Home

Weird egg no shell

Posted By: Law Dog

Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 09:14 PM

Reached in a nesting box to gather eggs today felt a soft sack knew what it was right away a egg with no shell on it happens from time to time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:08 PM

That's a hen in a hurry!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:27 PM

Calcium deficiency in the feed or something else going on?
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:35 PM

Its usually from a young hen just starting to lay. Their first several eggs can be like that.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:52 PM

I get one of those every now and then.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:55 PM

Worked on a farm many years ago that had 2000 laying hens, would see that quite often. That's what we had for breakfast many mornings.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 10:55 PM

My Old Friend Harris….called them
a Witches Eye
Posted By: billy

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 11:29 PM

ya they are good,we have seen a few of em.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 11:34 PM

Theyd be good for hard boiled eggs-no peeling.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/05/21 11:53 PM

Bigger egg not a smaller one they have oyster shell in their feed and run at all times just the luck of the draw. I have a couple older leghorn hens that are up in age and hit and miss on the laying they are my guess.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 01:29 AM

Either a young pullet or an older hen just coming out of molt are the usual suspects for these.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 01:36 AM

We had a few of them when the hens were young. Always a challenge to get them from the coop to the house without breaking.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 01:36 AM

Woke Chicken
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
My Old Friend Harris….called them
a Witches Eye

Hahaha!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 05:25 AM

When I was young our family raised 1800 laying chickens to sell eggs and stewing chickens. We used to get a few of the eggs with no shells. We also ate all the cracked ones. Boy did we eat a lot of eggs and egg products. It took 60 years later to find out they were not bad for us.

Bryce
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 07:22 AM

I get eggs with just the shell membrane and not the shell, often from my coturnix quail and occasionally from my chickens. The shell less quail eggs bounce pretty good if you don't throw them to hard. It's fun to watch the dogs go after them. They remind me of the little rubber balls we had as kids. The shell must puncture a normal egg when you drop it. It's possible the membrane is thickened and tougher on a shell less egg.

Keith
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 08:35 AM

I noticed them usually when the young hens start laying for the first time.
I like the membrane less ones inside the birds we get out of the geese in the spring. They are just yolks but go in the soup pot. My Laying hens have them too if I happen to butcher one.

And to Bryce's comment on finding out eggs were good for you. Its just another government lie that eggs and salt were the culprit for the poor heart health of the nation, when in fact it was sugar, carbs (grains) and grain oils thats responsible.

Eggs are a perfect food. They have every vitamin except vitamin C. And the cholesterol is good cholesterol. A person can eat three or four a day with no problems.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 11:39 AM

I've gotten a few of those over the years.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 11:41 AM

Got one yesterday like that
Some of my hens are coming off of moulting
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Weird egg no shell - 12/06/21 12:40 PM

Ive had that too.Usually from youg hens just starting to lay.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums