Home

light bulbs

Posted By: danny clifton

light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:27 AM

These L.E.D. bulbs are worse than awful. Not much better than candles. Where can you buy a decent light bulb now?
Posted By: EdP

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:35 AM

I buy the florescents when ever I can find them. They actually last. The LEDs are a sham.

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:39 AM

longevity isnt a problem, lack of light is
Posted By: k snow

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:40 AM

If they are tube flourescents, some of them it makes a difference which way they go in. There's a load and neutral end. In backwards, they are very dim.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:42 AM

Following
Posted By: adam m

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:43 AM

I find mine at lowes and home depot, costco.
I usually go with "Daylight" Light and dimmable. The warm light is not very bright.

the old style bulbs lit stuff up. these led bulbs do not. nothing but shadows
Posted By: k snow

Sorry, meant to say tube LED's. There should be a mark on each end, load and neutral.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
I find mine at lowes and home depot, costco.
I usually go with "Daylight" Light and dimmable. The warm light is not very bright.

Yeah, what Adam said. The daylight LED bulbs seem pretty bright, just get the right wattage.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:02 AM

I get all my LED's in the 4,500-5,000K range. That's a bright, white light.

I put four-foot LED strip lights in my shop and I get about 90 lumens per square foot. That's bright.

I got 250 watt equivalent LED bulbs on the outside fixtures on some of my outbuildings. They are very bright.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:10 AM

you can get crazy bright LED bulbs , the blue light frequency can be hard on the eyes

when we got new lights at work , it took me days to get used to them.

you may want to step up if it says 60W equivalent grab the 75W equivalent or the 100w equivalent

they also make the panel type and ones that look like florecent tubes

I have one like these looks liek a florecent tube in my basement very brite and will be getting more for the garage https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroL...8-LED-5000K-Tubes-SL602T1850-K/300380394

my brother just got some of these for his new workshop use the cheap edition base fixtures then screw in the bulbs https://www.amazon.com/Three-Leaf-C...amp;hvtargid=pla-1238792854251&psc=1

as I run things I am just putting outlets on the ceiling then using the hanging shop light type , that way when they do die it is just unplug and replace

Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:10 AM

You just have to buy ones powerful enough . We have completely chuanged over to LED"S and wont look back . The only incandescent we have are were we need a little heat .No more fluorescents either they never want to start in the cold

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
I buy the florescents when ever I can find them. They actually last. The LEDs are a sham.

I feel just the opposite,
Posted By: waggler

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:21 AM

Go online, like amazon, and search 100 watt light bulbs you'll find all sorts of incandescent bulbs. Cheap too.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 02:49 AM

I'm with Danny, for the shop/garage yes. For inside the house-NOOO!
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 02:53 AM

I oversee the maintenance dept of a big school district. We're switching everything over to LED's. Much more energy efficient and the bulbs last forever. Once in a while one fails but much, much less than anything we've used before.

But, there are junk Chinese bulbs out there.

You also need to purchase bulbs that are the right brightness. We are lighting parking lots with them with much brighter and whiter light than we had before. My home shop is all LED now and the lighting in there is much better and I'm spending less money on electricity to light them, and I will never have to change them again.

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I oversee the maintenance dept of a big school district. We're switching everything over to LED's. Much more energy efficient and the bulbs last forever. Once in a while one fails but much, much less than anything we've used before.

But, there are junk Chinese bulbs out there.

You also need to purchase bulbs that are the right brightness. We are lighting parking lots with them with much brighter and whiter light than we had before. My home shop is all LED now and the lighting in there is much better and I'm spending less money on electricity to light them, and I will never have to change them again.

Thats my expirence with them also if you get the propper LED they are superior to incandescent and fluorescent lights.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 03:46 AM

Around here, the thing to do for citys, is switch over to LED’s. Here of late, I see purple lights on street lights, that are so dim, ya might as well not have them. The white ones are pretty bright, but those purple ones are a joke!
Posted By: adam m

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 03:47 AM

X3

My garage has 1 thin flush mount led shop light which looks like florescent lights. It has a function where if you don't use a dimmer switch every click of the standard light switch changes the brightness. Warm- Daylight. Both lowes and home depot have them in stock.

Recessed lights are also dimmable and have a switch on the junction box that changes the lumens from warm to daylight.

I still have a few lights to replace from halogen to led but they are exterior lights and the kitchen lights are florescent and is old. Kitchen lights will be replaced with recessed led during remodel.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
longevity isnt a problem, lack of light is

80Watt equivalent LED bulbs are great for lighting up a room.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 05:55 AM

About 10 years ago Pete bought into the LED craze and replaced all the bulbs in the house! I wanted to throw them at him! They were worthless. Instead I threw them out/ stored them away and told him they died and replaced them with incandescents. I told him to never buy another LED for this house. Fast forward 5 years and we lived down here now and he outfitted the garage and lodge with LEDs and they're GREAT. Much brighter than an incandescent! So I recalled my previous comment and we have LEDs in most light fixtures now and I love them. I don't know a whole lot about them but I do know they had reasonably priced ones these days that are BETTER than what you're used to.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:13 PM

I do maintenance for our county schools.
We had close.to 100 buildings, at the 10 schools and shops.
We've...I've, started putting LEDs in all ofem.
No ballast and 2 wires to deal with. The company we buy
from gives us a 5 year warrenty and it's worked out so far.
Even had the emergency bulbs where there used to be a battery ballast
that we'd been paying around $170 for to go along with the regular ballast.
It is $58 for that bulb but we'll worth it. About all the outside (wall) lights that used
transformers and starters are replaced with LEDs. It's made my job so much easier.s
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:24 PM

I am changing everything over to LED, very white light and nice and bright. I like a bright room and that's what you get from the LED lights. If you buy the right ones.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Around here, the thing to do for citys, is switch over to LED’s. Here of late, I see purple lights on street lights, that are so dim, ya might as well not have them. The white ones are pretty bright, but those purple ones are a joke!

My guess is that the purple bulbs are metal halide, not LED. They were probably fine until the bright white LED's were installed next to them and made it obvious how not-white they are.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 12:38 PM

We use ECHO lights from Germany (I think Satco in TX makes them too) and the 100watt give off 7,000 lumens. They are AWESOME. We only needed to install 1/2 the light sockets in the new shop because they are so bright.... yet 100 watt draw.

They're around $40 a piece but 10 year life span.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:18 PM

It's all about the color range you choose. LED's are available in most of the range you see below. As I said above, I choose 5,000K for my shop. The purple lights you guys are seeing are probably LED's in the 10,000K range or higher.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 01:52 PM

When I buy bulbs, I see how much lumens, they are. That tells you how much lite its going to put off. More lumens, the brighter. And daylight bulbs, seem bright.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
When I buy bulbs, I see how much lumens, they are. That tells you how much lite its going to put off. More lumens, the brighter. And daylight bulbs, seem bright.

X2
It's all about the lumens
Have only had one led bulb go bad in a few years now. I like them.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 02:07 PM

I've gone all LED where can won't go back. I had lot 4ft florescent lights think only one left now are wife's grow lights. LED last way longer in ceiling fans. Just replaced one the other day was couple years old. When used regular incandescent bulbs would kill some in weeks. Think fans shake them.

Oh and I forget to mention. Here there power company has deal where you can ask for and get different energy saving device a year. So go on line sign up for say 6 free LE,D bulbs.ight want to look into that.

Mac
Posted By: Drifter

Re: light bulbs - 12/05/21 08:04 PM

This is the ones we changed to in the house LED Bulbs They are sold as 100 watt equivalent.

In the skinning shed I bought the 4 foot LED Lowe's was selling at the time for $50. Shop light Talk to the tech and they may have one even more bright.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums