Home

Those of us who are fortunate...

Posted By: slydogx

Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 06:21 PM

I recently visited a friend that I had not seen for a long time who reached out in need of a small assist. I'm struggling a bit with how to convey this, so I'll get to the point and hopefully it comes across as intended...

If you find yourself in a position to help someone with a couple dollars or a better meal than they're used to, or even a listening ear, please just do it. It occurred to me how fortunate I was to even be in a position to help given my situation just a few years ago. There were a few meager, simple gestures of kindness (including a single cup of hot coffee) that stick with me to this day.

I may go to my grave regretting that I never managed a horseback elk hunt or a trip to Africa but I'm not sure how that would compare to the realization that, when I had the opportunity to genuinely help a friend or stranger via a minor inconvenience that I had chosen not to.

I am probably preaching to the choir given the caliber of folks I have spoken with on this site, but it hit me like a hammer today how seemingly insignificant things can be enormous and life changing to others. Be kind always, be generous when you can. Especially at this time of year.

To be clear, the little favor I did was so insignificant that it does not deserve a "good job" or any sort of back patting... but it occurred to me that the negative ramifications of ignoring this request could have been massively disproportionate to the cost to myself.

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 06:26 PM

I appreciate you sharing this thought
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 07:07 PM

"If you put a quarter in your hand and squeeze it very tight you will never lose that quarter, but by not opening your hand you will never get another quarter either."
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew 25:44-45
'LORD, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45"He will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
Posted By: jk

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 08:34 PM

You just combined the meaning of Christmas and thanks giving together into one......jk
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 08:36 PM

Nice !!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 08:57 PM

You're a good man Slydog.

Many many people today are only concerned about what they can amass for themselves and to he-- with everyone else.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 08:58 PM

Great advice. Sometimes little things can be life changing to the recipient.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 09:08 PM

A kind word is sometimes a gift beyond measure. Thanks for reminding us that being kind enhances all slydogx
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 10:37 PM

We keep all our spare cash in envelopes at the house…emergency money if you will. Well we (wife and I) had heard of someone in need. We were sitting around one evening and she said out of the blue I think we need to help so and so. I told her I was thinking of the exact same thing. She said how much, I said an envelope. She looked at me sorta funny and said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So we went and got an envelope, jumped in the truck and went and knocked on the door and handed them an envelope and told them Happy Thanksmas!
Posted By: run

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/02/21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
We keep all our spare cash in envelopes at the house…emergency money if you will. Well we (wife and I) had heard of someone in need. We were sitting around one evening and she said out of the blue I think we need to help so and so. I told her I was thinking of the exact same thing. She said how much, I said an envelope. She looked at me sorta funny and said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So we went and got an envelope, jumped in the truck and went and knocked on the door and handed them an envelope and told them Happy Thanksmas!

Nice story.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 12:22 AM

A fella sleeps well going to bed "knowing " he helped wink
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 12:28 AM

One act of kindness can change the world for those in need. Thanks for the reminder as to give is always a blessing.

Chris
Posted By: danvee

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 02:48 AM

Money is not everything and for sure is like manure, you need to spread it around to make things grow. The happiest years of my life I had very little, best job I ever had which did not pay well but I enjoyed. I had a broke down old truck that I could fix if need be. A good dog for company and very few worries. Even then I gave to help others whether it was money or a helping hand. Always made me feel good helping out and when I couldn't sleep I counted blessing, not sheep.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 10:58 AM

a good read , a good group of people on this site ,
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 12:36 PM

Nice story. I’m no Saint but I look for opportunities to help people. No better feeling in the world!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Those of us who are fortunate... - 12/03/21 01:19 PM

Good post Slydogx,

I just presented on this theme of showing hospitality to strangers.

the flesh (Rom 8:7; Gal 5:17),
the world (Jn 1:10-11; Jas 4:4),
& Satan (Eph 2:2)
ALL conspire to oppose giving hospitality to persons made by God in His image.

Welcoming the stranger - ger… is the most often repeated commandment in the Hebrew Scriptures, with the exception of the imperative to worship only the one God, continuing into the New Testament with prescriptive passages about being hospitable to a stranger – philoxenia, in brotherly love (Rom 12:10); as some may be angels (Heb 13:1), or Christ Himself (Matt 25:35,40).

You can't pull it off under your own strength, with all that is set against you, so many of the comments on this post indicate the Spirit being in action in people's hearts.
And we smile at these stories.
May He lead us all often during this blessed Advent season.

Blessings,
Mark
© 2024 Trapperman Forums