself.
Cabins, trails,portages,and any equipment if you dont need it on a new line are the improvements.
It is basically a willing buyer willing seller transaction.
There are also vacant lines that are available for free-those lines are not developed with poor acess and no cabins or old unmaintained cabins.Also by being neglected it will take a few years of hard work to produce any good amount of fur off a line like that.
it takes a lot of work to develop a line that has been vacant for any length of time-that is where the value lies in a well maintained line.
A good fur line,mostly maintained by an older trapper with a cabin on the river sold here a few months ago for $25,ooo.
One good thing about Ontario that keeps the prices of lines reasonable for trappers and keeps the lines in the hands of trappers is that you are required by law to trap it.
In other provinces traplines have been bought up by groups of hunters who want to have cabins in the bush to hunt out of and dont trap/manage the trapline.This artificially drives up the price of a trapline putting them out of reach of trappers.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 12:49 AM

You sell the improvements not the land.Cabins trails portages and any equipment if you dont need it for a new line.The more work and upkeep you do on the line and the more developed it is with trails and marten boxes etc the more it is worth.Of course the size of the line and past harvest records also come into play.A lot of traplines are passed on within a family.I bought a nice little line close to town a few years back as a primary line for my son and a seconday line for myself.
Cabins, trails,portages,and any equipment if you dont need it on a new line are the improvements.
There are also vacant lines that are available for free-those lines are not developed with poor acess and no cabins or old unmaintained cabins.Also by being neglected it will take a few years of hard work to produce any good amount of fur off a line like that.
it takes a lot of work to develop a line that has been vacant for any length of time-that is where the value lies in a well maintained line.
A good fur line,mostly maintained by an older trapper with a cabin on the river sold here a few months ago for $25,ooo.
One good thing about Ontario that keeps the prices of lines reasonable for trappers and keeps the lines in the hands of trappers is that you are required by law to trap it.
In other provinces traplines have been bought up by groups of hunters who want to have cabins in the bush to hunt out of and dont trap/manage the trapline.This artificially drives up the price of a trapline putting them out of reach of trappers.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 01:15 AM

Boco Here in the lower 48, we do not make or maintain trails, or build cabins for the most part. It does not apply to 90% of the people on this site. So preaching that means very little to most of us. I am also sure you are a tax expert on US tax laws
I hear the China man, backed a number of big US buyers, for more than one year, and that Sugar Daddy dried up. When I say big, I mean the biggest ones. When your Sugar Daddy is gone you slow way down on buying. Have you noticed any of that? How many people in the field buying fur are working for one of the big fur buyers in the US? They were all funneled to one collection point and with out it you were sunk.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 01:15 AM

Thank you for the explanation. This reminds me of a longterm lease of state or federal land here but for trapping instead of, for example, grazing. A difference would be if I improved the leased land I would lose the value of the improvements unless I assigned the lease or subleased the tract. Thanks again.

Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

50,000 purchase price
6 sets of tires 5 grand

30,000 miles and get a new one for about $5000
Tags for three years $270
no tires needed
3 years insurance $1800
repairs none needed maybe $300 for oil changes
Gas about $4000

Adds up $11,370 and I'm whole with a new truck like I started with.

About $0.38 cents a mile. Those are actual numbers from my 2018 chevy except I actually paid less than shown for gas and insurance. What run a truck not covered by warranty?

BTW: where I operate it is easy to spend $2000 a year on an old truck for repairs. I ran my 2007, 2005,1997 & 1991 all over 200,000

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Triple AAA's vehicle cost of operation chart is available to members. It says the average 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup truck to own, insure, maintain, depreciate, and fuel up costs 75.39 cents per mile to operate today, based on someone who drives 20K a year. More for those that drive fewer miles, less for those who drive more than that (but not much less). Most folks don't calculate the real cost of operation.

check my numbers (above) they are real number for a loaded chevy 4x4 crew cab.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 01:59 AM

Butch, who only drives 30k miles in three years? I put more than that on fishing lol.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:00 AM

Well I know small buisness tax as well as fur put up,been doing both for the same amount of time.

Why would you think that your taxes rules are the same as ours?

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Butch, who only drives 30k miles in three years? I put more than that on fishing lol.

I had two trucks for two of those three years.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

Why would you think that your taxes rules are the same as ours?

I never said that I thought they were.
Where did you dream that up?

Just like fur put up is not the same in the north,but lots of people are interested in it.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
Boco Here in the lower 48, we do not make or maintain trails, or build cabins for the most part. It does not apply to 90% of the people on this site. So preaching that means very little to most of us. I am also sure you are a tax expert on US tax laws
I hear the China man, backed a number of big US buyers, for more than one year, and that Sugar Daddy dried up. When I say big, I mean the biggest ones. When your Sugar Daddy is gone you slow way down on buying. Have you noticed any of that? How many people in the field buying fur are working for one of the big fur buyers in the US? They were all funneled to one collection point and with out it you were sunk.

I know about 90% are hobby trappers.but lots of canadian trappers who trap in the south also have lines in the north.And there are a lot of Canadian trappers on here-I bet most from the CNTA forum read on here too-so dont think everything is all about just one area.
I'm a Canadian trapper,NE ONT to be specific,of course trapping is not homogenous even here. I talk about my experiences in trapping,just like others talk only about their experiences and a lot of people are interested in how things are done in different places-I know I like to read about snakes and gators.

As far as selling fur we started our own fur marketing service,today its FHA formerly OTA.(Circa 1952)Ontario trappers were fed up with middle men or the monopoly HBC who would tell you -"this is the price take it or leave it"-well we left it. and decided to sell direct to the international market.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

30,000 miles and get a new one for about $4000 or less
Tags for one years $90
no tires needed
1 years insurance $600
repairs none needed maybe $200 for oil changes
Gas about $4000

Adds up $8890 and I'm whole with a new truck like I started with.

About $0.29 cents a mile. I never plan to drive a truck after the warranty expires. For me riding around in a new truck beats riding around in a "beater" and the per mile cost is much less. No one would believe me if I told you my actual cost after taxes. I use the truck for "guiding" and write off 80% or 90% of those costs. Look at what your tax savings would be if you take $25,000 + depreciation + the other vehicle costs off of you total income. If I really do a hard count I think the government pays me to drive a new truck.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 04:05 AM

Sell now! By February, you wont be able to give a coyote away.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 04:06 AM

It is amazing how much wild fur gets caught with all these posts from trappers saying it does not pay to even turn the key on the ignition. I am avoiding coon very well this year and looks like I will our coyotes too. We don't have a coyote like those in the photo within 500 miles of my house. Big, off colored, stained bellies, rubs and coarse fur is the norm here.

Bryce

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
It is amazing how much wild fur gets caught with all these posts from trappers saying it does not pay to even turn the key on the ignition. I am avoiding coon very well this year and looks like I will our coyotes too. We don't have a coyote like those in the photo within 500 miles of my house. Big, off colored, stained bellies, rubs and coarse fur is the norm here.

Bryce

People need hobbies. Mine are not trapping.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:38 PM

About coyote prices. I killed one a few weeks ago and put it in a friend's fur shed. He put it up and brought it back to me. Can't even give them away this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 02:57 PM

Freezing coyote fur is an option, but also a risk...Market might not recover on the lesser quality skins for a while.

Some say the market is seeing tail lights on even the best coyote skins in the next few years, but it will cycle back around eventually, IMO.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 03:29 PM

I know guy with 700 coyotes skins in his freezers and he has NO MARKET for them.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I know guy with 700 coyotes skins in his freezers and he has NO MARKET for them.

That's rough Beav, hope he is able to move them at some point.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Will he take 10 bucks apiece for a 100 of them? I have a buyers license.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 06:20 PM

I don't think so.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 08:08 PM

I think a couple of buyers looked at them ...

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 08:25 PM

Spot On.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 08:39 PM

I can see why grony dosen't bother with the expense of running a route this year. What buyer would that has access to fha when they are more than willing to give them away without the shell game plus they're already put up. I hope Robert makes out good with his remaining coyotes. If he does he'll be darn lucky.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 09:45 PM

Rumors have it 35$ top on N.D. pale select heavies
Pestka
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 09:56 PM

Pestka

WOW ! I can just imagine what our N. IL coyotes are worth????

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 10:36 PM

Who would buy a Canadian trapline with today's fur prices?

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 10:46 PM

A southerner who wants his own place in the bush to live the life part of the year.
Nows a good time to make an offer.
There are always trappers from Southern Ontario looking to by remote lines in the North.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 10:59 PM

I bet good coyotes will still sell well after the market has a little time to adjust, and the world settles down with Covid. Western good coyotes will still have a market, albeit not as high as in years past.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 11:02 PM

I bet good coyotes will still sell well after the market has a little time to adjust, and the world settles down with Covid. Western good coyotes will still have a market, albeit not as high as in years past.

Good time to speculate if you believe that. It's almost 2 years into covid and to be honest things are getting worse. I bet who ever is buying coyotes this year is doing just that without any order past them. I haven't been into trapping terribly long but speculation on fur hasn't done to well when the market is going south. Slow turn around it looks like for me. And when the product can get stale a slow turn around can be costly.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 11:21 PM

Pestka

Petska's top dollar is about the same as mine lol and that's not saying much.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 11:55 PM

Who would buy a Canadian trapline with today's fur prices?

Canadian hobby trappers and sport hunters and possibly sport fishermen.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by M.S. Pickins
Pestka

Petska's top dollar is about the same as mine lol and that's not saying much.

But he is at least out there trying. Guys should be happy for any buyer spending money!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/26/21 11:59 PM

alpt of buyers are saying 35 tops
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

I know about 90% are hobby trappers.but lots of canadian trappers who trap in the south also have lines in the north.And there are a lot of Canadian trappers on here-I bet most from the CNTA forum read on here too-so dont think everything is all about just one area.
I'm a Canadian trapper,NE ONT to be specific,of course trapping is not homogenous even here. I talk about my experiences in trapping,just like others talk only about their experiences and a lot of people are interested in how things are done in different places-I know I like to read about snakes and gators.

As far as selling fur we started our own fur marketing service,today its FHA formerly OTA.(Circa 1952)Ontario trappers were fed up with middle men or the monopoly HBC who would tell you -"this is the price take it or leave it"-well we left it. and decided to sell direct to the international market.

Thanks Boco for that information.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 12:40 AM

It's going to be a tough year hope Greg get lots of them
But I think the north Dakota sale will get the bulk of them put up ones that is.
Imo coyotes of that quality should be 100$ average. But if they are not buying at that price no sense letting guys clip coupons ,( ie) coon market for example.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 12:59 AM

Markets change.

12 years ago you couldn't give a coyote away. $35 would have bought any, and all yotes in the country.

The ol' war horses talk about 3yrs being a good run for any one species.

Yotes been on an 8yr run up.

The ol' war horses have spidey senses, when they say: "sell em as fast as you can stretch em." It means their gut doesn't trust what's happening.

In the end every man is free to gamble as he sees fit.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:14 AM

Agreed|||||||{{{{||||||||||^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:59 AM

Arkansas. coyotes bring a top dollar!
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 02:06 AM

Markets change.

12 years ago you couldn't give a coyote away. $35 would have bought any, and all yotes in the country.

The ol' war horses talk about 3yrs being a good run for any one species.

Yotes been on an 8yr run up.

The ol' war horses have spidey senses, when they say: "sell em as fast as you can stretch em." It means their gut doesn't trust what's happening.

In the end every man is free to gamble as he sees fit.

Had the same spidey sense when coon market collapsed. Sold as fast as they were dry.

Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 02:41 AM

700? That was a gamble someone wishes they could play over.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 02:58 AM

The trick is to not get enough fur to worry about....

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 03:12 AM

The road goes on forever, and the party never ends.

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Maybe if the Jackson 5 needed hair transplants. Lol.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 03:57 AM

I bet those who sell good coyotes early this season will find out that they sold too cheap.
Posted By: 60inchsnare

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 05:21 AM

Don't sell to Marty is a good start.
Posted By: 60inchsnare

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 05:35 AM

Marty means I am here to steal what you have.
Never felt like a total looser til I dealt with him.
I would take Griz and him giving me 0 any day.
I have sold plenty of coyotes for $5. Not really about the $
I have a job that let's me pursue these critters at my leisure.
And it's definitely not to put $ in Marty's hands. Perska fur
In my opinion means your fur is never good enough.
I can't be the only one that thinks this.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Maybe if the Jackson 5 needed hair transplants. Lol.

Rofl
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 09:20 AM

Saskatchewan and Alberta open trappers dont have registered lines and already go south come 15 January after their winter coyote run is over and wait to see what the market is going to do.
Oh wait the boarder was closed last year so they missed their southern trips, and the way things are rolling out again may face the same road block.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 60inchsnare

Quit beating around the bush my man!
Let us know your real opinion lol!!
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:22 PM

Who's Marty?
And did we ever identify who is the "main man" in the coyote market?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:28 PM

Good time to speculate if you believe that. It's almost 2 years into covid and to be honest things are getting worse. I bet who ever is buying coyotes this year is doing just that without any order past them.

Omicron a coming!! This is never going to end with little demi-gods like Fauci in control. Then again, if people start actually physically resisting and throw some countries into civil wars, that might keep the fur market in a state of chaos. Me thinks its going to be an "unsettled" selling season...

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Who's Marty?

George Soros I believe
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:43 PM

[quote=60inchsnare]Marty means I am here to steal what you have.

So you've sold plenty of coyotes for $5.Then say its not about the $.
Then accuse Marty for trying to get your fur for next to nothing.
Hmmm
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 01:47 PM

You're dumping a pile of scat on the wrong dudes dude.
I always say, if you don't like the way someone treats you in a business situation, start your own business and see how wonderfully easy peasy it is.
whistle cool

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 06:44 PM

There is not one single buyer dealer or auction house that escapes bad press from some disgruntled customer.And vice versa.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 07:42 PM

That's when you keep it and put it up yourself and market it yourself.
If you got screwed you agreed to it. Takes two to tango!
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Saskatchewan and Alberta open trappers dont have registered lines and already go south come 15 January after their winter coyote run is over and wait to see what the market is going to do.
Oh wait the boarder was closed last year so they missed their southern trips, and the way things are rolling out again may face the same road block.

I can’t speak for Alberta but there are plenty of registered lines here in Sask so I’m unsure what you’re talking about.I also know a lot of coyote trappers, none of which go south in the winter.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 09:11 PM

Who's Marty?

Marty B posted above. He is a buyer for Petska furs.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 09:47 PM

Who's Marty?

Yep we did, the same main man that used to be king of the coon market.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 09:54 PM

A name hasn't been given.

Doesn't matter, most of us wouldn't recognize it.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 10:01 PM

Who's Marty?

So the same guy that was able to drive coon prices into the ground, and keep them there, is now doing the same with coyote?

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 10:03 PM

Relax, have a beer. It was a yoke

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 10:11 PM

Relax, have a beer. It was a yoke

Don't mind if I do, mine was a yoke as well. smile

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/27/21 10:38 PM

So the same guy that was able to drive coon prices into the ground, and keep them there, is now doing the same with coyote?

Yup, name of way hung low. I think he was involved in the rat market as well.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 12:03 AM

I bet those who sell good coyotes early this season will find out that they sold too cheap.
This sounds about right to me. It’s doom and gloom if you speak to the fur buyers. Ain’t pretty.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 12:43 AM

Who's Marty?

As for Marty, last I heard, he was driving a truck. Not a fur truck.

If I said his name do you think you would know him? He is from China. He has funded some MN buyers though. It does not really matter who he is, it is what he is doing that is effecting the market. I will call him Rich, because to have 200,000 coyotes that are tanned takes some money?

How is that coon market since he bailed?
Posted By: scheide

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 12:55 AM

According to Petska Facebook he is back buying for them.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by scheide
According to Petska Facebook he is back buying for them.

Yeah, he drives truck seasonally and then buys for Petska during the winter months.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 02:27 AM

Thanks MJM, not that it matters but interesting to know.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 02:45 AM

"The fur trade is rife with rumor,..." "However, it usually pays to base decisions on verifiable information, not rumours and hunches."
Gary Schroeder, FFG

July 2021 FHA sale I got 100 avg for my heavy coyotes and $40 for my semis. Turned out to be a $60.00 avg pre commission.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 05:18 AM

What good does it to know his name you can 't sell to him or her.
Just throwing his name around doesn’t gain you anything.
All I can say it will not make a difference as far as selling your coyotes .
Marty is one of the good guys he buys fur as he see it .
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 05:21 AM

You can speculate but there is much that most will never know about the inner workings of the fur market. What is visible is only a part of it. I will leave it at that.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
You can speculate but there is much that most will never know about the inner workings of the fur market. What is visible is only a part of it. I will leave it at that.

No truer word were ever spoken. Most of us have absolutely no idea of what actually goes on behind the scenes, including me.
The shell game that grony plays at the rat wagon pales in comparison to the bigger games that are played at our expense. Imo

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 12:45 PM

Your a funny guy, I never had a check bounce, paid any commission, or was forced to sell while selling to a traveling buyer. And no shipping cost. Just saying!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:03 PM

Every coyote is hoping that the coyote traps stay in the truck.
Not mine.
They're waxed and ready for the ground no matter how rich I do or don't get.

A trapper is what a trapper does.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
The trick is to not get enough fur to worry about....

crazy

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:14 PM

I'll listen to any constructive criticism.

I've never bent over backwards more to provide good customer service, than I did when I was a fur buyer.

One thing I learned after 12 yrs and half a million miles on the road in 14 different states, is the variation in human personality, means you won't make everyone happy.

You still try though.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:18 PM

Marty B I f you are back on the road and get up this way and need a place to stay give a shout. Maybe plan a couple days off the end of Feb early March and we will go spear fishing. Be safe.
Posted By: Kyle Krebs

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:25 PM

Looks like everyone is giving there opinion here so I'll share my vast knowledge as well.
First. MJM knows more bout the fur market than he lets out. Unfortunately he likes to tell stories so you gotta listen for hours to get the information your trying to get. Lol Seriously though he doesn't go around sharing rumors of what he thinks.

Second for all the Marty Haters. Mart has been to my place several times. Sometimes he bought others not. I'm not a fan of the 8 piles grading system he uses but when it's all over we always bartered on an average. He never got mad when I didn't sell to him. I have also traded and bought stuff off him at convention and talked to him or Greg petska on the phone lots of times. Over all I have to say Marty is a real good guy and is always willing to help if he can. I one time traded 2 dozen sweet corns for a homemade squirrel trap that I needed for my collection... It was a very hot august day so I'm not sure what he did with all that corn but I was happy.

Third thing. I have done a small bit of custom fur handling in my life. Most I have ever done was bout 100 coyotes in a season. But anyway I challenge anyone to go out and try buying fur or put up someone else's fur. I had guys bring me mange coyotes with no hair they shot with a 7mm deer hunting totally cuss me out when I told them that is junk throw it away... They had heard coyotes were 100 dollars. I seen a rancher pry a frozen coyote off his pickup with a crow bar... Actually tearing the leather not just hair. Can't figure out why my coyote isn't worth anything. The lack of knowledge on fur even amoug trappers us amazing. I didn't not claim to be an expert but I think I'd loose it and end up in jail if I tried buying fur.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:46 PM

I'll listen to any constructive criticism.

I've never bent over backwards more to provide good customer service, than I did when I was a fur buyer.

One thing I learned after 12 yrs and half a million miles on the road in 14 different states, is the variation in human personality, means you won't make everyone happy.

You still try though.

Marty my hats of to ya, you and the men like you must have nerves of steel. There were days you would show up on you're route that I didn't want to run the line because of the weather. Traveling some of the harshest conditions in the Great basin and mountain west. Thank you for the service you all prvide.
Rich.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 01:53 PM

Great stories Kyle...and Yes I agree. Most guys that don’t hunt or trap for fur don’t know is involved in selling fur.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 02:20 PM

For those who rant about fur buyers in this land of the free and home of the brave, you can't find too many of 'em still around to rant at.
Sadly.
Wish there were 1,000's but there are but a few left standing.
Thankfully.

That speaks volumes about the state of the state us trappers are looking at.
Hug a fur buyer today. grin

I look forward to the next time I see MartyB, whether or not I have pelts onboard.
Great guy who always treated me more than fair.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 02:30 PM

I always wondered how a fur buyer could make the ugly SC Nebraska coyotes look so good. I didn't know why they even bought them but was glad somebody wanted them.
Ya can't please everybody but pizzin everybody off is a piece of cake!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Every coyote is hoping that the coyote traps stay in the truck.
Not mine.
They're waxed and ready for the ground no matter how rich I do or don't get.

A trapper is what a trapper does.

Blessings,
Mark

But Mark your getting paid to catch those coyotes.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 03:13 PM

For those who rant about fur buyers in this land of the free and home of the brave, you can't find too many of 'em still around to rant at.
Sadly.
Thankfully.

I look forward to the next time I see MartyB, whether or not I have pelts onboard.

There could be 1000's, if trappers could make money. Back in the boom furbuyers could afford to FLY around remote villages and buy fur from lots of producers. Now few producers, no furbuyers. Price is the problem. Price has been circling the bowl since the boom.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 04:20 PM

I praise Marty for being active buying fur and I hope he does make money. I had 7 fur buyers in my town in PA where I grew up and there is zero today. The buyer has to make money to stay in business and so does the trapper. With all the information out there on fur handling, you still see fur that looked like it was drug behind a truck. A fur buyer has to deal with this every day.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
I praise Marty for being active buying fur and I hope he does make money. I had 7 fur buyers in my town in PA where I grew up and there is zero today. The buyer has to make money to stay in business and so does the trapper. With all the information out there on fur handling, you still see fur that looked like it was drug behind a truck. A fur buyer has to deal with this every day.

What is your incentive to do good fur handling? Mine is $. If you are not worried about $, why would you care about fur handling?

To your other point: The best info I have seen.

Petska Coyote harvesting and handling info
Posted By: bch

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 05:16 PM

Is anyone going to post a price they have been offered?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason

What is your incentive to do good fur handling? Mine is $. If you are not worried about $, why would you care about fur handling?

Mine is money also, but also pride in the work you do.
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 06:48 PM

I sold one on the carcass because I didn’t have time to put it up. A little darker than some semi heavy. $35

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 07:18 PM

How recent was that transaction Yellow?

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Krebs
Looks like everyone is giving there opinion here so I'll share my vast knowledge as well.
First. MJM knows more bout the fur market than he lets out. Unfortunately he likes to tell stories so you gotta listen for hours to get the information your trying to get. Lol Seriously though he doesn't go around sharing rumors of what he thinks.

Second for all the Marty Haters. Mart has been to my place several times. Sometimes he bought others not. I'm not a fan of the 8 piles grading system he uses but when it's all over we always bartered on an average. He never got mad when I didn't sell to him. I have also traded and bought stuff off him at convention and talked to him or Greg petska on the phone lots of times. Over all I have to say Marty is a real good guy and is always willing to help if he can. I one time traded 2 dozen sweet corns for a homemade squirrel trap that I needed for my collection... It was a very hot august day so I'm not sure what he did with all that corn but I was happy.

Third thing. I have done a small bit of custom fur handling in my life. Most I have ever done was bout 100 coyotes in a season. But anyway I challenge anyone to go out and try buying fur or put up someone else's fur. I had guys bring me mange coyotes with no hair they shot with a 7mm deer hunting totally cuss me out when I told them that is junk throw it away... They had heard coyotes were 100 dollars. I seen a rancher pry a frozen coyote off his pickup with a crow bar... Actually tearing the leather not just hair. Can't figure out why my coyote isn't worth anything. The lack of knowledge on fur even amoug trappers us amazing. I didn't not claim to be an expert but I think I'd loose it and end up in jail if I tried buying fur.

This gave me a belly laugh for certain! Anyone that has put up fur for another (especially shooters) or bought carcass goods has seen this EXACT scenario and had to suffer through all sorts of blasphemous insults and profanity from the guy who handed them a turd thinking it was a diamond. We should all say thank you to our country buyers, especially the road buyer, even if you don't make the deal. Thanks or compliments cost nothing and they make everyone involved feel warm and fuzzy.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 10:48 PM

Kyle Kerbs, I thought you were in jail. How's the dog? I put mine down the 22nd of Sept. He was past wore out. You just think I drug a story out before. I worked as a skinner for Pacific Hide and Fur. It was the biggest fur room in MT. We had $100,000 days buying fur over the counter. I have seen everything possible and some of it more than once. I maybe learned a few tricks myself. Be Safe.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 11:29 PM

Thanks Dirt the Petska website info was excellent!
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/28/21 11:59 PM

Marty Rocks!!
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 01:17 AM

10 days since I sold that coyote

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 01:19 AM

Excellent info from Petska, also presented at Coyote Days. Someone needs to post this next fall when folks start whining about starting too early and having to wait till after Thanksgiving.
Posted By: TB52J

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 01:32 AM

This thread is great! Best line was, "Hug a fur buyer!" LOL, I'd rather kiss a fur burger. If you question the price of fur offered by your buyer and he reminds you that trapping is a hobby, he is not doing you a favor.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 01:49 AM

TB....
Be the change you wish to see.
Get a truck, a trailer, a building, and all manner of stuff that costs money and go pound the pavement day in and day out for months and be sure to smile to everyone who stares you down sideways.
I got a lure building full of inventory says you won't. Easier to stare sideways than walk in someone else shoes for 50,000 miles or more.
We used to put 80,000 miles a year on when we hit all the conventions and trappers thought we were vacationing mostly.
Right.....
Yes, hug a fur buyer, we need more of 'em.
I've dealt with I don't know how many over my 51 years of trapping and even worked for Bud Stewart in Michigan back in the hey day (I skinned muskets after school) and yep, fur buyers are usually a different breed.
THANK GOD!
All the fluffy ones quit.
Only the cranky, glad we still have 'em, ones are left standing sir.

Hug 'em gently.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 01:55 AM

Need to get bankrolled by one of those chinese megabuyers. It would be alot easier buying coyote with someone else's money.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:24 AM

I was told today by a country fur buyer right now he was looking at paying around $15 for put up coyote's.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:27 AM

Mr. Mark,

I would never invest that heavily into a dying industry.

I am the change I wish to see. I send all my own furs out myself for tanning and sell them privately. Trapping is the only hobby I have that makes me money.
I don't need a buyer to tell me what I do is a hobby to justify prices that don't cover expenses while he makes money.
That's whats called a slap in the face. Especially when these guys aren't even promoting wild fur.

I respect your hustle, obviously any smart trapper that wants to make a buck will get into lure making or selling their own furs. Trapping will be dead soon enough and our tax money will be used to pay gov't sharpshooters to control the predator population.

So, for wild fur to survive we actually need fewer buyers and more creative trappers.

T
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by TB52J
Mr. Mark,

I am the change I wish to see. I send all my own furs out myself for tanning and sell them privately. Trapping is the only hobby I have that makes me money.
I don't need a buyer to tell me what I do is a hobby to justify prices that don't cover expenses while he makes money.
That's whats called a slap in the face. Especially when these guys aren't even promoting wild fur.

I respect your hustle, obviously any smart trapper that wants to make a buck will get into lure making or selling their own furs. Trapping will be dead soon enough and our tax money will be used to pay gov't sharpshooters to control the predator population.

So, for wild fur to survive we actually need fewer buyers and more creative trappers.

T

I will disagree somewhat...seems as though most fur, species specific, ends up at the same place(s) anyway. Don't we need more end users (demand)?

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 03:09 AM

Mr. Mark,

T

Make no mistake about it. The lack of a fur market is killing trapping faster than all the other factors combined.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 03:32 AM

If the price of oil keeps going up Russia might get in the game the tariffs and the virus not good for the fur market.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:07 AM

Yes, 100%. That's the point I'm trying to make. The guys that do make money off the trade don't do anything to promote. What they do is tell the trapper that he's involved in a cute little fun hobby that will never make money but at least they'll get something.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:08 AM

This should be stickied, pinned, and be required reading for everyone.

Every trappers convention should have a handling, and most important, grading demo.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:10 AM

Yes, you are correct. No market. What other industry makes money off of something but doesn't promote it. First off no one is buying fur, second wild fur gets less respect. The fur being promoted is farmed fur because it more "humane."

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:14 AM

Make no mistake about it. The lack of a fur market is killing trapping faster than all the other factors combined.

Thats what they said in 1750 too.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
If the price of oil keeps going up Russia might get in the game the tariffs and the virus not good for the fur market.

The price of fuel and living is going up faster than oil is, not just here around the world. A friend of mine in the Netherlands so a lot of people have stopped heating their houses, because they can not afford it anymore. We should be there soon. Lets Go Brandon.
How long has one guy pretty much controlled the entire wild fur market? I think longer than most think. I once heard there were three country buyers that had a coyote outlet other than the one everyone else was selling too. The guy that told me, was selling to a manufacture in Italy. All the Italian wanted was heavy paler silky coyotes. No clue where the other two were selling. There were plans to control all North American fur and some of the big buyers in the US were in the mix to try to make it happen. There is a lot of fur that traded hands several times before it left the country. The most of it was all funneling down the same hole.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:20 AM

If you're not making money , you're giving it away. Am I wrong?
Posted By: Kyle Krebs

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:31 AM

Make no mistake the fur market has been " dead" many times threw out history. It's part of the cycle. Those of you who haven't had good quality coyotes the past few years have no idea what the idea of 100 dollar coyote does. There are so many trappers night callers day callers snowmobilers. Ect chasing coyotes the last few years that no one can deny having a price is important to motivate people. I figure I'll have alot of the country to myself again soon if nobody buys carcass coyotes. There's always the die hards that keep going and hope so e of the new comers stick with it. The get rich quick crowd never makes any money in this industry because by the time they get any fur the market goes to crap.
I bought some traps off a fellow this fall who long lined many years ago. He still traps as much as he can but old age has caught up to him. He was so tickled that a young guy like me (I'm 35) still wants to trap it was like a kid at Christmas. He told me that I only had 20 years left to do what I loved cause after that you body will fail you. He put up some very large catches in his time and told me he never got rich on the good years never starved on the bad and wouldn't trade any of them years for anything! He lived his dream as long as he could and that's more than most people have done!
I was putting up fur tonight thinking bout how much money I have invested in this game in my life from equipment to instructions it's alot more than I want my wife to know about I'll tell you that. But if it wasn't for that equipment and knowledge I wouldn't have all these worthless coyotes to put up! I don't really have time right now to worry bout the fur price. Will see how the season plays out and if come March no market develops we will come up with a plan. Until then I'm gonna feed cows and trap coyotes and live the dream!
I recommend everyone else do the same cause you never know when your last season will be. Doesn't matter if that's 10 coyotes or 1000. In the end we won't remember the money.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:38 AM

Sadly.
Thankfully.

Pretty much why I haven't set a trap for a few years now... No one really local to sell to. And after NAFA folded it seems things have gotten worse.

The beaver are about to flood my corner of the state. I'll leave them be though. With Comrade Brandon running the show I figure they'll make dandy emergency food reserves.

Mike

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 12:40 PM

second wild fur gets less respect. The fur being promoted is farmed fur because it more "humane."

No, it gets promoted harder because it’s only about 25 times better than wild fur quality wise!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:42 PM

second wild fur gets less respect. The fur being promoted is farmed fur because it more "humane."

No, it gets promoted harder because it’s only about 25 times better than wild fur quality wise!

Let's not exaggerate.

The big difference is it is easy to sew together. It is like putting pieces of the same nap and color carpet together. It takes less skill to sew it together, so you can hire unskilled chinese to mass produce coats with it. I don't believe mink coats go completely out of fashion.

My product is used at times to trim mink coats. The trim greatly increases the cost of those coats compared to coats trimmed in ranch mink. The price of my product is generally slightly higher than ranch mink and of smaller size.

Ranch mink is solid product, but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:52 PM

In 1750 they did not have a mainstream media leading a society of woke snowflakes around by the nose. A society of mindless snowflakes too afraid of what others think of them based on the clothes they wear, among other fabricated fears.

Osky

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:54 PM

Let's not forget the fur market is world wide. PETA, woke etc may not apply!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 02:54 PM

Heres a coyote sale report:

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7417084/fur-sale-report

dollar cost averaging??
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Osky

In 1750 they did not have a mainstream media leading a society of woke snowflakes around by the nose. A society of mindless snowflakes too afraid of what others think of them based on the clothes they wear, among other fabricated fears.

Osky

X2

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 03:22 PM

"Renewed Covid fears have managed to do what Biden couldn't, sending oil prices crashing as a new wave of demand destruction looms." frown

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 04:20 PM

In 1995 I averaged about 10 bucks on local coyotes stretched. Gas was about a dollar a gallon. So I guess that if I got a 30 dollar average today it would be the same amount of money. I have friends I have trapped on for years. I will again this year. Because they are friends in good times or bad. Every one else has to pay.

I hope no one is planning on selling much. We dont need to make it worse.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/29/21 11:58 PM

Ditto on this

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 12:02 AM

Every coyote I catch goes in the back, not always the bank account.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 12:08 AM

No, it gets promoted harder because it’s only about 25 times better than wild fur quality wise![/quote]
Ditto on this[/quote]
Ranch fur is mass produced walmart junk compared to top quality wild fur.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 12:21 AM

Good job Danny.
Me too.
Jim

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:49 AM

"Renewed Covid fears have managed to do what Biden couldn't, sending oil prices crashing as a new wave of demand destruction looms." frown

Cheap gas and cheap fur is good for the "sportsmen"
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 02:50 AM

All of the coyotes I catch go into the ditch ! LoL!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 02:57 AM

Sometimes I throw them in a hole ! LoL!

Attached picture 25901649-8091-49B5-B749-4DB226FE4AFB.jpeg

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:11 AM

Nice ammo right there.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:33 AM

I always have a rock hard rule on my pit action - NO PHOTOS period.
There's no upside to it and great potential harm.
I don't need to see my pit in a state senate hearing meeting.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:40 AM

So back of the truck or cooler dead pics are OK but not pits?
Posted By: Mortz

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:44 AM

The pit photos show a total waste of the resource and disregard for the animal regardless of what we think of them.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mortz
The pit photos show a total waste of the resource and disregard for the animal regardless of what we think of them.

I think I am get paid to kill 500 or 600 coyotes year. But if you like I can replace Those pit pitures with some cooler pictures. From a client in South Alabama’s cooler. My point was Alabama coyotes aint never been worth anything

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:52 AM

Is this better? Edited the awful pit pic for a cooler pic. But dead is still dead

Attached picture 931991AE-0B97-4CC4-A968-68ABA6E2D9B0.jpeg
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 04:07 AM

I agree Steeltraps. Not much difference in where pic taken....when most know where they're gonna end up.

Keep killin' them fawn eaters.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

So back of the truck or cooler dead pics are OK but not pits?

Why show a pit publicly? At least a cooler suggests the carcasses are being kept for a reason. A pit says "goodbye" and you are of no use.
Steeltraps, you know folks like us won't send these pics around the world, but having been a state trapping association President.... these pics surface where you don't want them to = legislators with a person with deep pockets ranting and raving about trappers. Trust those of us who are giving you solid counsel.
I don't even let my ranchers take a pic of their pit.... it's in my contract with every one of them.
They take a pic of my work and Facebook it >>>> they will need to get another trapper.
I've never had a rancher or owner do it yet.
There's no upside for them either.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 06:03 AM

Mark. Why post any pictures at all?? Anti’s and people that dont like us will always try to turn things into something they are not. Just look at what they did in New Mexico. Someone can take a picture and make it into anything they want. BUT I get your point. Bobcats and coyotes in the back of UTV good = Old redneck from Alabama pit pitures bad ! LOL!! I do get it though. I dont like it. But I get it ! The fact that everyone has become so PC makes me angry sometimes I could tell people that I have the greatest respect for the coyote. And I wake up everyday and am great fully that i get to go to many different states and trap a worthy adversary But i quess the PC photo crowd and the anti’s dont care. Im im Central West Texas now. And I cant sleep. Because I cant wait to see what tomorrow brings in sheep country! After 34 years of trapping coyotes I still get excited about going to new places and catching them. Guess some folks and the Anti’s will never understand that. I was only making = lite of the poor coyote prices here. That was my only intention. I do hate it for those who Only do fur. No more pit pics from me. LoL! I will listen to good advice. Going to bed now. Got to get up at 5 am and see what coyotes are in snares or traps

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 06:45 AM

Actually pictures of dead animals going to waste should be an assett to trappers in our fight with the antis for the hearts and minds of the general public.
There is one reason it does not work out that way,-Antis are liars and they have a lot of money.They take a picture of dead wasted animals and plaster it all over the media and blame it on the "bad"hunters or "bad" trappers.We dont have any advocates in government or the money in our organizations to get the real story out there so the general public only hears the lies-only the one side.They never hear the truth from our side so they can make up their own minds based on the full story.
There is an interesting proof of this fact.
Quite a few years ago the antis got the spring bear hunt closed in Ontario.They used their unlimited millions of dollars to lobby government and petition the public with lies about orphaned cubs and decimated numbers(untrue) They were successful-for a while until the truth came out in a repulsive manner.

Bears after several years of curtailed hunting by sport hunters grew to numbers that became a huge unmanageable nuisance in all the towns and cities in Northern Ontario.Quietly,people were hired to get rid of nuisance bears that were repeat offenders.
One summer day a hiker came across a huge pile of festering bear carcasses in the bush not far from a city in northern Ontario.Pictures were taken,plastered all over the media,and the SHTF.The Govt had some explaining to do.Why were there piles of dead bears rotting in the bush outside of cities in Northern Ontario when no bears were supposed to be hunted anymore?

The govt laid it out for the public in no uncertain terms.They said -did you people really think that just because sport hunting was banned that the animals would not have to be killed/culled when they created problems from becoming overpopulated?
A useful valuable resource had been reduced to a rotting pile of garbage thanks to the efforts of the antis.

it wasnt too long after when the public realized the antis were liars with ulterior motives other than the well being of the resource,that they supported the re instatement of the Ontario spring bear hunt.

So you can see it is not the "picture " itself that is the problem but who uses it and how it is used.

Because we have few resources to get the true story out to the public when antis use pictures and lie about it,our best recourse is to not provide the antis with stuff that can be used against us.

The vast majority of the general public has no aversion to trapping and use of renewable natural resource as long as they are assured the animals taken are harvested humanely,are not endangered are managed under laws that protect the resource and are used for the maximum benefit.

If only we had the resources and support to teach the general public the truth.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 12:42 PM

Boco, very nicely laid out sir.

Agree that, "So you can see it is not the "picture " itself that is the problem but who uses it and how it is used."

Every ethical trapper wants to use as much of the resource as we can but sometimes it's just not feasible.

Steeltraps, I start trapping for a month over break December 13th so save me some dogs. I'll be south of you quite a ways it sounds like.
I had a ranch call Sunday asking me to trap for them after my graduation in May "until I die." crazy
About sums up the love salt-of-the-earth folks have for us trappers and our pits wink

Good post steeltraps. We're just trying to humbly suggest what may save trapping for years to come so our grandkids can trap in a world less and less rural oriented.
Grandpa grew up in a rural America where 85% lived on farms.
Today 87% live in cities.
The massive immigration of the 1870-1890's brought millions to the American cities and they took good root and here we are in 2021.
Wonder where the current immigrants are ending up?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 12:55 PM

Do I have a 10,000th view?
Yes, in the back!

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:03 PM

Actually pictures of dead animals going to waste should be an assett to trappers in our fight with the antis for the hearts and minds of the general public.
There is one reason it does not work out that way,-Antis are liars and they have a lot of money.They take a picture of dead wasted animals and plaster it all over the media and blame it on the "bad"hunters or "bad" trappers.We dont have any advocates in government or the money in our organizations to get the real story out there so the general public only hears the lies-only the one side.They never hear the truth from our side so they can make up their own minds based on the full story.
Quite a few years ago the antis got the spring bear hunt closed in Ontario.They used their unlimited millions of dollars to lobby government and petition the public with lies about orphaned cubs and decimated numbers(untrue) They were successful-for a while until the truth came out in a repulsive manner.

Bears after several years of curtailed hunting by sport hunters grew to numbers that became a huge unmanageable nuisance in all the towns and cities in Northern Ontario.Quietly,people were hired to get rid of nuisance bears that were repeat offenders.
One summer day a hiker came across a huge pile of festering bear carcasses in the bush not far from a city in northern Ontario.Pictures were taken,plastered all over the media,and the SHTF.The Govt had some explaining to do.Why were there piles of dead bears rotting in the bush outside of cities in Northern Ontario when no bears were supposed to be hunted anymore?

The govt laid it out for the public in no uncertain terms.They said -did you people really think that just because sport hunting was banned that the animals would not have to be killed/culled when they created problems from becoming overpopulated?
A useful valuable resource had been reduced to a rotting pile of garbage thanks to the efforts of the antis.

it wasnt too long after when the public realized the antis were liars with ulterior motives other than the well being of the resource,that they supported the re instatement of the Ontario spring bear hunt.

So you can see it is not the "picture " itself that is the problem but who uses it and how it is used.

Because we have few resources to get the true story out to the public when antis use pictures and lie about it,our best recourse is to not provide the antis with stuff that can be used against us.

The vast majority of the general public has no aversion to trapping and use of renewable natural resource as long as they are assured the animals taken are harvested humanely,are not endangered are managed under laws that protect the resource and are used for the maximum benefit.

You hit the nail on the head Boco. If the antys get there way it will all be tax paid Govment trapper pit pile pickchaws!! The waste system.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:15 PM

I don't think pics of dead coyotes anywhere is our problem. It's the bloody pawed ones that looks or looked like it suffered for a time. It's people not educating themselves on how to catch and hold a critter without the animal doing damage to itself trying to escape then snapping a pic and putting it on social media. Trappers with no common sense and social media is our biggest threat. Imo

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by rpmartin
I don't think pics of dead coyotes anywhere is our problem. It's the bloody pawed ones that looks or looked like it suffered for a time. It's people not educating themselves on how to catch and hold a critter without the animal doing damage to itself trying to escape then snapping a pic and putting it on social media. Trappers with no common sense and social media is our biggest threat. Imo

Two faced book dont help.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:51 PM

" SOCIAL MEDIA
Pics and video are fine….keep in your on circle of friends ….be mindful to keep pics rated PG and tasteful…those less than tasteful pics are not helpful from a PR perspective for our industry. However regardless of how careful you think you are… pics you share invariably find there way into the hands of individuals who would use them against us to further infringe on our rights….basically you are providing ammunition for your opponent."

Petska Fur handling manual.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:51 PM

the vast majority of people are born live and die in cities. They never grew their own food or hunted for it. The only out doors they experience are a drive through yellowstone, a local park and movies. They have been taught that humans are an invasive species. I dont think it matters what we do we are not going to bring those ignorant wretch's back to reality.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 01:59 PM

Yea, OK
I guess not much has changed in the last 260 years.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:56 PM

Good posts Mark and your thoughts on the matter align with our late (and great) assoc. president Bob Gilman who was instrumental in defeating at least two ballot measures that would have banned tapping in Oregon.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 03:57 PM

FYI Boco, Sport hunting may not equal bear population reductions . It can actually have the opposite effect.

"If hunting is used to prevent damage, hunters should be asked to take any legal bear – sows without cubs, bears larger than 50 lbs., and boars. Killing only “large” male bears will not effectively manage the local bear population."

From a former bear control agent.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 06:23 PM

The spring bear hunt was huge in NE ontario before the closure.Every town buisness and restaurants were packed with yankee licence plates.Michigan,Ohio,Pensylvania and New York were common.Many were repeat customers for years.Some even came up to help the outfitter with baits and clients and just fished but didnt hunt.One guy had 17 full body mounted bears in his trophy room,he didnt need any more.A buddy of mine worked for a local outfitter and when they got their bear he would bring clients up to my place at the canyon for a day to fish sturgeon.No money involved,just good customer relations,all part of the package.I'm sure my buddy Greg got good tips.It was real important income to small towns in the north.I did cash in by selling tanned wolves and lynx to many of the bearhunters to take back home.
it is starting to come back,and yes,there are still problem bears culled,but not nearly the amount that was done in the 10 years or so after the spring hunt ban.
What is much more important the resource is being used,and real money is being generated in the hinterland for local people in spin off buisnesses besides the outfitters.

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 06:27 PM

Good posts Mark and your thoughts on the matter align with our late (and great) assoc. president Bob Gilman who was instrumental in defeating at least two ballot measures that would have banned tapping in Oregon.

I've been in the same senate hearing with Ingrid and the PETA bubble head company artisans watching them cry on cue, casting stares, and offering no quarter be given as they aim to gut the heart strings of legislators. >>>>>> when all a sudden they start showing STUPID pictures gathered from here and there. It's brutal.
Meanwhile, out in Rio Linda....

Heck, I don't care at the end of the day, and neither will we if we selfishly do what we do, when we want to, where we choose and with whom we choose, right?
The kicker is we live in 2021 and the world is as the world is.
You can live in the 13% of rural America but we all answer to the 87% who make the laws in the urban centers.
Until that changes, as one in the industry at many levels; participant, biz owner, association member and board dealings.... there is 0% upside with showing pics on a public forum, which are best kept on the iPhone.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyote Prices - 11/30/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage

You hit the nail on the head Boco. If the antys get there way it will all be tax paid Govment trapper pit pile pickchaws!! The waste system.

If you want to hear anti lies that will pop your cork Google "Unhide Fur" and they'll tell you why Faux fur is better for the environment than real fur. Better yet click on their ads and cost them money. This is a campaign started by Ellen DeGeneros.

Re: Coyote Prices - 03/15/22 04:35 PM

A little look back at our forecasts
Posted By: Mac

Re: Coyote Prices - 03/15/22 05:12 PM

Wow! Beautiful fur. Red, you would not care for the NorthEast coyote.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums