Home

Trigger set on the first or second notch

Posted By: Black dogs

Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 10:38 AM

Was just sittin having coffee with grandpa talking about beaver trapping. He’s always set his conibear triggers on the second notch. Where I’ve always set mine on the first notch, trap jaws closest together. What do you guys do and why? Just curious
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 11:23 AM

Outside notch most times, less pressure to set off.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 11:27 AM

110s and 160s on least tension unless in swift water.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 12:34 PM

Coon 160s I set middle notch. For mink on 110s and 160s I set the first notch and lightest setting i can.
Jim
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 12:43 PM

Beaver trapping, usually the middle notch. Same for underwater muskrats unless it's a weak old trap, then inner notch. Or if it won't stay set like some that I just painted, then inner notch. Outer notch if possible for mink sets out of water.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
Beaver trapping, usually the middle notch. Same for underwater muskrats unless it's a weak old trap, then inner notch. Or if it won't stay set like some that I just painted, then inner notch. Outer notch if possible for mink sets out of water.

I painted some 330's this year for the first time, always was a boil and dye guy before. Was surprised how many misfires I had no matter what notch!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by PAskinner

I painted some 330's this year for the first time, always was a boil and dye guy before. Was surprised how many misfires I had no matter what notch!

Sand, or scrape the paint
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 01:56 PM

Second notch

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 01:59 PM

I guess I’ll start trying the second notch, littler setting see if I see a difference.
Posted By: merganser

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 02:20 PM

I always have set the first notch just because no one ever said the difference, I'll try 2nd as well.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 03:38 PM

On 220's in boxes for coon, with circle triggers I put on, I pull it in to the second notch for more tension. The first notch was to touchy and fire if box was wiggled.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/26/21 05:13 PM

I really don't think It makes much of a difference.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by walleye101

Sand, or scrape the paint

I know that now. Just didn't know it till I was standing in the middle of a creek with that 330 firing randomly!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 01:51 AM

I use the first notch until it wears out of round, then I start using the second notch until the end of the season when I can work the notched with a file.
I prefer the first notch on all of my traps so that I have a more consistent/solid trap placement with the size of beaver-made support sticks I tend to gravitate to out of habit. The second notch works better with thicker sticks which seem to be harder to find.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 01:52 AM

Trigger wire configuration is more important than which notch.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 02:29 AM

All my LDL's only have 1 notch-thats the notch I set.
All the othere-outside notch.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 02:34 AM

Mink and rats the outside notch, coniboxes for coon inner most notch, trails or coons middle notch, beaver inner notch
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 02:52 AM

Boco does it matter if the one you are using is good and not whorn out. I file mine with a 7 32 chainsaw file to fix the worn edge so it fire's good. I think that is all you need?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 04:40 AM

If the trap wont stay set because of wear on the dog a chainsaw file like you said fixes the problem in most cases. You may have to file on the flat a bit too.
If you have a dog with 2 or 3 notches and one is worn you can use another notch until you can file the worn notch.

When I first set my waxed ldl's for marten I always carry a piece of a chainsaw file in my pocket.Some wont stay set because of a little excess wax in the dog notch,a couple swipes with the piece of chainsaw file fixes that right up,and they still fire good because there is still wax on the jaw.

Re: Trigger set on the first or second notch - 11/27/21 11:50 AM

I like bocos answer the best. Probably really doesn’t matter.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums