Home

Yes or No

Posted By: warrior

Yes or No - 11/30/21 12:06 AM

Giblet gravy?

Big H yes for me even if I'm the only one in this house.

Had the second round of bird yesterday with my Georgia younguns after the first round earlier in the week with inlaws in Kentucky.

Now for the traditional leftover of cornbread dressing and giblet gravy.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 12:50 AM

Giblets do not touch our turkey gravy. Cooked a 20 pounder for the wife and I. We also did 15 pounds of mashed potatoes and several quarts of gravy.
we had this from thanksgivi9ng through last night. we have enough of the essentials in the freezer for several more meals. The dark meat mis used for wild rice turkey soup and after all this--no giblet touches us.
Everyones tastes are different.
Tom
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:00 AM

Giblet gravy is pretty good, but the cornbread dressing you mention is even better.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:03 AM

What color is the gravy?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:04 AM

Not a fan of gravy
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:07 AM

Nope. Wife likes the heart, and I'd fight ya for the liver and gizzard. grin

Not big on turkey, other than the two morsels mentioned above and a little dark meat once a year. I don't consider the white meat as being remotely edible. eek

Charlie
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:11 AM

Nope ......I have a dog to feed
Posted By: Savell

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:13 AM

Yes
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
Not a fan of gravy

X2
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:18 AM

Liver is gross. It looks ok but tastes terrible, all livers not just turkey.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:23 AM

No
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:27 AM

Yes.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:27 AM

Yes
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:38 AM

Absolutely YES! Giblet gravy on cornbread dressing or seasoned dressing is good stuff! Used the last of my leftover gravy at lunch today.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:44 AM

Not for me, but Pete likes it. I make my regular gravy then pour it over the giblets for him lol.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Liver is gross. It looks ok but tastes terrible, all livers not just turkey.

This.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:48 AM

I'ma say NO! I try not to eat the stuff that filters out the poisons the body does not want to digest. But, to each his/her own, I reckon.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 01:55 AM

yep. Chicken livers being my favorite.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:06 AM

Yes and deer heart gravy also
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:11 AM

The giblets,,heart and liver get boiled up with celery and onions,,that all goes in my stuffing.I like the hearts so much,,I just bought a 40 pound case of chicken hearts from my local meat locker.LOVE EM. grin
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I'ma say NO! I try not to eat the stuff that filters out the poisons the body does not want to digest. But, to each his/her own, I reckon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Smaaht Man ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: SJA

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by trapperkeck

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Smaaht Man ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya'll don't eat oysters and clams either then?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:29 AM

Yes..I eat raw oysters …and Steamahs !
Posted By: SJA

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Yes..I eat raw oysters …and Steamahs !

They filter toxins and pollutants out of the water.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:41 AM

Yeah Buddy!
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 02:44 AM

Never had an oyster in my life. Though I do love clam chowder.
Tom
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:21 AM

We went to the inlaws this time around. They are ham people. No turkey and dressing with gravy for me this year. frown
Posted By: waggler

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
Not a fan of gravy

Agree
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:26 AM

Being the southern redneck living on the Carolina coast.
I love me some oyster dressing with my turkey

Unfortunately its something I have not had in a long long time
Posted By: 653

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:46 AM

giblet gravy is just anouther form of the gut pile!! wish turkeys had about 12 necks, that still wouldnt be enough!! white meat is just useless fil
Posted By: 653

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:47 AM

giblet gravy is just anouther form of the gut pile!! wish turkeys had about 12 necks, that still wouldnt be enough!! white meat is just useless fil
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:59 AM

Giblet gravy sounds good, but I've never had it. I greatly prefer dark meat on turkeys and chickens.

Keith
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 12:06 PM

Giblet gravy no. Me and my brothers wife boil the giblets and and eat them up. Gravy is make from the whole turkey drippings. I also prefer the dark meat.
Never had oyster dressing but sounds good to me
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 12:21 PM

Giblets get boiled then go in the stuffing here, along with sage pork sausage.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
Giblets get boiled then go in the stuffing here, along with sage pork sausage.

^^ That's how its done.

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 04:54 PM

Oyster dressing has been good when I've had it.

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Giblet gravy sounds good, but I've never had it. I greatly prefer dark meat on turkeys and chickens.

Keith

My recipe. Make a stock by boiling giblets with onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf. Garlic and rosemary optional. Strain stock and chop giblets fine and bone out the neck once cool. If needed reduce down stock to concentrate flavor. Season with sage, pepper and salt. Add chopped boiled egg. Then thicken with a corn starch slurry before adding the meats.

The boiled egg is optional. Mama put the eggs in her gravy, Granny put the eggs in her dressing.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Giblets do not touch our turkey gravy. Cooked a 20 pounder for the wife and I. We also did 15 pounds of mashed potatoes and several quarts of gravy.
we had this from thanksgivi9ng through last night. we have enough of the essentials in the freezer for several more meals. The dark meat mis used for wild rice turkey soup and after all this--no giblet touches us.
Everyones tastes are different.
Tom

I agree with you on the giblets part and everyone's tastes are different.
I prefer the white meat, but the dark is OK for soup, wild rice turkey or turkey dumpling. This year we got some of both.
Posted By: run

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 05:06 PM

I like gravy.

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
The giblets,,heart and liver get boiled up with celery and onions,,that all goes in my stuffing.I like the hearts so much,,I just bought a 40 pound case of chicken hearts from my local meat locker.LOVE EM. grin

Chicken hearts is the best part of the chicken. Coming up we wasted nothing on a yard bird. I'd call dibs on liver, my middle brother the gizzard and the youngest brother was SOL as we all fought for the heart.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by upstateNY

Chicken hearts is the best part of the chicken. Coming up we wasted nothing on a yard bird. I'd call dibs on liver, my middle brother the gizzard and the youngest brother was SOL as we all fought for the heart.

Must be a southern thing. Yuck!
Posted By: Actor

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

Reading about your calling dibs on the innards of the chickens while growing up... I didn't really care that much for those things, but I called dibs on the chicken feet, of course no one else really wanted them so my mother, grandmother and aunts would always cook them for me. Not really much there except the grisly feet... but I sure enjoyed them.

Garry-
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Yes or No - 11/30/21 10:27 PM

When mom cut up a chicken she would flour up and fry everything. Her Gizzards, livers and hearts were awesome. She even fried up the backs and necks. I always went for these as I was # 8 of nine kids and older siblings would grab up the wings. legs, thighs and breasts. Mom and Dad were from Harlan County Kentucky and she could cook like it was nobody's business.
Posted By: run

Re: Yes or No - 12/01/21 12:03 AM

Please stop making me hungry, Warrior.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Yes or No - 12/01/21 12:21 AM

Finishing off the last of the bbq’d turkey and giblet gravy right about now lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Yes or No - 12/01/21 12:22 AM

Giblets Yes!!!

Re: Yes or No - 12/01/21 01:32 AM

Turkey sammiches with mayo, honey dijon, pickles and a slice of swiss for lunch. Pecan pie for dessert.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Yes or No - 12/01/21 09:40 PM

YES! Either in the gravy or dressing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums