Home

Mount it or not

Posted By: jbyrd63

Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:41 AM

Should I have the bobcat I killed mounted or not .it was the first animal I harvested of any kind on my new farm. I skinned it and left the feet on .Hadn't planned on it but its the first one ive killed on my farm and first ever hunting deer.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:44 AM

It would be Nice!
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:45 AM

I would say just tan it and make it a wall hanger. You can do that yourself to make it mean even more and it's much cheaper.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:46 AM

Sounds like you want it mounted and it's worth very little on the raw fur market. Why not?
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:46 AM

Tanned isn’t a terrible idea if you decide against mounting.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:54 AM

From what I've seen most people are disappointed in their bobcat mounts. There are few taxidermist that can do a cat justice.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:55 AM

Depends on the location of that centerfire exit wound. Taxidermist can do only so much.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:55 AM

If you have it mounted, make sure the taxidermist is good doing cats as many are not.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
From what I've seen most people are disappointed in their bobcat mounts. There are few taxidermist that can do a cat justice.

^^^^THIS!!!!

if you're going to have it done, be VERRRRRYYY selective on who you have do it.

IMO, there are about THREE taxidermists in the country who can do a bobcat justice....

Choose wisely!
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 01:54 AM

If not skinned correctly it will be hard to make look good.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 02:18 AM

One of the members here all but gave me a Trapper Nelson pack and I'm going to bundle a bunch of tanned hides to it. Bobcat, beaver, fisher, mink, etc.. I think that will make a great addition to the man cave. I had a cat mounted and the guy did an absolutely amazing job on it. I debated going with a rug but went lifesize. Tanned would look great hanging on the wall. Choices, choices.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 02:34 AM

I know a guy who does a great job but work like this ain't cheap!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
If you have it mounted, make sure the taxidermist is good doing cats as many are not.

So True
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 02:46 AM

Aint a very good looking cat?
Your $$, your choice.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 03:16 AM

Mount That Cat!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 03:26 AM

The next nice cat I find is gonna be a rug.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 04:26 AM

It’s a tough decision to make. I got my first one mounted only because I knew the taxidermist very well and it only cost $200. Had it cost much more or if I wasn’t confident that it would turn out good, I would have gotten it tanned.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Depends on the location of that centerfire exit wound. Taxidermist can do only so much.

[Linked Image]
Went in its left eye and the exit is at the end of the tail on the red circle. It was sneaking out a log coming straight on Hole about the size of a 30 caliber bullet The 270 opened slightly. Only mark on it
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout

Agree. dont want regrets.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 05:33 AM

Do it if you want.
Just make sure you see dozens of their cats (mounts or rugs) first.
Posted By: Bowhunter862c

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 08:18 AM

Agree with what's said above. I got one mounted last year cost me 700+ an it's one eye is way off center, not very happy with it. The guy has done 3 deer for me an they are absolutely beautiful but cats aren't his specialty.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 09:46 AM

yes mount it
Posted By: Kong

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 12:34 PM

White Marlin, who are the Three taxidermist in the country that are the best with cats? We are thinking of having one mounted also.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 03:20 PM

Tan it. The likelyhood of an ugly cat mount is about 99.9%.
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 05:00 PM

Can never have too many critters on the wall. If it’s special to you and you’re ok dropping the cash do your homework and find a taxidermist that has some great examples of his cat mounts.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 05:06 PM

I always mount the first any where, but thats me.

Cats are tough to mount , however a competent taxi person can do them easily, but see their work in person and not pic's if able to.

That's a hogwash statement about taxi-people not being able to hide problems on fur, it really is a mount decision mostly !

Seen some mighty disasters become blue ribbon winners in shows by people who some think are not capable of doing so

Most taxidermists do have better mounts on animals they do the most of, however that does not mean they cannot do better on those they don't do a lot of !!
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 05:43 PM

700$ ahhhh heck no.

Skin it and tan it.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Mount it or not - 12/03/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

[Linked Image]

Must be the same guy who mounted my first deer. Similar quality. I've posted these cat pics before and most everyone seemed to think it's quality work. It did get some criticism for the 'rock' it's mounted on. That's fair but easily remedied if I ever decided to do so. I'm not 100% certain but I think the cat mounted on the limb is a hide I donated to a non-trapping buddy who wanted a cat mount done for his cave. Same taxidermist. Pasty cats over this way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 02:45 AM

I would have it mounted.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
If not skinned correctly it will be hard to make look good.

A lot of taxidermist won’t touch it if it’s already skinned if it’s getting mounted

Since it’s already skinned I would have it tanned
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 04:36 AM

I do'nt do work for people any more just mount and sell.. These pics are some cats I got from trappers on here. (Thank You)

[Linked Image]

But if your bobcat has a bad hole on one side you can put that side to the wall or do it on it's side
Your cat looks great nice size too, you only get one 1st. get someone to mount it

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: waggler

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 05:03 AM

I wouldn't mount it if you are just going to leave it in the garage along with those whitetail mounts of yours.
Why aren't those in the house?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 05:24 AM

Just wear a condom
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Mount it or not - 12/04/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

[Linked Image]

Must be the same guy who mounted my first deer. Similar quality. I've posted these cat pics before and most everyone seemed to think it's quality work. It did get some criticism for the 'rock' it's mounted on. That's fair but easily remedied if I ever decided to do so. I'm not 100% certain but I think the cat mounted on the limb is a hide I donated to a non-trapping buddy who wanted a cat mount done for his cave. Same taxidermist. Pasty cats over this way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I made the rock comment. It was an attempt at humor. The cat looks so realistic and alive that anything around it would look fake.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums