Home

Raccoon fat for sausage?

Posted By: Oysterman

Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 10:04 AM

Good morning! Thank all of you for being here. Has anyone tried using raccoon fat to add to venison for sausage? We don't eat pork so no pork fat. We could use chicken fat but want to make the most of the coons I will be getting. Thanks!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 10:54 AM

I don’t think you would like the end product. Coon fat is nasty in my opinion.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 11:00 AM

Welcome to the forum. I definitely wouldn't. Why don't you eat pork?!?!
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 11:04 AM

We get fat from our cows we butcher and it works fine

My buddy buys fat from his local butcher.

It would be a waste to go through all that work and ruin it it with raccoon fat
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 11:11 AM

if you want to utilize coon fat try your hand at soap making
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 11:29 AM

welcome if you try it , only make a little batch ,and let us know how it turns out
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by amspoker
We get fat from our cows we butcher and it works fine

My buddy buys fat from his local butcher.

It would be a waste to go through all that work and ruin it it with raccoon fat

This^^^
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:23 PM

maybe if you render the fat first, it may make good survival food, you'd only eat it to survive, LOL, let us know how it turns out.
Posted By: coop

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:27 PM

NO...
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:33 PM

I wouldn't use coon fat, I'd go with beef instead. I don't want to see you ruin a batch of venison and sausage by having something inedible. It's not my business but as why they don't eat pork my guess is they're Jewish. They don't eat pork.

Good luck with the sausage making.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:39 PM

I don’t think anyone has been pointed enough. Absolutely not. I get coon farts just fleshing them. I think my house would be Hiroshima 2 if I ate it!
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
I wouldn't use coon fat, I'd go with beef instead. I don't want to see you ruin a batch of venison and sausage by having something inedible. It's not my business but as why they don't eat pork my guess is they're Jewish. They don't eat pork.

Good luck with the sausage making.

Jews don't eat raccoons either... lol
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:58 PM

My first thought is absolutely sounds like a way to ruin a good bit of venison

My second thought was you must have fat coons and a bunch of them laugh

Beef fat if not pork
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 12:59 PM

Coon fat is for my boots,,not for me to ingest
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:05 PM

shocked Even I read the title and thought; " This has Got To be a wind up?! " laugh
Posted By: K52

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oysterman
Good morning! Thank all of you for being here. Has anyone tried using raccoon fat to add to venison for sausage? We don't eat pork so no pork fat. We could use chicken fat but want to make the most of the coons I will be getting. Thanks!

Best use for coon fat is throw in in the wood stove in the fur shed, there is a learning curve on the amount to add at a time, lol.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:36 PM

Gag.
Why would that ever be a good idea (coon fat for sausage)? Even the crows won't eat one off the road here.
They just decompose away into a grease spot on the road.
Jim
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:39 PM

Clean rendered coon fat makes an excellent cooking oil and great cracklings. Not sure how the fat would do to make venison sausage. The melting point is pretty low and once rendered it remains liquid down to around 40 degrees F or below.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:46 PM

You guys just been trolled…..lol…Otter Fat is the best for sausage
Posted By: k snow

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

I think I just threw up a little bit.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 01:52 PM

sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 02:17 PM

There's a solid market for rendered coon fat in Russia, especially in regions where various Turkic cultures are well represented, along with raccoon dog fat and groundhog fat. They are all used as a cheaper substitute for badger fat and bear fat; both are traditionally used to treat lung problems, especially in malnourished patients, and have become quite expensive during the pandemic (there might be a grain of truth to the belief, because of the high percentage of various unsaturated fatty acids and good cholesterol in these animals' fat, necessary for lung surfactant production, compared to ungulate fat). I'm not so sure about it's palatability, though, and there's also the risk of trichinosis if used in burgers... sick
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 02:25 PM

Nessie is right, I keep some crackers handy in the fur shed for cleaning off my fleshing knife when doing otter tails, that fatty gristle is to die for!! grin
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 02:33 PM

for all the guys that sell coon carcasses sure dont promote them very well their worth more than the fur
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 03:22 PM

Send me 50 pounds of oysters,,and I will send you 50 pounds of coon fat,,and you can try it in your sausage.PM me if interested. grin

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
There's a solid market for rendered coon fat in Russia, especially in regions where various Turkic cultures are well represented, along with raccoon dog fat and groundhog fat. They are all used as a cheaper substitute for badger fat and bear fat; both are traditionally used to treat lung problems, especially in malnourished patients, and have become quite expensive during the pandemic (there might be a grain of truth to the belief, because of the high percentage of various unsaturated fatty acids and good cholesterol in these animals' fat, necessary for lung surfactant production, compared to ungulate fat). I'm not so sure about it's palatability, though, and there's also the risk of trichinosis if used in burgers... sick

Western Siberia!!!!!???????????? What's your temperature today?

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

I felt a little queasy too....when I typed it...LMAO !
Posted By: Spade

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 04:32 PM

for info only:

Leviticus 11:7
And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.

But I wouldn't eat coon fat either. They smell bad enough just skinning them.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 04:41 PM

Just. Say. No.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 04:52 PM

Beef fat or bacon in sausage.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone! I have read baked coon used to be a popular dish. If I try this I will make a post.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 05:02 PM

Interesting confirmation of what I was told 25 years ago.
Back in the mid 90's I was helping a recent Russian immigrant friend of mine from far east Siberia obtain black bear fat that he was sending to Israel and other far-away places. He told me that bear fat was used to treat tuberculosis. He said if bear fat wasn't available, then badger fat was second best, and if any of the preferred fats are not available then dog fat was used.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 05:05 PM

OP;
If you won't eat pork, why in the world would you eat raccoon. Raccoon does not fit into Levitical dietary protocols either.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 05:35 PM

Just taahget those cud chewing coon...just to be safe
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone! I have read baked coon used to be a popular dish. If I try this I will make a post.

we didnt say we never ate coon.,we said we wouldnt eat coon fat. I ate many a coon.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 06:35 PM

Have you considered Goat or Sheep fat?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 06:43 PM

Coon fats good for fire starter, but to eat it???? sick
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 06:43 PM

I love bear fat, its mouthwatering. I believe coon and bear are cousins so the fat should be the same. But don't eat too much at once as you will get the trots. And then be aware both coon and bear are parasitic so bring the fat to a boil.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 06:55 PM

If plan on eating one learn where the glands are and remove them before cooking.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 06:58 PM

Dang.....sounds like tough times are coming down the pike.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
If plan on eating one learn where the glands are and remove them before cooking.

I think the glands are likely what give rendered coon fat the off flavor too.

Keith
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

-15F and falling... a nice change after several weeks of near-freezing temperatures with slush/snow.

Originally Posted by waggler
He said if bear fat wasn't available, then badger fat was second best, and if any of the preferred fats are not available then dog fat was used.

This is correct. In fact, badgers here are harvested almost exclusively for their fat, and their skins are often discarded, because there's little demand for their fur and tanning is expensive. This season, local trappers sell badger fat for up to RUR 2000 per 100 g ($7.5 per ounce), meaning that a big badger can bring you around $250 (and it is even more expensive in pharmacies and health food stores). As for dog fat, it is still a popular remedy in Russia's prison culture, because of malnourishment and rampant tuberculosis...
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 08:16 PM

I tried raccoon , you should try cooking one up before you try sausage

if you like it as a dish maybe you will like it in sausage maybe
definitely try gravy before you try making it into sausage
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/06/21 08:26 PM

Please do . I've been thinking of trying it myself , just never had any when i made sausage . If you do be very aware of your temp because if you get it to hot it will melt and go to the outside of your sausage . But you have to get it to temp of lethality.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 12:34 AM

People that are starving will eat most anything, including pork.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 12:48 AM

Raccoon round worm eggs, larva, are bad news if ingested. Read up on them, I would eat the bark off a tree before I would put coon fat in sausage and eat it.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 12:49 AM

yuck!!

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 01:59 AM

I’d eat one of Flippers pies…before I put coon fat in a sausage……LOL !
Posted By: Boco

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 02:05 AM

Why not just make coon sausages with both coon meat and coon fat-never mind the hybrid stuff.
Serve some to your friends after plying them with booze to see how fast they gobble it up.Then Youll know how delicious it is.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

-15F and falling... a nice change after several weeks of near-freezing temperatures with slush/snow.

Originally Posted by waggler
He said if bear fat wasn't available, then badger fat was second best, and if any of the preferred fats are not available then dog fat was used.

This is correct. In fact, badgers here are harvested almost exclusively for their fat, and their skins are often discarded, because there's little demand for their fur and tanning is expensive. This season, local trappers sell badger fat for up to RUR 4000 per 100 g ($15 per ounce), meaning that a big badger can bring you around $250 (and it is even more expensive in pharmacies and health food stores). As for dog fat, it is still a popular remedy in Russia's prison culture, because of malnourishment and rampant tuberculosis...

You should post here more often. I find your posts really interesting. smile
Posted By: Boco

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spade
for info only:

Leviticus 11:7
And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.

But I wouldn't eat coon fat either. They smell bad enough just skinning them.

That guy never ate bacon.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 04:30 AM

I love bacon. I eat it every day. It keeps my mind off the chest pains I keep having. laugh
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by k snow

I did too. The worm pieces in the coon fat mainly. Also the greasy taste, like motor oil. Motor oil tastes better in my opinion.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 01:15 PM

Coon Fat is only good for fuel in the outdoor wood furnace.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 10:52 PM

I've eaten many coon growing up.
Always processed ASAP after harvest, as much fat removed from the carcass as possible.
Unless being grilled , parboiled and even more fat amongst the muscles removed .
Then fried or what ever else you wish to try.

But as stated.
A carcass in a pile quickly becomes inedible to even the hungriest of animals.
Pondered it often and I believe its the fat.
I believe that non rendered coon fat breaks down very quickly, into a toxic substance.
Would be interested in others thoughts.

To the OP
I would not even consider using the fat that way.
But if you do go small, Odds are it will be discarded.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/07/21 11:00 PM

If coyotes wont eat it or bobcat why would you.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/08/21 02:16 AM

I worked for a deer processor one winter, always used beef.
Went to the local grocery store and bought beef fat for pennies on the pound.
Sometimes you need to ask ahead of time, so it’s not chunked in the dumpster
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/08/21 08:58 PM

Coon fat was a great firestarter when I had my outdoor wood boiler. But, if you were to add it to sausage, you would end up throwing the sausage away. If you don't eat pork, use beef fat or mix your venison with ground beef that has a higher fat content.

People I have spoken to that baked coon said, you MUST get every bit of fat off the meat or you won't be able to eat it. The fat taints the meat.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/08/21 10:27 PM

My mother in law barbecued a coon for me 40 years ago. We ate it and it was edible but I didn't ask her to do another one. Can't remember to what extent we went to to remove the fat.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/08/21 10:55 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. I am pretty sure I am going to render the coon fat and purify it and try to sell it. Might try mixing some de-fatted coon meat into some venison, but a very small batch. My wife doesn't eat pork because it makes her bowels act up for some reason. She cones from Amish stock and the Amish are fine with pork so I don't try to understand, I just accept.

Re: Raccoon fat for sausage? - 12/08/21 11:55 PM

too much information....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums