Home

Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest!

Posted By: JoeGoodman

Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/03/21 08:44 PM

I would like to announce the start of my 8TH Annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing Contest!

THE PRIZES:

FIRST PLACE $100 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
SECOND PLACE: $75 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
THIRD PLACE: $50 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!

TO ENTER:

You must be LESS than 18 years of age and a Trapperman member or family member only. You must have your parent's permission to enter, as the winners will be asked to pm me their addresses in order for us to ship the prize packages to you. You must submit your entry no later than 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE, DECEMBER 24TH. NO EXCEPTIONS PLEASE! To submit your entry, you must post a scan or good quality photo of your finished drawing or painting, as well as TYPE IN your writing or story RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, AGE AND STATE YOU RESIDE WITH YOUR ENTRY. Ask for help from your folks, or other members here if you have difficulty posting. This is so all Trapperman members may see and read it. Previous winners may enter again! Let's see how you've improved over the years!

THE RULES:

This year's theme is: "A MOUNTAIN MAN (OR MOUNTAIN WOMAN) CHRISTMAS!!!" -

FIRST, write a story that describes, "A MOUNTAIN MAN (OR MOUNTAIN WOMAN) CHRISTMAS!!!" and whatever that means to you. It could be a true story, or a fictional story you've created in your mind. I'd like this story to be a few paragraphs minimum, if possible. I know this may be difficult for the very young contestants and we will consider this when we judge the entries at the end. Include many details to make your story interesting, who, what, where, when, why, how!?

SECOND, You must draw or paint a picture that goes with this story and illustrates it in the best possible way. It may be FULL COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE. It may be done in PENCIL, INKS, WATERCOLORS, ACRYLICS, OILS, CHALKS, CRAYONS, MARKERS, or the KITCHEN SINK!!! Put as much effort as you can into it! I want to see what talented young folks we have here on Trapperman! Then have someone take a nice brightly lit photo or scan of it and post it here with your story!!

ONCE AGAIN, THE CONTEST ENDS AT 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE !! NO EXCEPTIONS. YOU FOLKS ON CENTRAL, MOUNTAIN, AND PACIFIC TIME PLEASE MAKE NOTE!

WE WILL ANNOUNCE THEM HERE ON CHRISTMAS MORNING, SOME TIME AFTER MRS. CLAUS HAS HAD HER COFFEE…..

PM ME IF YOU OR YOUR FOLKS HAVE QUESTIONS.

WELL KIDS, I SUGGEST YOU GET BUSY!!!
AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE TRAPPERMAN FAMILY!!!

From The Goodman's
Joe, Julie, and Carly
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/03/21 08:58 PM

Thanks Joe.
Posted By: DontTread-Okie

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/05/21 06:59 PM

Sir this is awesome. I absolutely love this. Our kids are in a homeschool co-op w a bunch of other kids can I share this with the group?

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/05/21 11:01 PM

"You must be LESS than 18 years of age and a Trapperman member or family member only."

Sorry, this is for Trapperman members and their families. If they want to join the forum, then yes!

Joe Goodman

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/12/21 04:47 PM

Most kids have just one week left in school, so I'm hoping that many will have the time to do some really terrific drawings and stories for this year's contest! I posted this on my Facebook page and have gotten a lot of "likes". If anyone has questions please PM me here. One thing we always run into: Each contestant MUST ENTER THEIR NAME AND AGE with their story and drawing, so we know how old they are and can take that into consideration during the judging! And each WINNER must pm me permission from one of their parents for me to send these kids their prizes. So, yes, I will need a name and address as to where to send. I wish "GOOD LUCK" to all the entries!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/16/21 09:51 PM

[Linked Image]

“Wake up! Wake up!” My little sister, Avery hollered while shaking me out from underneath my nice, comfy, wool blanket that I had gotten for my birthday. “Mama and papa said we could go to pick our Christmas Tree today!” Along with the excitement in her voice, and the message she shouted, I was up and out of bed in no time.

The smell of bacon had filled our tiny little cabin, as well as the sound of little chirps that came from the newest edition of our family. It was a little racoon that papa named Chucksie. Avery and he found it abandoned from its mama and decided to bring him home. We all fell in love instantly, and welcomed Chucksie home.

“Food is ready.” Papa bellowed which was followed by mama’s, “I SMELL BACON!!”

After we sat down in our ‘assigned’ chairs and munched up all of the delicious and warm breakfast given to us, we started getting ready to go pick our tree.

Avery and I were helped into our wooden sleigh by papa and mama and we snuggled close. The coldness felt as though there were those little needles in your toes after your foot falls asleep. We were in the backmost seat and each had a little blanket to keep warm as well as fur hats, coats, and new Buckskin mittens that papa gave us that morning. Chucksie was squished between us and had his own little fur hat.

Mama and papa were seated in the front and Mama was also all bundled up like us kids were. Papa on the other hand, basically never leaves the cold and he was just wearing a buckskin jacket. He had one hand on the horse's reins and the other on mama's mitten.

“Are we there yet?” Avery and I hollered in unison. We were surrounded by trees but mama saw the perfect tree previously while out looking for firewood and remembered where it was. She really wanted that tree. Mama really cared about how the tree looked, so we trusted her visions.

After a little while, Avery fell asleep on my shoulder and I just waited until we had reached mama’s perfect tree.

Eventually Papa had stopped the sleigh and we were all allowed to get out and go see the tree. It was giant when I looked at it, but when papa stood by it, It seemed to be shorter. It had long, emerald needles, and was so thick. Chucksie climbed to the top and we knew that this was the tree for us.

Mama gave papa the saw and he started cutting at the tree. As mama supervised, Avery and I wandered a little. It was our job to find decorations. We scavenged for pine cones, and acorns, or even rare winter berries. We carried all we could and headed back to the sleigh. Mama was snuggled with Chucksie and Papa was securing the tree to the Sleigh.

We all loaded up into the ride and the horses started pulling us through the snow. There was a light breeze, but the sun was out. There were perfect little snowflakes falling on our noses and Avery and I slept all the way home.

We arrived back at our cozy little cabin, and papa instantly started to set up the tree. Mama woke us up and told us to prepare our decorations. This meant to tie little strings on top so we could hang them on the branches of our tree.

After some time and lots of decorating, the tree was ready for an Angel. By tradition, we used the angel that mama handmade out of sticks, Buckskin, rocks, and other materials. It was the best angel ever.

As I laid down to sleep that night, I was thankful. I knew not many people lived like my family did, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. I love Christmas. I love living in the mountains. I love adventures. And most importantly, I love my family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan Hendershott
Age 15
Michigan

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/16/21 10:15 PM

Well, well!! We have our first entry in this year's Kids Contest, and it is an OUTSTANDING ONE!! Way to go, Jordan!! And welcome to the contest!! The other kids better be stepping up their game, 'cause this is a terrific entry, nicely done!!

****And a note to ALL contestants !!! ...PLEASE TYPE (OR HAVE YOUR PARENT TYPE) your story in like Jordan has done here! (See above) Please no cell phone pics of hand written pages! We want all entries to be able to be READ and enjoyed by the members here.

Good Luck, Kids!!!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/22/21 05:51 PM

We only have TWO DAYS REMAINING in the Kid's contest!! I hope you kids are busy working on your drawings and stories!!! We only have ONE entry so far...are you guys going to let Jordan run away with it?!! LET'S GET GOING!!!!

If you have questions please PM me!!

Good Luck!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/22/21 10:32 PM

Jordan,
I really like your story and drawing. Thanks for doing it for everyone to enjoy!
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/23/21 01:53 AM

Mr. Goodman I have a couple daughters finishing up entry's. Great contest good man!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/23/21 04:18 PM

Excellent! Can't wait to see them!
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 01:14 AM

Pens are going over here too!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 05:37 PM

OK!!! There is only 8 1/2 hours remaining in our Kids Contest!! I hope that many of you are finalizing your stories and drawings! And remember, PLEASE COPY & PASTE, OR TYPE your story in this thread so we may all be able to read and enjoy them! Please NO PICTURES OF HAND WRITTEN STORIES! These are just too hard to read, and will not be accepted. This thread has over 900 page views, so I hope that means we will have a LOT of kids entering soon.

Good Luck!!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 05:41 PM

Evan Duliba Age 9 New York

Hi my name is Jim. I’m the mountain man and I love trapping. But my 100 Year old Grandad calls it (frapping).I started trapping when I was 5. The first 3 times I didn’t like it because it was cold and we didn’t catch anything. Then I loved it once I started catching animals. I trap for raccoon, coyote and mink. A few years ago, when I was trapping with Grandad I caught a Christmas raccoon. She was long like a coyote, had a tail like a raccoon, but it was red and green ringed. She could also swim like a mink. I caught her on a dog proof trap, filled with Christmas cookies left over from our baking the day before. Then word got out and I became known as the mountain man. I had cash money offers coming in from all over the country side, but I knew she was worth far more than any amount of money. I decided to release her, so she could have more cubs.
A year passed, and it was Christmas Eve. Grandad was out for a walk before dinner. He had said he’d be back before 5 o’clock. It was now past 5:30. I was very worried. I bundled up and went to look for him. It was a full on blizzard. A tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about Grandad out there, cold and lost. I had taken only five steps away from the house, when I heard a screech. I could not see anything.
“What’s that!??” I said to myself. It’s Grandad and the Christmas raccoon, heading towards me. It is a Christmas Eve miracle. That’s just it! I will name her Eve! We went back to the cabin, and gave Eve some Christmas cookies and hot chocolate. That was the best Christmas ever. Eve you’re a hero to me and Grandad. 30 days later Eve had 3 cubs,1 boys and 2 girls. We named the boy Christ, And the girls Mary and Carol.

Attached picture 42D57EE7-18A4-4BCB-A99B-CA0C079B87FC.jpeg

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 05:58 PM

Matthew Duliba Age 6 New York

The mountain man’s story: I love trapping I’ve been trapping since I was six years old. My brother Ryan and Robert love it. I’m bad at it because I am loud. The End My story is short because I am still six.

Attached picture 0C6CFAB2-62F5-47C3-A50A-F39D9976B025.jpeg
Posted By: WisTrapper

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 06:55 PM

[Linked Image]
MY name is Emma, I'm 14 years old, and I live in home that resembles a beaver lodge. I was 10 when my mom and dad died from a grizzly attack. After that, I was stuck with my cruel nanna, and I knew I had to run for it. When I was younger, I used to go trapping with my dad at his cabin in the woods, a few miles from where I live now. Last week I shot a mountain goat, which I skun out, tanned the hide, and made a hat, because it was a smaller one. The snow is starting to fall, which should mean that it is the middle of December, and it is time to go to my dad's trapping cabin.It gets a little colder each day and the journey took 8 days to finally find the cabin. I got to the cabin and stayed for the night, because it was a long trip, and was too tired, so I gathered up all the traps from the morning, and went to sleep.
The next morning, I was going back but all my mind was on, was my mom and dad and I couldn't stop thinking of them the whole way back. When I got back home, I fixed up the traps. It was night by the time I was done, so I went to bed, with a dream. The dream was mom, dad, and me. We were all cuddling and smiling! Suddenly I wake up to bell's ringing. I go outside And see a twinkle in the sky. I think for a moment and then look over, and I see boxes wrapped in paper, beautiful paper, under nearby tree. I go over by them and open one of them, and find a picture of mom, dad, and me. It was taken when I was 5, when we were going to find a Christmas tree.
I loved all the presents I got, which were a pocket knife, some rope, and the picture. But the picture was my favorite out of all of them.

This Christmas today today, I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas, but can't in person, but it would be the same in person, or a letter! There's still Christmas Joy.

Merry Christmas!

Emma Pingel,
age 10
Wisconsin
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 08:03 PM

WisTrapper... better keep an eye out for grizzlies! lol This is the year!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 08:19 PM

A L L L RIGHT!! I'd like to officially welcome Evan, Matthew, & Emma to my KIDS CONTEST!! VERY nice entries kids! Thank you for your hard work! Looks like this contest is really starting to heat up. You other kids better be putting on your finishing touches...there's less than 6 HOURS LEFT !!!

TICK, TOCK, TICK ,TOCK!!!!

Joe Goodman

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 09:11 PM

https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2021/12/full-1788-119601-graceboomm_page_001.jpg

My name is Emily I'm 8 and live in the mountains with my two brothers and parents. Christmas is normally boring but this year it was not so boring.

When I woke on Christmas morning Santa had come. The stockings were full. My brothers Bill and Phil went to check the traps with my father. When they came home they brought a trapped bob cat. Soon it was dinner time. We had a feast then we opened our stockings. I got a rag doll and a comb. My brothers got new hats and we all got candy. Mother got white sugar and father got some new traps.

That is the story of my best Christmas!

THE END

Attached picture graceboomm-page-001.jpg

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 09:43 PM

[Linked Image]

Lila Woodall
Age 13
Michigan

A Mountain Man's Christmas

It was another early brisk morning and was a beautiful Christmas Eve, but for John it was just another day of hard work. When John got up at about four in the morning, he put on his coat and pants made out of buffalo pelts, which he killed the previous year. He then put on his favorite moccasins, then put on his beaver fur hat, and headed out the door.

When John went outside he went into the shed and grabbed his tools, he then went up to the roof of the shed and fixed the hole that let snow blow in and caused him to have to redry two of his beaver pelts laying in there getting ready to trade. When the sun was all the way up he put away his old trusty ax and hauled in the wood behind his cabin, to put into the fireplace.

John then went inside the cabin to the smell of bacon and potatoes that his wife was cooking. He took off his moccasins and coat, then went to wake up his kids. By the time he had them up and ready, breakfast was done. After they all finished eating he and his oldest daughter got into their fur coats and moccasins, while his wife and youngest kid cleaned up breakfast.

John and his daughter went outside to the shed to grab traps so they could set more by the stream about a half a mile away from their cabin because the morning before he saw some fresh otter tracks in the snow. He also grabbed his rifle just incase it was needed and some stakes to hold the traps down. Once they set the new traps and reset the trap from a beaver catch they brought the beaver to the shed for skinning and drying.

They then took the whole family for a long drive up town to trade and sell their pelts so they could finish Christmas shopping. They only could make this trip this time of year as the winter was unusually warm and the road was still open. Judging by the weather of late it was sure going to close in soon. Once they all went back home his family wrapped gifts and put them under the Christmas tree. Then they all went to bed early ready for Christmas morning to come.

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/24/21 11:57 PM

I'd like to officially welcome Lila & Grace to my Kids Contest again! Welcome back, ladies, very nice entries you've submitted!

Close to just 2 hours to go, will we have any more entries tonight?? I hope so!! Hurry kids!! You're almost out of T I I I I M E !!!
Posted By: coontraper

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 12:52 AM

[Linked Image]
The Christmas of God's Mountain Man
Jedediah Smith was a mountain that helped open the wagon trail to Oregon and California. Jed wasn't a whisky-drinkin, knife-Christiantotin and a gun-fightin man he was a bible fearing Christian. He was a man who loved finding new ways of traveling and when the west opened up he was eager to get people there. Jedediah loved spending Christmas with friends and opening gifts, but he never forgot the true meaning of Christmas, how Jesus was born into this world to save us.

In 1822 Jed was in St.Louis spending Christmas with family and friends. He was spending Christmas day siting in his rocking chair drinking hot coffee with some of his traveling friends and his old friend Dr. Titus Simons. Everybody was giving gifts and telling stories from the mountains, everybody loved the time when Jed had to fight a grizzly bear in a mountain.

Jed found himself spending Christmas everywhere with his traveling buddies. One time Jed and his friend's where spending Christmas in the freezing cold and rain because they could not ford a big river, with only two tents and not enough food to make them to the next village. They spent the day telling jokes and Jed told a short sermon. The whole day was spent in joy and for geting there troubles.The end.

Sawyer fetterolf

14 years old

Pennsylvania

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 01:13 AM

Let's all welcome Sawyer to the contest!! Nice job, buddy!

There's less than an hour left, and we have some very nice entries! I wonder who else may still be finishing up their stories??

The contest ends at 9 PM Eastern time, sharp!!

Best of Luck!!

Joe Goodman
Posted By: Alf Edwards

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 01:17 AM

[Linked Image]

PROLOGUE

Every year the old mountain man, Augustus Jedlicka would hunt and trap to stay alive. One spring while scouting out wild game he ran into a native hunter, by the name of Two Turtles, also scouting out animals. The native almost shot the old man but then realized the trapper and him should work together. They could share their knowledge on hunting, trapping, and surviving in the mountains.

Almost every single day they would go out and scout for elk sign and other big game. The mountain man would occasionally give the native wool fabric to take back to his tribe, where the women could make warm winter clothing for their families. In return the native would bring buckskin for the mountain man. He would also bring smoked fish for them to share while out scouting.

SEPTEMBER

Soon the rut was in full swing and the bull elk were starting to wander further from the herd. Almost every single day Augustus and Two Turtles would meet up and hunt together. After a week of not seeing many elk, on the coldest and windiest morning, they saw a very mature bull. They slowly and quietly crept up on the bull until they were withing range of Augustus' 54 caliber flintlock. As soon as Augustus shot, the bull immediately dropped dead. Two Turtles and Augustus devised a plan. Augustus beganthe process of skinning and deboning, Two Turtles headed back to camp for men and horses. After loading up the horses with the cut-up elk they headed back to camp.

NOVEMBER

During the rest of the month of September and all of October Augustus stayed in camp with Two Turtles and his tribe. Now, in late November the beaver fur was prime and it was time to lay steel. This gave Augustus and Two Turtles more time to share their knowledge of the wild. Early on they were having no luck, and the tribe began to run low on meat. Winter was setting in and the snow and ice were getting thick. They began to wonder if they would all survive this brutal winter.

DECEMBER

Indeed, they did survive, even though they were all very discouraged because they hadn't caught anything yet. They continued to check their lines every day. A week before Christmas they suddenly began to catch beaver! After that the catch just kept getting better and better. They suddenly had enough prime pelts to trade and beaver meat for food. Only one person thought they should trade the pelts, Augustus. The natives did not trust the English fur traders, but Augustus managed to persuade Two Turtles and the elders to let him take the pelts to trade on Christmas Eve.

When the sun began to peak over the horizon Augustus loaded up his horse and rode off to the trading post. It was at least 50 miles to town but he was determined to trade no matter how long it took. Around noon on Christmas day he returned back to camp. He showed everyone what he had recieve for the pelts. He managed to get some fresh beef, salted pork, spices, and more wool.

He gave the tribe all the items he had received. Then after saying his goodbyes he headed back to his cabin. He gave the tribe everything he has traded for to help them stay alive. Just as Jesus gave everything for us to be able to live with him for eternity.

-Cody Lynn Edwrards
Age 13
Illinois

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 01:24 AM

Welcome back to my contest, Cody Lynn! Great Job!!

Less than 40 minutes to go......

Joe Goodman
Posted By: MoSam

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 01:53 AM

Braelyn Howe
11 Years Old
Missouri

Once upon a time in 1971 there was a mountain man named Paul that trapped all the time. He was always making hats,rugs and lots more! On his off time (when it’s not trapping season) he likes to hang out in his warm cozy cabin he built with his wife and daughter. His cabin resides in Draanjik, Alaska along with his aircraft. Paul loves to drive the aircraft everywhere and look at the view from up above.

On Christmas about two years after he bought the aircraft he got in a bad crash when he was landing it to check his traps. He was all alone and couldn’t call anyone because he didn’t have a phone on him. He felt really bad because he was missing his daughters first ever Christmas and no way to get ahold of anyone! It was the worst thing that could happen to him at this moment. After thinking about it he thought why don’t I just draw a big S in the snow along with and O and another S.

A couple hours later he was hearing a aircraft about to come by so he started to wave his hands as much as he could and try to get the pilots attention. The pilot started to come to a landing. His wife was wondering where he was because he was normally back in about an hour but it had been at least three hours! Luckily Pauls wife was able to drive the snow mobile to some people that they know quite well and only live about 10 minutes away. The people were nice enough to let Pauls wife and daughter go check on Paul. Little did Paul know that his wife and daughter were there in the aircraft coming to get him. Paul was so relived when he saw them come out of the aircraft. Paul was always thankful for his family but even more thankful than ever that they were able to come save him.

story inspired by Marty Meirotto

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WakopaWalker

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 01:59 AM

Zachary Bonine age 13 [Linked Image]

Alnus shielded his eyes against the glare of the white snow as he watched the dark figure of his father disappear behind the snow clad towards the mountains. Alnus's dog, Laturan, tried to struggle free from his collar in order to follow.
“Quiet.” Alnus whispered, “He will be home before the solstice arrives.”
Alnus had a strange habit of speaking to Laturan as if the dog could understand his every word. However, even with the comfort of his dog a shadow of doubt hung over him. He cared for his father more than anyone and he and his family had been hearing wolves in the mountains through out the past few nights. The howls were eerie and strange. Alnus feared what would happen if the wolves caught his scent.
“No.” Alnus told himself. Even if the wolves did catch his father's scent they would have to find
him and if the wolves found him they would have to face his bow and arrows. Those arrows had meant death for several creatures and wolves were no exception
Alnus turned and walked back to his village with Laturan at his heels. The village that used to hold the people of Norvia consisted of ten small houses, a large barn, and the meeting house. The one thing that separated this village from any other in the north lands was the cold silence. No children played in the newly fallen snow. No fathers or mothers went about their work on that day. Now, the only sign of life in this cold waste land was two plumes of smoke rising from the western edge of the village.
In the first house lived a boy named Caryaus and his two sisters named Caltia and Caltha. Alnus passed their house by and walked up the steps of the second house. He pushed open the door and stepped inside. Alnus took one step forward and slipped on the ice that had accumulated in front of the door. A boy about his age instantly sprang from a seat by the fire and helped him up.
“Thanks Ulmus.” Alnus said.
Ulmus was a alf child that Alnus's family was charged to care for. Alfs were strange folk from up north they were said to dwell by a great lake at the foot of the mountains. Alnus did not know any more about them.
Alnus's mother was standing by the stove washing that morning's dishes. By the fire sat two other figures. The taller one was Ulmus's sister, Mirya, the smallest person in the room was Alnus's little sister, Ilia. Ilia was trying to watch Mirya teach her to use a drop spindle but Laturan was trying to
find a place by the fire. Alnus wished his father was there whittling some wood or telling a story.
“Did Da give any instructions on feeding the animals?” Ulmus asked.
“No” Alnus replied, “He only said that he would be back by the winter solstice.”
Ulmus grabbed his cloak of its' peg. “I suppose it is time to feed the animals.” He said. Then he walked out the door into the cold. Alnus called Laturan from his spot by the fire. Laturan stood and followed his master into the cold snow.
After Alnus recovered from the chill of stepping outside, he proceeded to meet Ulmus, Caryaus,
Caltia, and Caltha on their way to the barn. The five children were soon joined by Mirya.
After they reached the barn though the deep snow they each ran to do their tasks. Alnus run to milk the cow. Mirya lightly sprang up the ladder to the hay loft to look for eggs. Ulmus went to feed the chickens. Caltia and Caltha walked to the horse stall. And Caryaus followed Mirya to gather hay for the cows and sheep.
Alnus thought while he milked the cow. He remembered the last time his father went downstream to hunt the beaver. That time Alnus had gone with him. They had traveled downstream for a day and then found the beavers' lodge. They then chopped a hole in the ice near the entrance. Then they waited for a beaver to pass under the hole. Alnus's father had always stood ready over the hole with a spear in hand. Alnus usually stayed on the bank. Any movement at all on the ice would scare the beaver away.
As the milk hit the bucket, Alnus wondered how he could make his father's job easier than kneeling on the cold ice, holding absolutely still while waiting for a beaver that may never come, and skinning a beaver with cold hands.
Alnus lost his thoughts when Mirya came in to the cow's stall and said: “I could not find any eggs today. I think a predator might be eating them.”
Alnus was about to speak when Ulmus came in. “I think you had better come see this.” He said.
Alnus leaped to his feet and followed Ulmus through the barn to the chicken house. When they reached the chicken house Caryaus was already there. He stepped aside to let Alnus, Ulmus, and Mirya through. Alnus bit his lip and tried to breath. Eight chickens lay dead with their heads eaten. Three others were wounded. Feathers and crushed eggshells when scattered everywhere. A faint musky smell hung over the room.
While Alnus examined one of the dead bodies, Mirya searched a patch of dirt in the corner. She motioned for Ulmus to help her. They both looked at the ground and discussed the hunting habits of weasels.
Finally Mirya stood and stated that animal responsible was probably a mink. Caryaus smiled and started to draw in the dust. Alnus knelt down beside him to see better. What he saw was a strange device. Caryaus explained that it was made of two jaws that snapped shut when the spring were released. Alnus knew that Caryaus was a good blacksmith and good with mechanics. The design seemed to make sense. He only had two questions: “Will a larger design work for a beaver? And are you able to make it?”
Caryaus answered by leading them to the work shop and began making a fire in the forge.
That night after Mirya helped Caltia and Caltha home, three hammers still rang into the night.
The next morning Alnus was tired. After Ulmus and Caryaus left he stayed alone in the smith's shop. He had been so intent on his work that he did not hear the wolves howling louder than ever. Now Alnus
had two good traps. His father would not need to stand over an icy hole to hunt beaver. Alnus hid the traps under the hay stack and ran home to eat breakfast.
Six days passed, five had passed since the winter solstice and Alnus's father had not returned. Alnus was worried. So when Ilia asked if Alnus would fetch a green fir tree he left for the woods at once. For Alnus's family, green was a color of hope. So having a green fir tree was in a home was considered a symbol of undying hope. Also Alnus was tired from swinging the smiths hammer for these past few days and was glad for the break. He now had ten traps to give to his father.
Alnus knew these woods very well and it did not take him long to find a good tree. After he chopped it down he slowly dragged it back to his house.
That evening Alnus was eating supper when a call rang through out the valley. He knew the voice although the cry was wordless. Alnus ran outside and saw a familiar person walking easily through the

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 02:05 AM

Well, my 8th Annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing Contest is officially OVER!! I wish to thank all the kids that entered as well as their parents for allowing them. The judges will deliberate, debate, and maybe even argue for a while tonight. We will announce the winners tomorrow morning once Mrs. Claus has had her coffee & muffins!!

Thank you & Merry Christmas to the whole Trapperman family!!

The Goodman's
Joe, Julie & Carly

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 03:02 AM

Zachary:
Your story's ending was cut off. Please post the remaining part asap please!
Joe Goodman
Posted By: WakopaWalker

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 03:31 AM

Alnus ran outside and saw a familiar person walking easily through the snow. Altus ran to his returning father.

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 05:50 PM

And here are the WINNERS of the 8th annual Trapperman.com Kids Art & Writing Contest.......This was THE TOUGHEST Contest we’ve ever had to judge! So many great entries, a job well done by ALL!

IN THIRD PLACE….There is a TIE !…..

Cody Lynn Edwards, Age 13 from Illinois
-We loved your drawing of the tipi with the turtles, antlers & beaver hoop and how it tied into your story! Very nice!

Emma Pingel, Age 10 from Wisconsin!
-We really enjoyed your drawing of the girl wrapped in the fur hide & the story of the dream she had of her parents at Christmas! Well done!

You will BOTH receive $50 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!!

IN SECOND PLACE…..

Jordan Henderschott, Age 15 from Michigan!
-We really like the color and detail of your drawing and how you described the bacon and brought it all to life in your story! Great job!

You will receive $75 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!!

*AND the WINNER of the 8th Annual Trapperman.com Kids Art & Writing Contest IS…

LILA WOODALL, Age 13 from Michigan !!!! CONGRATULATIONS, LILA!
You will receive $100 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!!

-We felt your story really stuck to the theme “A Mountain Man Christmas” and we loved your overhead view of the stream with the beaver catch!! Well done!!!

*TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZES: You MUST have one of your parents PM me your USPS mailing address, along with their PERMISSION to send you your prize packages!

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners! And a THANK YOU to ALL the kids who entered!!! A special THANK YOU to PAUL DOBBINS for allowing us to do this for the kids, as well as hosting this amazing gathering place for trappers across the nation!!

Merry Christmas to all the Trapperman Family!!

The Goodman’s
Joe, Julie & Carly
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Alf Edwards

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 06:09 PM

Thank you so much Mr Goodman for having this annual contest! This is Codys 5th year doing it and we enjoy seeing the stories and drawings! Definitely a Christmas time tradition in our home! Congrats to all of you kids! Very creative and meaningful stories this year for sure! I pray you all have a wonderful Christmas and blessed coming year!
The Edwards Family:)

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 07:45 PM

Thank you so much for putting on this contest, my family always enjoys looking at the submissions and taking place in this contest. I hope we have another one next year and cant wait for the next contest.
-Lila Woodall
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/25/21 10:32 PM

Mr Goodman. Thank you for this contest. My daughter Jordan is a very good student and loves to draw. When I told her about the contest she got right on task and had it finished in no time. She was waiting for results today asking me to check every 15 minutes or so. She has been sick the past couple days with the flu. She was really glad she already had her entry in. Thank you again from our family to yours and all of Trapper Man, Merry Christmas.
The Hendershott Family
Greg, Tracy, Jordan and Avery
Posted By: Ryan333

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/26/21 03:44 AM

Thanks for doing this Mr. Goodman and congrats to Emma, Cody, Jordan, Lila Marry Christmas!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! - 12/27/21 03:54 PM

Dear Hendershott family!

Please check your private messages, as I will also need you to please reply to the message and provide your USPS mailing address, along with your written permission to send the prize package to Jordan! I will be sending the packet with prize money very soon, via USPS. Thanks so much for participating in my contest!

Thanks!
Joe Goodman
© 2024 Trapperman Forums