Home

Good article on trapping

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Good article on trapping - 11/28/21 11:44 PM

In outdoor life by P.J. Delhomme.

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/28/21 11:57 PM

It came up on Google so you don't need the magazine to read it.
Posted By: TB52J

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:06 AM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/deep-dives/is-trapping-obsolete-or-becoming-more-popular/

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:09 AM

Thank you TB
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:14 AM

As a lure maker who derives his $$$$$$ from this vocation.... I'm partial to LOTS and LOTS of trappers and trapping.

Yep.... biased as can be.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:35 AM

All those license trappers producing record low harvests. Must not be trapping too hard?

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:37 AM

Interesting article. I hardly believe trapping is seeing a revival based on one state's data. As the article states many states are outlawing trapping on public lands. Fur buyers, lure makers, and state trapping organizations do nothing to promote wild fur or fur trapping, its a joke. The best takeaway from the article is: find an alternative outlet for your fur. As in, send it out for tanning yourself and sell it locally.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:39 AM

Easy TB.... this lure maker (and others) do more than you may know to promote trapping. To paint with a broad brush is not accurate.

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 12:40 AM

Like what?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:05 AM

I'm predicting a short lifespan.

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

With trapping, in general?
I'd tend to agree.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:10 AM

I won’t bet against your prediction .
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:10 AM

I think you are correct.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:16 AM

Trapping as we knew it Is gone and I don't think It will ever come back.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 01:54 AM

I'll agree. it wont be as it use to be.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:14 AM

There will likely be people that continue--regardless of fur prices. I am one of those but I have different goals than others.

However, how many trapping suppliers, lure makers, etc. will continue as viable businesses? I wonder who will sell lure in 30 years?

As I was building up my inventory of traps and tools, I considered unavailability in the future.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:30 AM

Good article and not sure why all the ads never had that many ads and my computer just sent a warning about the download having a virus. Might be careful and scrub your putor.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by TB52J
Fur buyers, lure makers, and state trapping organizations do nothing to promote wild fur or fur trapping, its a joke.

There are trapping associations that have classes for young and old trappers. These are made up of a lot of folks where this is their first experience with trapping. Alabama is one that comes to mind, Wisconsin is another one, New York is another one and North Carolina is another one. I've donated hundreds of bottles of lure, traps and many books to these efforts. I do believe this does promote fur trapping.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:40 AM

Dealers I have talked to have had really good supply sales in the last couple years.

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by TB52J
Fur buyers, lure makers, and state trapping organizations do nothing to promote wild fur or fur trapping, its a joke.

Also, North Carolina Trappers Association sets up a booth at the Dixie Deer Classic every year to promote trapping.

I have to ask, what do you do to promote it?

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:53 AM

Yes sir Mr. Dobbins,

You are correct. There are plenty of groups that promote the hobby of trapping. This is very important for bringing new trappers into the field. Anyone with a vested interest in trapping should be involved with this. My concern is with the commercial availability of wild fur. From a commercial view point I don't see any promotion of the actual "wild fur' product.

Fur in general is losing a lot of respect and even worse farmed fur is viewed as more humane than wild fur!

Crazy times!

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 03:57 AM

Yeah , I mean promoting wild fur to the public. Not promoting trapping to trappers.

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 04:03 AM

I promote the fact that wild fur is a renewable natural resource. I have my furs tanned locally and I sell the product to the locally community.
What I don't do is give my fur away for nothing so it can be sold to China at a substantial discount.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 04:13 AM

I have no incentive to encourage people to trap, unless I am going to sell stuff to trappers. I am just creating low price accepting competitors, if I con people into trapping at these prices. There was a reason" old school" was " old school".

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 04:18 AM

They do promote fur trapping. Again, what do you do to promote it, or do you feel it's other folks responsibility to do it?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Good article on trapping - 11/29/21 11:13 AM

tb I believe that it would benefit you, to join the NTA and get active and you will find out what is going on to promote wild fur market and trapping over all , we the U P trapper's promote trapping year, our membership in recent years is climbing up, smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums